• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Assisted Dying - Should it be legalized?

Do you support legalizing Assisted Dying in your country?

• Strongly support - individuals have the right to choose when to end their life

• Moderately support - terminally ill patients only

• Moderately support - terminally ill and mental health patients only

• Oppose - life is sacred and any form of ending life is morally wrong

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
It makes sense for ex-Christians to attack Christianism
As well as ex-FPM to continously attack FPM (look around the forum)

I think The reason for that is very simple,
Ex-Christians are still more familiar with Christianity than any other religion.

Few of the reasons why they lost faith would be that they feel like they were deceived or maybe even lied to by the Religion they were committed to.

This naturally develops hatred on the long term and it’s real!
what does not make sense is to be angry at God when one no longer believes in God. people are free to believe whatever they want, but Christianity is not something that through believing or disbelieving a story, and it is not about praying, fasting and going to church, it is more about a personal attachment with God. you either have that or you do not. many people invest plenty of time in practicing every aspect of Christianity without developing that link for many reasons; and by definition theirs is a meaningless waste of time if they are stuck in the rituals, and many do leave, but in reality what they are leaving is not Christianity and does not even resemble it, and they may feel they have been lied to. Christianity however rarely begins with "they" to be lied to, it rather begins with the self, the conscious being and the curious mind.

• Advertisement
  • Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    There’s a big question here as to why people that were religious lost faith.
    They often regain their faith, and a stronger version of it, if they endure the darkness and reach the other side. Suicide robs them of that opportunity.

On an unrelated note, the last comments in this thread make me quite sad. People I like ripping each other appart. Really guys...you can all do better.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Few of the reasons why they lost faith would be The feeling like they were deceived or maybe even lied to by the Religion they were committed to.
    Except what usually happens is not that the Church lied to them. It's that the world is such a hard place that it takes almost superhuman will to live as a true Christian in it. Many end up looking for excuses to leave the faith, in order to make their lives easier. Only time can teach them that, on the long term, it will only make their lives more difficult, because they are trading long term happiness for short term gains.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I thought you should know that the next time I met this guy I suggested that we play in the shower, to avoid a repeat of my last experience :)
    For those who live according to the flesh have their outlook shaped by the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit have their outlook shaped by the things of the Spirit. For the outlook of the flesh is death, but the outlook of the Spirit is life and peace, because the outlook of the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to the law of God, nor is it able to do so.

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    Except what usually happens is not that the Church lied to them. It's that the world is such a hard place that it takes almost superhuman will to live as a true Christian in it. Many end up looking for excuses to leave the faith, in order to make their lives easier. Only time can teach them that, on the long term, it will only make their lives more difficult, because they are trading long term happiness for short term gains.
    But the Church ‘God’s representation on Earth’ headed by ‘Vicar of Christ’ and through all the malpractices committed in the past made the choice much easier to take.

Priests, Monks and Cardinals took Christianity’s principles and laws for granted and their actions were covered up by the Pope himself.

They did not fear god.
    And those are supposed to be the closest to him.

People have the right to question the legitimacy of the church and even the existence of God himself.

الحرس الجمهوري

الحرس الجمهوري

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    For those who live according to the flesh have their outlook shaped by the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit have their outlook shaped by the things of the Spirit. For the outlook of the flesh is death, but the outlook of the Spirit is life and peace, because the outlook of the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to the law of God, nor is it able to do so.
    images.jpg

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    But the Church ‘God’s representation on Earth’ headed by ‘Vicar of Christ’ and through all the malpractices committed in the past made the choice much easier to take.

Priests, Monks and Cardinals took Christianity’s principles and laws for granted and their actions were covered up by the Pope himself.

They didn’t not fear god.
    And those are supposed to be the closest to him.

People have the right to question the legitimacy of the church and even the existence of God himself.
    Yes, but here, it is good to remember what Darky said about Christianity being, above all, a personal relationship with God.

Then, it will no longer matter what individual clerics do. They are only human, after all.

Even Jesus' personally chosen disciples were flawed and comitted wrongs.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    It makes sense for ex-Christians to attack Christianism
    As well as ex-FPM to continously attack FPM (look around the forum)
    hmm I feel among the targeted :D:D

I think The reason for that is very simple,
    Ex-Christians are still more familiar with Christianity than any other religion.
    there should be a real separation between the Christianity and the clergy.
    Unfortunately the clergy is mostly a corrupt institution that needs deep reforms.
    But that should not be mixed with Christianity.

The closest analogy I can find, is that you don't hate democracy because you have corrupt politicians.
    You can and should be angry against corrupt politicians but you don't destroy democracy because of them
    likewise you should be angry against the clergy but the clergy is not the Christianity...

this is my 5 cents ;)

PS. I don't like the clergy at all

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    hmm I feel among the targeted :D:D

there should be a real separation between the Christianity and the clergy.
    Unfortunately the clergy is mostly a corrupt institution that needs deep reforms.
    But that should not be mixed with Christianity.

The closest analogy I can find, is that you don't hate democracy because you have corrupt politicians.
    You can and should be angry against corrupt politicians but you don't destroy democracy because of them
    likewise you should be angry against the clergy but the clergy is not the Christianity...

this is my 5 cents ;)
    In defense of the clergy, I know many more absolutely wonderful nuns and priests than "bad" ones. It's always the "bad" ones that make the news but they are not the majority.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    In defense of the clergy, I know many more absolutely wonderful nuns and priests than "bad" ones. It's always the "bad" ones that make the news but they are not the majority.
    I am not saying they are all bad, but as you said the bad gets more light which spoils the reputation as a whole.
    however this should be independent of the faith

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    what does not make sense is to be angry at God when one no longer believes in God. people are free to believe whatever they want, but Christianity is not something that through believing or disbelieving a story, and it is not about praying, fasting and going to church, it is more about a personal attachment with God. you either have that or you do not. many people invest plenty of time in practicing every aspect of Christianity without developing that link for many reasons; and by definition theirs is a meaningless waste of time if they are stuck in the rituals, and many do leave, but in reality what they are leaving is not Christianity and does not even resemble it, and they may feel they have been lied to. Christianity however rarely begins with "they" to be lied to, it rather begins with the self, the conscious being and the curious mind.
    I wonder why did we get this fight over Bassil !!
    We should put it behind us :D

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter
    Yes, but here, it is good to remember what Darky said about Christianity being, above all, a personal relationship with God.

Then, it will no longer matter what individual clerics do. They are only human, after all.

Even Jesus' personally chosen disciples were flawed and comitted wrongs.
    Re: @JustLeb aswell

Here’s the thing..

We were told and taught about Christianity and its principles by Clerics and Priests
    They were the ones who Brainwashed us into believing that there’s a devine entity called God

Whether in your Catholic School or Khoure l dai3a.
    Faith was introduced to us through all these people.

If the church turned out to be corrupt. This should instantly trigger an alarm.

If that did not make you even question the legitimacy of whatever that was taught to you by these institutions, then i don’t know what else would.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Here’s the thing..

We were told and taught about Christianity and its principles by Clerics and Priests
    They were the ones that Brainwashed us into believing that there’s a devine entity called God

If that did not make you even question the legitimacy of whatever that was taught to you by these institutions, then i don’t know what else would.
    1 - "The Church" is not corrupt, even if individuals in it might be.

2 - Out of the individuals in the Church who are corrupt, we do not know who is a true Christian and who is not: google Bella Dodd.

3 - It is not the teachings of the Church, alone, that have us convinced in our faith. Our personal experiences corroborate those teachings.

SeaAb

SeaAb

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    1 - "The Church" is not corrupt, even if individuals in it might be.

2 - Out of the individuals in the Church who are corrupt, we do not know who is a true Christian and who is not: google Bella Dodd.

3 - It is not the teachings of the Church, alone, that have us convinced in our faith. Our personal experiences corroborate those teachings.
    Ayya not corrupt! Watch the series Borgia and get a glimpse into how the Church was being run. :lol:

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Here’s the thing..

They were the ones who Brainwashed us into believing that there’s a devine entity called God

Again the two are different , there is the faith and their is the authority. You can't mix the two.
    If khoury el day3a is [i]Sanadé[/i] it does not mean the faith is wrong. It does mean that khoury el day3a does not practice what he preaches.

On the other hand, the existence of God is another story and I don't know why this thread is turning into religion discussion.
    Anyway to make it short. Usually atheist refer to science to deny God, but science does not deny God, all what science does is try to explain
    phenomenons and based on this explanation try to predict other phenomenons and events.
    The more science digs, the more question arises and the more things get complicated.
    If you listen to astro physicists and theoretical physicists, at one time their talks reach the level of science fiction and metaphysics ...
    At this point things become so mixed up that you wonder if we are still in science or in fiction.
    This proves that there is sooooo much things to learn and we are extremely far from deciding on the question if God exists or not.

As I put it myself and without any scientific proof (that's why it is called faith), the ultimate achievement of science is when it decides
    beyond reasonable doubt that God exists and gives proof for it.
    Usually I don't like to debate this issue because I strongly believe it is a personal choice.

JustLeb

JustLeb

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Ayya not corrupt! Watch the series Borgia and get a glimpse into how the Church was being run. :lol:

True the clergy is corrupt. I don't like to use the word Church because for me it has a holy meaning.
    Anyway, I hope Pope Francis will be able to reform it, into more transparent and responsible institution.

In short be as Gebran Al Qawi :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    First, the series are not 100% accurate, although it is a fact that not all of it is false, and there was a lot of corruption at the time.

Second, when we speak of the Church, we speak of every Christian that has ever existed and will ever exist.

Do you mean to say that every single pope or clergyman or nun or lay Christian that ever existed is corrupt?

Not all teachers are good but we still send kids to school because we trust in the education system overall. Same holds true for the Church.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    True the clergy is corrupt. I don't like to use the word Church because for me it has a holy meaning.
    Anyway, I hope Pope Francis will be able to reform it, into more transparent and responsible institution.

There were many popes before Francis that were excellent as well.

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter

Oh I don't think you'd like him if you knew his stances on homosexuality, transgender individuals, divorce, heck I think even economy wise he's at the opposite end of the spectrum from you considering you veer more towards the right!

But yes I hope he does get a chance to make the church reflect a better image of Christianity, one that promotes love and tolerance above all else.

Last edited:
    Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Oh I don't think you'd like him if you knew his stances on homosexuality, transgender individuals, divorce, heck I think even economy wise he's at the opposite end of the spectrum from you considering you veer more towards the right!

But yes I hope he does get a chance to make the church reflect a better image of Christianity, one that promotes love and tolerance above all else.
    I think it is you who does not know the pope's stances :)