• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Beirut gay pride 2017

eLad

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Beirut gay pride event a first for Lebanon
By Tamara Qiblawi, CNN

Updated 0948 GMT (1748 HKT) May 16, 2017

Beirut Pride bracelets are being distributed as part of this week's campaign.
(CNN)The first ever gay pride event is taking place this week in Lebanon, a country where homosexual acts are still considered a crime.

Instead of the usual gay pride parades seen in the West, Beirut Pride will include an exhibition on gender fluidity in fashion as well as a storytelling get-together centered on coming-out stories and a gay-themed party in one of the Middle East's biggest night clubs.
Several anti-homophobia events and demonstrations have taken place in Lebanon in recent years, but activists are hailing Beirut Pride as a "first".

"This is definitely a big milestone. I'm very excited that this is happening," said Diana Abou Abbas, a member of the queer community since its genesis more than 15 years ago and manager at Beirut sexual-health center Marsa.

The event could break significant ground, just as a recent online and television advertisement did by featuring a lesbian couple. One of Lebanon's oldest and largest restaurant chains, Crepaway, commissioned the ad -- a first for Lebanese advertising -- "to include people we see everywhere around us," its head of communications Mario Thoumy told CNN.

A still from Crepaway's new advert.

Crepaway received an outpouring of support after the ad ran. "Now we realize more and more how much this has affected people who needed someone to give them attention or respect," Thoumy said. "We really didn't want to exclude anyone."

Abou Abbas thinks the ad goes a long way toward affirming lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights. "It's really significant that a corporation as huge as Crepaway and that has been present as part of Lebanese culture for a while acknowledges that even if you are a lesbian couple you are welcome to come to Crepaway," said Abbas.

A local production
The organizers say Beirut Pride is an event of the city's own making -- a culmination of years of grassroots mobilization that first emerged from secret meetings and online chat rooms.

Hadi Damien, initiator of Beirut Pride, told CNN that the first week-long pride campaign with more than a couple dozen events was the result of many meetings with nongovernmental organizations, artists and nightclubs. They came together to help improve the visibility of LGBT people across multiple venues and audiences.

Damien said that Beirut Pride is not looking to promote legal rights such as gay marriage -- Lebanon has not fully legalized civil marriages. Nor do organizers seek to repeal Article 534 of the penal code, which prohibits sexual acts "contrary to the order of nature."

They're seeking to "banalize" LGBT people, to help "transcend labels" that alienate individuals of certain sexual identities.

A protestor waves the gay pride flag as others hold banners during an anti-homophobia rally in Beirut on April 30, 2013.

"This is an initiative that is coming to denounce -- and in very peaceful means -- all kinds of hate and discrimination, but we specifically work with sexual identity," Damien told CNN.

It is part and parcel of the environment in Lebanon as the country continues trying to bind the wounds of a civil war that drew in virtually every facet of a diverse society. Beirut Pride is entrenched in a larger effort to combat hate and reconcile communities, Damien said.

'The right moment'
Asked if Beirut Pride could have come any earlier, the activists CNN spoke to answered with a resounding "no." They said the movement's history has been rife with backlashes from the country's religious and security apparatus.

Various anti-homophobia campaigns have been met with protests, and venues have been reluctant to host their events. According to organizers, a hotel in central Beirut that was meant to serve as a venue for a Beirut Pride launch event canceled less than 24 hours before it was set to begin after saying it had received security threats. CNN cannot verify their claims.

There have also been a series of security crackdowns on gay-friendly night clubs and bathhouses, events that stirred sizable debate in the national media.

But there are indications that resistance to LGBT rights may be weakening. Earlier this year, a fourth Lebanese judge ruled against Article 534 in a court hearing. And in 2015, the Lebanese Psychiatric Society called for its abolition.

"Now is the right moment," Damien insisted. "I just feel it. We must be catalysts."

'First time I tell this story'
One feature of Beirut Pride is a night of storytelling by members of the LGBT community. On the roof of a repurposed warehouse, people will take to the stage, pick up a mic and lay themselves bare.

One of the four speakers so far listed has announced her performance on her personal Facebook page.
"First time I tell this story in public," she wrote. And then, a plea: "Familiar faces would ease the butterflies. Come."

eLad

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Lebanon LGBT event cancelled after threats

BEIRUT (AFP) - A weekend seminar in Beirut to promote LGBT rights has been cancelled after "threats" from religious figures, its organisers said on Monday.

The Proud Lebanon group had planned to host journalists, artists and doctors at a hotel in Beirut at an event to focus on discrimination against the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community.

"The Association of Muslim Scholars threatened to hold protests in front of the hotel, which finally cancelled the event," said Proud Lebanon director Bertho Makso.

The conservative group had on Sunday posted what it called "the last warning" on its Facebook page, demanding that the interior ministry ban the conference which it labelled a "crime against virtue".

"If the authorities do not live up to their role, they will have to face the consequences," it said, warning of a "mobilisation of all those who care about virtue and honour... to forbid this seminar".

Makso said the hotel took the decision to cancel for security reasons.

"There were real threats," he said. "We then thought of holding the event in a public place, but who could guarantee the safety of the participants?" The theologians welcomed the cancellation.

The conference, entitled "No matter who they love, they remain my children" was to have focused on the importance of family support for LGBT children.

Planned ahead of the May 17 International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO), it was to have included the screening of a documentary collecting the testimonies of LGBT victims of discrimination in Lebanon.

It was the second year in a row that Proud Lebanon has cancelled a pro-tolerance event.

In 2016, it abandoned plans for an LGBT rights meeting with artists and journalists after coming under pressure from Christian religious authorities.

"The persecutions need to stop. Sexual tendencies are a private matter," said Makso.

While Lebanon is considered more tolerant of sexual diversity than other Arab countries, the police regularly raid gay bars and other LGBT-friendly spaces.

Homosexuals are often the target of jokes, including on television.

LGBT activists are pushing for changes to the Lebanese Penal Code, which currently allows courts to punish "unnatural" sexual relations with up to one year in prison.

Reports of policemen carrying out so-called "anal tests" to determine whether or not a man is gay have provoked outrage in the press and on social media.

In recent years, small progress has been made in the fight against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender thanks to civil society initiatives but also to several judges taking a stand.

Some judges have decided to acquit defendants on the basis that homosexuality was not "unnatural".

To mark IDAHO, a platform of human rights defenders and LGBT activists are holding a series of events in Beirut from Wednesday to Sunday to include film screenings, debates and testimonies.

"It's an unprecedented event in the Arab world," said Hadi Damien, founder of the Beirut Pride platform launched in August last year.

"We don't want to go down into the streets to provoke anyone. Our message is a peaceful message that denounces all discrimination," he said.

"We have to rise above labels. It's not because someone is different that it's OK to beat or humiliate them."

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Jeez that lasted what half an hour lol

But anyway what kind of reaction did they expect from the crowd who deemed a coca cola billboard indecent enough to cause an uproar

Last edited:

SeaAb

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin
Yes, let us all be reminded again just how peaceful Islam is.

Omar Bin Khattab is one of history's gayest figures... FYI.
[article]"In 2016, it abandoned plans for an LGBT rights meeting with artists and journalists after coming under pressure from Christian religious authorities."[/article]

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
[article]"In 2016, it abandoned plans for an LGBT rights meeting with artists and journalists after coming under pressure from Christian religious authorities."[/article]

they cancelled a press conference ye3ne?

"Perhaps it’s a sign that Lebanon has become safer and more Western-oriented: a group of about 50 LGBT activists from the Lebanon-based Helem association, for the first time in four years staged a sit-in outside the Hbeish police station in Beirut, where the “morality police” hold transgressors of article 534 in the penal code which criminalizes relations that are “against nature,” Naharnet reported. The protesters demanded that the law be revoked, and that four transgender women be released. They carried signs saying, “Homosexuality is not a disease,” “Sex is not illegal — your law is archaic,” and “Repeal 534.”

An event that was scheduled to follow the demonstration, organized by Proud Lebanon, was canceled due to pressure from Christian religious authorities."​

this is my honest opinion seaab, with all the things in play at the moment, and all the priorities needing to fall in order, there is no need for people to advertise their sexual orientations in parades, other than that silly law that is practiced almost exclusively by hbeish police station, nobody gives a damn how people prefer to get f***d. 3inna 1000 darbe sokhne that take utmost priority over this silliness.

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
Orange Room Supporter

The day Christian religious authorities, whom you know how fully I disagree with, convert their rage to actual violence, then you're right. So far, all I see is Islamist thuggish behaviour. That's not to say Christians zealots don't have any, but how often to we encounter it? From banning billboards in Tripoli and Beirut to bombing shops that sell liquor in Saida and Sour, Chrsitian thugs are still in kindergarten compared to their pHD Islamist counterparts.

"Perhaps it’s a sign that Lebanon has become safer and more Western-oriented: a group of about 50 LGBT activists from the Lebanon-based Helem association, for the first time in four years staged a sit-in outside the Hbeish police station in Beirut, where the “morality police” hold transgressors of article 534 in the penal code which criminalizes relations that are “against nature,” Naharnet reported. The protesters demanded that the law be revoked, and that four transgender women be released. They carried signs saying, “Homosexuality is not a disease,” “Sex is not illegal — your law is archaic,” and “Repeal 534.”

An event that was scheduled to follow the demonstration, organized by Proud Lebanon, was canceled due to pressure from Christian religious authorities."​

this is my honest opinion seaab, with all the things in play at the moment, and all the priorities needing to fall in order, there is no need for people to advertise their sexual orientations in parades, other than that silly law that is practiced almost exclusively by hbeish police station, nobody gives a damn how people prefer to get f***d. 3inna 1000 darbe sokhne that take utmost priority over this silliness.

You're right, I totally agree. Nevertheless, it is important to highlight the suffering of a segment of our society. Remember, those numbers (50) are the only ones who dared. In reality there are far more LGBT people in our society.

SeaAb

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin

Why didn't the 'Christian Authorities' just ignore the event and instead focus on other pressing matters like you said? But no, they HAD to pressure Helem to cancel the event. Maybe they should set their priorities straight not the ones fighting for their basic human rights.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
Why didn't the 'Christian Authorities' just ignore the event and instead focus on other pressing matters like you said? But no, they HAD to pressure Helem to cancel the event. Maybe they should set their priorities straight not the ones fighting for their basic human rights.

It's never the time in Lebanon to ask for basic human rights! Like the rape law or the nationality law or this particular law! You gotta shut up and take it because there are more pressing matters!

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
i doubt they have any relations with helm to pressure them or not to pressure them, and i certainly do not see them interfering to cancel a press conference. i also have no clue what or who they mean by "Christian Authorities".

more importantly, i do not have enough information to know what happened so that i can form an opinion. do you?

as i have pointed out, apart from that ridiculous law needing to be cancelled or put out of practice, i do not really care what people do in their private life or how they perceive their own sexuality.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
You're right, I totally agree. Nevertheless, it is important to highlight the suffering of a segment of our society. Remember, those numbers (50) are the only ones who dared. In reality there are far more LGBT people in our society.
no, what is important is to light, not to highlight, the suffering of people proportionally to the amount of attention they deserve. everybody suffers, and if you have learned one thing from decline of politics in the west is that special interest groups always achieve more than they are democratically entitled to, and this is at the expense of others.

there is no need to follow in that path because we know exactly where it leads to. this doesn't mean there is no problem, the problem is real, i just refuse to let it be represented out of proportion relatively to all the other problems we are facing as a people.

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
i doubt they have any relations with helm to pressure them or not to pressure them, and i certainly do not see them interfering to cancel a press conference. i also have no clue what or who they mean by "Christian Authorities".

more importantly, i do not have enough information to know what happened so that i can form an opinion. do you?

as i have pointed out, apart from that ridiculous law needing to be cancelled or put out of practice, i do not really care what people do in their private life or how they perceive their own sexuality.

That sentence was taken out of the second article elad posted...

This rally is a pro tolerance rally, the fact that they had to cancel it twice fearing for their safety once and getting pressured into it another time is quite telling regarding how much tolerance our society allows... You have a pro tolerance rally? No f*Ck you we don't and will never tolerate you! You're a pariah!

The issue here is not that they are brave enough to organise such rallies, or that they are brave enough to organise a protest in hbeish... The issue is that they have to be brave to begin with!

However I do agree with your assessment, that people should not care about how other people choose to express their sexuality lol

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
That sentence was taken out of the second article elad posted...

This rally is a pro tolerance rally, the fact that they had to cancel it twice fearing for their safety once and getting pressured into it another time is quite telling regarding how much tolerance our society allows... You have a pro tolerance rally? No f*Ck you we don't and will never tolerate you! You're a pariah!

The issue here is not that they are brave enough to organise such rallies, or that they are brave enough to organise a protest in hbeish... The issue is that they have to be brave to begin with!

However I do agree with your assessment, that people should not care about how other people choose to express their sexuality lol

you know, with 2 million syrian refugees, a huge proportion of the lebanese people under poverty line, the intellectual and cultural decline, people still dying at hospitals' entrances, no safety net for the elderly, the complete absence of civil marriage, etc.. i could care less whether how x y or z like to have sex,

so enough silliness.

SeaAb

Legendary Member
Staff member
Super Penguin

No i do not. I just relied on the information mentioned in the article.
Anyways, the fact that you cast doubt on religious figures from Bkerki interfering in Helem's conference is enough to show that we're both in agreement - It would be wrong to pressure Helem to cancel their event. With that said, you are free to hold on to your beliefs and i respect your right to do so, in the privacy of your own home. :)

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Lebanon LGBT event cancelled after threats

BEIRUT (AFP) - A weekend seminar in Beirut to promote LGBT rights has been cancelled after "threats" from religious figures, its organisers said on Monday.

The Proud Lebanon group had planned to host journalists, artists and doctors at a hotel in Beirut at an event to focus on discrimination against the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community.

"The Association of Muslim Scholars threatened to hold protests in front of the hotel, which finally cancelled the event," said Proud Lebanon director Bertho Makso.

The conservative group had on Sunday posted what it called "the last warning" on its Facebook page, demanding that the interior ministry ban the conference which it labelled a "crime against virtue".

"If the authorities do not live up to their role, they will have to face the consequences," it said, warning of a "mobilisation of all those who care about virtue and honour... to forbid this seminar".

Makso said the hotel took the decision to cancel for security reasons.

"There were real threats," he said. "We then thought of holding the event in a public place, but who could guarantee the safety of the participants?" The theologians welcomed the cancellation.

The conference, entitled "No matter who they love, they remain my children" was to have focused on the importance of family support for LGBT children.

Planned ahead of the May 17 International Day Against Homophobia (IDAHO), it was to have included the screening of a documentary collecting the testimonies of LGBT victims of discrimination in Lebanon.

It was the second year in a row that Proud Lebanon has cancelled a pro-tolerance event.

In 2016, it abandoned plans for an LGBT rights meeting with artists and journalists after coming under pressure from Christian religious authorities.

"The persecutions need to stop. Sexual tendencies are a private matter," said Makso.

While Lebanon is considered more tolerant of sexual diversity than other Arab countries, the police regularly raid gay bars and other LGBT-friendly spaces.

Homosexuals are often the target of jokes, including on television.

LGBT activists are pushing for changes to the Lebanese Penal Code, which currently allows courts to punish "unnatural" sexual relations with up to one year in prison.

Reports of policemen carrying out so-called "anal tests" to determine whether or not a man is gay have provoked outrage in the press and on social media.

In recent years, small progress has been made in the fight against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender thanks to civil society initiatives but also to several judges taking a stand.

Some judges have decided to acquit defendants on the basis that homosexuality was not "unnatural".

To mark IDAHO, a platform of human rights defenders and LGBT activists are holding a series of events in Beirut from Wednesday to Sunday to include film screenings, debates and testimonies.

"It's an unprecedented event in the Arab world," said Hadi Damien, founder of the Beirut Pride platform launched in August last year.

"We don't want to go down into the streets to provoke anyone. Our message is a peaceful message that denounces all discrimination," he said.

"We have to rise above labels. It's not because someone is different that it's OK to beat or humiliate them."

Yes, let us all be reminded again just how peaceful Islam is.

Omar Bin Khattab is one of history's gayest figures... FYI.

Jeez that lasted what half an hour lol

But anyway what kind of reaction did they expect from the crowd who deemed a coca cola billboard indecent enough to cause an uproar

What a raging hypocrite.

Are we sure its cancelled ?

LGBT Lebanon facebook group just posted about it:

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
no, what is important is to light, not to highlight, the suffering of people proportionally to the amount of attention they deserve. everybody suffers, and if you have learned one thing from decline of politics in the west is that special interest groups always achieve more than they are democratically entitled to, and this is at the expense of others.

there is no need to follow in that path because we know exactly where it leads to. this doesn't mean there is no problem, the problem is real, i just refuse to let it be represented out of proportion relatively to all the other problems we are facing as a people.

The reason this particular problem makes headlines is because of the outrage, it's not the other way around... It's because people get so pissed off and up in arms the moment some fraction of society asks for basic rights!

Why is no one protecting our children from sexual predators? Why is no one protecting our women from getting raped and having to marry their rapist? Why is no one protecting our homosexuals from being sent to jail just for being born that way? Well the last one is making progress!

Special interest groups are also part of our society, and they have righteous demands! We should not be so cynical about them!

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
No i do not. I just relied on the information mentioned in the article.
Anyways, the fact that you cast doubt on religious figures from Bkerki interfering in Helem's conference is enough to show that we're both in agreement - It would be wrong to pressure Helem to cancel their event. With that said, you are free to hold on to your beliefs and i respect your right to do so, in the privacy of your own home. :)

i do not advertise my sexual preferences in front of people's houses. do i? and i would rather people don't advertise theirs in front of mine, regardless of what these preferences are.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
The reason this particular problem makes headlines is because of the outrage, it's not the other way around... It's because people get so pissed off and up in arms the moment some fraction of society asks for basic rights!

Why is no one protecting our children from sexual predators? Why is no one protecting our women from getting raped and having to marry their rapist? Why is no one protecting our homosexuals from being sent to jail just for being born that way? Well the last one is making progress!

Special interest groups are also part of our society, and they have righteous demands! We should not be so cynical about them!

what on earth are you talking about?

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
Orange Room Supporter
you know, with 2 million syrian refugees, a huge proportion of the lebanese people under poverty line, the intellectual and cultural decline, people still dying at hospitals' entrances, no safety net for the elderly, the complete absence of civil marriage, etc.. i could care less whether how x y or z like to have sex,

so enough silliness.

La2 ma even those there are more pressing issues to take care of! Lmao