[Black Monday 9 March 2020] Stock Market crash - 2020

• Advertisement
  • NewLeb

NewLeb

Already 500+ points up. It turned out to be a minor pullback, certainly not a crash. Virus threat is officially over, folks.

291BC78B-7AFC-4793-A17E-770396A0BA2B.jpeg

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    Already 500+ points up. It turned out to be a minor pullback, certainly not a crash. Virus threat is officially over, folks.

View attachment 18727
    Not a stock market expert by any means I actually don't understand most of it, but it seems that all the top gains came before a crash. The biggest before this came before the 2008 recession and the great depression. Nothing to celebrate

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

Not a stock market expert by any means I actually don't understand most of it, but it seems that all the top gains came before a crash. The biggest before this came before the 2008 recession and the great depression. Nothing to celebrate
    It's ridiculous to be celebrating anything. S&P 500 is at 2530, it was at 3250 in January. That's a 730 point drop in less than 3 months (over 22%). As an indication, a 20% market drop from peak is officially a bear market and January was not even the peak. The peak was in Feb at 3380 so the drop is 860 point since then (above 25%)

NewLeb

NewLeb

The only reason for the recent pullback was the coronavirus threat. The 2+ trillion dollar stimulus that was announced today has assuaged a lot of investor fears. I assure you, this will be right back up to where it was before the drop, and will continue to rise upwards even further.

In other news, as I correctly predicted, we’re over 1200 points so far;

AD0A2944-8D23-4029-8A38-13417F72AEE2.jpeg

Attachments

Isabella

Isabella

The queen of "Bazella"
    Orange Room Supporter
    The only reason for the recent pullback was the coronavirus threat. The 2+ trillion dollar stimulus that was announced today has assuaged a lot of investor fears. I assure you, this will be right back up to where it was before the drop, and will continue to rise upwards even further.

In other news, as I correctly predicted, we’re over 1200 points so far;

View attachment 18736
    We'll remind each other on Thursday or next Monday 👀

NewLeb

NewLeb

20 minutes until market open. The job numbers aren’t really surprising, given the economical effects of corona. The premarket open isn’t looking that bad right now, but who knows which direction it’ll take;

FFB4A044-125A-48F6-855B-2E144AAD46D5.jpeg

L'arbalette

L'arbalette

We won’t be in a recession any time soon;

View attachment 18757
    Do you understand what a recession means? So all economists are saying that we will be in a recession and the only questions are 1) is it a recession or a depression and 2) how long it will last but you know better because the S&P rebounded from its lows? Can you even fathom the economic output lost in Q1? And can you imagine what will be lost in Q2 ?

NewLeb

NewLeb

Do you understand what a recession means? So all economists are saying that we will be in a recession and the only questions are 1) is it a recession or a depression and 2) how long it will last but you know better because the S&P rebounded from its lows? Can you even fathom the economic output lost in Q1? And can you imagine what will be lost in Q2 ?
    Of course we’re going to be in a recession, but not anytime soon. And the DOW/S&P did not just “rebound.” They hit a clear bottom, and are only going up now.

NewLeb

NewLeb

Trump will be signing the bill in 30 minutes. I’m expecting a green finish, but we’ll see. It’s been steadily rising since the morning;

46FE9694-7856-4A5E-B5E2-336ED7B41114.jpeg

Dynamite Joe

Dynamite Joe

Trump will be signing the bill in 30 minutes. I’m expecting a green finish, but we’ll see. It’s been steadily rising since the morning;

View attachment 18782
    The focus the past week has been on the stimulus package, thus the 3 day rally. Markets have been looking for relief and they finally got it. At some point, the focus will shift back to the virus itself which is out of control in the U.S. Uncertainty in the market remains at an all time high as reflected by the VIX which closed at 65. Once you see the VIX going below 40 and the dollar weakening, it will mean the stock market is in full rebound.

Key indicators to watch out for in the next week that will set the tone for April. Will new infections in China continue to dwindle or will they start spiking again. Moreover, will new infections in Europe begin to stabilise or drop in countries that have been in lockdown for over 3 weeks. If new infections in China begin spiking for more than a week, then we certainly haven't seen the bottom yet. If in places like Italy, France, Spain, Germany... new infections continue to rise, it will be problematic. Therefore, if you're active in the market, I'd say weigh on the side of caution and continue to buy the down days incrementally before going all in. On the flip side, only justification to sell now is if you need cash badly. Otherwise, you should be long on the market, particularly if you're holding companies with strong balance sheets.