Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I hate work, I barely work 4 hours per day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It is 2:30 am in Paris, I am still working.
Luckily there is this forum for small distraction from time to time.
Are there lots of dudes out there who enjoy work the way I do ???

The only problem, is that the French government is robbing me (literally).

• Advertisement
  • Aoune32!

Aoune32!

I work from 9am to 5pm. I refuse to do any more hours. No saturday no sunday. Only if some emergency or something. Work is not everything and neither is money. I rather enjoy it with my fam.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member

Depends, are you working for your employer or are you spending ur time on a personnal project?

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Depends, are you working for your employer or are you spending ur time on a personnal project?
    Currently I do both, but when I was younger, I worked very hard on multiple occasions even during my vacations, one because I thought I have a great ideas that I want to implement without wasting time for my employer, second in order to progress (that was naive)
    It turned out that at moments the employer did like what I did, in other times he did not give a shit...but in all times there were little to zero recognition, and no evolution... Then I started to see other people get promoted because they suck ****s and I don't.

so after years of stupid illusions that working overtime will open opportunities for me, I diverted my efforts to something that brings money directly.
    It took long time to convince businesses to give me projects to work at night...but it worked at the end...
    I have a handsome sum of cashflows, but the problem now is the government who is literally robbing my efforts and my sweat by taking (overall) 50% of my income. so for a short period of time I see my bank account swelling then at the end of the month it drops sharply, and this is bad feeling.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Currently I do both, but when I was younger, I worked very hard on multiple occasions even during my vacations, one because I thought I have a great ideas that I want to implement without wasting time for my employer, second in order to progress (that was naive)
    It turned out that at moments the employer did like what I did, in other times he did not give a shit...but in all times there were little to zero recognition, and no evolution... Then I started to see other people get promoted because they suck ****s and I don't.
    At my last employer i used to do 10am till 11pm workshifts, as we had an enormous amount of problems and my cto sometimes used to pull allnighters in order to keep eveyrhing working. But he was a wimp who only caree abt his post. 16 months into the job i get my review, appraisail, pat on the back, The whole spiele, and a 2% increase of my salary.
    Told them to go screw somebody else. Changed jobs and brought more than half of my team with me in the following months.
    Now i do 9:30-7pm shifts max, learned my lesson, value quality of life beyond everything.

so after years of stupid illusions that working overtime will open opportunities for me, I diverted my efforts to something that brings money directly.
    It took long time to convince businesses to give me projects to work at night...but it worked at the end...
    I have a handsome sum of cashflows, but the problem now is the government who is literally robbing my efforts and my sweat by taking (overall) 50% of my income. so for a short period of time I see my bank account swelling then at the end of the month it drops sharply, and this is bad feeling.
    Yea the french system rapes you whenever you show any personnal initiative.
    My personnal advice, if u have a good client base, go full freelance. Working two sides is not rewarding at all, or at least get paid au noir.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I work from 9am to 5pm. I refuse to do any more hours. No saturday no sunday. Only if some emergency or something. Work is not everything and neither is money. I rather enjoy it with my fam.
    of course this is a choice.
    It is specially convenient if you don't have financial pressure

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

For me for example i earn between 70-80K a year. 25% is taxed. Dont even see this money. Having a mortgage, young family with my wife not working but at home and taking care of 2 young kids its hard not easy. Australia is very expensive. Sydney is in the top 3 cities in the world. Very high expenses. So far all is ok for a family of 4. I plan to have another 2 children then i know definetely on my wage by itself wont be enough. Life is tough not easy BUT you dont take anything with u so enjoy it kameina.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I work for myself. I am a bourgeoisie. I do not have to work for people to make money. I am a researcher and I enjoy the books in a holic way. But I do not work so work is not part of the holic. Probably I am a researchholic.

I nevertheless keep my saturdays free from polution including, people, computers, and phones, so I clear my mind once a week.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    When I work on things I'm passionate about, I don't count the hours because it doesn't feel like work. There comes a point when you feel your mind has overworked, though, and it's better to take a break because you will not produce much of quality in that state.

If I'm doing work I dislike, just for a salary, then I will work the hours I am paid for.

Overall, though, I believe that some level of balance is required, no matter your work situation. Neglecting your family or your health is not a good long-term life strategy.

mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Spent my fair share of 18hour workdays! as i worked in a company where if you left at 9pm some funny fella will ask if you are taking the afternoon off. I did what i had to do as i had debts and needed to go further and never knew how to say no. Even if i was working 14 or 18 hours a day i was not a workaholic because i prefered to be not working.
    All that said i spent 3 weeks chomage technique i was bored to hell.

Nonan

Nonan

Yea the french system rapes you whenever you show any personnal initiative.
    Stop complaining about the French taxes. Once you factor in federal, state and local, I pay close to 45% marginal tax so not that different from you. The difference is that I get close to nothing for it, no retirement, no healthcare, no free education...

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Stop complaining about the French taxes. Once you factor in federal, state and local, I pay close to 45% marginal tax so not that different from you. The difference is that I get close to nothing for it, no retirement, no healthcare, no free education...
    Where do you live Canada?

walidos

walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I do what Is needed, regardless of how much time i spend... it is becoming increasingly difficult though, as now o have to go home to see my kids before they sleep, and help (my wife) with their study, bath and sleep... I often end up working from home after they sleep

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

That is the problem with western countries aslan. Alot of opportunities, more money akide than Leb but you do the time. You place alot more time into your work because you need to or that is what is needed to get the job done. You miss out on all the enjoyable things you have wife and kids. You end up coming home tired and you do it all over again.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I have never been to USA, I don't know about it...

Nonan

Nonan

I have never been to USA, I don't know about it...
    That’s my point. People in France complain about taxes but taxes on high income in some states in the US are comparable, once you state and local.
    Issue inFrance (in my opinion) is complacency and a general defiance against success and people who succeed. Success s celebrated in the US, it is frowned upon in France.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Spent my fair share of 18hour workdays! as i worked in a company where if you left at 9pm some funny fella will ask if you are taking the afternoon off. I did what i had to do as i had debts and needed to go further and never knew how to say no. Even if i was working 14 or 18 hours a day i was not a workaholic because i prefered to be not working.
    All that said i spent 3 weeks chomage technique i was bored to hell.
    I bet this is Murex :D :D

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Overall, though, I believe that some level of balance is required, no matter your work situation. Neglecting your family or your health is not a good long-term life strategy.
    When you have kids things become different, you feel you need to give them the max so they don't have to struggle in life.
    Anyway I find time for my family too, next week we will go vacation to london for christmas.
    it is not my preferred destinations but the kids want to go