Burj Hammoud Municipality Issues Official Documents in Armenian

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wdawle1

I personally prefer the Israeli occupation on changing the language to Armenian.

Thats quite the hate, dont expect anyone to sympathisize with your cause with such statements.
I see nothing wrong in use of Armenian language, In my work we use english language and here in forum we post in english.English is not official language either.More schools teach english in Lebanon then Armenian. There are universities teaching in English too.

Armenians should be taken care off, rather then read such dumb threads. They used to be bigger in numbers in 1970 - 1980s and faced lot of immigration.We are talking 25 - 30 years Armenians ceasing to exist in Lebanon.I dont blame them to immigrate with the presence of your likes.

• Advertisement
  • Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    WOW Beautiful place!!! Just imaging being in these fields at that beautiful time!

Could anyone give us a quick history lesson of Bourj Hammoud? What is the bourj and who is Hammoud? :oops:
    No one knows for sure.

S

Saj

Armenians are indigenous Lebanese. There is no such thing as Lebanese occupying fellow Lebanese.

In fact some of the Shia from Bourj Hammoud have returned in recent years. I don’t know a single Armenian complaining about them. The complaints are usually about Kurds who as we have seen have actually clashed with Bourj Hammoud’s natives.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

Those must be some remaining Shia who survived the Armenian colonization. They are speaking Arabic. Armenians can't speak Arabic.
    I think the shias live in nabaa?
    The majority like 70% are Armenian with some other christians sects with shia and kurds probably about 10%. You can advise if Im wrong.

S

Saj

As for the Shia in Nabaa/Bourj Hammoud not having representation who cares? They are represented by their Christian MPs. Why the Shia in this area should get an MP and the Christians of Ain Ebel and Rmeish and all around Bint Jbeil don’t get one? The only solution is having 300 mps and we don’t need to pay more useless people.

!Aoune32

!Aoune32

As for the Shia in Nabaa/Bourj Hammoud not having representation who cares? They are represented by their Christian MPs. Why the Shia in this area should get an MP and the Christians of Ain Ebel and Rmeish and all around Bint Jbeil don’t get one? The only solution is having 300 mps and we don’t need to pay more useless people.
    We want 20% of Bent Jbeil, 10% of Nabatiyeh and 10% of Sour.

Apostate

Apostate

Your will, my hands.
    Orange Room Supporter
    The Armenians are as Lebanese as every other Lebanese. They're all born and lived here their entire life, and that is what matters, and I don't see anything wrong in them preserving their native language.

opium

opium

The indigenous Shia of Bourj Hammoud before Armenians came to occupy them. You're welcome.

Off topic, but do you notice how much our country was deforested in all the old pictures? Our mountains were like deserts without any greenery.

What is the reason behind it? Did we use to pay woods in tax to the ottomans? Maybe moderators can open a new topic about this subject.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Thats quite the hate, dont expect anyone to sympathisize with your cause with such statements.
    I see nothing wrong in use of Armenian language, In my work we use english language and here in forum we post in english.English is not official language either.More schools teach english in Lebanon then Armenian. There are universities teaching in English too.

Armenians should be taken care off, rather then read such dumb threads. They used to be bigger in numbers in 1970 - 1980s and faced lot of immigration.We are talking 25 - 30 years Armenians ceasing to exist in Lebanon.I dont blame them to immigrate with the presence of your likes.

Goat is not hateful. Bas fi we7deh Armanieh sakkarit 3laya lyom so she decided to come on Oroom and vent off her anger.
    Halla2 bitrou2.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I love bourj Hammoud!
    Great food: mano, apo, sasoun, Falafel arax....
    Cheap clothes: chinese converse 10$ impossible to spot the fake from the real and from time to time work suits to ruin
    Cheap jewelry: No branding surtax as well as world renowned diamond cutters and gold artisans
    and almost everyone is a musicians learning an instrument or 2
    and the city living its own life from dora to jesr from sea (with exception of jabal el zbele) to sin el fil!

great authentic place where you can find anything from electronic components (transitors and resestance and to high end jewelry and clothing)!

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Off topic, but do you notice how much our country was deforested in all the old pictures? Our mountains were like deserts without any greenery.

What is the reason behind it? Did we use to pay woods in tax to the ottomans? Maybe moderators can open a new topic about this subject.
    I thinkit has more to do with picture quality than anything else.
    The trees right in front of the camera are barely showing let alone thise on the mountains.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I thank you all for keeping this discussion going while I was sleeping, didn't expect such a big surprise this morning.
    I like the change of the title into a subtle and unattractive title. But it speaks a lot about how bullying opposition is a culture that doesn't not only govern relations between the opressed and the opressor in Muslim Saudi Arabia but also the Christian Lebanese.
    It was also interesting to see that some bullying and notorious posts which certainly are off topic, racist, and vulgar were kept in the thread. I presume that this decision is due to the identity of the poster being Armenian and Christian.
    Now maybe we want to get back to the discussion.
    Armenians in Lebanon are immigrant's and they are not native to either the region or the country.
    In the case of Burj Hammoud, the area included before the war a large group of Lebanese Shi'a and also Palestinian refugees.
    The Armenians being Christian in a state founded upon exclusion of Muslims from political participation, were granted civil and political rights and citizenship to increase the population of Lebanon. The Jewish Must'arab who were native to Lebanon were given a choice of being stateless and leaving the country or convert. Even conversion did not grant those who chose to become Shi'a of Burj Hammoud Political rights.

The question is then how can a Shi'a citizen and resident of Burj Hammoud protest the Armenian opression of the Shi'a constituents of Burj Hammoud. This opression is evident in the disregard of their language by what appears to be a linguistic opression.

Armenian Municipality of Burj Hammoud is not only disregarding and disrespecting the Shi'a. It is disregarding and disrespecting the law of the Land, democracy, the Parliament and the Lebanese government by issuing official documents in a language not official.
    All Armenians have been living in Lebanon for over 75 years. They all speak the official language of Lebanon. Then this statement made by the disrespectful Armenian government of Burj Hammoud does not only impact the Shi'a of Burj Hammoud but the Lebanese identity, institutions and government as a totality.
    Can Armenians impose a foreign language over the Lebanese of Burj Hammoud under the pretext of cultural rights when the Shi'a of Burj Hammoud are denied of their civil and political rights as they must vote for the forign Christian and have no right to oppose the cultural invasion of a foreign culture. This is so because they are denied the right of political representation in Parliament because they are Shi'a.
    Racism, I read somewhere above, well yes this is racist, where the racist is calling the opressed racist if the opressed is demanding equality in civil and political rights.
    In the International Bill of Rights civil and political rights are the fundamental human rights and not cultural rights.
    This is to say that only when the Shi'a of Burj Hammoud are granted their civil and political rights that the Armenians can speak of language and cultural rights. Otherwise this can only be called an occupation.

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Two-digit sejjel here too. (But not from Burj Hammoud.) Indigenous people of Lebanon, let's unite!
    My ekhraj qayd is one digit that is < 2 . I suspect jidde abou sherwel afandi founded Lebanon after all.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    My great grandfather was Jewish and my grandmother too so I really can't remember when did they make it to Lebanon or to Burj Hammoud, but I am lucky to have inherited part of the building my grandfather let behind.
    But now that I can see how discriminatory and disrespectful are Armenians towards the people of the country that welcomed them I am also seeing their hypocritical and lowly manners.
    Certainly as a Canadian you may well know the relationship between language and identity, and just like Chinese will not become one of the official languages of Canada, so wouldn't Armenian become one of the official languages of Lebanon.
    Your grandparents are Jewish? So you can relocate to Israehell as a ShiJew,? Or a Jewia? (Shia+Jew).

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    Me too I have, but they don't speak Armenian. They speak Arabic.
    This thread is about the use of the Armenian language as an official language. This while knowing that my brother in law is of Armenian origin. His family arrived in Lebanon in the late ninteenth century, they however became assimilated by removing the Yan and converting to Catholic.

I wrote this post and regardless to my family blood line, again this is about language, identity, and democracy.
    Oh my God! Why not become the UN Secretary General? Shia+Jew+Armenia+Catholic?/

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    In the usa some towns issue decrees in spanish, in france some towns issue decrees in breton, in spain u’ll find basque, as much as i am against it i get why its done, people should be aware about rules even if we hav to write in another language
    What would Lebanese Christians and Lebanese Armenians say and how would they react if some Sunnis issue official government documents in Turkish? There are many Lebanese of Turkish origin.

Lebmonage

Lebmonage

Legendary Member
    I thank you all for keeping this discussion going while I was sleeping, didn't expect such a big surprise this morning.
    I like the change of the title into a subtle and unattractive title. But it speaks a lot about how bullying opposition is a culture that doesn't not only govern relations between the opressed and the opressor in Muslim Saudi Arabia but also the Christian Lebanese.
    It was also interesting to see that some bullying and notorious posts which certainly are off topic, racist, and vulgar were kept in the thread. I presume that this decision is due to the identity of the poster being Armenian and Christian.
    Now maybe we want to get back to the discussion.
    Armenians in Lebanon are immigrant's and they are not native to either the region or the country.
    In the case of Burj Hammoud, the area included before the war a large group of Lebanese Shi'a and also Palestinian refugees.
    The Armenians being Christian in a state founded upon exclusion of Muslims from political participation, were granted civil and political rights and citizenship to increase the population of Lebanon. The Jewish Must'arab who were native to Lebanon were given a choice of being stateless and leaving the country or convert. Even conversion did not grant those who chose to become Shi'a of Burj Hammoud Political rights.

The question is then how can a Shi'a citizen and resident of Burj Hammoud protest the Armenian opression of the Shi'a constituents of Burj Hammoud. This opression is evident in the disregard of their language by what appears to be a linguistic opression.

Armenian Municipality of Burj Hammoud is not only disregarding and disrespecting the Shi'a. It is disregarding and disrespecting the law of the Land, democracy, the Parliament and the Lebanese government by issuing official documents in a language not official.
    All Armenians have been living in Lebanon for over 75 years. They all speak the official language of Lebanon. Then this statement made by the disrespectful Armenian government of Burj Hammoud does not only impact the Shi'a of Burj Hammoud but the Lebanese identity, institutions and government as a totality.
    Can Armenians impose a foreign language over the Lebanese of Burj Hammoud under the pretext of cultural rights when the Shi'a of Burj Hammoud are denied of their civil and political rights as they must vote for the forign Christian and have no right to oppose the cultural invasion of a foreign culture. This is so because they are denied the right of political representation in Parliament because they are Shi'a.
    Racism, I read somewhere above, well yes this is racist, where the racist is calling the opressed racist if the opressed is demanding equality in civil and political rights.
    In the International Bill of Rights civil and political rights are the fundamental human rights and not cultural rights.
    This is to say that only when the Shi'a of Burj Hammoud are granted their civil and political rights that the Armenians can speak of language and cultural rights. Otherwise this can only be called an occupation.
    Actually, I think instead of crying over Armenian being included as a govt or official language, it is best you campaign for the inclusion of Hebrew or the reviving of Aramaic, since you claim Jewish heritage and are proud of it. Your grandparents, as you claim, became Shia by choice because they didn't want to be stateless. So both Arabic and Shia Islam were adopted by your family. You shouldn't find any problem, either adopting Armenian language or orthodox Christianity. You're cultural fluid. You can swing any way!

On a serious note, the problem of minority communities being present everywhere and the small geographic size of Lebanon are reasons for having a modern and fair electoral law that will see Lebanon become a one electoral district with proportional representation (one man=one vote anywhere in Lebanon). It is enough upholding racist and sectarian laws (electoral or otherwise) that will see Lebanese citizens become alien or voiceless in their own country. If a Shia in Burj Hammoud has to vote for an Armenia, it should be based on choice and not law imposing on him. Similarly, if a Shia in Tyre district (the bedrock of Amal/HA constituents) want to vote for a Sunni MP in Tripoli, or a Maronite in Batroun or a Shia in Jbeil or a Druze in Chouf, he should be able to. The parliament is a reflection of all of Lebanon. Politics and elections should be competitive, transparent and fair. Not sectarian, divisive and crooked. The MPs represent the nation. And I should be able, as Lebanese, to vote for any other Lebanese contesting for a political office. That simple but hard for our greedy and divisive politician warlords to accept and implement.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Your grandparents are Jewish? So you can relocate to Israehell as a ShiJew,? Or a Jewia? (Shia+Jew).
    Absolutely not, my cousins who stayed in Nazareth in 1948 were transformed into Israeli Arabs eventhough they are Metwali meaning of Hebrew origin, because my father's uncle was married to a Muslim. Israelis only see Arab and Jew. I'm not an Arab period.

Status
    Not open for further replies.