1983 Beirut barracks bombings: Why does Lebanon never remember fallen soldiers?

Do you consider the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing a terrorist act?

• Yes

• No

• I Don't Know

Results are only viewable after voting.
manifesto

manifesto

35 years ago, two suicide bombers detonated truck bombs at the US and French barracks, killing 241 American and 58 French military personnel,

The horrific attack on the multinational peacekeepers was allegedly perpetrated by Hezbollah.
It was the worst single-day loss for the US military since WWII, and the biggest French loss since the end of the Algerian War.

I think it's really shameful that Lebanon never commemorates or pays tribute to these fallen soldiers, especially considering they were in Lebanon on a peacekeeping mission. Is there a reason behind this?

• Advertisement
  • SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Note: There was no 'Hezbollah' in 1983. The party was declared publicly in 1985.

S

Saj

Why should Lebanon ever pay tribute to ANY foreign soldiers who occupied and attacked our country? And why are you, a Lebanese, concerned about the worst death toll in US military history? The best way for your soldiers to not die is to keep them out of other countries’ affairs.

They were not on a peacekeeping mission, they were there to shell whatever Israel and Amine Gemayel needed them to shell. I wish they were still alive and had never come to Lebanon in the first place, but they did. You get involved in war and the people you shoot at will shoot back.

manifesto

manifesto

Note: There was no 'Hezbollah' in 1983. The party was declared publicly in 1985.
    Just because the party was publicly declared in 1985 doesn't mean its founding fathers had been sitting idle until then. Hezbollah was actually born in 1980. Imad Mughniyeh was alive and kicking, and had already carried out plenty of operations against American targets.

I actually find that the barracks bombing falls very much in line with Hezbollah's manifesto, which counts among its objectives the expulsion of "the Americans, the French and their allies definitely from Lebanon, putting an end to any colonialist entity on our land".

All fingers point to Hizbullah/Iran. They have committed one of the ugliest terrorist crimes in history, which scarred the face of Lebanon forever, and turned it from "Switzerland of the East" to "Afghanistan of the West".

S

Saj

Just because the party was publicly declared in 1985 doesn't mean its founding fathers had been sitting idle until then. Hezbollah was actually born in 1980. Imad Mughniyeh was alive and kicking, and had already carried out plenty of operations against American targets.

I actually find that the barracks bombing falls very much in line with Hezbollah's manifesto, which counts among its objectives the expulsion of "the Americans, the French and their allies definitely from Lebanon, putting an end to any colonialist entity on our land".

All fingers point to Hizbullah/Iran. They have committed one of the ugliest terrorist crimes in history, which scarred the face of Lebanon forever, and turned it from "Switzerland of the East" to "Afghanistan of the West".
    Terrorism is an act against civilians. The barracks bombing was against US troops who were active combatants in the war in Lebanon. This was not terrorism.

manifesto

manifesto

Why should Lebanon ever pay tribute to ANY foreign soldiers who occupied and attacked our country? And why are you, a Lebanese, concerned about the worst death toll in US military history? The best way for your soldiers to not die is to keep them out of other countries’ affairs.

They were not on a peacekeeping mission, they were there to shell whatever Israel and Amine Gemayel needed them to shell. I wish they were still alive and had never come to Lebanon in the first place, but they did. You get involved in war and the people you shoot at will shoot back.
    They were killed in their sleep. They weren't on the battlefield. This in itself amounts to a war crime.

I care about them because they're honorable soldiers who came to Lebanon to oversee the evacuation of the vermin PLO.
    If they knew their sacrifices would be met with ungratefulness, they would have probably stayed home.

Shame on you for attempting to justify this crime.

S

Saj

Agree Manifesto. I too wish they stayed home. They’d still be alive. Instead they died for nothing and killed some Lebanese along the way.

American soldiers sleep but so do Syrian, Israeli, PLO soldiers. All humans sleep. Happy to know you’re dignified enough not to attack your enemy’s soldiers while they’re sleeping. If you were in war they’d probably attack you while you were sleeping tho.

PS, go see what your “honorable soldiers” did to Fallujah, what they did to Vietnam. Even a lot of Americans won’t romanticize them. There are great people who become American soldiers, but then they are beholden to the orders of the US gov’t and their being great people no longer matters.

Last edited:
    S

Saj

As for who did it, technically Hizballah did not exist, but the people who went on to create Hizballah were involved. So I voted for the option “a group linked to Hizballah and Iran.”

manifesto

manifesto

Terrorism is an act against civilians. The barracks bombing was against US troops who were active combatants in the war in Lebanon. This was not terrorism.

They are "peace-keeping" forces who came to Lebanon at the request of the Lebanese Government to assist the army in the evacuation of PLO.

They were not authorized to engage in combat (except in self defense).

Of course it was an act of terrorism.

S

Saj

They are "peace-keeping" forces who came to Lebanon at the request of the Lebanese Government to assist the army in the evacuation of PLO.

They were not authorized to engage in combat (except in self defense).

Of course it was an act of terrorism.
    Amine Gemayel welcoming Americans is legitimate, Sarkis/Hrawi/Lahoud welcoming the Syrians is not? Cairo Agreement welcoming the PLO is not? Kataeb welcoming Israel is not?

Sounds like your priority isn’t Lebanon’s sovereignty. :)

manifesto

manifesto

Amine Gemayel welcoming Americans is legitimate, Sarkis/Hrawi/Lahoud welcoming the Syrians is not? Cairo Agreement welcoming the PLO is not? Kataeb welcoming Israel is not?

Sounds like your priority isn’t Lebanon’s sovereignty. :)
    I don't like the Gemayel family, but Amin represented the Christian street at the time.

Lahoud and Hrawi would not get more than 100 votes had they been directly elected by the people.

Also, the USA and France had no intentions to occupy Lebanon. Unlike Syria who has long dreamt of annexing our country.

manifesto

manifesto

@SeaAb Is it possible to add another poll to the same thread?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Duh, because Muslims. Why ask the obvious? They celebrate the killing of innocent people, very sick indeed. It's considered one of the biggest accomplishment of Hezbollah, so you can see the kind of people we're dealing with.

S

Saj

I don't like the Gemayel family, but Amin represented the Christian street at the time.

Lahoud and Hrawi would not get more than 100 votes had they been directly elected by the people.

Also, the USA and France had no intentions to occupy Lebanon. Unlike Syria who has long dreamt of annexing our country.
    Amin was the za3im of more Christians than Lahoud or Hrawi, yes. They weren’t particularly popular or with parties behind them. But if you count every Lebanese in the 10,452km and ask them all “who did you like more as president” I’d venture a guess as many people say Lahoud as Gemayel, if not more.

The USA literally blew up nearly 100 people in Beirut in a failed attempt to assassinate Fadlallah. They bankroll’d the Israeli invasion in 1982 in which 10,000 - 20,000 people died. They sold Lebanon to the Saudis and the Syrians in 1989. It’s outrageous that I’m on a Lebanese forum and there’s a post asking why a foreign army with blood of your fellow countrymen on their hands isn’t mourned. Your thread wasn’t even a reaction to someone mourning Palestinian or Syrian soldiers. I’d understand if you posted this in response to someone saying allah yer7am Arafat or something. But there’s no pretext except you loving an army of a country that killed your people, sells your people out over and over again, funds the takfiris that vow Christian genocide right across the border, tells our government not to take 24/7 electricity or decent military weapons from Russia or Iran yet will not give us the same. I’m dumbstruck that in 2018 some Lebanese still have the wannabe white complex. They don’t care about you or me bro. Kissinger was ready to load the Christians out of Lebanon in a heart beat if it made Lebanon the new Palestine.

Mysobalanus

Mysobalanus

(1) Lebanon had asked for them. (2) They were not an occoupational force but peace corps that did social and environmental activities. (3) They had some of their children in the building. (4) Terrorism is the use of terror to achieve political gains (such as through suicide bombers). (5) Lebanon could have asked for them to be removed using a political approach. (6) **** Hezbollah.

S

Saj

(1) Lebanon had asked for them. (2)
    Lebanon also asked for the Syrians and Israelis and legitimized the PLO presence. By now you should know in civil war with 20 different militias maybe citing a government as an authority when the majority of the country doesn’t even follow the government is dishonest. The majority of people living in Lebanon - between the Muslims and the Christians of Marada, SSNP, Communists, etc - did not support the US presence.

They were not an occoupational force but peace corps that did social and environmental activities.
    Man knock if off, the CIA THEMSELVES will tell you they killed people - not combatants, civilians - in Lebanon.

3) They had some of their children in the building.
    Allah yer7amon w allah yer7am all the kids lost in war min Maya Gemayel la Jihane Franjieh la the children of Sabra and Shatila.

(4) Terrorism is the use of terror to achieve political gains (such as through suicide bombers).
    In that case the US government partakes in terror worldwide. Vietnam, Iraq, the funding of the massacres in Yemen, Syria, and Gaza.

(5) Lebanon could have asked for them to be removed using a political approach.
    What is Lebanon in 1983? Ma t2ili Amine Gemayel. Why didn’t “Lebanon” just ask to end the civil war if all it takes is asking?

(6) **** Hezbollah.
    You have the right to that opinion. I’m critical of them when they do something that warrants criticism. Overall think they’ve done far more good than harm in Lebanon - from liberating our land from Israel and being the only thing keeping tawteen on our lands from being a reality to losing over a thousand fighters to keep the takfiris away. Without Hizballah ISIS would have reached Beirut. Also admire their minimal role in the civil war. By far the least civilian blood on their hands of all the modern factions that had militias during the war, most of their efforts were dedicated to fighting Israel and Jeish al Lahad. The worst innner fighting Hizballah partook in was against other Shia in Amal.

lebnan_lilkel

lebnan_lilkel

Orange Room Supporter
    Lebanon also asked for the Syrians and Israelis and legitimized the PLO presence. By now you should know in civil war with 20 different militias maybe citing a government as an authority when the majority of the country doesn’t even follow the government is dishonest. The majority of people living in Lebanon - between the Muslims and the Christians of Marada, SSNP, Communists, etc - did not support the US presence.

Man knock if off, the CIA THEMSELVES will tell you they killed people - not combatants, civilians - in Lebanon.

Allah yer7amon w allah yer7am all the kids lost in war min Maya Gemayel la Jihane Franjieh la the children of Sabra and Shatila.

In that case the US government partakes in terror worldwide. Vietnam, Iraq, the funding of the massacres in Yemen, Syria, and Gaza.

What is Lebanon in 1983? Ma t2ili Amine Gemayel. Why didn’t “Lebanon” just ask to end the civil war if all it takes is asking?

You have the right to that opinion. I’m critical of them when they do something that warrants criticism. Overall think they’ve done far more good than harm in Lebanon - from liberating our land from Israel and being the only thing keeping tawteen on our lands from being a reality to losing over a thousand fighters to keep the takfiris away. Without Hizballah ISIS would have reached Beirut. Also admire their minimal role in the civil war. By far the least civilian blood on their hands of all the modern factions that had militias during the war, most of their efforts were dedicated to fighting Israel and Jeish al Lahad. The worst innner fighting Hizballah partook in was against other Shia in Amal.
    Very good analysis. The issue with the US was their role was to save Israel ass because they were bleeding heavily and they needed to withdraw. The Lebanese government couldn't sign a truce. The Christian's in power refused to legitimise the Israeli presence. Israel passed on Lebanon to Syria as a revenge reaction. What the druze did in the wake of that was unforgivable. They benefited from Israel and syria.
    For the US, Unfortunately they didn't learn the lesson from Vietnam. We all love the american people but their governments repeatedly make massive mistakes by sucking up to the Jewish lobby to remain in power. Since then they have lost good men in Lebanon iraq and afganistan. Shame Trump is still threatening. The US as a country has done a lot for Lebanon and even better for our expats. We want a strong US but a fair one. What works there doesn't work everywhere.

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin

I voted 'A jihadist group linked to Iran'. I know elements of the current HA were behind the attacks. I was not disputing that claim. I was just pointing out that technically there wasn't any group called HA at the time. Now, carry on with your bashing session. :)