2019 Coronavirus Disease "COVID-19" [10,000,000 Confirmed Cases Worldwide]

• Advertisement
  • snacker23

snacker23

considering we were hit hard with SARS some 17 years ago here in Toronto, i went yesterday to buy a few surgical masks as a precaution... all stores already ran out! i checked with a friend of mine in Vancouver, same.. all stores ran out (even auto shops). Finally found one on amazon that i was able to order.

Call me paranoid, but after SARS, not taking any chances!
    Can you please share with us some details about the amount of damage SARS had caused at the time? how bad was it?

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Can you please share with us some details about the amount of damage SARS had caused at the time? how bad was it?
    I am not a scientist or biologist in any stretch of imagination, but from reading (extensively) about Coronavirus and Sars in the last couple of days, i can say a few things about them. The two are difficult to compare at this point because:
    1- coronavirus is still new and biologists/medical staff are still learning about it.
    2- it is not clear how much the Chinese government is being transparent about it.. while official numbers say 2000 have been infected and 51 dead, there are unofficial leaks from Wuhan saying that actual infections exceed 100,000. The fact that President Xi Jinping said that the situation is very grave tells you that it is probably much worse than officially reported
    2- SARS was subject to serious media blackout, which made it harder to track in the early days.

that said, here is what is known so far:

- SARS was slower to spread, despite the lack of readiness globally. The first reported infection was in Nov 2002 in China. By Feb 2003, 350 cases were identified. By April 2003, 3000 cases were confirmed, and by July it was contained, with 8,098 total number of cases, and 774 dead.
    - Coronavirus seems to be spreading faster, with over 2000 in than 2 months... but again, this is based on disclosed information, there might be much more.
    A few medical facts though:
    - SARS was more infectious in terms of rate of infections per person (R0). SARS' R0 was 2-5 people; i.e. every infected person is expected to infect 2-5 other people, which is considered high... Coronavirus' R0 to date is estimated to be 2-3. While lower than SARS, it still considered a very infectious virus taht needs to be contained.
    - SARS' incubation period was 2-7 days (max 10). I.e. symptoms would appear 2-7 days after getting the virus. the new Coronavirus' incubation period is 14 days! this means you might be carrying the virus for 14 days without knowing it. So for those testing at airports, this renders the tests not that effective.
    - SARS was not contagious during the incubation period.. this means in the first 2-7 days of infection, and before you show any symptoms, you cannot give the virus to anyone. Only when symptoms appear (fever, cough, difficulty breathing) that you are at risk of infecting others. Coronavirus is now being reported by the chinese health authority as being contagious EVEN DURING the incubation period. So someone who has the virus could look very healthy, traveling on planes and trains, going to work, spreading the virus without knowing it. That's what's dangerous about it.

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    this sh!t is getting sh!ttier!

Chinese health chiefs warn coronavirus is growing ‘stronger’, MUTATION closely monitored by scientists
    the situation seems worse than you might think

this video message from a nurse in Wuhan gathered 4M views so far
    Claiming that the number of confirmed cases is 90k

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin

and that's from a few days ago...
    btw, the price of the mask i ordered 2 days ago on Amazon just went up 30%!

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

The medical staff is wearing diapers because they don't even have time to go to the bathroom

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Britain just confirmed the first case of coronavirus

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Wuhan Mayor expects confirmed cases in the city will rise by another 1,000