Burj Hammoud Municipality Issues Official Documents in Armenian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
The Shi'a of Burj Hammoud are the indigenous people of Lebanon.
They cannot practice their civil and political rights in the Lebanese Parliament because they are Shi'a.
A Christian group of refugees arrived in Lebanon sometime during the early twentieth century from Armenia and was granted civil and political rights because they are Christian.
These Armenians refuse to learn the official language of Lebanon.

Their disrespect to the country and the people of Lebanon can be seen in their unilateral decision to use Armenian, which is a foreign language, without even deliberating or discussing this decision in Parliament.
Armenian is not understood by the Shi'a constituents of Burj Hammoud. They really had the audacity of issuing official documents with a government stamp in the Armenian language when are all Armenians speak Arabic, and not a single Lebanese speaks Armenian.
No police officer, parliament member, or citizen can read this document but it seems that the Armenian project is occupation.
The official language of Lebanon is Arabic and French, and Armenians can not change it without a discussion in the Parliament.

• Advertisement
  • AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Honestly, I don't see the big fuss.
    I think it's time we recognized Armenian as one of Lebanon's official languages.
    Armenians are an integral part of the Lebanese social fabric.

I have no problem with municipality documents being issued in both Arabic and Armenian.
    After all, Bourj Hammoud is a place where Armenians are the majority, and where public signage is bilingual.

In the Czech Republic, several municipalities have official bilingualism (Czech and Polish). Bilingual signs are permitted if a minority constitutes at least a 10% of the population of the municipality.
    Sweden has Swedish as its official language, but Finnish and Sami have a special status in the areas were speakers are significant minorities.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    The Shi'a of Burj Hammoud are the indigenous people of Lebanon.
    They cannot practice their civil and political rights in the Lebanese Parliament because they are Shi'a.
    Care to elaborate?

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Honestly, I don't see the big fuss.
    I think it's time we recognized Armenian as one of Lebanon's official languages.
    Armenians are an integral part of the Lebanese social fabric.

I have no problem with municipality documents being issued in both Arabic and Armenian.
    After all, Bourj Hammoud is a place where Armenians are the majority, and where public signage is bilingual.

In the Czech Republic, several municipalities have official bilingualism (Czech and Polish). Bilingual signs are permitted if a minority constitutes at least a 10% of the population of the municipality.
    Sweden has Swedish as its official language, but Finnish and Sami have a special status in the areas were speakers are significant minorities.
    I think you are wrong.
    The current official language of Lebanon is Arabic and French. This is the law.
    Lebanon is a democracy, and

a decision about making Armenian as a language should be a parliament decision and not a decision to be taken by the municipality.
    Language is an essential part of the state identity.
    Because of people like you we live in a country that lacks an identity.
    If the Armenians can make Armenian as the language then Hezbollah can also make Lebanon into an Islamic State, and the Syrians can come and occupy it, why are we pissed off at the Israelis then.

I personally prefer the Israeli occupation on changing the language to Armenian.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Care to elaborate?
    The Shi'a of Burj Hammoud must vote for an Armenian representative in Parliament because there is no Shi'a seat in Meten. So they can not object to the unilateral decision of using Armenian as the language of communication.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The indigenous Shia of Bourj Hammoud before Armenians came to occupy them. You're welcome.

Habibati ana men Burj Hammoud and my Ikhraj Qaid is only two digits.
    Thanks for the photo. But I speak not your picture.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

I think you are wrong.
    The current official language of Lebanon is Arabic and French. This is the law.
    Lebanon is a democracy, and

a decision about making Armenian as a language should be a parliament decision and not a decision to be taken by the municipality.
    Language is an essential part of the state identity.
    Because of people like you we live in a country that lacks an identity.
    If the Armenians can make Armenian as the language then Hezbollah can also make Lebanon into an Islamic State, and the Syrians can come and occupy it, why are we pissed off at the Israelis then.

I personally prefer the Israeli occupation on changing the language to Armenian.
    I think there's a Lebanese consensus that the Armenians are good hard-working people whose language and culture deserve some official recognition, in return for their contributions to the Lebanese society.

If anything we should discard Arabic as an official language. What good did Pan-Arabism do us?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Habibi ana men Burj Hammoud and my Ikhraj Qaid is only two digits.
    Thanks for the photo. I speak not your picture.
    My Ikhraj Qaid is only two digits kamen. My family was in Lebanon before Lebanon was declared a country. So don't mistake my reply to @Iron Maiden for a desire to dignify your preposterous claims with an actual conversation. The only thing this thread deserves is a good laugh.

Mrsrxmas

Mrsrxmas

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Habibati ana men Burj Hammoud and my Ikhraj Qaid is only two digits.
    Thanks for the photo. But I speak not your picture.
    ra2m el sejel is actually by confession so if you are the first from your confession in a region you will be #1. Have a friend who happens to be armenian woth #1 in an extremely dense city ...because they were the first armenian orthodox family there.
    it is not about who was there first. not an argument.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Two-digit sejjel here too. (But not from Burj Hammoud.) Indigenous people of Lebanon, let's unite!

O Brother

O Brother

Legendary Member
    WOW Beautiful place!!! Just imaging being in these fields at that beautiful time!

Could anyone give us a quick history lesson of Bourj Hammoud? What is the bourj and who is Hammoud? :oops:

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

ra2m el sejel is actually by confession so if you are the first from your confession in a region you will be #1. Have a friend who happens to be armenian woth #1 in an extremely dense city ...because they were the first armenian orthodox family there.
    it is not about who was there first. not an argument.
    Is the ra2m sejjel by town or kaza?

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

WOW Beautiful place!!! Just imaging being in these fields at that beautiful time!

Could anyone give us a quick history lesson of Bourj Hammoud? What is the bourj and who is Hammoud? :oops:
    تعود تسمية برج حمود الى حوالي 300 سنة حيث أن المنطقة كانت أصلاً منطقة زراعية بإمتياز. إن الأمير حمود أرسلان كان يملك مساحات كبيرة من الأراضي الزراعية فبنى المالك منزلاً له من طابقين فوقها علّية في أعلى نقطة من المنطقة، وكان يصعد الى سطح العلّية لمراقبة العمال المتواجدين في أملاكه. فشكل هذا المنزل العالي عن سطح الأرض برجاً بالنسبة للمنازل الزراعية المتواضعة المجاورة. فأخذت المنطقة تسمية "برج حمود".
    إن هذا المنزل ما زال قائماً بجوار كنيسة مار ضومط وأصبح بتملك وقف الكنيسة."

تعرف إلى برج حمود | Bourj Hammoud Municipality's official website

So it turns out it was owned by the Druze. I will make sure to check out Arslan's house next time I pass by Bourj Hammoud.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Bourj Hammoud is one of the biggest cities in the ME. It is densely populated with 2.5 km^2 and 150K people making it one of the most densely populated cities in the Middle East. The Armenians are a majority by far but the city also hosts christian from various sects and some shia like 2-3%

Status
    Not open for further replies.