• against

Votes: 78 32.1%
  • to some extent

Votes: 69 28.4%
  • not sure

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

lebgirl

Abortion has been a big issue especially concerning women and women's rights and people's beliefs. I would like to see what everyone believes.. so...
are you with or against abortion?? and why

Sayyan Benghazi

Re: Abortion

I voted to some extend since I believe that it is a crime but crimes do happen all the time, I do not believe that morally or spiritually it is acceptable but sometimes it is for the best of all parties. I hope that no one of us is ever put in such a situation because when I think of it I cant find a choice that can make me feel better about myself. I mean take a deep breath and think about it, if you are at a situation that abortion is the best choice for you then what ever you choose will change your life forever and things can never be the same again mentally I mean.

LebanesePride

Im only with abortion if the birth process threatens the mother's life.
Even though im not religious, i believe in all other cases, when no life is threatened, abortion should be illegal.
The arguments and cases that are sometimes presented do not convince me at all:

1- Some say if a fetus is proven to have an anomaly, and that it will be born incurably handicapped, that it is right to end its life, for it not to suffer.

But if dying was better than the life it was going to lead, then lets kill all handicapped people already alive!!! or why are they not killing themselves.

2- Some say its not developped, and that at early times it doesnt have full capacities therefore it is not human.

WHEN ARE WE EXACTLY FULLY DEVELOPPED?
A BORN baby is hardly a fraction of what we now are, with hardly a fraction of our now present abilities, just as an UNBORN baby is to the born baby.
Therefore i believe killing it, unless it is to save the mother's life, is MURDER.

3- Now why would i accept killing it if the mother was in danger?
Simply because nature and life are not always black or white, there are cases sometimes that present a dilemna.
We cannot ask or expect or force someone, nor do i want to, to give up their life for another. She has the right to defend and preserve her life.

Comrade Bassam

Legendary Member

It's a hard issue to generalise.

First it depends on the way the woman became pregnant and what was her status with the person with who she went into sexual relation and what were the circumstances of that relation.

Second, it depends on the socio-economical status of the woman.

Third, it depends on the religious background and environment of the woman and how the abortion will affect her life.

Fourth, it depends on the availability of alternatives.

Fifth, it depends on the status of her partner, whether he accepts, refuses, whether he's there or away, whether he's known...etc

All those are criterions to be taken into considration in order to make a correct (relatively speaking) decision about whether to abort or not.

My only opinion is that:
(1) People have to carry their responsibilities in life.
(2) All world societies need permanent serious sexual education away from all taboos to awaken the society about all those issues especially about protection and about laws related to the issue and about the religious dimension in it.
(3) The baby is born by a partnership of a man and a woman so the woman is not the only responsible about the destiny of the result of that partnership.

Therefore, my opinion about whether I am or against is vague since I am with it for the case where it is needed and against it while it is not.
So my position is: relatively against.

LONG LIVE FREE LEBANON
COMRADE BASSAM

brave_leb_heart

i am against abortion except in one case as LebanesePride said if there is a threat on the mom life so ill be with it , cose we as human we don t have any right to end a life ....
but i am with more freedom to woman wich if that happen it wont lead to abortion

freelebanonn

Legendary Member

if the child will live without his father i am with abortion because the family is the most important thing for a child it could destroy him when he grow up but its a delicant thing that we can not always play with like i can't accept abortion for 2 married people!!!!!

Comrade Bassam

Legendary Member

Why don't we open a topic about women's rights and about the legal status of women in the Lebanese system.
Anybody has any feedback or interesting background about the issue ?

LONG LIVE FREE LEBANON
COMRADE BASSAM

Lebanon

I am with abortion to some extent, since I feel there are some cases were it should be allowed. Although all religions condemn it since it is simply a crime, I see that in some cases abortion(during the first 2 months of pregnancy only) might be a solution to some problems. In general, I'm with it only in the case when delivering the child might impose a threat to the mother. But in our society, since sexual relationships before marriage are not supported, and we know that they happen, I think that abortion in the first stge of pregnancy is ok since it spares the mother and the son a life of hardship in a very criticizing society.

I don't have much information about the child developement during the 9 months, but if in the first 2 months, it can be known if the child is handicapped, I am with abortion although I know it's not moral.

Chrysostomos

I am against Abortions whatever is the reason behing taking such a decision because i believe that abortion = killing a child....

ZRSGMS

Against abortion. You brought the child into the earth and now you want to take it away?

Abortion has become the cool thing to do now. More and more people are having premartial sex, and as a result they have no committment to keep whatever they made. Unfortunately, it's become a small hole in people's lives and not many people are thinking about it before or after they do it.

lebgirl

"Why don't we open a topic about women's rights and about the legal status of women in the Lebanese system.
Anybody has any feedback or interesting background about the issue ?

LONG LIVE FREE LEBANON
COMRADE BASSAM""

good idea Comrade:)

lebgirl

wow a lot of view...
well ok in my case, i have voted that I am for abortion to some extent..
A lot of you guys have said you are against, because as ZRSGMS12344 and General Dave said you consider it killing a child which in some cases can be true and most of you guys have replied (the ones against) that you are ismply against it if ti does not cause a threat to the woman's life.
well I would like to say something that no one took into consideration. What about if the woman was raped? and she fell pregnant?? now do you think she should keep the child she did not in any case intend to have? In this case, whatever the choises are i am very much for abortion, the woman should not have the responsibility of carrying a child by a someone who raped her and made her life miserable without taking into account that she ma not have the necessary means tot ake care of the kid(she might still be a student) etc... ok this is my first thought and where abortion is ok.
Next, well people do mistakes, and it is true that it should not happen but it does! If a woman fell pregnant without wanting it although protection was used, she should be able to decide whatever she wants if and only if she decides as Lebanon said the first 2 month when the foetus is not developed it and is not yet. After this it is too late and i am against it but before in my opinion it is okay. Women should have the right to choose and make decisions over their life, because it could affect their whole life. You can be young and make mistakes but you learn from them. Why keep the baby if you have no mean, no money, and cant give him/her a decent life??? he will suffer and the woman will. You could have been young and foolish and done a mistake, keeping the baby if u have no means could spoil your whooole life, but as i said he thing is you learn from mistakes and you should be able to choose what's best for you (whether to keep the baby or not).
One last point that Comrade Bassam made. Well you said the baby is born by a partnership, of course. But did you know that a lot of men after finiding this out do not take responsibility for the child they leave it for the woman.
Anyways i hope i was clear in my answer.

LebanesePride

lebgirl said:
wow a lot of view...
well ok in my case, i have voted that I am for abortion to some extent..
A lot of you guys have said you are against, because as ZRSGMS12344 and General Dave said you consider it killing a child which in some cases can be true and most of you guys have replied (the ones against) that you are ismply against it if ti does not cause a threat to the woman's life.
well I would like to say something that no one took into consideration. What about if the woman was raped? and she fell pregnant?? now do you think she should keep the child she did not in any case intend to have? In this case, whatever the choises are i am very much for abortion, the woman should not have the responsibility of carrying a child by a someone who raped her and made her life miserable without taking into account that she ma not have the necessary means tot ake care of the kid(she might still be a student) etc... ok this is my first thought and where abortion is ok.

There are a lot of organisations that take care of children. Her financial status is no excuse.
As for rape, well its yet another one of those awful cases and dilemnas that present themselves, i think there should be legal and official care to encourage women throught the period of pregnancy to keep the child, it can always give it away after birth.

Next, well people do mistakes, and it is true that it should not happen but it does! If a woman fell pregnant without wanting it although protection was used, she should be able to decide whatever she wants if and only if she decides as Lebanon said the first 2 month when the foetus is not developed it and is not yet. After this it is too late and i am against it but before in my opinion it is okay. Women should have the right to choose and make decisions over their life, because it could affect their whole life. You can be young and make mistakes but you learn from them. Why keep the baby if you have no mean, no money, and cant give him/her a decent life??? he will suffer and the woman will. You could have been young and foolish and done a mistake, keeping the baby if u have no means could spoil your whooole life, but as i said he thing is you learn from mistakes and you should be able to choose what's best for you (whether to keep the baby or not).

You could have a born baby and then realise it was a mistake, or that you cant take care of it, or that you dont want to.
The mistake of birth is nothing compared to the mistake of murder.

I think the whole issue comes down to ONE point:
Do you consider an unborn baby as human and alive? do you think he/she has rights?
Only if you do not can you be "for" permitting abortion.
Otherwise its plain murder.

lebgirl

Lebanese Pride,
As i said in my post i believe that abortion is ok as long as the woman takes action right away (the 2 first month) when it is still a foetus and not developped. After this i am against..

lebgirl

Comrade Bassam said:
What's the difference ?

what is the difference??? the difference is that the first 2 month its still a foetus, an undeveloped baby so it is not a baby yet, in other words not a being yet..after this it becomes a baby and it will be a being so than it would be killing it, but before the 2 month it is not yet seen as killing a baby... thats the difference Comrade.

Omega80

I believe abortion is wrong unless it is a specific situation, like rape or if the female and male are too young to take care of a baby...But if a husband and wife get pregnant then decide they dont want it anymore, I believe that that is 100% wrong...
Either way however, in order for us to have a normal country, I think that it should be legal in Lebanon...
A better question would be,

Do you think it is a woman's right to have an abortion is she wanted to? See because you maybe feel its wrong, but that a woman should still have a right to do it if she wants to, which is something that I believe...

Comrade Bassam

Legendary Member

All I think is that every case you be dealt with independantly taking all the parameters into consideration.

bassam