Christian guy marries veiled Shia Muslim woman in Church

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice Tea

Ice Tea

I personally know of one case where a Christian guy married a Shia woman. But what is really surprising in this one is that the woman is a hijabi, so she probably comes from a very conservative family.

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Btw how was the marriage even possible? I know Muslim men can marry women regardless of their religion, but Christian men can't marry non-baptized women. Some Churches are even stricter, like the Orthodox Church, where a Catholic woman must be baptized again to marry an Orthodox men.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Wtf is your problem with this?? A man married a woman how dare he 🙄!

I didn`t say I have a problem. I actually find it refreshing when Muslim women marry non-Muslims. My only surprise is that she wears hijab and the Church allowed the marriage.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    I didn`t say I have a problem. I actually find it refreshing when Muslim women marry non-Muslims. My only surprise is that she wears hijab and the Church allowed the marriage.
    How is the hijab or a woman using a headscarf contrary to church or biblical teachings?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

How is the hijab or a woman using a headscarf contrary to church or biblical teachings?

It`s not about the veil, but Christian men can`t marry non-baptized women in Church. It`s against the religion, just like it is against Islam for Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men. The Catholic Church allows men to marry Christian women of all denominations, but not non-Christians. While in the Orthodox Church, the non-Orthodox Christian woman who wishes to marry an Orthodox man needs to be baptized again.

Rafidi

Rafidi

Legendary Member
    It`s not about the veil, but Christian men can`t marry non-baptized women in Church. It`s against the religion, just like it is against Islam for Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men. The Catholic Church allows men to marry Christian women of all denominations, but not non-Christians. While in the Orthodox Church, the non-Orthodox Christian woman who wishes to marry an Orthodox man needs to be baptized again.
    That is your headache. You may pay the couple a visit and find out from them.

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Staff member
    I just want to chime in with something. A woman wearing the hijab does not immediately make her or her family "very conservative". I know many "hijabis" who are quite liberal.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't think the Church should allow anyone to get married in a hijab, considering what this headwear represents in terms of patriarchal oppression and gender inequality. Very bad move in my opinion. Jesus wouldn't have approved of something like this, because he sees both men and women as equal.

cedarheart

cedarheart

Not true.
    The church doesn't ban Christian men from marrying women of other religions or atheists.
    The only thing the church would require is that the bride promise to never prevent her husband from practicing his religions.
    How do I know?
    Personal experience. I got married in church and my wife was never baptized. Have friends also married to non Christians.

There are exceptions where some priests and bishops refuse to celebrate the marriage but that remains exception cases and personal opinion and not the rule.

When we were planning our wedding we considered doing the ceremony in Lebanon. We asked my parents" local parish there, the answer came back that the Bishop wants 10000USD to give his permission for a "mixed marriage"
    I then asked my parish in Montreal (same domination as the one in Lebanon and follows the same patriarchy), the priest said no problem at all, didn't ask for a penny nor permission. He only asked me to promise that if we have kids we will baptize them.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Not true.
    The church doesn't ban Christian men from marrying women of other religions or atheists.
    The only thing the church would require is that the bride promise to never prevent her husband from practicing his religions.
    How do I know?
    Personal experience. I got married in church and my wife was never baptized. Have friends also married to non Christians.

There are exceptions where some priests and bishops refuse to celebrate the marriage but that remains exception cases and personal opinion and not the rule.

When we were planning our wedding we considered doing the ceremony in Lebanon. We asked my parents" local parish there, the answer came back that the Bishop wants 10000USD to give his permission for a "mixed marriage"
    I then asked my parish in Montreal (same domination as the one in Lebanon and follows the same patriarchy), the priest said no problem at all, didn't ask for a penny nor permission. He only asked me to promise that if we have kids we will baptize them.

Well, I only know one case where a Muslim woman married a Christian, which I stated in the op. And I'm pretty sure she actually converted.

I think it depends on the priest, Catholic priests tend to be more 'modern'. But theoretically speaking, both persons should be baptized to be able to get married.

Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard

@Ice Tea

If you may recall, you have claimed there are no Christians left in the South. Where did this Maronite boy come from to Rmeish?
    There was also a same marriage in Tibnin too (back in 2017)

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I don't like these stupid theatrics and fake examples of religious coexistence. Christianity is Christianity and Islam is Islam.
    Christians believe Mohamed is a false prophet, and Muslims deny Jesus' claim to be the son of God.
    If a Christian wants to marry someone from the evil cult, they should get a civil marriage.
    But for a Christian man to walk his hijabi wife down the aisle is just wrong. Very wrong and contradicts everything Christianity stands for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.