Beirut Duty Free thoughts

technologylover

technologylover

Hi
I'd like to know what do you think about duty free in beirut airport? Are items really cheaper ? Or is it useless ?

And what did you notice you could find at good prices in the duty free , so what are the items that are worth it to buy from there ? Electronics ? Tobacco ?

The duty free website is unfortunately totally useless .

• Advertisement
  • NMA

NMA

i'm there every week... cheaper ? absolutely not.
    Maybe and only perfumes but that's because mbanda2in.
    everything else is over expensive really.

well except tobacco and not sure about alcohol prices because i dont buy.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Perfumes and Alcohol are definitely cheaper than anywhere else i have ever been.

The rest, i dont know.

mikeys71

mikeys71

Tobacco only. Alcohol maybe cheaper then Europe but definitely more expensive then in the US. Snacks, coffee and tea are ridiculously priced.

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    This whole duty free thing has been an enigma to me. Stuff in airports almost everywhere in the world are some of the most expensive you'd come across.

opium

opium

Used to be cheaper before. For the Tobacco it is cheaper but not as it should be. For the Alcohol sometimes you can get better deals/price buying from local market. For other consumables it is almost the same and sometimes more expensive unless there was promotions.

They are charging premium because the cost is very high for the company in charge.

The bid was won for 74 millions USD per year, plus 3.25 USD per passenger(avg 10 million passenger per year, 32.5 million usd additional)

This is the reason why you pay 5000 lbp for a small bottle of water and 10000 lbp for a coffee.

fidelio

fidelio

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This whole duty free thing has been an enigma to me. Stuff in airports almost everywhere in the world are some of the most expensive you'd come across.
    It went from cheaper tax-free items to a monopoly of goods and prices inside a restricted, confined and obligatory terminal. It's a global phenomena mind you, governments prefer to be the landlords of an expensive shopping mall where they can milk the consumer at every end.

I would support a proposition turning the duty-free areas into small markets where local businesses showcase their products and offer their goods at lower prices for marketing purposes. Of course, the state has to keep tabs on transgressions but the duty-free areas should be more part of the tourism showcase than a cash cow for the treasury and connected businessmen.