• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

A new Hollywood movie about Lebanon civil war called Beirut

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Caught in the crossfire of civil war, CIA operatives (Rosamund Pike) send a former U.S. diplomat (Jon Hamm) to negotiate for the life of a friend he left behind.

• Advertisement
  • The Jade

A quick wiki search of the director shows that he went to a jewish college.....
    Which is what the bureau of censorship and the zealots will use to ban and discredit the movie.

Looking forward to the movie though!

Anderson (born 1964) is an American film director, producer and writer.[1] A director of thriller and horror films and television projects, he is best known for having directed The Machinist (2004), starring Christian Bale, and The Call (2013), starring Halle Berry. He also produced and directed several installments of the FOX science fiction television series Fringe.

Early life[edit]
    Anderson was born in Madison, Connecticut, the son of Pamela Taylor Anderson, a community services administrator.[2] He is the nephew of Emmy Award-winning actress Holland Taylor. Before he began his film career, he attended Bowdoin College, a Jewish college, where he majored in anthropology and Russian. He then went to London to finish his film education then returning to Boston.

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    A quick wiki search of the director shows that he went to a jewish college.....
    Which is what the bureau of censorship and the zealots will use to ban and discredit the movie.

Looking forward to the movie though!
    I think the movie was shot in Morocco even. Not in Lebanon

The Jade

Morocco and other north african countries have seen super productions.
    Movies like Bourne Ultimatum, Game of Thrones, Inception, American Sniper, Gladiator, etc were filmed there.

Their governments have supported and funded this type of business.

I wouldn't blame the studios not to film in Lebanon despite us having great locations.

Yeah I came accross a snipet a long time ago on youtube posted by one of the cameramen (or someone that worked on the production) , supposedly it was depicting the Beirut airport . When I asked where that was shot, he told me Morocco. It seems most movies are shot there, especially if anything needs to be "exotic"...or if they need a desert..
    I'm always excited when I see foreign movies shot in Lebanon, it's becoming quite rare. A lot of movies from 60s or was it 70s were shot in Beirut, but can't seem to find their names. There was a Lebanese movie I watched as a kid called Il etait une fois Beyrouth that took excerpts from those movies, but can't find it anywhere either. I remember there was one sci-fi movie where a superhero of some sort jumps off the balcony of Phoenicia hotel haha! Wish I could watch it somewhere...
    Maybe we should make a thread for foreign movies shot in Lebanon??? Anyone interested??

Red Phoenix

Looks interesting

Can't tell tho if its good or stupid just from the trailer

I like the main actor tho, he has an air of je ne sais quoi responsibility

For instance u can put him in a scene where spongebob is threating to kill his pet poodle with a frankfurter and he would still seem serious

Indie

Staff member
    I got interested seeing the thread title but the trailer was disapointing.

As a typical action / suspense movie, it looks fine. But it is not a movie about Lebanon or its civil war.

It is just another hollywood plot about good Americans and bad Arabs, that happens to have the Lebanese civil war as a background.

Aren't these people done with the "Beirut as a war torn city" cliché, yet?

Indie

Staff member
    weak.

Movie with title Beirut shot in Morocco!? I couldn't even stand watching some of the shots in the trailer :)
    And the accent!!! No one in Beirut speaks English with that accent. It's not just the movie that's in the 80's, but some people's mentality as well.

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    You can't be serious about this critique of this upcoming movie that it's about Beirut and shot in Morocco. It is a common occurrence within the movie industry. Much more common with lower budget films, but can also be present in high budget films.

Filming location - Wikipedia
    http://listverse.com/2017/11/06/10-movies-you-had-no-idea-were-filmed-in-the-wrong-locations/

Btw, Incendies is also a movie about a fictional story that's heavily influenced, if not outright set, in the Lebanese civil war. The movie was filmed in Montreal and Jordan. Beirut is also a fictional story set in Lebanese civil war -- it doesn't attempt to tell the story of what happened during the actual war, as it is not a documentary.

Last edited:

Muki

Orange Room Supporter
    It doesn't matter if it was meant to be a documentary or not. Its a story about Beirut and it will give a certain image.
    That has nothing to do with where the movie was filmed, or who the cast are. You are critiquing the plot of the movie, which is a fair critique. Did you expect otherwise from American cinema?

If the movie was shot in Beirut, with the same plot, your critique would still stand: it's a story about Beirut and it will give a certain image.

Indie

Staff member
    You can't be serious about this critique of this upcoming movie that it's about Beirut and shot in Morocco. It is a common occurrence within the movie industry. Much more common with lower budget films, but can also be present in high budget films.

Filming location - Wikipedia
    http://listverse.com/2017/11/06/10-movies-you-had-no-idea-were-filmed-in-the-wrong-locations/

Btw, Incendies is also a movie about a fictional story that's heavily influenced, if not outright set, in the Lebanese civil war. The movie was filmed in Montreal and Jordan. Beirut is also a fictional story set in Lebanese civil war -- it doesn't attempt to tell the story of what happened during the actual war, as it is not a documentary.
    Incendies is based on a play by a Lebanese artist, and the plot is actually original. This is just another "good Americans vs. bad Arabs" plot in a gazillion.