Are Lebanese people white or nah...

manifesto

Maybe a late reply, but like others have said we are one huge mix, some look like Scandinavians while others look like they arrived straight from Yemen (and most probably did, historically! ). With all the successive invasions, it's only normal for Lebanese not to all have one ethnicity. I often enjoy just going to a mall and looking at people being fascinated by how different we can look.

As for those who say we are racist, you should maybe travel around! Go to Africa for one, you will soon know what racism actually is lol! I have lived in west Africa for the longest so I know what racism is trust me lol.
You are confusing racism with other bad characteristics we actually have. I think its mostly class discrimination. If a Bangladeshi that works in a petrol station asked for your daughter's hand, you might object, but when a rich educated Bangladeshi billionaire does the same you will rush to accept. In the same spirit, certain nationalities that are present in Lebanon mostly are of the lower class like srilanki maids, so people assume that's what they are and treat them as such when they bump into them in public , while they could very well be embassadors. That again is not racism, but class discrimination. Even Lebanese with each other act that way, and we just established they are not all white!

Plus anyway physical beauty, which Lebanese are suckers for, is not limited to one ethnicity. You could have a black goddess on one hand, and a very ugly white blond on the other. Lebanese men will have no problem running after the dark skinned one d not give a second look to the ugly one. If they were racist they wouldn't be hooking up with all those Ethiopians etc..

Anyway with all the civil wars and consecutive crises the people living on this land had to endure, with the constant fear of getting wiped out by foreign powers, or serious demographic fears like with the Syrians, Im always surprised we are not more racist! We suffer a bit from xenophobia, but like I said it's more that expected given the circumstances! The funny thing is those who complain the most come from countries that have suffered from ethnic cleansing wars or have a history filled with intolerance and racism lol. We also need to be a bit more patriotic and nationalistic. Even in rich countries, like switzerland, they are obsessed by being swiss and eating swiss and only consuming swiss products etc ...Trust me we are way more chill then everyone keeps portraying us.

Peace.

The Yemenite and Scandinavian look are oddities. They make up 2-3% of the Lebanese.

Most Lebanese have typical Mediterranean/Levantine features: dark hair, olive skin, brown eyes.

We're very homogeneous as a people, and not as ethnically diverse as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Aoune32!

The Yemenite and Scandinavian look are oddities. They make up 2-3% of the Lebanese.

Most Lebanese have typical Mediterranean/Levantine features: dark hair, olive skin, brown eyes.

We're very homogeneous as a people, and not as ethnically diverse as you think.
    Not true. It depends where you live in Lebanon. I have green eyes and pretty much yellow skin like the Asians.

According to Affirmative Action in Canadian law. They are white unless they are mixed with black or Asian. The law specifies visible minorities as non white from West Asia. If you look Spanish or Sicilian you are still white.
    Oh really do u know this for a fact?? Because someone with black/brown hair black/brown eyes and olive skin would look ingenious to west Asia... It would make more sense to think they mean actually white looking arabs like Gigi Hadid...

Also arabs are only considered white in the US because of Jesus and the fact that 100 years ago the the white people that ran america couldnt accept the fact that Jesus wasn't white and so they deemed middle eastern people white in the court system. They did this because at first they were trying to ban syrians form being citizens and owning land because they were deemed Asian and not white so syrians used Jesus as their defense... Know your history...

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Oh really do u know this for a fact?? Because someone with black/brown hair black/brown eyes and olive skin would look ingenious to west Asia... It would make more sense to think they mean actually white looking arabs like Gigi Hadid...

Also arabs are only considered white in the US because of Jesus and the fact that 100 years ago the the white people that ran america couldnt accept the fact that Jesus wasn't white and so they deemed middle eastern people white in the court system. They did this because at first they were trying to ban syrians form being citizens and owning land because they were deemed Asian and not white so syrians used Jesus as their defense... Know your history...
    I am certain that Affirmative Action in Canada considers people with white skin and brown hair and olive skin with brown hair white. Unless they visibly look like an identified minority. So a Lebanese looking as dark as native may qualify for a visible minority according to the law. This is the law, not the social practices.

I am certain that Affirmative Action in Canada considers people with white skin and brown hair and olive skin with brown hair white. Unless they visibly look like an identified minority. So a Lebanese looking as dark as native may qualify for a visible minority according to the law. This is the law, not the social practices.
    Ok I'm talking about social practice... I already explained why the law made us white... If we were white we wouldnt have had to go to court and for it and use religion... They wouldnt have tried to ban us... Also indians... Are they white? They used to be in the US but they lobbied to be legally classified differently and arabs are now in the process of doing the same thing...

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Ok I'm talking about social practice... I already explained why the law made us white... If we were white we wouldnt have had to go to court and for it and use religion... They wouldnt have tried to ban us... Also indians... Are they white? They used to be in the US but they lobbied to be legally classified differently and arabs are now in the process of doing the same thing...
    Indians are not white in Canada. There is no category called Arab. There is white, visible minority, and indigenous.

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Visible minorities feel less safe: Statistics Canada

Guess we are a visible minority in Canada... Do you have some kind of agenda mighty goat ?
    You have an agenda, because as a Canadian of Lebanese origin when I apply for government positions I do not qualify for visible minority. Visible minority should be racially visible as non white. So, when I apply the application clearly states non-whites from West Asia and North Africa only qualify. This means they should be dark. If one looks like Italian, spanish or French and this is a Lebanese. This one is white. This is the majority of how Lebanese look like. Then they are white and they are not a visible minority.

There are black Lebanese and there are half filipino Lebanese. These are categorized as a visible minority,

Now if a white Lebanese woman wears the Hijab, she may argue she is a visible minority but the law speaks of color and not costume.

I believe all South Lebanese with blue eyes and blond hair do not qualify for visible minority even with their women wearing the Hijab.

Only these Lebanese Islamist racists that have an agenda wish to categorize Muslims as a minority like Jews to be at par with ignorance and religious racism.

Finally, there is no "we" when the issue is color, if your father was black. You may be a visible minority and I will not be and we are both Lebanese.

Color has no relation to your perception of your identity in relation to other members of the community and moreover make a racial claim based on your identity.

If you feel discriminated against because you are Arab, remember before September 11th, no one saw that.

Now if you live in the West Coast. Then racism has a micro flavour that is full of prejudice against anything that is not European. This is not white. This is discrimination based on origin.

manifesto

I think the Lesbianese are insecure people who are obsessed with looking and acting "white".

Notice, whenever a Lebanese gets mistaken for a Spaniard or an Italian, he or she takes it as a compliment.

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think the Lesbianese are insecure people who are obsessed with looking and acting "white".

Notice, whenever a Lebanese gets mistaken for a Spaniard or an Italian, he or she takes it as a compliment.
    Whiteness is not a privilege given to Lebanese from Europeans. White people originate from the Galilee and Iran. This is where they migrated to Europe from whose people were dark. Just think about South Europe as facing Africa from the Mediterranean and imagine the color of the people that came from South Europe during the Roman Empire.

You may identify with slavery and blackness politically. This does not make you black. We invented racism inside Lebanon and Iran and exported it to Europe.

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Moreover,
    Just think about Zeus kidnapping Europa the daughter of the King of Tyre. She must have had blond hair and blue eyes for this Roman god to make Europe after her name this Tyran Europa.

Really dark people must be mixed with Africans and Africa is not on the borders of West Asia, except Egypt which is still dark. So this is indicative that dark people came from South Europe to West Asia and white people came from West Asia to Europe. This is evident in the white skin we see in Syria and Lebanon which is dominant and not just a few. This is also existing in Iran and Iraq, where the Crusades did not set a foot.

Caucasian people come from the Caucasus which is between Europe and Asia. This is neither West Europe nor South Europe.

Moreover,
    Just think about Zeus kidnapping Europa the daughter of the King of Tyre. She must have had blond hair and blue eyes for this Roman god to make Europe after her name this Tyran Europa.

Really dark people must be mixed with Africans and Africa is not on the borders of West Asia, except Egypt which is still dark. So this is indicative that dark people came from South Europe to West Asia and white people came from West Asia to Europe. This is evident in the white skin we see in Syria and Lebanon which is dominant and not just a few. This is also existing in Iran and Iraq, where the Crusades did not set a foot.

Caucasian people come from the Caucasus which is between Europe and Asia. This is neither West Europe nor South Europe.
    Ok so you have lost all credibility with me talking nonsense about migration from thousands of years ago and Greek mythology..... Black and Filipinos are not west asians... The article says arabs and west Asians not black people and Filipinos that happen to have lived in west Asia at some point and moved to Canada....you are one of those lebanese that want to be white so bad.. What do you look like anyway? Are you one of the blue eyed light haired ones? Because then I can see where YOUR point of view comes from if that is the case but then you should know better than to try to speak for every other lebanese in the world that dont look like that...

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Ok so you have lost all credibility with me talking nonsense about migration from thousands of years ago and Greek mythology..... Black and Filipinos are not west asians... The article says arabs and west Asians not black people and Filipinos that happen to have lived in west Asia at some point and moved to Canada....you are one of those lebanese that want to be white so bad.. What do you look like anyway? Are you one of the blue eyed light haired ones? Because then I can see where YOUR point of view comes from if that is the case but then you should know better than to try to speak for every other lebanese in the world that dont look like that...
    I think this is so confused.

I'm not asking this question to Lebanese people who have never stepped foot outside of Lebanon. Those types of people believe that anyone who doesn't have black skin is white and I'm not interested in your opinion....

I'm interested in educated and well traveled Lebanese or Lebanese people that are part of the diaspora and have lived in europe, Canada, America, Australia, etc...

Are we white? Are Lebanese that are mixed with European considered mixed race? As a collective people how do we view ourselves?

I understand there are white Lebanese who look no different then a German or Scandinavian but those types are not the majority... Just like white Latinos... They are not the majority....

I personally view us as non European and therefore non white... We look different enough as a whole and the culture is very different...

What are your thoughts??
    I have been viewed as a white dude here in the US with all the positives and the negatives that come with it, including white privilege accusations!

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    But to make it easier for you. Check the color of this Roman Emperor Septimius Severus. He is dark. You know that the idea that dark is evil and white is good comes precisely from the rebellion of the people of the land in Syria and Phoenicia against the dark evil Roman emperors. They enslaved their masters. Only when whites these are the good revolted against the evil Romans who were dark that white became supreme to black.

Now you may want to check this painting from the 17th century about at the sacrifice of Iphigeneia. Pay attention that these Greek strong royalty is dark and she is white

But to make it easier for you. Check the color of this Roman Emperor Septimius Severus. He is dark. You know that the idea that dark is evil and white is good comes precisely from the rebellion of the people of the land in Syria and Phoenicia against the dark evil Roman emperors. They enslaved their masters. Only when whites these are the good revolted against the evil Romans who were dark that white became supreme to black.

View attachment 9051

Now you may want to check this painting from the 17th century about at the sacrifice of Iphigeneia. Pay attention that these Greek strong royalty is dark and she is white

View attachment 9052
    I don't mean to be so blatantly disrespectful but you seriously live in a skewed world if you think the average Italian or greek person is darker then a typical lebanese or syrian guy... if I wanted to play your game I'd bring up zenobia or Hannibal who were both described as dark.... but I'm done playing this game... people like you are a problem for the lebanese identity...

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't mean to be so blatantly disrespectful but you seriously live in a skewed world if you think the average Italian or greek person is darker then a typical lebanese or syrian guy... if I wanted to play your game I'd bring up zenobia or Hannibal who were both described as dark.... but I'm done playing this game... people like you are a problem for the lebanese identity...
    :lol: