Arabic question : ya'aburnee / ta'aburnee ?

Houny

Houny

I would like to know the difference between these two words. I mean is that a masculine or feminine form ?

Is that the arab form correct ? ya'aburnee : يقبرني / ta'aburnee : تؤبرني

And, is there any form with just not gender specific ?

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I would like to know the difference between these two words. I mean is that a masculine or feminine form ?

Is that the arab form correct ? ya'aburnee : يقبرني / ta'aburnee : تؤبرني

Regards,
    Yo'borneh and To'borneh are both masculine forms and can be used interchangeably.
    Yo'borneh means literally "may he bury me" and is usually followed by another word.
    For example: Yo'borneh tizo (may his butt bury me), Yo'borneh albo (may his heart bury me).

To'borneh is used alone and means "I hope you bury me".

What's the difference between "Yo'borneh" and "To'borneh"?
    Yo'borneh is used when talking to someone in the third person.
    For example, a woman talking about her son:
    "Yo'borneh shu mahdoum" --> "May he bury me, he's so cute"

To'borneh is used when talking to someone in the second person:
    For example: "To'borneh ma ahdamak" --> "May you bury me, you're so cute".

The feminine form is To'breeneh.

While it sounds morbid, it is used as an endearment mostly by parents to their children.
    What they really mean is that they wish their children outlive them.

Last edited:
    AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Regards,
    No, not really. There are no gender-neutral words and verbs in the Lebanese dialect.

Houny

Houny

Interesting, I understand better the meaning of the term. It's something that can to express our love for someone ? Actually, I want to make a tattoo and more precisely a levantine arabic expression in arabic calligraphy and I found this one a bit fascinating but maybe it's ridiculous in the eyes of a native lebanese. Maybe I should go my way and keep looking for. :)

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Interesting, I understand better the meaning of the term. It's something that can to express our love for someone ? Actually, I want to make a tattoo and more precisely a levantine arabic expression in arabic calligraphy and I found this one a bit fascinating but maybe it's ridiculous in the eyes of a native lebanese. Maybe I should go my way and keep looking for. :)
    may i suggest "٣١٣" or "لولا إلهاء"

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    Yo'borneh and To'borneh are both masculine forms and can be used interchangeably.
    Yo'borneh means literally "may he bury me" and is usually followed by another word.
    For example: Yo'borneh tizo (may his butt bury me), Yo'borneh albo (may his heart bury me).

To'borneh is used alone and means "I hope you bury me".

What's the difference between "Yo'borneh" and "To'borneh"?
    Yo'borneh is used when talking to someone in the third person.
    For example, a woman talking about her son:
    "Yo'borneh shu mahdoum" --> "May he bury me, he's so cute"

To'borneh is used when talking to someone in the second person:
    For example: "To'borneh ma ahdamak" --> "May you bury me, you're so cute".

The feminine form is To'breeneh.

While it sounds morbid, it is used as an endearment mostly by parents to their children.
    What they really mean is that they wish their children outlive them.
    Actually if you’re referring to a female in third person it is also to2borne

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    Yes you are right
    It’s used to express love or sympathy

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Lebanon_not_Arabic

Actually, I want to make a tattoo and more precisely a levantine arabic expression in arabic calligraphy ...
    May i suggest:

رضا الله و رضا الوالدين

لا تسرع يا بابا، نحن في انتظارك

راجعة بإذن الله

انتبه السائق على اليمين

عين الحاسد تبلى بالعمى

سيري فعين الله ترعاك​

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    سراع ولا يهمك ابو الزوز بلمك

agnostic

agnostic

Legendary Member
    It is shameful that Arabic is not very friendly with non binary people 👎

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Yes, it's not cool as a tattoo. It's something grannies would say. Millenials don't use the word "yo'borneh."

Come to think of it, there is actually a gender-neutral form of yo'borneh.
    Its "yo'boush". It's usually used as a pick-up line, but it's super vulgar. (Only those who listen to Wadih El Sheikh would say something like that).

agnostic

agnostic

Legendary Member
    Akhad 3a khatera hal tante. Please tell me this is a skit and not a real show?
    1. It is real and "Arrêt sur images" is known to be a serious French TV program
    2. Tante!? Je ne sais pas qu'est ce qui vous fait dire ça

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    1. It is real and "Arrêt sur images" is known to be a serious French TV program
    2. Tante!? Je ne sais pas qu'est ce qui vous fait dire ça
    This whole non-binary movement is stupid.
    I mean enjoy your man-made vagina and all, but if you have a beard and look like a man don't get offended if someone refers to you as one.
    Tu vois ce que je veux dire?

Houny

Houny

may i suggest "٣١٣" or "لولا إلهاء"
    Seems funny according to the reactions... *facepalm*

Actually if you’re referring to a female in third person it is also to2borne
    Not really.

لا اخاف الموت ولكن تقتلني دمعة امي
    Sure... :bookworm:

Yes, it's not cool as a tattoo. It's something grannies would say. Millenials don't use the word "yo'borneh."

Come to think of it, there is actually a gender-neutral form of yo'borneh.
    Its "yo'boush". It's usually used as a pick-up line, but it's super vulgar. (Only those who listen to Wadih El Sheikh would say something like that).
    Well ok, I go my way and I keep looking for... :) I hope I will find something "suitable".

agnostic

agnostic

Legendary Member
    This whole non-binary movement is stupid.
    I mean enjoy your man-made vagina and all, but if you have a beard and look like a man don't get offended if someone refers to you as one.
    Tu vois ce que je veux dire?
    Mon pauvre, tu confonds identité de genre et expression de genre.

Houny

Houny

Not really how ?
    To2borne is female third person..
    No I mean I wasn't referring to a girl, this is why I asked if there was no way to say it without addressing a specific gender.