• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Canadian woman says she was tricked into marriage of convenience by a Lebanese guy

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
Calgary woman says she was tricked into marriage of convenience
Immigration lawyer says sponsorship program needs changes to prevent similar situations

Hilwea Sleiman says she never thought she would become one of those women who got duped by a man from back home, but the 24-year-old Calgarian says love clouded her judgment.

Sleiman and Omar Hendous had been legally married in Lebanon, allowing Sleiman, a Canadian citizen, to sponsor Hendous to come to Canada as a permanent resident.

The woman said she started getting a funny feeling three days after the love of her life arrived in Calgary from Lebanon.

She says Hendous wouldn't unpack his bags and then took off to Edmonton to see his brother.

"I was hoping I was wrong," Sleiman tells CBC News. "That he wasn't just here to be in the land of opportunity."

Sleiman says she gave Hendous the benefit of the doubt.

But when he returned to pick up his suitcases and look for permanent work in Edmonton, she felt she'd been had.

"I was one of the girls that used to say, 'Oh my God, I am never going to marry anyone from back home because they all want my green card, right?' That's every girl you might talk to, is going to say that.

"And then I don't know what changed my mind. I trusted him — I trusted him a lot. He seemed different."

Allegations denied
Hendous denies the allegations.

His lawyer, Eric Shawar, says Sleiman was the one who changed her mind after Hendous arrived in January 2015.

"There was a legitimate marriage between them and ... he's trying to work things out with her," Shawar said.

"What I think is going on here, is that she is just trying to escape her responsibilities as a sponsor."

Sleiman says the two met in Lebanon in 2011 while she was there attending a cousin's wedding. Their relationship continued to grow while they were living apart and by 2014 they decided to get married.

She returned to Lebanon, where according to cultural traditions, marriage is at least a two-step process.

The first part — a Nikah Kitab or Katb Al-Kitab — is a marriage contract, meaning Sleiman and Hendous were legally married.

The second part of the wedding and the consummation of the relationship was to happen in Calgary once he arrived, but Sleiman says Hendous left town before that happened.

Hoping to make an example
Now she's seeking an annulment, and what she calls justice.

"I'm hoping if he gets deported back, he would be an example for every guy or girl back home who thinks of doing this."

The federal government's sponsorship program has a two-year conditional period. The law states a couple must live together for two years or the sponsored spouse's status could be revoked.

But Citizenship and Immigration Canada relies on complaints to launch an investigation.

Sleiman says she filed a complaint in March 2015 and received a file number but has not heard back from the department.
The Liberal government is considering removing the two-year probationary period.

Immigration lawyer Michael Greene says he's heard many similar stories, and it's been happening since the sponsorship program began. But he believes there may be a way to help prevent it from happening in the future.

"If Canada were to take the position 'You are not coming here until we see the second ceremony,' then people wouldn't be able to get out of it so easily," Greene says.

Court fight
Greene says if Sleiman receives an annulment, Hendous could face deportation.

But Hendous's lawyer plans to fight the accusations in court. He's already filed a statement of defence.

"We are saying the marriage did exist, they consummated the marriage, but obviously she is doing this to get [him] out of Canada," says Shawar.

Sleiman says she knows of two other women this has happened to, but who were too embarrassed to fight, so she's speaking out to warn others about the dangers of falling in love with someone from back home

Source: Calgary woman says she was tricked into marriage of convenience - Calgary - CBC News

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Calgary woman says she was tricked into marriage of convenience
Immigration lawyer says sponsorship program needs changes to prevent similar situations

Hilwea Sleiman says she never thought she would become one of those women who got duped by a man from back home, but the 24-year-old Calgarian says love clouded her judgment.

Sleiman and Omar Hendous had been legally married in Lebanon, allowing Sleiman, a Canadian citizen, to sponsor Hendous to come to Canada as a permanent resident.

The woman said she started getting a funny feeling three days after the love of her life arrived in Calgary from Lebanon.

She says Hendous wouldn't unpack his bags and then took off to Edmonton to see his brother.

"I was hoping I was wrong," Sleiman tells CBC News. "That he wasn't just here to be in the land of opportunity."

Sleiman says she gave Hendous the benefit of the doubt.

But when he returned to pick up his suitcases and look for permanent work in Edmonton, she felt she'd been had.

"I was one of the girls that used to say, 'Oh my God, I am never going to marry anyone from back home because they all want my green card, right?' That's every girl you might talk to, is going to say that.

"And then I don't know what changed my mind. I trusted him — I trusted him a lot. He seemed different."

Allegations denied
Hendous denies the allegations.

His lawyer, Eric Shawar, says Sleiman was the one who changed her mind after Hendous arrived in January 2015.

"There was a legitimate marriage between them and ... he's trying to work things out with her," Shawar said.

"What I think is going on here, is that she is just trying to escape her responsibilities as a sponsor."

Sleiman says the two met in Lebanon in 2011 while she was there attending a cousin's wedding. Their relationship continued to grow while they were living apart and by 2014 they decided to get married.

She returned to Lebanon, where according to cultural traditions, marriage is at least a two-step process.

The first part — a Nikah Kitab or Katb Al-Kitab — is a marriage contract, meaning Sleiman and Hendous were legally married.

The second part of the wedding and the consummation of the relationship was to happen in Calgary once he arrived, but Sleiman says Hendous left town before that happened.

Hoping to make an example
Now she's seeking an annulment, and what she calls justice.

"I'm hoping if he gets deported back, he would be an example for every guy or girl back home who thinks of doing this."

The federal government's sponsorship program has a two-year conditional period. The law states a couple must live together for two years or the sponsored spouse's status could be revoked.

But Citizenship and Immigration Canada relies on complaints to launch an investigation.

Sleiman says she filed a complaint in March 2015 and received a file number but has not heard back from the department.
The Liberal government is considering removing the two-year probationary period.

Immigration lawyer Michael Greene says he's heard many similar stories, and it's been happening since the sponsorship program began. But he believes there may be a way to help prevent it from happening in the future.

"If Canada were to take the position 'You are not coming here until we see the second ceremony,' then people wouldn't be able to get out of it so easily," Greene says.

Court fight
Greene says if Sleiman receives an annulment, Hendous could face deportation.

But Hendous's lawyer plans to fight the accusations in court. He's already filed a statement of defence.

"We are saying the marriage did exist, they consummated the marriage, but obviously she is doing this to get [him] out of Canada," says Shawar.

Sleiman says she knows of two other women this has happened to, but who were too embarrassed to fight, so she's speaking out to warn others about the dangers of falling in love with someone from back home

Source: Calgary woman says she was tricked into marriage of convenience - Calgary - CBC News

Look at this other specimen we have here, after the child abductor. He gets married, arrives in Canada, and leaves his new wife less than a week later...and wants to convince us that it was a "real" marriage.

Not all Lebanese men are dirty, but the ones who are...there is nothing filthier on earth.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
In before the misogynist crowd. Getting popcorn ready for their hilarious "arguments" to come.

I will share with @eLad and @Jo

Dirty Dragon

Don't think anyone will defend this guy or have reason to doubt that there is more to the story than what is stated; guy using the girl for citizenship.

Sorry @Jo, there is no controversy here :p;)

Reactions: Jo

Hameed

In before the misogynist crowd. Getting popcorn ready for their hilarious "arguments" to come.

Aywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa now I get it sett Indie ... personal wou public forum wou ossass !! ahaaaaa mashi !! ready your popcorn !!! ... Someone please direct these bunch of self illusionists Olympus residents lunatics and their Canadian friend to this movie

Hameed

so the *****es produce the movie, Lebanese apply it in real life, then the *****es crusaders complain about being TRICKED !! .... TRICKED !!! OH !! dear Lebanese Muslim Man !! you are in Canada !! a Canadian Woman has the right to go onslaught with her feminist rights and when you give her the finger she suddenly remembers her womanhood and start whining about being tricked !!

Dear Canadian Woman please understand that when you marry an Arab Muslim you become the wife of a Muslim ... and if he takes a trip with you to the Church rest assured he's trying to contain your idiocracy and play along

Thank you for your understanding :D

Danny Z

Legendary Member
Don't think anyone will defend this guy or have reason to doubt that there is more to the story than what is stated; guy using the girl for citizenship.

Sorry @Jo, there is no controversy here :p;)

It doesn't stop her from being an idiot, I have know similar people who got tricked by Cubans, I even know of a friend corporate director who went to Cuba on vacation for a week and fell in love with this Cuban guy twice her size in muscles and half her age, she was sure it was love so she bought hi home lived with him for two years and he found a job as a security guard at night, until this one day a woman from Montreal texts her on Facebook to ask her to remove the pictures of her husband from her Facebook page, apparently he was actually getting some sleep and sex and by the day when she was working he was living no sleeping...To make a story short, the law was created because stupid women like this allowed crooks to use it and she didn't even know until he had already become a citizen for a while.

JustLeb

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

I support you in this case (see I am not biased like you :p).
Apparently he's an a$$hole one of those guys who think he is 7arbou2, m2ata3 w mwassal...
Actually that's the problem of marriages that are done before really knowing each other.

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I support you in this case (see I am not biased like you :p).
Apparently he's an a$$hole one of those guys who think he is 7arbou2, m2ata3 w mwassal...
Actually that's the problem of marriages that are done before really knowing each other.

Support me? This story has nothing to do with me.

And repeating that I'm biased does not actually make me biased, no matter how many times you repeat it. You think I'm biased, I think you're the biased one. What's the point of bringing up such weak and silly "arguments?" Maybe you have too much time to waste...

JustLeb

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
Support me? This story has nothing to do with me.

And repeating that I'm biased does not actually make me biased, no matter how many times you repeat it. You think I'm biased, I think you're the biased one. What's the point of bringing up such weak and silly "arguments?" Maybe you have too much time to waste...

This is the problem of smart phones. You can post wherever you are, even in the metro.

You find it silly argument if I agree with you and support your opinion in this case??

I find it on the contrary that this is a proof that I am not biased. It's not like all men are good all women are bad or vice versa..

فاقتضى التوضيح

:D

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
This is the problem of smart phones. You can post wherever you are, even in the metro.

You find it silly argument if I agree with you and support your opinion in this case??

I find it on the contrary that this is a proof that I am not biased. It's not like all men are good all women are bad or vice versa..

فاقتضى التوضيح

:D

There is no opinion here. No one in their right mind would believe this guy.

When it comes to things that really matter, you don't agree with me. Which is perfectly fine and you're entitled to your opinion. But don't sit there (on your metro seat) and claim that I'm biased and you're not, as if you saying so is enough to make it true.

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
Orange Room Supporter
I will just put this in here. Watch and discuss in an uncivilized matter. Thanks.

haahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahhhaahahaahhahahahahahahaha ****ing hell that was funny :D:D:D:D

abt the subject of this thread umm people need to learn how to use the internet and not trust som random dude especially if they are a nigerian prince or a lebanese guy who wants to marry you.

FFS man internetz is hard stuff!!

الحج موكي

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
haahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahhhaahahaahhahahahahahahaha ****ing hell that was funny :D:D:D:D

abt the subject of this thread umm people need to learn how to use the internet and not trust som random dude especially if they are a nigerian prince or a lebanese guy who wants to marry you.

FFS man internetz is hard stuff!!

Hmm? Are you saying I don't have a fortune in a Nigerian bank? What.

Jorje

Legendary Member
2al JustLeb unbiased ahahahahah. Man, that's funny. Almost made my day (yes, it was boring). I'll just file under a case of terrible lack of self-insight.

Last edited:

Jorje

Legendary Member
It doesn't stop her from being an idiot, I have know similar people who got tricked by Cubans, I even know of a friend corporate director who went to Cuba on vacation for a week and fell in love with this Cuban guy twice her size in muscles and half her age, she was sure it was love so she bought hi home lived with him for two years and he found a job as a security guard at night, until this one day a woman from Montreal texts her on Facebook to ask her to remove the pictures of her husband from her Facebook page, apparently he was actually getting some sleep and sex and by the day when she was working he was living no sleeping...To make a story short, the law was created because stupid women like this allowed crooks to use it and she didn't even know until he had already become a citizen for a while.

I'm seeing a pattern here. Women are either dumb or hysteric.

They were in a relationship for 3 years before they married. That doesn't make her necessarily dumb. It does make him a psychopath though.

Dalzi

Legendary Member
Love w sormeyte sawa. She went and got a loser from Lebanon. Use your heads and find decent honourable proud and successful men to date or stay single for life. This is not uncommon. You have many sick losers in this world who have no conscience and can live with manipulating others and hurting them. However, Karma is always a *****. He will get slapped hard.