Christians, how 'mixed' are you and your family?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

First of all, when I say 'mixed' I don't mean in the literal sense, all Lebanese Christians are part of one genetic family being equally the native inhabitants of these lands.

But when Lebanon was founded, Maronites saw themselves a bit above other Christians and that's why the Maronite patriarch was enraged that the first president of the mandate was Greek Orthodox, and some lands in southern Syria were not included into Greater Lebanon due to the Christian population being Orthodox.

That has long changed and in the 50's Christians already saw themselves as one. It's a fact that ever since Christians shared the same culture and have seen themselves as one, and the only thing that divides us nowadays is political affiliation and that has nothing with sect denomination per se.

So that's why I'm curious, I know most Christians in Mount Lebanon, Zahle and the South tend to marry other Christians of different sects, while the northerners, both Maronites and Orthodox, probably due to isolation, tend to marry only within their sect. But I'm sure they also wouldn't have problem in marrying other Christians if they moved to other Christian areas.

What about you? How many Christian sects are included in your family? I'm for example, despite being raised Latin Catholic, 50% Orthodox (both grandmothers), 25% Maronite (Mother) and 25% Melkite (father). In my extended family there are also Armenians and Syriacs, and my future sister-in-law is a Chaldean from Iraq.

• Advertisement
  • Aoune32!

Aoune32!

all orthodox except my wife who is maronite. first person in 3 generations to go outside the norm lol

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

@damascus as a Syrian Christian, I'd like your input here hbb. How's the relation between Assyrians and Roums in Syria?

Dynamis

Dynamis

Orange Room Supporter
    First of all, when I say 'mixed' I don't mean in the literal sense, all Lebanese Christians are part of one genetic family being equally the native inhabitants of these lands.

But when Lebanon was founded, Maronites saw themselves a bit above other Christians and that's why the Maronite patriarch was enraged that the first president of the mandate was Greek Orthodox, and some lands in southern Syria were not included into Greater Lebanon due to the Christian population being Orthodox.

That has long changed and in the 50's Christians already saw themselves as one. It's a fact that ever since Christians shared the same culture and have seen themselves as one, and the only thing that divides us nowadays is political affiliation and that has nothing with sect denomination per se.

So that's why I'm curious, I know most Christians in Mount Lebanon, Zahle and the South tend to marry other Christians of different sects, while the northerners, both Maronites and Orthodox, probably due to isolation, tend to marry only within their sect. But I'm sure they also wouldn't have problem in marrying other Christians if they moved to other Christian areas.

What about you? How many Christian sects are included in your family? I'm for example, despite being raised Latin Catholic, 50% Orthodox (both grandmothers), 25% Maronite (Mother) and 25% Melkite (father). In my extended family there are also Armenians and Syriacs, and my future sister-in-law is a Chaldean from Iraq.
    Good thread.

My family has Christians from Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, and present-day Turkey.

Christians across the entire Levant have almost identical habits, and customs. Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, and Syrian Christians are almost identical in their habits, and customs. Even the Christians of Iskandaron, are almost identical to other Levantine Christians despite Turkish occupation.