Car accidents in 2018

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

The Daily Star

BEIRUT: Traffic accidents in 2018 claimed the lives of some 450 people in Lebanon, and upward of 5,000 accidents occurred. Although official numbers from the Internal Security Forces are not yet available, preliminary police data compiled by YASA International, a road safety organization, found that from 434 to 464 people died in a total of 5,262 accidents. From 5,570 to 6,924 more individuals suffered injuries in accidents throughout the year.

Meanwhile, the Internal Security Forces issued 341,748 speeding tickets. And Joe Daccache, YASA’s vice president, said that the preliminary number of casualties is probably low.
“We can easily add another 20 percent on top of” the yearly figures, he said, noting that a discrepancy often arises among the data published by the various organizations that respond to traffic accidents, including the ISF, the Lebanese Red Cross as well as Islamic foundations operating in rural areas.
Daccache said this discrepancy is due to the lack of a centralized recording system in Lebanon, in addition to administrative errors.
Ziad Akel, who founded YASA, told The Daily Star: “While according to international norms we must record all deaths that occur during the 30 days [after crash dates], hundreds of people die during that time span and go unrecorded.”
The deadliest month in 2018 was August, when 52 deaths were recorded. In fact, the three summer months of June, July and August nearly always see a spike in traffic-related deaths, which Daccache attributed to the return of expats, university vacations and, of course, the peak of Lebanon’s party season.
He also said traffic accidents are the No. 1 killer of Lebanese people aged 17-27, and that “distracted driving” is overtaking drunk driving as the primary cause of road accidents, as more and more people use their cellphone at the wheel.
On the last night of 2018, the Red Cross reported two deaths and 50 injuries from about 35 car accidents, in addition to 23 incidences of drunk driving.
Secretary-General Georges Kettaneh told LBCI Tuesday that the casualties surrounding New Year’s were lower than they were last year, when 60 people had been injured.
On the evening of Dec. 31, the Internal Security Forces issued 1,532 speeding tickets, while on New Year’s Day it recorded 1,519 speeding violations.

• Advertisement
  • mrsrx

mrsrx

Newish Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The Daily Star

BEIRUT: Traffic accidents in 2018 claimed the lives of some 450 people in Lebanon, and upward of 5,000 accidents occurred. Although official numbers from the Internal Security Forces are not yet available, preliminary police data compiled by YASA International, a road safety organization, found that from 434 to 464 people died in a total of 5,262 accidents. From 5,570 to 6,924 more individuals suffered injuries in accidents throughout the year.

Meanwhile, the Internal Security Forces issued 341,748 speeding tickets. And Joe Daccache, YASA’s vice president, said that the preliminary number of casualties is probably low.
    “We can easily add another 20 percent on top of” the yearly figures, he said, noting that a discrepancy often arises among the data published by the various organizations that respond to traffic accidents, including the ISF, the Lebanese Red Cross as well as Islamic foundations operating in rural areas.
    Daccache said this discrepancy is due to the lack of a centralized recording system in Lebanon, in addition to administrative errors.
    Ziad Akel, who founded YASA, told The Daily Star: “While according to international norms we must record all deaths that occur during the 30 days [after crash dates], hundreds of people die during that time span and go unrecorded.”
    The deadliest month in 2018 was August, when 52 deaths were recorded. In fact, the three summer months of June, July and August nearly always see a spike in traffic-related deaths, which Daccache attributed to the return of expats, university vacations and, of course, the peak of Lebanon’s party season.
    He also said traffic accidents are the No. 1 killer of Lebanese people aged 17-27, and that “distracted driving” is overtaking drunk driving as the primary cause of road accidents, as more and more people use their cellphone at the wheel.
    On the last night of 2018, the Red Cross reported two deaths and 50 injuries from about 35 car accidents, in addition to 23 incidences of drunk driving.
    Secretary-General Georges Kettaneh told LBCI Tuesday that the casualties surrounding New Year’s were lower than they were last year, when 60 people had been injured.
    On the evening of Dec. 31, the Internal Security Forces issued 1,532 speeding tickets, while on New Year’s Day it recorded 1,519 speeding violations.
    Where were we in 2017?2016? are the numbers on the rise or trending well?
    we have no reference if 450 is high or low (1 is already high enough)

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    These are the numbers I have: (taken from Kunhadi website - which in turn claim that they are from the ISF)

2018: 3,320 accident, 4,384 injuries and 362 death
    2017: 3,472 accident, 4,602 injuries and 477 death
    2016: 3,277 accident, 4,450 injuries and 443 death
    2015: 4,287 accident, 5,458 injuries and 576 death
    if i recall correctly, the ISF data does not take into account the people who are transported alive to the hospital but do not manage to make it. the ISF data only lists the casualties who are dead on the scene of the accident.

the statistics are also wrong on the kunhadi website. 362 fatalities in 2018 compared to 477 fatalities in 2017 does not amount to a drop of 4%; but rather a 25% drop in fatalities.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    if i recall correctly, the ISF data does not take into account the people who are transported alive to the hospital but do not manage to make it. the ISF data only lists the casualties who are dead on the scene of the accident.
    True that.

But in all cases, it gives us an idea on the trend

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    True that.

But in all cases, it gives us an idea on the trend
    not sure about how accurate this is, but a car insurance representative i know told me that there was an increase of 70% in car accidents in the last 5 years, mainly due to syrian drivers, in particular on scooters and motorcycles.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    not sure about how accurate this is, but a car insurance representative i know told me that there was an increase of 70% in car accidents in the last 5 years, mainly due to syrian drivers, in particular on scooters and motorcycles.
    Everything these days is being blamed on the Syrians. I find that a bit extreme. Bass jesmon labbis lal jame3a

mikeys71

mikeys71

Many accidents go unreported.

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I think 450 traffic death/year is fake news. It's an extremely low traffic death rate for a country like Lebanon. In reality, it's probably at least five times higher and so is the number of accidents. You only need to look at the roads and vehicles quality and maintenance and add to that the average driver's non-existent traffic safety awareness and unpredictability.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    I think 450 traffic death/year is fake news. It's an extremely low traffic death rate for a country like Lebanon. In reality, it's probably at least five times higher and so is the number of accidents. You only need to look at the roads and vehicles quality and maintenance and add to that the average driver's non-existent traffic safety awareness and unpredictability.
    As it was reported earlier, the numbers are those who are reported dead on site, not including those who die in the hospital. So indeed the number could easily be 3-4 times higher

D

Deleted member 73465

Everything these days is being blamed on the Syrians. I find that a bit extreme. Bass jesmon labbis lal jame3a
    No mate. U can notice a difference in the driving. It is like they drive in a toy car.

D

Deleted member 73465

Regardless of statistics, the roads are not enlighten at all. And whatsup light is inside the car in the driver hands. And people I must say are becmong more stressed: they bypass u in the light speed just to see them again in 2 mins.