Arresting someone for a casual joke in private is something to be worried about

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
that is a question you have to address to yourself. but if you want, i can save you the trouble of thinking through it by yourself and give you the precise answer as to why you are feeling this way, and trust me, i'll be spot on.

bassil has legal immunity from such prosecutions, even if we assume that what he said is actually wrong. so legally speaking, there is ample reason.
When he insulted Berri, he wasn't an MP. It was before the election. There wasn't any immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don’t understand what is stopping them...
    Seriously...
    Because few bozos turned the matter into a sectarian issue. So the one who speaks up against injustice will be portrayed as speaking against the sect..

A classical tune, but this time, the judges are in complete compliance with the sectarian desires of the sectarian ruling mafias.

So not only are you now deprived of legal protection, but worse, you can be persecuted under legal cover.

A clear regime of terror is gaining ground...

V

Viral

13:17 بشارة الاسمر وقع استقالته والاتحاد العمالي العام بانتظار تسلمها

13:10 انتهاء الاجتماع في الاتحاد العمالي العام

This resignation is no different than Hariri's resignation from Riyadh.
    Shame on a society when MBS is not humiliating it, IT HUMILIATES ITSELF...
    May be that's what it deserves after all...

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    Ra7 te3mloo Nelson Mandela 3a shway and open a GoFundMe page for him! Mesh hal2ad. All it is farket dayyne la Berri and his goons.
    And one more thing, jame3et 7ar2 l dweleeb w teskeer l shawere3 whenever someone utters a joke they deem offensive, y3eroona skooton please.
    You're destroying the law and order in the country kermel teferkolo dayneh la berri. W yaret fikon teferkolo dayneh la berri. 3am te7lamo w te7ko kalam into mish addah. Mafikon la Berri. You're using a perceived enemy and in this case, an innocent man to set a bad example and break the law. Even Berri has not done this: to abuse power and use state apparatus to revenge against an opponent. Hey ba3ed ma sarat ella 3a eyyemkon. I don't understand why other parties are quiet. You're setting a bad example with the rule of law. We are simply living in a kingdom or a jungle of lawlessness. Ya3neh, previously, we know there was no law. Now we are experiencing not the absence of law, but the presence of chaos and break down in order.

V

Viral

Because few bozos turned the matter into a sectarian issue. So the one who speaks up against injustice will be portrayed as speaking against the sect..

A classical tune, but this time, the judges are in complete compliance with the sectarian desires of the sectarian ruling mafias.

So not only are you now deprived of legal protection, but worse, you can be persecuted under legal cover.

A clear regime of terror is gaining ground...
    It's a tribal society at best... And we think we're better than the Bedouins living in the desert...

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    they surely cannot get him on that ground since he himself is Maronite.. either they will have to charge him with something else or they will have to let him go in a couple of days. most probably they will charge him under qad7 w zham. i think that bkerki will drop the charges given that he did submit his resignation. bass meshkeltak inno saro shi 10 entities pressing charges not just bkerki and the Maronite league (of justice).
    Wain elli bi2olo: "love thy enemies"?

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    @Abou Sandal Ma3leh...we are not in Switzerland. Khalle l 3alam tet3allam what course they should take in case such things happen. Once that happens you can then amend the laws to further protect freedom of speech - including hate speech. Bass when you have the Speaker say that the weak goes to court, it's a different ballgame ma3 hal 2orta.

V

Viral

I wish to remind us that no one here represents a party or a sect. Everyone represents himself/ herself regardless of what they wear on their sleeves...

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Ra7 te3mloo Nelson Mandela 3a shway and open a GoFundMe page for him! Mesh hal2ad. All it is farket dayyne la Berri and his goons.
    And one more thing, jame3et 7ar2 l dweleeb w teskeer l shawere3 whenever someone utters a joke they deem offensive, y3eroona skooton please.
    I think you're setting a dangerous precedent by seizing on this scandal to punish Beshara for something else he might have done.

This is akin to the law of the jungle. If you have proof of Beshara's financial misconduct, you should present your evidence and sue him in court. You don't sue him by letting the government trespass on freedom of expression.

After all, this is not just about Beshara, but about everyone who values what little freedom we have left in this country.

V

Viral

I think you're setting a dangerous precedent by seizing on this scandal to punish Beshara for something else he might have done.

This is akin to the law of the jungle. If you have proof of Beshara's financial misconduct, you should present your evidence and sue him in court. You don't sue him by letting the government trespass on freedom of expression.

After all, this is not just about Beshara, but about everyone who values what little freedom we have left in this country.
    Justice can wait. ;)
    We have a bigger fish to fry now :lol:

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin

I am ok with the 'dangerous' precedent. You're battling 2ortet militias. Mesh wa2ta. Khedlak 3emloo muqawem. :)

Manifesto

Manifesto

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Wain elli bi2olo: "love thy enemies"?
    The ones castigating Beshara today are the same ones who defended that dumb FPM MP who threatened to cut Ragheb Alameh's head.

It's your typical FPM mentality. What applies to others doesn't apply to their holiness.

The only problem is that the victim this time happens to be a Berri affiliate, so naturally mish ra7 yle2oulo "asbeb tekhfifiyeh".

But had he been an FPMer, the reactions would have been very different.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    @Abou Sandal Ma3leh...we are not in Switzerland. Khalle l 3alam tet3allam what course they should take in case such things happen. Once that happens you can then amend the laws to further protect freedom of speech - including hate speech. Bass when you have the Speaker say that the weak goes to court, it's a different ballgame ma3 hal 2orta.
    Except we are better than the speaker of the house... and we have to criticise when things are not done right. It’s not ok to trample on anyone’s freedom when they have committed no crime. This guy may be prosecuted for numerous things but not this. Politics and resignation aside, he should be set free

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    Except we are better than the speaker of the house... and we have to criticise when things are not done right. It’s not ok to trample on anyone’s freedom when they have committed no crime. This guy may be prosecuted for numerous things but not this. Politics and resignation aside, he should be set free
    He isn't incarcerated. He is being questioned.

Abou Sandal

Abou Sandal

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I know we're not in Switzerland...Trust me...I know :banghead:

But is that a reason to turn into North Korea and be fine with it? Lek Enta Bel Zeit Sert Bkhaf 3leik Yesheddouk 3al 7abes because half of what you say is considered by their standards "Isarat El Na3arat El Ta2ifiyeh":lol:

Ana Byetla3leh Shi one and a half years
    @Dark Angel Byekhedlo Shi 6 months
    @HannaTheCrusader Mou2abbad
    @AtheistForJesus E3dem Shanqan
    @Telefon Kasse E3dem Shanqan W Men Ba3da E3dem Dab7an, Marrtein

Honestly, even Ghandi Byetla3lo Bel Mayyte Kaffen 3al Meshe...3ala So77t El Salemeh Ya3ne.

Hrebo :lol:

Last edited:
    Libnene Qu7

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    the only misfortune is that they did not dare arrest him for any of the hefty violations he committed, and that whatever lead to his arrest is nothing short of personal justice, which constitutes a border line infringement on freedom of expression.

there are hundreds if not thousands of known violators all over Lebanon, some of them are known to have committed very serious offenses, and yet they are free to roam around as they please without a single warrant being issued in their direction...
    I agree with you here. Unfortunately this is proof just how sectarian our country is (as if we needed reminding). You can steal, lie, even murder, but you can't hurt precious and fragile sectarian feelings.

but what is freedom of expression to a Lebanese anyway? it certainly is not the freedom to speak the truth, to say what needs to be said in times of dire need, but rather it seems to be the freedom to insult others and get away with it?
    It should be for everything, from highest and loftiest truths to the lowest and most disgusting insults. Freedom of speech means exactly that, freedom of speech, not freedom of truth only.

Last edited: