A rare critical look at Rafiq Hariri that you rarely see in the Western press

Dima2ouna.

vegojimbo, give me proof he stole!
I personally think that this debate is dead, you think hes a thief and greedy man and will never accept anything that says otherwise!
btw, not to defend the LF or anything, but i think the LFers started this opposition long ago before aoun!

vegojimbo

Legendary Member
vegojimbo, give me proof he stole!
I personally think that this debate is dead, you think hes a thief and greedy man and will never accept anything that says otherwise!
btw, not to defend the LF or anything, but i think the LFers started this opposition long ago before aoun!

a 40 billion $ debt with 5 billion $ reform costs. he didn't steal it all, but he sure stole a big shunk of it.
And to add, why in one year his fortune increased 12.7 billion$? this can't happen unless the money was hidden in a secret account (which the secracy is removed once a person dies). so now why this money was hidden in a secret account? i will let u imagine the reason.

Should we talk about Solidere and Ogero too? or no need?

the LF started the opposition before GMA? they had ministers in the gov till 1994 when SG entered jail. it's then when they joined FPm in the syrian opposition.

Absar Min

A rare critical look at Rafiq Hariri...

Excellent article and quote!!! I can testify that my parents had 2 stores in Borg in excellent locations: one in front of Roxy Cinema and the other one in Bechara el Khoury at the same level. The store in Bechara Khoury had a buyer in 1972 for a value worthing at least 500 000 $ in our present money. Guess how much solidere paid for the 2 stores: 30 000$ in shares !!! My brother could not stand it and died from brain hemorrage !!!I know many tragic stories, like the old poor lady having a house at the periphery (near souk najjarine) and expropriated for nothing. What do you think happens if a canadian prime minister or an american head of state still holds companies while in power and gets profit by passing laws in favour of his own interest: they have to resign, face court or go to jail !!! In Canada, ex important members of the still ruling Liberal party accused of money corruption face now criminal charges and jail, and let that party loose a lot of its popularity during the elections. I wonder if such a law of conflict of interest for politicians exists in Lebanon!!!
A lot of people can still repeat: "Hariri kaan mujrim, allah yirhamu" !

Sect Symbols
Annia Ciezadlo

For most Westerners, the words "downtown Beirut" conjure up two distinct images: ...............names, come and go. As we walked past the patch of seafront where the big man was killed, she shook her head. "Hariri kaan mujrim, allah yirhamu," she sighed, with ironic resignation--Hariri was a criminal, may God have mercy on his soul.

source: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070305/ciezadlo

Observer

Excellent article and quote!!! I can testify that my parents had 2 stores in Borg in excellent locations: one in front of Roxy Cinema and the other one in Bechara el Khoury at the same level. The store in Bechara Khoury had a buyer in 1972 for a value worthing at least 500 000 $ in our present money. Guess how much solidere paid for the 2 stores: 30 000$ in shares !!! My brother could not stand it and died from brain hemorrage !!!I know many tragic stories, like the old poor lady having a house at the periphery (near souk najjarine) and expropriated for nothing. What do you think happens if a canadian prime minister or an american head of state still holds companies while in power and gets profit by passing laws in favour of his own interest: they have to resign, face court or go to jail !!! In Canada, ex important members of the still ruling Liberal party accused of money corruption face now criminal charges and jail, and let that party loose a lot of its popularity during the elections. I wonder if such a law of conflict of interest for politicians exists in Lebanon!!!
A lot of people can still repeat: "Hariri kaan mujrim, allah yirhamu" !

I agree with you. Hariri [] confiscated the private properties of beirutis to make a large night club for the rich everywhere in the gulf for his own benefit. A lot of beirutis just follow hariri because of either money and power for individuals or secterianism. They all know he and his clan in politics are bunch of corrupt thieves who have always sucked the blood of people for their own benefit and the benefit of their syrian ex masters.

He was buried in the same area he confiscated never to enjoy his project and money. وفي هذا عبرة لمن اعتبر

Last edited by a moderator:

UN520

Excellent article and quote!!! I can testify that my parents had 2 stores in Borg in excellent locations: one in front of Roxy Cinema and the other one in Bechara el Khoury at the same level. The store in Bechara Khoury had a buyer in 1972 for a value worthing at least 500 000 $ in our present money. Guess how much solidere paid for the 2 stores: 30 000$ in shares !!!!

Just of curiosity: Did your family (and people in general who got kicked out) keep the Solidaire-shares, and do you know about the value of them nowadays compared to then? Not that it would made the crime less even how much the share-price have risen (if any).

zaher_leb

Excellent Article!
A very realistic and close look at Hariri... Although the author is not Lebanese I think he got the escense of our problem!

Author Biography

Annia Ciezadlo has lived in Lebanon for over four years, filing dispatches from Beirut, Baghdad, Damascus, and Iraqi Kurdistan for The New Republic, The Nation, the National Journal, The Christian Science Monitor, and Lebanon’s Daily Star newspaper. Her work has also appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The New York Observer.

Until 2003, she was a senior editor at the award-winning New York City newsmagazine City Limits. Her December 2002 cover story, “Coney Island High,” used the story of a recovered drug dealer to show how urban renewal devastated one of New York’s coolest neighborhoods -- and an entire generation of people who lived there. In 2003, it was a finalist for the Freedom Forum’s Excellence in Urban Journalism Award and the Harry Chapin Media Awards.

In late 2003, Ciezadlo left Brooklyn for Baghdad, where she worked as a stringer for The Christian Science Monitor and other publications. Since then, she has covered uprisings in Lebanon, crackdowns in Syria, and the 2006 summer war between Israel and Hezbollah.

Ciezadlo has broken important political stories, like Iraqi womens’ demand for quotas and the flight of the country’s Christian minority, to name a couple. But she specializes in articles about Arab culture and civil society, stories that explore the intersections between larger political realities and everyday activities like driving, cooking, and going to school. (She speaks a little Arabic, which helps.) Many of them—like her story about Iraq's first reality TV show—have been picked up or copied by major media outlets. This collection includes stories about Hezbollah perfume; Iraqi war poetry; Lebanon’s slow food movement; Baghdad’s political graffiti; and many more.

Ciezadlo is currently writing a memoir, to be published by Free Press, about food and war in the Middle East.
http://www.anniaciezadlo.com/pages.php?content=bio.php&navGallID=Bio