ARMENIA to open its first embassy in ISRAEL

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Armenia announced on Thursday that it intends to open an embassy in Tel Aviv, a move expected to bring the once cool ties between the two countries to a different level.

“Israel is an important player in the Middle East,” Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan was quoted as saying in a cabinet meeting. “The opening of the embassy will contribute to the deepening of bilateral relations and protection of Armenia’s interests in the region.”

According to the cabinet decision, the move will also strengthen the Armenian Apostolic Church’s presence in the country. The new embassy is expected to open by the beginning of next year.

Mnatsakanyan said that Armenia would welcome a reciprocal move by Israel, and that “this is on the agenda of our dialogue.” Israel gave no indication, however, that it was considering opening an embassy in Yerevan.

Foreign Minister Israel Katz praised Armenia’s decision, saying that it is a “significant step in the development of bilateral relations” between the two states.

Armenia will be the 90th country to open an embassy in Israel, which “attests to the constant increase in the strength of Israel’s position in the world,” according to Katz.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Nizar Amer said that this move reflects the significant improvement of ties between the two countries that has taken place over the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

“The opening of the embassy is a new and important chapter in bilateral relations, and we are confident that this will further strengthen the friendship between the two peoples and enhance cooperation between the states in all areas,” Amer said.

The two countries established formal diplomatic relations in 1992 but it remained on a low burner, partly because of Israel’s close ties with Azerbaijan, Armenia’s arch foe, and Armenia’s close relationship with Iran.

The tenor of the ties started to change in July 2017, when then-regional cooperation minister Tzachi Hanegbi visited Armenia, the highest level visit by an Israeli minister since 2012.

“After years without a ministerial visit to Armenia, I came here as an emissary of the prime minister to give expression to the strong friendship between our countries,” Hanegbi said upon meeting Armenian Prime Minister Karen Karapetyan.

Four months after that visit, Armenia’s foreign minister at the time, Edward Nalbandian, came to Jerusalem and met Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and the two talked about strengthening relations in the fields of hi-tech, cyber and agriculture.

Armenian Deputy Foreign Minister Grigor Hovhannisyan came to Israel in March to hold a political dialogue between the two countries. During an interview with The Jerusalem Post, he raised the idea of opening an embassy, saying that doing so would take the ties between the two countries to the “next level.”

He said that while Armenia would like to see Israel reciprocate by opening an embassy in Yerevan, this would not be a prerequisite for Armenia. He also explained why Yerevan was not considering placing its embassy in Jerusalem.

“For a small country like Armenia, it is very difficult to make major departures from a more traditional stance without provoking major reactions,” he said. “For the time being there is no change in the Armenian approach about where the would-be embassy should be, but fundamentally, I would not focus on that. The important thing is to gear-up the relationship.”

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

1. Armenia should open the embassy in Jerusalem, not Tel Aviv
    2. Israel should recognize the Armenia genocide just like Armenia recognizes the Holocaust
    3. Israel should stop its support for Azerbaijan and focus on Armenia, which is set to become a new tech hub in the region

ّTelefon Kasse

ّTelefon Kasse

2. Israel should recognize the Armenia genocide just like Armenia recognizes the Holocaust
    3. Israel should stop its support for Azerbaijan and focus on Armenia, which is set to become a new tech hub in the region
    I wish israel does just that !!
    Muslim countries need to remember who is the true enemy of our Islamic nation

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Israel should stop its support for Azerbaijan and focus on Armenia, which is set to become a new tech hub in the region
    WCIT 2019 in is Yerevan :)

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Israel doesn't recognize the Armenian genocide? Why? I actually find this shocking! It's not like they're some god forsaken country in the middle of nowhere they're in the middle East neighbouring a country with lots of Armenians.
    Not to mention as Jewish people, one would think they would recognize a genocide when they stumble on one!

Last edited:
    proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    I have problem with this "Israel should stop its support for Azerbaijan" and agree with the rest.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Lack of recognition of Armenian Genocide will forever be a black stain on Israel's history. This needs to be rectified as soon as possible.

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Israel doesn't recognize the Armenian genocide? Why? I actually find this shocking! It's not like they're some god forsaken country in the middle of nowhere they're in the middle East neighbouring a country with lots of Armenians.
    Not to mention as Jewish people, one would think they would recognize a genocide when they stumble on one!
    Most Jews personally do, if not all. I never met one that doesn't recognize the genocide. And many are ashamed of Israel's position. However, government doesn't recognize it because of Israel-Turkey economic partnership. Turkey serves as port for Israel to tap into Arab markets. Blue & White government may, as their MKs have been calling for recognition.

With the shift in Turkish policy in recent years, I sense a change coming.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Most Jews personally do, if not all. I never met one that doesn't recognize the genocide. And many are ashamed of Israel's position. However, government doesn't recognize it because of Israel-Turkey economic partnership. Turkey serves as port for Israel to tap into Arab markets. Blue & White government may, as their MKs have been calling for recognition.

With the shift in Turkish policy in recent years, I sense a change coming.
    Azerbaijan may be in the way of that as well, they need them more than Armenia, more border neighbouring Iran :p

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Azerbaijan may be in the way of that as well, they need them more than Armenia, more border neighbouring Iran :p
    But recognition won't harm Azerbeijan-Israel relations, and I personally do not agree that Israel should involve itself in their internal conflict or take sides.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    But recognition won't harm Azerbeijan-Israel relations, and I personally do not agree that Israel should involve itself in their internal conflict or take sides.
    They side with Azerbaijan in the conflict. It really is quite shameful though the lack of recognition of the Armenian genocide on Israel's part. After all, Hitler said multiple times he was inspired by it most famously during the last part of this speech:

"Accordingly, I have placed my death-head formations in readiness -- for the present only in the East -- with orders to them to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish derivation and language. Only thus shall we gain the living space (Lebensraum) which we need. Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    They side with Azerbaijan in the conflict. It really is quite shameful though the lack of recognition of the Armenian genocide on Israel's part. After all, Hitler said multiple times he was inspired by it most famously during the last part of this speech:

"Accordingly, I have placed my death-head formations in readiness -- for the present only in the East -- with orders to them to send to death mercilessly and without compassion, men, women, and children of Polish derivation and language. Only thus shall we gain the living space (Lebensraum) which we need. Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?"
    You are repeating yourself.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

@Indie Armenia should cut ties with terrorist Iran where Azeris make up 1/4 of the population and pray everyday for the destruction of Armenia, just like Persians pray for the destruction of Israel. Plus Christians in Iran, who are mostly Armenians and Assyrians, are treated as fifth-class citizens.

Armenia should invite all Armenians in barbaric Iran to civilized Armenian to ensure their safety. Armenia should now prioritize allying with Israel and Western countries and put an end to allying with ex-Soviet (except Georgia) and Muslim countries.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Indie Armenia should cut ties with terrorist Iran where Azeris make up 1/4 of the population and pray everyday for the destruction of Armenia, just like Persians pray for the destruction of Israel. Plus Christians in Iran, who are mostly Armenians and Assyrians, are treated as fifth-class citizens.

Armenia should invite all Armenians in barbaric Iran to civilized Armenian to ensure their safety. Armenia should now prioritize allying with Israel and Western countries and put an end to allying with ex-Soviet (except Georgia) and Muslim countries.
    Did Israel cut ties with Turkey and Azerbaijan?

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    It bears repeating when there are people who still disagree with you.
    However, in this case you are preaching to the converted.
    I was reading up on the subject, I was honestly shocked to learn they don't recognize the genocide. Then I read up on Israeli-Azerbaijani relations and more details emerged. Anyway don't worry this is the last time I'll remind you that Israel does not recognize the Armenian genocide. I shouldn't be so shocked anyway, what with the repeated attempts to erase the nakba and the ethnic cleansing of Palestine from history and all ?

Last edited:
    AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Turkish MP visits Lebanon = Armenians protest and cover the walls with "Turkey is guilty of genocide" graffiti.

Armenia opens an embassy in Israel who doesn't recognize the genocide = no one bats an eye in Bourj Hammoud.

Hmmmm...