• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Are you workaholic ?

Are You Workaholic

• Very much, I work 18+ hours per day

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Yes, I work 12+ hours per day

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Just what is required, 8 hours per day

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I hate work, I barely work 4 hours per day

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
Stop complaining about the French taxes. Once you factor in federal, state and local, I pay close to 45% marginal tax so not that different from you. The difference is that I get close to nothing for it, no retirement, no healthcare, no free education...
My good man, any system that penalizes you for showing any initiative and productivity is حلال to be critisized in my book. When u tax people 50%+ for working hard is bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    My good man, any system that penalizes you for showing any initiative and productivity is حلال to be critisized in my book. When u tax people 50%+ for working hard is bullshit.
    ba3d fi anyak, recently I fought with the Fisc because of 1000euros penalty they charged me with for being late to declare my TVA while there rusty online system was down...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    When you have kids things become different, you feel you need to give them the max so they don't have to struggle in life.
    Anyway I find time for my family too, next week we will go vacation to london for christmas.
    it is not my preferred destinations but the kids want to go
    The kids need healthy and happy parents who are emotionally present, more than anything else.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

When you have kids things become different, you feel you need to give them the max so they don't have to struggle in life.
    Anyway I find time for my family too, next week we will go vacation to london for christmas.
    it is not my preferred destinations but the kids want to go
    Put a roof over their head, feed them, clothes them and give them a good education. Other than that it is not mandatory. :) most of th things that we buy our children are things that they dont need. We just try to make them happy.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Put a roof over their head, feed them, clothes them and give them a good education. Other than that it is not mandatory. :) most of th things that we buy our children are things that they dont need. We just try to make them happy.
    yes basically this is right, but life has more complicated things than this.
    I am not a big believer of the equality of the current systems, meaning I can't rely on the state to give equal opportunities to everyone including my children.
    So this feeling is a big driver for me to try to give them as much as possible, and I don't mean by that the latest IPhone or every spoil they have.
    Actually we are quite strict in these issues.
    On the other hand, I prefer that my kids when they are ready to go out in life, face less barriers in their way so they don't have to struggle from zero.
    You might argue that they become tougher when they face real life. Yes they might well succeed as many people out there but also they might not, for this reason if I can give them all the chances of success, I will do it.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

yes basically this is right, but life has more complicated things than this.
    I am not a big believer of the equality of the current systems, meaning I can't rely on the state to give equal opportunities to everyone including my children.
    So this feeling is a big driver for me to try to give them as much as possible, and I don't mean by that the latest IPhone or every spoil they have.
    Actually we are quite strict in these issues.
    On the other hand, I prefer that my kids when they are ready to go out in life, face less barriers in their way so they don't have to struggle from zero.
    You might argue that they become tougher when they face real life. Yes they might well succeed as many people out there but also they might not, for this reason if I can give them all the chances of success, I will do it.
    I am opposite. I will help my children as much as I can but I will not spoil them. I want them to be tough not weak when they go out there. Life for me is easy you just need a brain to know how to live.

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    People work pretty hard in my field and they should never ever complain, because that's never ever "ethical" but in my subgroup we have it much easier than others. In fact, really lucky to have a well paid and stable job that can run from 9-5. having said that, I still chose to engage myself on 15k different things because of some other interests and this is taking a physical and emotional toll
    Will have to reconsider in my time off.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    My day usually starts at 6:00 AM and I start work at around 8:00 AM. Depending on the season, I usually leave the office between 19:00 and 02:00.

Christmas/Before Ramadan is the busiest time for me.

theMightyRedV

theMightyRedV

It is 2:30 am in Paris, I am still working.
    Luckily there is this forum for small distraction from time to time.
    Are there lots of dudes out there who enjoy work the way I do ???

The only problem, is that the French government is robbing me (literally).
    I think the key is having a good work life balance. You can stay till 2am and enjoy it, or you could stay till 2 because you have to. My line of work is pretty intense and demanding. Although it is financially rewarding, i definitely struggle to find the right balance in and out of work. Start at 7am, finish anywhere between 6 and 9pm, and most nights need to have the laptop open sending many more emails. Work ethic plays a large part in it too. Theres people that are there for the pay cheque and those that genuinely care about the work they do.

baleha

baleha

yes i am ... and at a certain point, it becomes not worth it:
    - health wise
    - mentally
    - career path wise

delegation, building teams, empowering others to take over, is a better path for oneself, the business itself and all others around you.

@JustLeb: you will only be promoted if you increase the size of the business and revenue / margins (developing new products, building teams, improving the operating model and underlying processes, and the like are the key to promotion .... working hard alone is not a criterion for promotion, you need to run things like a business.

Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    That the tricky question. How much is enough to set them up but not too much to make them complacent? The way I see it, it isn’t not only a financial question. Money is important of course but I would argue healthy habits, love and self assurance, education (academic, sports), exploration / discovery, assurance (have I said that one before :), self esteem, etc. Are also critical and for that you also need to spend time with them. So it’s a bit of a tricky balance to find... the one thing I’m happy about is passports :)... I started with one (not so great), they’ll start with 3, of which two give them access to the two biggest economies in the world...

Le منشار

Le منشار

I think the key is having a good work life balance. You can stay till 2am and enjoy it, or you could stay till 2 because you have to. My line of work is pretty intense and demanding. Although it is financially rewarding, i definitely struggle to find the right balance in and out of work. Start at 7am, finish anywhere between 6 and 9pm, and most nights need to have the laptop open sending many more emails. Work ethic plays a large part in it too. Theres people that are there for the pay cheque and those that genuinely care about the work they do.
    ya3neh inta 3am t7awel tjamel el este7mar elli 3ayshino bi lebnen.
    el mishkleh bi hayda el sou2al enno el opinion shakhsseh aktar manno mou3aber 3an el 7aleh elli aghalabiet el ness 3ayshina.
    yel3an ekhto hal balad shu bekraho. sha3bo 7mar la darajeh enno bi dal yeshkeh wou yen3eh min el ness elli rekbino mitel el 7mar wou bi nafess el wa2et ma beyrda ella ma yerkabou seneh ba3ed seneh.
    sha3eb mareed bi rasso.

theMightyRedV

theMightyRedV

ya3neh inta 3am t7awel tjamel el este7mar elli 3ayshino bi lebnen.
    el mishkleh bi hayda el sou2al enno el opinion shakhsseh aktar manno mou3aber 3an el 7aleh elli aghalabiet el ness 3ayshina.
    yel3an ekhto hal balad shu bekraho. sha3bo 7mar la darajeh enno bi dal yeshkeh wou yen3eh min el ness elli rekbino mitel el 7mar wou bi nafess el wa2et ma beyrda ella ma yerkabou seneh ba3ed seneh.
    sha3eb mareed bi rasso.
    7obbe i dont work nor live in lebanon

Le منشار

Le منشار

7obbe i dont work nor live in lebanon
    good for you. Still "when to work" is not always a personal choice everywhere in the world. the era we live in is called "machine thinking"
    it is where employees are looked upon as machines without a soul. you are picturing being a "workaholic" is a positive thing .. while in reality it is pitiful and ironic.

theMightyRedV

theMightyRedV

good for you. Still "when to work" is not always a personal choice everywhere in the world. the era we live in is called "machine thinking"
    it is where employees are looked upon as machines without a soul. you are picturing being a "workaholic" is a positive thing .. while in reality it is pitiful and ironic.
    Agree and disagree. I never insinuated being a workaholic is a positive thing. Having a strong and dedicated work ethic is a positive thing. But depending on the job description, project constraints and other factors, sometimes it is difficult to have a convenient work life balance. Being taken advantage of and run into the ground at work is pitiful and horrible though.