Are You a Law Abiding Citizen?

Are You a Law Abiding Citizen?

• Total voters
Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
This topic is addressed to those living in Lebanon but also to those visiting Lebanon and their behavior during such visits.

Are you a Law Abiding Citizen?

Let's have some examples:

1. You stop at the red light

2. You don't litter

3. You stand in line (not sure if that is against the law, but it is certainly against moral values)

4. You drive within speed limits (cough cough.. 80 km/h)

5. You signal when changing lanes

6. You don't speak on the phone while driving

7. You don't drink and drive

8. You put on the seat belt

9. You don't park illegally

10. You don't pull strings (wasta)

11. Other (suggest any lawful or unlawful activities that you abide with or not)

Okay... many of us have at least broken any of those rules a few times.. the question is about your behavior MOST of the time.

So... MOST of the time, how do you compare with the above?

Cheers

(mods, appreciate a poll with above options)

• Advertisement
  • X

X

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    1. You stop at the red light - 95% of the times i do, i cheat at 3:00 AM when the red light is on for 2 minutes and i am the only car on the intersection (they should replace the red light with yellow during the early hours)

2. You don't litter - I don't

3. You stand in line (not sure if that is against the law, but it is certainly against moral values) - I stand in line

4. You drive within speed limits (cough cough.. 80 km/h) - No, driving 80KM/H is dangerous, speeding cars will hit you from behind, i don't go above 100KM/H but 80 is too **** slow

5. You signal when changing lanes - Ba3te Ishara? Yeah i do

6. You don't speak on the phone while driving Speaker phone or earphone

7. You don't drink and drive I do drink and drive, but even if i am not driving, i don't drink more than 2 glasses

8. You put on the seat belt 95%, sometimes i forget

9. You don't park illegally - I don't park in the "mamnou3 el wou2ouf" places, not because i am a good citizen, but i don't want to get a fine because of a parking

10. You don't pull strings (wasta) - Like for example if i don't pull the string, the Moudir el 3am will sign the paper in 2 months time, well i do pull the string so the damned Moudir does his job and sign the paper in time

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    i try to be

but lebanon forces you not to be a lot of times, so yes i try to be when is possible :)

like lately i had to cheat when making some extension to my house..........because municipality wont give you without wassta wa $$$$$..whether you are entitled or not and i was entitled to start with.

Joe tayyar

Joe tayyar

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    In Lebanon we really need a clear LAW to a abide by it!!

However, In general ( with the clear available laws) I am a Law Abiding Citizen.

Hameed

Hameed

never saw a line in Lebanon before but I stood in line when I was working abroad

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You stop at the red light: Always, even at 3:00 am when nobody is in sight. To me, a Red light is the ultimate red line in traffic.

You don't litter: Never.

You stand in line: No problem, except in one situation: I refuse to stand in line to get into a bar, restaurant or a disco, I'd rather move on instead.

You drive within speed limits: Unless over-speed is needed to save life, I do, because I follow two mottoes "you didn't die, you didn't see someone else die in a speedy car accident?" and " I'd rather remain a chicken than a roasted chicken".

You signal when changing lanes: and notoriously so in the hope my behavior contaminates the driver behind me

You don't speak on the phone while driving: No, after 20 years I still feel too paranoid in Lebanese traffic. I need all my senses to control, not my car, but the other idiots around.

You don't drink and drive: No, I drink only before and after I drive.

You put on the seat belt: Oh yes, but only when I drive. As a passenger I rarely do however unless I am ordered to. I admit, a bit odd..

You don't park illegally: No, mainly because I fear I might upset someone with a loose $crew and who could go crazy and damage my car.

You don't pull strings (wasta): My general rule of thumb is to refuse, even though and like most Lebanese, I have the means, skills and needed tools if I decide to. To be honest, it happens sometimes that some of those "strings" volunteer their services, and shy as I am to turn people down, I then make exceptions.

Other (suggest any lawful or unlawful activities that you abide with or not):
    I don't know if this counts as legal or illegal activity, but once in a while I do support one special and tasty Lebanese Fair Trade product from Bekaa by buying and smoking it.

Lallous

Lallous

You stop at the red light: Always. I have no problem with that. However, don't get me started on STOP signs...I slow down significantly, but very rarely do a full stop. It drives me nuts, especially when sometimes you have like 1 each 100 meters.

You don't litter: Yes I never litter.Common sense.

You stand in line: I love standing in a line and I am always pissed about trespassers. One of the things that drives me crazy in Lebanon because it is never respected. No wonder it's called Mazra3a with all the ghanam.

You drive within speed limits: In 50 km/h zone, I often go around 65. It's psychological as they often fine you above 70 only lol. However on highways, rarely go more than 115 km/, the limit is 100 km/h. It's because my car has 1.8 L engine and you feel the resistance when you press on the mushroom too hard. When I'm driving a V6 or V8, I am tempted to go as fast 120-130. Going above that is simply ridiculous and you are a threat to yourself and others, plus the moving violation fine you would get.

You signal when changing lanes: Yes and more importantly, is the dead angle check-up you do when you change lanes. Nobody does it in Lebanon and it is of utmost importance.

You don't speak on the phone while driving: Speakerphone or very briefly. Never on highways.

You don't drink and drive: I drink and drive but very lightly, try to be around the legal limit (0,08). I would say common sense, plus this is something you can't really do as your license is revoked and you face criminal charges if you are caught. When I'm bringing someone back, I'm even more cautious and drink less.

You put on the seat belt: Yes always on the front seats. I'm not naturally prone to do it on the back seat, but usually do it with non-Lebanese without asking me.

You don't park illegally: Yes. Where I live, you can't get away with it and most probably within 10 minutes, you'd be fined.

You don't pull strings (wasta): In Lebanon, I am very tempted to do it, even though I don't like it. Since I live abroad, any paperwork could be done easily online without having to rely an ignorant mokhtar or ra2iss dayra or 3askar bou djej. A simple formality you have to kiss a$$es to get it done in Lebanon.

Other (suggest any lawful or unlawful activities that you abide with or not):
    I report everything when I fill my income taxes. Tax evasion is a cancer in the Lebanese society. Ask the Greeks where it brought them. Experience has told me that sooner or later, you'll pay your dues in a way or another, so bet on the peace of mind instead.

sarhay

sarhay

If this poll is representative then layish al 3alam keep complaining about the welfare of the country????

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    If this poll is representative then layish al 3alam keep complaining about the welfare of the country????
    Most voters in this thread aren't necessarily representative of the overall Lebanese society.

baloo

baloo

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    You don't pull strings (wasta): Well I had to do it once, 2 Months ago to get DSL when nobody could get get one at Ogero :tongue:

Lebanesegirl

Lebanesegirl

Before answering the questions let me say I don't live in Lebanon and abiding the law is in my blood not because I'm an angel, but because you just get used to it and it comes a part of your life where if you don't do it u feel there is something wrong with your day.
    Haven't visited Lebanon for a long time now but I for sure know if I will abide the law or not when I go.

Now if I was in Lebanon will I

1. You stop at the red light
    Yes Always

2. You don't litter
    No

3. You stand in line (not sure if that is against the law, but it is certainly against moral values)

Of course

4. You drive within speed limits (cough cough.. 80 km/h)

Yes but sometimes I go a little faster

5. You signal when changing lanes

Yes

6. You don't speak on the phone while driving

I do talk on the phone while driving

7. You don't drink and drive

Driving or not I don't drink anyway

8. You put on the seat belt

Yes always

9. You don't park illegally

Yes I don't

10. You don't pull strings (wasta)

If I needed it while in Lebanon yes I would

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I am Law Abiding Citizen and this is one of the reasons I left Lebanon.
    I want to live in a country in which I respect and be respected. It is clear that there is no ideal place, but Lebanon it too corrupt for me to handle

shadow1

shadow1

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I am a firm believer in the old adage: when in Rome do as the Romans do. It's not my job to criticise how people behave in any society. You just do whatever you cna get away with.

Dry Ice

Dry Ice

Legendary Member
    interesting results for 21 votes...

100% stop @ the red light
    95% stand in line
    85% put the seat belt
    85% park legally
    80% signal when changing lanes

we've got some model citizens on this forum :wink:

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Most voters in this thread aren't necessarily representative of the overall Lebanese society.
    Yes they are all a bunch of sellout conformists :)I don't want to abide, I refuse to vote in this thread lol

I heard a Lebanese guy say once that if anarchy and chaos were to disappear from Lebanon it won't be Lebanon anymore and he wouldn't feel longing for returning. Now that has got to get you thinking!