Christians, who do you feel closest to?

As Christians, who do you feel closest to?

• Total voters
Ice Tea

Ice Tea

I'm creating this thread for research purposes, please vote honestly.

As Lebanese Christians, who do you have the greatest affinity (culture, values, lifestyle) with?

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Multiple-choice poll added. Please only Christians vote!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I feel closest to people who are kind, who I enjoy spending time with, and who I can trust: that includes Westerners, Afghans, and everything in between.

I don't feel "close" to people easily. Just because someone is Armenian or Lebanese, it doesn't mean they can be in my bubble.

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm lucky to have many people in my life who I consider close, and I'm also lucky to have quite a few who are Muslim or Druze. Getting to know them and growing up with them helped me gain a lot of perspective during my late teens and early twenties. It helped me realize that people are different, but that that difference is something to be celebrated and not feared. It helped me understand how different people living wildly different lives can still come together, coexist and learn from each other.

It helped me avoid becoming close-minded, fearful and angry. It helped me gain understanding and compassion. I go to Saida or Sour and I see friends there. I go to Tripoli and I see family there. I go to the Bekaa and I feel like I'm home.

I'm not voting in your embarassment of a poll, and I encourage everybody else not to as well. People like you are hateful and pathetic, and I'm not feeding your agenda. If it were up to me, there would be no place in Lebanon for people like you, until you change your way of thinking.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

I'm lucky to have many people in my life who I consider close, and I'm also lucky to have quite a few who are Muslim or Druze. Getting to know them and growing up with them helped me gain a lot of perspective during my late teens and early twenties. It helped me realize that people are different, but that that difference is something to be celebrated and not feared. It helped me understand how different people living wildly different lives can still come together, coexist and learn from each other.

It helped me avoid becoming close-minded, fearful and angry. It helped me gain understanding and compassion. I go to Saida or Sour and I see friends there. I go to Tripoli and I see family there. I go to the Bekaa and I feel like I'm home.

I'm not voting in your embarassment of a poll, and I encourage everybody else not to as well. People like you are hateful and pathetic, and I'm not feeding your agenda. If it were up to me, there would be no place in Lebanon for people like you, until you change your way of thinking.
    These feel-good self-indulging posts have no relevance whatsoever. Everyone knows there are good people from all sects, the question is how many are there from all sects that truly want to live together and if given the choice would choose similar and common paths and goals for the country. The answer is not much.

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Orange Room Supporter
    These feel-good self-indulging posts have no relevance whatsoever. Everyone knows there are good people from all sects, the question is how many are there from all sects that truly want to live together and if given the choice would choose similar and common paths and goals for the country. The answer is not much.
    My "irrelevant" post is more relevant to your question than that idiotic poll. And as someone living in this country, I strongly disagree that the answer is "not much".

People want to live together, and in most places already do.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

My "irrelevant" post is more relevant to your question than that idiotic poll. And as someone living in this country, I strongly disagree that the answer is "not much".

People want to live together, and in most places already do.
    You can put people who speak the same language and share the same nationality together and they will coexit for some time. But if their version of their country differs so starkly, it is inevitable that at some point politics will get in the way and civil war becomes inexorable. There's a pattern to this since a millennia. W hayde excluding the big elephant in the room, birth rates, regional aid to some sects in the millions of dollars, and concerted land buying.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    I'm creating this thread for research purposes, please vote honestly.

As Lebanese Christians, who do you have the greatest affinity (culture, values, lifestyle) with?
    You are missing "Lebanese Christians" from your poll options. I think fundamentally this is the community Lebanese Christians feel closest to.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

You are missing "Lebanese Christians" from your poll options. I think fundamentally this is the community Lebanese Christians feel closest to.
    That goes without saying. I mean other than other Lebanese Christians.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

I feel closest to people who are kind, who I enjoy spending time with, and who I can trust: that includes Westerners, Afghans, and everything in between.

I don't feel "close" to people easily. Just because someone is Armenian or Lebanese, it doesn't mean they can be in my bubble.
    Indie dear, you seem to be a really sweet and kind person and indeed a devout Christian, but I have to be blunt with you: that doesn't work with Muslims.

I'm saying this thinking about you and the people who love you. You have to be extremely careful and cautious, please. That Muslims as a whole hate all Christians is no secret, but they nourish an even DEEPER hatred towards Oriental Christians, and unfortunately Armenians are among the most hated ones.

According to their perverted minds, Armenians 'won'. Even despite the genocide, and the fact that modern-day Armenia is less than 1/10th of historical Armenia, Armenians still have a country. And that's unacceptable for them, they think Armenians should be living like the old Ottoman days or like modern Middle Eastern Christians.

I was horrified when an ex-Muslim Lebanese told me all of those things, and that 'reconquering' Yerevan is a top priority for the Ummah. He told me all the Muslims he knows think exactly like that. So this is why I'm telling you this, you have to be careful for you and your loved ones.

Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Nuclear War Expert
    Orange Room Supporter
    You can put people who speak the same language and share the same nationality together and they will coexit for some time. But if their version of their country differs so starkly, it is inevitable that at some point politics will get in the way and civil war becomes inexorable. There's a pattern to this since a millennia. W hayde excluding the big elephant in the room, birth rates, regional aid to some sects in the millions of dollars, and concerted land buying.
    What makes you so sure that your vision for your country differs so much from theirs, to the point where civil war (!) becomes inevitable for you? What makes you convinced that the difference is purely reliant on religion, rather than a complex mix of culture and ideals like any other political divide in the world? Muslims in Lebanon and Christians in Lebanon all want the same primary things: prosperity, security, happiness. Everything else is just politics, like anywhere else, and thus inherently negotiable. I agree with a lot of Muslims on how I see my country. I disagree with a lot of Christians, too.

Or do you believe that the big bad Muslim Ba3ba3 is coming to convert or kill you to go to heaven? In that case, you tell me who's being more irrational here.

We go to the same schools, work the same jobs, go out together, share the same hopes and fears, and, in the case of the FPM at least, vote for the same parties. You're telling me we can't build a country together?

MELF

MELF

Orange Room Supporter
    What makes you so sure that your vision for your country differs so much from theirs, to the point where civil war (!) becomes inevitable for you? What makes you convinced that the difference is purely reliant on religion, rather than a complex mix of culture and ideals like any other political divide in the world? Muslims in Lebanon and Christians in Lebanon all want the same primary things: prosperity, security, happiness. Everything else is just politics, like anywhere else, and thus inherently negotiable. I agree with a lot of Muslims on how I see my country. I disagree with a lot of Christians, too.

Or do you believe that the big bad Muslim Ba3ba3 is coming to convert or kill you to go to heaven? In that case, you tell me who's being more irrational here.

We go to the same schools, work the same jobs, go out together, share the same hopes and fears, and, in the case of the FPM at least, vote for the same parties. You're telling me we can't build a country together?
    Because everyone in the country is tribal and individual ideals and struggles do not matter (or, I should say, do not play a role in determining political choices for majority of the electorate).

The political class could not unite together to solve the trash crisis -- you have lots of hope in them working together to do much of anything besides stealing.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Did you forget the 500k Lebanese Muslims who marched into Christian suburbs chanting 'DEATH TO CHRISTIANS' during the Mohammed cartoon incident?

There you go, that's your AVERAGE Lebanese Muslim.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

I forgot to add Greece and Russia to the poll. Can any mod add them, please?

Jorje

Jorje

Legendary Member
    Ice Tea obviously isn't past the infantile developmental stage in which he attributes to everyone else (whom he thinks are similar) what he feels. In this case, being a big ole anti-Muslim bigot.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Ice Tea obviously isn't past the infantile developmental stage in which he attributes to everyone else (whom he thinks are similar) what he feels. In this case, being a big ole anti-Muslim bigot.

Funny, but all the Christians who voted, chose either 'other Levantine Christians' or 'other/none of the above' and probably feel close only to Lebanese Christians. NONE feels close to Lebanese Muslims.