• Hello Guest

Please bear with us! The Orange Room is being restructured.

Armenian Genocide remembrance day - April 24, 2015

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Set the doodle on April 24 | Փոխե’ք Google Doodle-ը ապրիլի 24-ին

April 24 is remembrance day of the Armenian Genocide.

The Armenian Genocide was the Ottoman government’s systematic extermination of its minority Armenian subjects from their historic homeland within the territory constituting the present-day Republic of Turkey. The starting date is conventionally held to be 24 April 1915, the day Ottoman authorities rounded up and arrested some 250 Armenian intellectuals and community leaders in Constantinople. The total number of people killed as a result has been estimated at between 1 and 1.5 million.

This is why we have the responsibility of spreading awareness about the genocide, and why Google should get involved for all humanity.

Sign the petition here: Petition · Set #ArmenianGenocideDoodle on April 24 @GoogleDoodles · Change.org

Around 70k signature still needed.

• Advertisement
  • modesty

البابا استخدم كلمة "إبادة" لوصف المجازر الأرمنية... وتركيا تشعر بـ"خيبة أمل"
    قال مسؤول إن تركيا أبلغت سفير الفاتيكان لدى أنقرة اليوم "أسفها البالغ وخيبة أملها" بعدما وصف البابا فرنسيس مذابح الأرمن عام 1915 بالإبادة الجماعية، مضيفا أن تصريحات البابا سببت "أزمة ثقة".

وصرح البابا بذلك أثناء إحياء الذكرى المئوية لمقتل ما يقرب من 1.5 مليون أرمني.

أخبار ذات صلة
    قال مسؤول كبير لـ"رويترز" اليوم إن تركيا استدعت سفير الفاتيكان لدى أنقرة بشأن تصريحات للبابا فرنسيس وصف فيها مذبحة الأرمن التي وقعت قبل قرن "بالإبادة الجماعية".

وأضاف المسؤول الذي طلب عدم نشر اسمه أن تركيا التي لم تصدر بعد بيانا رسميا عن تصريحات البابا استدعت السفير للاحتجاج على وصف الأحداث "بالإبادة الجماعية".

وتعترف تركيا بمقتل أعداد كبيرة من الأرمن في معارك مع الجنود العثمانيين بدأت عام 1915 عندما كانت أرمينيا جزءا من الامبراطورية العثمانية التي تحكم من اسطنبول لكنها تنفي مقتل مئات الآلاف ووصف هذه العملية "بالإبادة الجماعية".

واستخدم البابا فرنسيس في قداس احتفالي في كاتدرائية القديس بطرس في روما كلمة "ابادة" لوصف مجازر الارمن قبل مئة عام في ظل السلطنة العثمانية، مجازفا باثارة اضطراب كبير في العلاقات الدبلوماسية بين الفاتيكان وتركيا.

وقال الحبر الاعظم مستندا الى وثيقة موقعة في العام 2000 من البابا يوحنا بولس الثاني وبطريرك الارمن "في القرن الماضي اجتازت عائلتنا البشرية ثلاث مآس جماعية وغير مسبوقة. الاولى اعتبرت بشكل كبير +كاول ابادة في القرن العشرين+ ضربت شعبكم الارمني".

واضاف ان "الاخريين ارتكبتا من قبل النازية والستالينية. وفي وقت اقرب (جرت) تصفيات جماعية مثل تلك (التي وقعت) في كمبوديا ورواندا وبوروندي والبوسنة".

وقال ذلك عند افتتاح قداس في ذكرى الارمن الذين قتلوا بين 1915 و1917 احتفل به مع بطريرك كيليكيا للارمن الكاثوليك نرسيس بدروس التاسع عشر تارموني في حضور رئيس ارمينيا سيرج سركيسيان.

وبالرغم من ان البابا الراحل يوحنا بولس الثاني استخدم هذا التعبير في العام الفين في وثيقة مشتركة كما استخدمها خورخي برغوغليو مرات عدة قبل ان يصبح حبرا اعظم قبل سنتين وحتى مرة على الاقل في جلسة خاصة منذ ذلك الحين، فهي المرة الاولى التي يتلفظ بها حبر اعظم بشكل علني.

ويقدر الارمن عدد الذين قتل منهم بين 1915 1917 مع نهاية الامبراطورية العثمانية ب1,5 مليونا. كما اقر عدد من المؤرخين واكثر من عشرين دولة منها فرنسا وايطاليا وروسيا بحصول ابادة.

اما تركيا فتقول من جهتها ان حربا اهلية كانت دائرة انذاك قتل فيها ما بين 300 و500 الف ارمني وعدد مماثل من الاتراك.

J. Abizeid

Turkey anger at Pope Francis Armenian 'genocide' claim - BBC News

Turkey anger at Pope Francis Armenian 'genocide' claim

Turkey has recalled its envoy to the Vatican after Pope Francis described the mass killing of Armenians under Ottoman rule in WW1 as "genocide".

Turkey has reacted with anger to the comment made by the Pope at a service in Rome earlier on Sunday.

Armenia and many historians say up to 1.5 million people were killed by Ottoman forces in 1915.

But Turkey has always disputed that figure and said the deaths were part of a civil conflict triggered by WW1.

The row has continued to sour relations between Armenia and Turkey.

'Bleeding wound'
    The Pope made the comments at a Mass in the Armenian Catholic rite at Peter's Basilica, attended by the Armenian president and church leaders.

He said that humanity had lived through "three massive and unprecedented tragedies" in the last century.

"The first, which is widely considered 'the first genocide of the 20th Century', struck your own Armenian people," he said, in a form of words used by a declaration by Pope John Paul II in 2001.

Pope Francis also referred to the crimes "perpetrated by Nazism and Stalinism" and said other genocides had followed in Cambodia, Rwanda, Burundi and Bosnia.

He said it was his duty to honour the memories of those who were killed.

"Concealing or denying evil is like allowing a wound to keep bleeding without bandaging it," the Pope added.

Armenia's President Serzh Sargsyan welcomed his comments, saying they sent a powerful message to the international community.

_82263693_026714143-1.jpg

Many members of the Armenian clergy were at the ceremony
    _74402062_167314591.jpg

Turkey rejects the use of the term "genocide" to describe the 1915 mass killings of Armenians
    But Turkey immediately summoned the Vatican's ambassador to Ankara for an explanation, and then later recalled its ambassador from Rome.

The foreign ministry said it felt "great disappointment and sadness" at the Pope's remarks, which it said would cause a "problem of trust" between them.

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu tweeted: "The Pope's statement, which is far from the legal and historical reality, cannot be accepted.

"Religious authorities are not the places to incite resentment and hatred with baseless allegations," he added.

_75306515_line976.jpg

_82264527_026715179-1.jpg

Analysis: David Willey, BBC News, Rome
    Pope Francis, who visited Turkey last year, would have been perfectly conscious that he would offend the moderate Muslim country by his use of the word "genocide".

But the Pope's powerful phrase "concealing or denying evil is like allowing a wound to bleed without bandaging it" extended his condemnation to all other, more recent, mass killings.

It now remains to be seen how far his remarks will impact upon the Vatican's future relations with moderate Muslim states. It was a bold decision but totally coherent with Pope Francis' philosophy of open discussion about moral arguments.

Pope Francis' focus today on Armenia, the first country to adopt Christianity as its state religion, even before the conversion of the Roman Emperor Constantine, serves as yet another reminder of the Catholic Church's widely spread roots in Eastern Europe and the Middle East.

_75306515_line976.jpg

'Political conflict'
    In 2014, for the first time, Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan offered condolences to the grandchildren of all the Armenians who lost their lives.

But he also said that it was inadmissible for Armenia to turn the issue "into a matter of political conflict".

Armenia says up to 1.5 million people died in 1915-16 as the Ottoman empire split. Turkey has said the number of deaths was much smaller.

Most non-Turkish scholars of the events regard them as genocide. Among the other states which formally recognise them as genocide are Argentina, Belgium, Canada, France, Italy, Russia and Uruguay.

Turkey maintains that many of the dead were killed in clashes during World War I, and that ethnic Turks also suffered in the conflict.

JB81

Legendary Member
    Those Turks have the most inferiority complex people ever....

No land no history no culture, all were borrowed and stolen from others...

Coupled by sectarian ignorance.... these Turks are darker than wahhabi arabs...

And Turkey is still persecuting Christians today...

Those Turks have the most inferiority complex people ever....

No land no history no culture, all were borrowed and stolen from others...

Coupled by sectarian ignorance.... these Turks are darker than wahhabi arabs...

And Turkey is still persecuting Christians today...
    Do not generalize, not all turks are as you describe them. And you were surely driven by emotions when you said they have no culture and no history...they had an empire so OF COURSE they "stole" land just like most big nations back in time...

JB81

Legendary Member
    Do not generalize, not all turks are as you describe them. And you were surely driven by emotions when you said they have no culture and no history...they had an empire so OF COURSE they "stole" land just like most big nations back in time...
    I know exactly what I am saying... the Turks are sons of slaves brought from Central Asia to serve their Arab masters.

Things turned against Arabs and Byzantines.... still the Ottomans added no value for humanity...

At least Arabs can say that once they had an advanced civilization... but the Turks they brought no enlightenment for human race...

They ruled Lebanon for over 400 years, all what we got from them is a large stone in Beirut, today called the saray

I know exactly what I am saying... the Turks are sons of slaves brought from Central Asia to serve their Arab masters.

Things turned against Arabs and Byzantines.... still the Ottomans added no value for humanity...

At least Arabs can say that once they had an advanced civilization... but the Turks they brought no enlightenment for human race...

They ruled Lebanon for over 400 years, all what we got from them is a large stone in Beirut, today called the saray
    I'm not defending them nor justifiying their conquers i'm just saying that they aren't the obly ones who did it throughout history. Saying they were sons of slaves as a means of undermining the existence of every turk is bogus, australians now are descendants of british criminals, does that mean anything? besides since only a few people from a civilization are the ones who contribute to the rise of that civilization and its contribution to the world does it make sense to pride yourself with the fact that arabs once enlightened the human race while diminishing the existence of every turk because their past civilization didn't give birth to a few geniuses who might have contributed to human race?

Last edited:

JB81

Legendary Member
    I'm not defending them nor justifiying their conquers i'm just saying that they aren't the obly ones who did it throughout history, and saying they were sons of slaves as a means of undermining the existence of every turk is bogus, australians now are descendants of british criminals, does that mean anything? besides since only a few people from a civilization are the ones who contribute to the rise of that civilization and its contribution to the world does it make sense to pride yourself with the fact that arabs once enlightened the human race while diminishing the existence of every turk because their past civilization didn't give birth to a few geniuses who might have contributed to human race?
    Find me one Turk denouncing the Armenian genocide than li koul 7adithen 7adith.

Not only the Turks, but most Sunnis do not acknowledge neither denounce the genocide.

Bunch of sectarian people who thinks they have God giving right to subdue or kill others.

Not only the Turks, but most Sunnis do not acknowledge neither denounce the genocide.

Bunch of sectarian people who thinks they have God giving right to subdue or kill others.
    I'm sure at least one muslim turk out of the 73564000 who acknowledges and denounces the genocide, and you know there are 120000 christian turkish citizens, so it gives us at least 110000 turkish people who acknowledge and denounce the genocide. and about sunnis in general, i don't care to discuss it and am not an expert in armenian genocide- related censuses among sunni population in various countries...looks like 3am bet fech khel2ak, it's ok just don't regret generalizing later...

JB81

Legendary Member
    I'm sure at least one muslim turk out of the 73564000 who acknowledges and denounces the genocide, and you know there are 120000 christian turkish citizens, so it gives us at least 110000 turkish people who acknowledge and denounce the genocide. and about sunnis in general, i don't care to discuss it and am not an expert in armenian genocide- related censuses among sunni population in various countries...looks like 3am bet fech khel2ak, it's ok just don't regret generalizing later...
    Regret generalization?

If your memory is short, mine is not...

It wasn't too long ago, a couple years when the "secular" blues in Lebanon "accidentally" honored their Othmani brother erdogan, nowhere but in "martyr square" on the day of Armenian genocide remembrance.

Also in Tripoli kal3at muslimin on this day couple years ago, they erected a statue for the genocider Othmani sultan Abdulhamid II who under his watch this atrocities happened.

Of course, those acts are not meant to show others disrespect and as if nothing had happened at all.

Sorry, I may be more direct in pointing out things hoping that Lebanese and people in general should be honest with each others where they should be clear about fears they have towards others.

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

To be fair...Taner Akçam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However...Less than 10% of Turks want gov't to recognize Armenian genocide: poll | Al Akhbar English

EDIT: And it's true that some non-Turkish people also deny the Armenian Genocide simply because of the religion they share with the Turks.

Regret generalization?

If your memory is short, mine is not...

It wasn't too long ago, a couple years when the "secular" blues in Lebanon "accidentally" honored their Othmani brother erdogan, nowhere but in "martyr square" on the day of Armenian genocide remembrance.

Also in Tripoli kal3at muslimin on this day couple years ago, they erected a statue for the genocider Othmani sultan Abdulhamid II who under his watch this atrocities happened.

Of course, those acts are not meant to show others disrespect and as if nothing had happened at all.

Sorry, I may be more direct in pointing out things hoping that Lebanese and people in general should be honest with each others where they should be clear about fears they have towards others.
    again i'm not taking sides, but i will not say "most Sunnis do not acknowledge neither denounce the genocide" simply because a couple of events do not serve as evidence for that claim.

JB81

Legendary Member
    again i'm not taking sides, but i will not say "most Sunnis do not acknowledge neither denounce the genocide" simply because a couple of events do not serve as evidence for that claim.
    These are not just normal couple events... to have them in Martyr Square or erecting a statue for the genocider on the day of Armenian remembrance is deliberate.

All this happened under Sunni community watch... where is the outrage in Tripoli for having a mass murderer non-Lebanese statue in their city?

Enough with this silent acceptance... just like they support ISIS silently