2019 Coronavirus Disease "COVID-19" [5,000,000 Confirmed Cases Worldwide]

• Advertisement
  • My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Check this out

Thanks Mikey, I knew about the Philadelphia vs St-Louis stories. What I was wondering about was the extent to which the concept of social isolation was globally widespread and implemented, because as we know, the Flamenco pandemic ended up reaping 50-100 million people world wide.

Had the Spanish flu virus such a potent mortality effect despite the concept of social isolation and lockdown being implemented by all affected countries?
    Or was it more the lack of contemporary information spread and failure to impose the measures we are doing today that affected the final, so massively deadly, outcome of the pandemic?

Last edited:
    Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    Yet again, America is well below Iranian, Asian, and European numbers. To all those lambasting Trump for his performance, and trying to convince us of how great the European healthcare system is compared to America’s...well, the numbers don’t lie!

The USA will soon be able to help the rest of the world deal with this crisis, given that a lot of countries haven’t been doing that good of a job.

It truly pains me to say this, but the USA's tribulations haven't even started yet.
    I really wouldn't gloat about this if I were you... Besides the fact that those numbers are people who are actually dying out there and not some scoreboard to be used in a silly political ****-measuring contest, I don't see your comments aging well at all. In fact, I have a feeling the USA will, unfortunately, take a very, very hard hit from this pandemic.

vegojimbo

vegojimbo

Legendary Member
    Thanks Mikey, I knew about the Philadelphia vs St-Louis stories. What I was wondering about was the extent to which the concept of social isolation was globally widespread and implemented, because as we know, the pandemic ended up reaping 50-100 million people world wide.

Had the Spanish flu virus such a potent mortality effect despite the concept of social isolation and lockdown being implemented by all affected countries?
    Or was it more the lack of contemporary information spread and failure to impose the measures we are doing today that affected the final, so massively deadly, outcome of the pandemic?
    1- the big death was due to the poor health of the populace. They just had world war 1, many of the soldiers had poor hygiene and bad nutrition, and also there was not much food for the populace. With poor nutrition, the immune system will be weak, and the infected more susceptible to succomb to their disease

2- not much social isolation done bc most western countries had an iron grip on their newspapers, the only source of news at the time. Only Spain allowed its press to fully cover the pandemic.

3= the western countries were starting to rebuild their economies after the devastation of WW1. A lockdown would have ruined their economies and caused famine. So they opted for the herd immunity approach and as a consequence tens of millions died.

4- the pandemic actually lasted many years, with the deaths decreasing in summer and the disease reemerging in Autumn and Winter. It actually started during WW1 and lasted till 2020.

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    1- the big death was due to the poor health of the populace. They just had world war 1, many of the soldiers had poor hygiene and bad nutrition, and also there was not much food for the populace. With poor nutrition, the immune system will be weak, and the infected more susceptible to succomb to their disease

2- not much social isolation done bc most western countries had an iron grip on their newspapers, the only source of news at the time. Only Spain allowed its press to fully cover the pandemic.

3= the western countries were starting to rebuild their economies after the devastation of WW1. A lockdown would have ruined their economies and caused famine. So they opted for the herd immunity approach and as a consequence tens of millions died.

4- the pandemic actually lasted many years, with the deaths decreasing in summer and the disease reemerging in Autumn and Winter. It actually started during WW1 and lasted till 2020.
    Thanks vego. Any idea about the mortality rate, biologically speaking, of that flu compared to this one, if we even out the various differences of the different eras including the socio-economics and political? In oder words, do we know if that flu had a deadlier composition?

NewLeb

NewLeb

It truly pains me to say this, but the USA's tribulations haven't even started yet.
    I really wouldn't gloat about this if I were you... Besides the fact that those numbers are people who are actually dying out there and not some scoreboard to be used in a silly political ****-measuring contest, I don't see your comments aging well at all. In fact, I have a feeling the USA will, unfortunately, take a very, very hard hit from this pandemic.
    So it’s only a contest when American numbers are touted? If I had a lira for ever internet comment I read lampooning Trump and being critical of the American performance so far, I’d have enough money to buy Lebanon’s debt (which isn’t a bad idea now that I think about it). This is especially uncanny given that China and Iran deserve most of the blame, but everyone seems to want to fixate on Trump.:banghead::banghead:

I think the worst has already passed us, and the markets being over 1000 points today is a good testament to my assertion.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Do you know if they admit anyone who shows up at their door for testing, if you are willing to pay? Or only those with severe symptoms AND are willing to pay?

And in that case, what about those who can't afford?
    i am not sure, but i know that the test kits are not all that abundant in Leb, so they are saving them up for serious cases. in other words if a 20 years old shows up with the symptoms, they would advise self quarantine and would not run a test.

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    No worries, the Lt Gov of Texas said the elderly are happy to die to support the economy ...

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Effective midnight tonight, all Ontario non-essential businesses will have to shut down. Excluded businesses that are considered essential include:
    - grocery stores
    - pharmacies
    - hardware stores
    - gas stations
    - car repair shops
    - pet supply stores
    - liquor stores
    - businesses that provide material and services for other essential services
    - restaurants (take outs and delivery only)
    - and others (long list).

Which prompted this :lol: :lol: :lol: :

T

Thoma

All religious institutions have closed their doors during this outbreak waiting for scientists to find a cure and when they do they'll thank god for saving humanity. #7asheesh :cigar:
    Thanks be to the religious institutions for giving us science in the first place, and setting it as a servant of humanity, and for being the bedrock and compass upon and via which science exists and is directed in the right direction (towards the fulfillment of its purpose). Scientists - simply by virtue of practicing their science - are fulfilling that religiously assigned role, no matter how much some of them may scream and yell in denial (and get parroted thereafter by a large gathering of people out of sheer ignorance/wickedness).

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Thanks be to the religious institutions for giving us science in the first place, and setting it as a servant of humanity, and for being the bedrock and compass upon and via which science exists and is directed in the right direction (towards the fulfillment of its purpose). Scientists - simply by virtue of practicing their science - are fulfilling that religiously assigned role, no matter how much some of them may scream and yell in denial (and get parroted thereafter by a large gathering of people out of sheer ignorance/wickedness).
    Thank you!!!! people don't understand that science on its own is worth NOTHING.. it is useless and never solves anything.. it is science supported by thoughts and prayers that actually finds solutions to world problems.

ARE YOU SERIOUS NOW??? so 3am betrabbi7 el scientists jmile enno they wouldn't have existed without religious institutions?? or you mean they should thank you for keeping them alive and not burning them on a stick for heresy!