Arresting someone for a casual joke in private is something to be worried about

Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
Orange Room Supporter
Gosh, talk about mixed feelings for me. Of course no one deserves jail time for a joke, but this guy has a million other reasons to be in jail for. So no tears or sadness from me, but yeah, freedom of speech in Lebanon is at a lower level than most Arab countries. That's the only sad part of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    The crap started when you associated me with others.
    you are lying. i did not associate you with anyone. you simply got upset when i brought up slaymen franjiyeh's infamous offense, and you got upset because you have a tribal mentality.

i challenge you to prove otherwise. here i will make it easier for you, these are the links to my post in our discussion.

post 1
    post 2
    post 3
    post 4
    post 5

so I agree " i am not responsible for the actions and speech of anyone else, including other xxx members, leaders, sympathizers etc.. i thought this much is self evident." . thanks for the quote.
    you're welcome. keep taking notes.

We should put all comedians in jail . That should protect your principles . ALL of them have dirty jokes in their gigs. Does that give peace and tranquility ? !
    i neither suggested nor supported anything of that sort. that is a conjecture and falsehood like usual. it is rather very clear from all my posts that i am against asmar's incarceration for what he said. his resignation is a different matter.

so what is the meaning of your charade?

V

Viral

The politicians are criminals. They are breaking the law by usurping the personal freedom and human rights of a Lebanese citizen to promote their image as chief sectarian bigots to reap the gain during elections and to silence economic protests. This is a violation of the fundamental human rights of Asmar. He should sue the Lebanese government in an international court. Not for his own sake, but for the sake of other Lebanese who may find themselves in the same situation and taken advantage of.
    This event awakens in me the human rights violations committed against all the domestic maids in Lebanon that no one pays attention to and Lebanon's society accepted it as normal way of life.
    I'm so disgusted to witness this lack of responsibility by the masses acting so indifferent as if this is not of their business.
    What a shame...

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    This is terrible news... I can't imagine what it would be like for his family now.
    it's alright, we've been through much worse. i am quite sure they will be reunited very shortly to squander whatever fortune he collected from a monthly salary of 12000USD without even showing up at his work place, chances are they'll be quite fine.

@Abou Sandal legally speaking, if he was arrested under a qad7 & zham charge, can they charge him with something else if it became apparent during the investigation while under arrest? this is prohibited in many countries, but in the US for instance they can pull you over for a malfunctioning light in your car in order to search your vehicle for drugs and charge you with that.

V

Viral

There is no fixed charge yet. He is just put under arrest pending instruction.

Walla I’m now afraid he might get a death sentence Eza Heik Sarit...
    Is this a practical joke?
    Are we playing games here?
    This is so embarrassing for Lebanon in front of the whole world...

V

Viral

Gosh, talk about mixed feelings for me. Of course no one deserves jail time for a joke, but this guy has a million other reasons to be in jail for. So no tears or sadness from me, but yeah, freedom of speech in Lebanon is at a lower level than most Arab countries. That's the only sad part of the story.
    I'm absolutely not defending the guy. I'm simply defending basic human rights in Lebanon without them Lebanon has very little left to offer if we care about attracting quality people to the country.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    There is no fixed charge yet. He is just put under arrest pending instruction.

Walla I’m now afraid he might get a death sentence Eza Heik Sarit...
    Who is the judge making the decision? And why isn’t the défense lawyer speaking up? Why isn’t the na2abeh speaking up?

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    the only misfortune is that they did not dare arrest him for any of the hefty violations he committed, and that whatever lead to his arrest is nothing short of personal justice, which constitutes a border line infringement on freedom of expression.

there are hundreds if not thousands of known violators all over Lebanon, some of them are known to have committed very serious offenses, and yet they are free to roam around as they please without a single warrant being issued in their direction...

but what is freedom of expression to a Lebanese anyway? it certainly is not the freedom to speak the truth, to say what needs to be said in times of dire need, but rather it seems to be the freedom to insult others and get away with it?

V

Viral

@Abou Sandal I want to go back to the title of this thread that you initiated. You were very clever choosing its words without mentioning a name because the topic is not about one person rather about a flaw in Lebanon's justice and judicial system. You deserve a medal for a job well done! Thank you!!!

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    the only misfortune is that they did not dare arrest him for any of the hefty violations he committed, and that whatever lead to his arrest is nothing short of personal justice, which constitutes a border line infringement on freedom of expression.

there are hundreds if not thousands of known violators all over Lebanon, some of them are known to have committed very serious offenses, and yet they are free to roam around as they please without a single warrant being issued in their direction...

but what is freedom of expression to a Lebanese anyway? it certainly is not the freedom to speak the truth, to say what needs to be said in times of dire need, but rather it seems to be the freedom to insult others and get away with it?
    Why do you make the law sound like a political witch hunt? You make the law appear subjective and selective. That is the idea I get most times when FPMers talk about fighting corruption and violations of law. We still have a lawless country, where the law is partial and applying it is biased.

There is no reason Asmar should be in jail for a joke while Basil was not arrested for defaming the speaker of the Parliament. The law should be blind to positions and class and should be applied equally on all. It shows the strong can break the law and get away with it. Through this slip, you want to capitalize on it and make him a scapegoat and throw him into jail.

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    it's alright, we've been through much worse. i am quite sure they will be reunited very shortly to squander whatever fortune he collected from a monthly salary of 12000USD without even showing up at his work place, chances are they'll be quite fine.

@Abou Sandal legally speaking, if he was arrested under a qad7 & zham charge, can they charge him with something else if it became apparent during the investigation while under arrest? this is prohibited in many countries, but in the US for instance they can pull you over for a malfunctioning light in your car in order to search your vehicle for drugs and charge you with that.
    I think they are trying to squeeze it under "Isaret Na3arat Ta2ifiyeh" thingy...Ya3neh even more rubbish than under Qad7 W Zamm.
    Absolutely, completely and blatantly illegal.

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Who is the judge making the decision? And why isn’t the défense lawyer speaking up? Why isn’t the na2abeh speaking up?
    No one is speaking up. Today, the only voice that is permitted, is the one that is in compliance with the flow. This is precisely a good indicator for the seriousness of the situation. Implications can be severe.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Why do you make the law sound like a political witch hunt? You make the law appear subjective and selective. That is the idea I get most times when FPMers talk about fighting corruption and violations of law. We still have a lawless country, where the law is partial and applying it is biased.
    that is a question you have to address to yourself. but if you want, i can save you the trouble of thinking through it by yourself and give you the precise answer as to why you are feeling this way, and trust me, i'll be spot on.

There is no reason Asmar should be in jail for a joke while Basil was not arrested for defaming the speaker of the Parliament. The law should be blind to positions and class and should be applied equally on all. It shows the strong can break the law and get away with it. Through this slip, you want to capitalize on it and make him a scapegoat and throw him into jail.
    bassil has legal immunity from such prosecutions, even if we assume that what he said is actually wrong. so legally speaking, there is ample reason.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I think they are trying to squeeze it under "Isaret Na3arat Ta2ifiyeh" thingy...Ya3neh even more rubbish than under Qad7 W Zamm.
    Absolutely, completely and blatantly illegal.
    they surely cannot get him on that ground since he himself is Maronite.. either they will have to charge him with something else or they will have to let him go in a couple of days. most probably they will charge him under qad7 w zham. i think that bkerki will drop the charges given that he did submit his resignation. bass meshkeltak inno saro shi 10 entities pressing charges not just bkerki and the Maronite league (of justice).

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    No one is speaking up. Today, the only voice that is permitted, is the one that is in compliance with the flow. This is precisely a good indicator for the seriousness of the situation. Implications can be severe.
    I don’t understand what is stopping them...
    Seriously...

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    they surely cannot get him on that ground since he himself is Maronite.. either they will have to charge him with something else or they will have to let him go in a couple of days. most probably they will charge him under qad7 w zham. i think that bkerki will drop the charges given that he did submit his resignation. bass meshkeltak inno saro shi 10 entities pressing charges not just bkerki and the Maronite league (of justice).
    His arrest is completely illegal no matter the accusation. There us simply no way to twist the act to become a crime. No way. The law is clear, the jurisprudence is unanimous, and there are no 2 law experts who would even disagree on it.

This is so so so far from legality that I fail to even explain to which extent.

I’ll tell you even more, his mere prosecution is illegal. Engaging legal prosecution over acts that are knowingly not covered by the the criminal code, is a blatant abuse of power.

I would be him, I will seriously engage a procedure for asylum in another country. I would sue the Lebanese government, locally and internationally, I would sue the judges, I would sue every single guy who insulted me, defamed me and incited sectarian hatred against me.

I would move on to another country, hire to best legal team, and let hundreds of lawsuits rain on every single one of those. And I will keep going after them and asking for compensation and seize their assets till after their death. I’ll even sue their inheritors.

And I would never settle no matter how much they offer me.

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    We should take to the street tand protest Beshara's detention.
    I already created a sign for the occasion that reads:
    "Eza ma byou2af ma3o, ne7na we2fin ma3o!"

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Ra7 te3mloo Nelson Mandela 3a shway and open a GoFundMe page for him! Mesh hal2ad. All it is farket dayyne la Berri and his goons.
    And one more thing, jame3et 7ar2 l dweleeb w teskeer l shawere3 whenever someone utters a joke they deem offensive, y3eroona skooton please.