Burj Hammoud Municipality Issues Official Documents in Armenian

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Advertisement
  • Genius

Genius

Legendary Member
    thank you for this thread. How pleasant.

At last, she took a break from her wrath on maronites.

Thank you Armenians :)

Someone can guess which minority will be next?

loubnaniTO

loubnaniTO

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Super Penguin
    it is a sad day when we start classifying the Lebanese as "indigenous vs. immigrants", when they are all LEBANESE! I don't think the constitution that we are using to defend the use of an "official language" distinguishes between Lebanese people by classifying them as class A or B! If our "values" are threatened by a group of people, don't give them citizenship, but once you do, accept them as equals. And let's all keep in mind, most of us are not necessarily "original indigenous people of Lebanon", just run a DNA test.. many of us (regardless of whether you're muslim or christian) came from the arabian peninsula, others from Mesopotamia, while others were the fruits of European crusaders. It is really sad to start classifying who is more Lebanese than the other. How can we expect our country to heal and draw the respect of others when we cannot respect each other?

Laws are made to SERVE the people, not to RULE the people.

If some Lebanese from Armenian ancestry prefer to communicate in Armenian, what's the harm? As long as the communication is in both languages so that everyone can understand it. I believe this is a municipal communication, a municipality that was elected by its constituents, not by occupiers or a foreign country. TV stations are attracting viewers by broadcasting news in Armenian, why?
    I don't think the new generation of armenians do not speak arabic, i think it is more concentrated in the older generation. This is the case in every society where you have different ethnicities, and the older generation are used to communicating in their own language. I might not agree with this and prefer that people integrate better, but i will respect diversity and would not make a big issue from it.

And i don't understand linking this to Chiaa rights? what does this have to do with that??? If you think the chiaa are disadvantaged, call for their rights to be represented, instead of fighting to rid others of a service they might be getting.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The Armenian community of Lebanon would like to officially thank the members of this forum for their kind words.

They apologize for relaying this message in the language of European occupiers. They assure you that there are no current plans to turn Bourj Hammoud into Little England.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Maybe, maybe not. The issue is irrelevant because it doesn't matter whether one is indigenous or not; what's infinitely more important is having the Lebanese ID.

I suspect there are indigenous Lebanese who cannot practice their civic duties, but that would be because they lack Lebanese ID (for one reason or another) and not because of their indigenous status.

False. Shiites can vote for Christian MPs. Lebanese law doesn't specify that each sect votes for its own representatives. Thst is what the Orthodox law proposed.

Nonsense.
    Armenians learn Arabic in school too. Why are you advocating Arabizing/colonizing them?

Nothing disrespectful in using Armenian on official documents, and it needs no parliamentary deliberation as it is a local issue (Lebanon's lack of decentralization and federalism make this latter point open for debate).

I am going to take a guess here and claim Burj Hammoud Municipality also issues documents in Arabic.

PS, make up your mind. Armenians can either refuse to learn the language of Lebanon, or they can all speak Arabic. It can't be both.

Armenian police officers, parliament members, and citizens can read this document.
    It is intended for Armenian citizens.

Indeed, the official language of Lebanon is Arabic (thanks to Arab colonization), and no one -- let alone Armenians -- are seeking to change it.

Issuing documents in a foreign language doesn't change official language of the country. California has over 10 languages that you can request documents in. Most are issued in English and Spanish.

Too many squigglies. Is that your problem with Armenian?
    Thanks for the long post but since you are not Lebanese then you have no opinion on the matter.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    you never miss an opportunity to drive a wedge between Lebanese factions and turn them against each other wherever and whenever you can. one day you are from nabatiyeh lecturing on differences between the mtewle and the shi3a, the next you are from karantina accusing the armenians of occupation. one day you claim to be jewish, the next you claim to be shiite, the next god knows what.

why on earth do you find it to be so offensive that armenians use their own language in their publications? you spend your days attacking anyone who questions the diversity of canada. but when that diversity manifests itself in Lebanon it becomes an armenian occupation; despite the fact that these armenians have been in Lebanon for more than a century now, while the foot steps you left in the snow when you first arrived to canada have not melted yet.

so in canada it is a symbol of encouraged diversity and rich multiculturalism, but in Lebanon it is an armenian occupation.

is it not an interesting observation that you never miss an opportunity to set Lebanese factions against each other? there are entire neighborhoods in the US and canada were people live for generations without speaking any english or french. there are even locations named after foreign countries. how would you take it if the armenians pushed for the name "little armenia" instead of burj hammoud as is the case with "chinatowns" in canada or "little china" and "little italy" in new york and elsewhere?

armenians are model citizens, they pay their taxes, contribute to the economy, they keep to their business, they contribute to the effective diversity of Lebanon all while preserving their culture. you ought to learn from them. this is what multiculturalism is about, it is not about destroying one particular host civilization but rather about enriching the whole.
    I can see that you know nothing about Canada's history and the issue of language and identity in our Constitutional history. But as usual you must speak even when you don't know the facts.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    There is no need to add Armenian as an official language. Armenians in Lebanon learn and use their language, along with Arabic, French, and English. That is enough.

Don't be bothered by this troll thread. Just laugh it off.
    At least we understand how Turks felt about the Armenians, but in Lebanon you came as refugees from the Turkish massacre to disrespect the people of the land that welcomed you.
    Now, get the point you []. Lebanon will not speak Armenian, without a Parliament decision, and while I understand that refugees like Armenians and Kurds speak forign languages, the only way they will get the right to use their language is when the confessional system of government is abolished and they become a Lebanese ethnic minority of refugees from Armenia. We then should also recognize the language of the Kurds who are also Lebanese.
    At that stage Armenians will have to accept being equal citizens to Lebanese Muslim and Kurdish citizens in a state that grants equality to citizens and not to Christian refugees.
    Muslim and Shi'a Lebanese are citizens of Lebanon and we can read everywhere on this Forum how much hate you project against them.
    Seemingly you found a place in Canada, but certainly even in Canada you failed to learn some of the Canadian values of democracy, and you find it as a convenient place to spread hate rather than coexistence.
    ET go home.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The truth is that you have no idea who Muki is. He can be your neighbour and you wouldnt know.
    في حاجز جيش تحت البيت قولك بيكون

@Muki

على الحاجز.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Great strawman!

But i’ll indulge you, do these sunnis also practice turkish culture on a daily basis?
    I have a friend of hreek origin, but his daily life does nothing related with greek culture .
    I am of yemenite origin, i don't ask to build mastabas in honor of his higness king Dhammar.

Point being, armenians preserved their cultural ties, just like bretons did in france and they shouldnt be chastitised for it.
    How could someone start a discussion about Armenian cultural rights in a state that doesn't recognize citizenship as the foundational relationship between government and citizens.
    Let us become all Lebanese citizens who equally have rights.
    Armenians became citizens because they are Christian not because they are Armenian. We have hundreds of thousands of Palestinian refugees who are technically Lebanese and are denied the right to citizenship because they are Muslim. We all know that Palestinians who are Christian became citizens.
    Armenians must make up their minds about what is their culture, the culture that they claimed to become citizens was Christian and not ethnic.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Sorry but you have no clue of Lebanon history. There is a small portion of Shiaa in Bourj Hammoud but they came in thr 60's, we are talking few hundreds so dont make a big case out of nothing

Armenians are part of the Lebanese fabric and we should add Armenian as an official language
    Armenians brought a lot to Lebanon and if people like you continue to treat then as foreigners then soon there would be no Armenians left in Lebanon and you will start seeing Syrians and Kurds instead. Well done!
    You seem not to know Lebanese history.
    100,000 Lebanese Muslims mostly Shi'a were threatened by ehnic cleansing to leave from Meten during the first two years of the civil war. This is to make the space for the Armenians. See Helena Cobban The Making of Modern Lebanon as a source and there are many other sources that speak about identity killings in East Beirut during 7arb El Sentien.

The Shi'a of Burj Hammoud were brutality pushed out where thousands changed their Sejel Nofous to South Lebanon during the civil war.
    There are some 5000 Shi'a today in Burj Hammoud constituting approximately 25% of the population of Burj Hammoud.

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    thank you for this thread. How pleasant.

At last, she took a break from her wrath on maronites.

Thank you Armenians :)

Someone can guess which minority will be next?
    You make me laugh, can you please show me where is the Jewish minority of Lebanon or whether they are capable of living a decent life in Lebanon and participating in government. This is speaking about minorities, and what about the Kurds do they have any representation?

Christians including Armenians have 50% of Parliament seats and they are only one third of the population. This is in addition to their disrespect to the majority of the Muslim population of the country.
    This will change.

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    Ok I will answer to his post.
    Don't bother.
    I won't waste my time discussing anything with anyone who ranks people's opinions on the basis of their national origin as opposed to the merit of their content.

Thank you for saving me time that can be spent doing something better.

W

wdawle1

How could someone start a discussion about Armenian cultural rights in a state that doesn't recognize citizenship as the foundational relationship between government and citizens.
    Armenians became citizens because they are Christian not because they are Armenian. We have hundreds of thousands of Palestinian refugees who are technically Lebanese and are denied the right to citizenship because they are Muslim. We all know that Palestinians who are Christian became citizens.
    Armenians must make up their minds about what is their culture, the culture that they claimed to become citizens was Christian and not ethnic.
    Armenians represent no threat to Lebanon, they gave to Lebanon more then anyone else gave.Check what their numbers were, and what their numbers are now. We are speaking about like 20,000 armenian being left in lebanon.Not comparable at all to palestinians, who number like 600,000 and caused problems more then any good.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    No dear goat, armenians became citizens like every other populace living within the borders of lebanon when it was proclaimed a state.
    You’re overreaching quite a bit there ;)

Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Don't bother.
    I won't waste my time discussing anything with anyone who ranks people's opinions on the basis of their national origin as opposed to the merit of their content.

Thank you for saving me time that can be spent doing something better.
    But I saw no merit in your content either, I just didn't want to embarrass you.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

You seem not to know Lebanese history.
    100,000 Lebanese Muslims mostly Shi'a were threatened by ehnic cleansing to leave from Meten during the first two years of the civil war. This is to make the space for the Armenians. See Helena Cobban The Making of Modern Lebanon as a source and there are many other sources that speak about identity killings in East Beirut during 7arb El Sentien.

The Shi'a of Burj Hammoud were brutality pushed out where thousands changed their Sejel Nofous to South Lebanon during the civil war.
    There are some 5000 Shi'a today in Burj Hammoud constituting approximately 25% of the population of Burj Hammoud.
    Bourj Hammoud is not 20k. It is more. I think Bourj is like 100K. It is one of the biggest cities with population density in the ME.

Status
    Not open for further replies.