• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Clash of values?

Salome

I would like to quote a post from another thread as a starting point for this topic. It gives me always hope to see such comments as well and not just anti-west propaganda sometimes equalling to wahhabi standards.

It's a beauty contest and she was evaluated based on beauty only (and perhaps answering a couple of questions). You are free to consider whichever criterion you want to evaluate women.

In the west they have 20,000,000 times more criteria to evaluate women than in the degenerate backward-moving societies we live in, including if she is just a good housewife.

If you tried instead to evaluate women in terms of:

1. Education achievements: come check the number of women with PhDs and masters' degrees here - and also come see what they achieve career-wise.

2. Independence and responsibility: come check out the huge effort people exert here to pay for one's tuition at university and expenses by working an honest job while they're students.

3. Voluntary community service in their own countries and abroad (without stupid consideration to the religion of the people they're helping or their political affiliation) Heck I've even seen many use their own money for paying their own expenses to go help others during tragedies or even during times of peace and calm, come check how many Canadian girls are going to Africa to help and teach people during their summer breaks. And they're not rich I can assure you.

4. Moral standards, which cannot be narrowed to the tiny spectrum of behavioral patterns you're probably thinking of given your answer.

5. And this could go on forever.....

then I'm sure you'll be very sad to realize that on average most women in the west deserve the highest degree of respect there is. Sure there are exceptions everywhere, but it's not otherwise in our degenerate societies or communities.

It's my turn to generalize now: those black and white generalizations such as the MP's response above generally shows a severe lack of education and understanding of how the human-world ("bled el bashar" in arabic- without stressing on the "sh") works. So bi sharafak, [] :msnzip:

Keep saying whatever you want about the West. The truth is that no matter how imperfect the West is in your eyes (nothing is perfect btw), the vast majority of your own constituents and others are killing themselves to flee the **** societies you and others (whether they're your political opponents or allies) have created, and go to the West where they could realize their true potential, improve as human beings, and serve a greater purpose to humanity. Oh and I forgot to be treated equally and have alllllllllllllllmost equal opportunity, even from the first generation of migrants.

You pointed out in your post another view of values which are rather characteristic in liberal democracies, thus in most of the western countries.

Most of these values are contradictory to the traditionial societies of the ME, yet as you said too how many of the youth leave their home countries and seek a better future in the west rather, where they know they will live in liberal societies.

Most of them seemingly also seek integration into the new society, but isn't there a clash of values which is hard to overcome? Could the host country affect them to the point that they will change their core values to more liberal ones, thus as indicated in the quoted post they could become more individualist?

Especially how it is affecting women and their recognition by their own community as equal partners and not maintaining a reduced traditional role?

I know if their situation would allow the influx would be even bigger to the west from the ME countries.....but some are just entrapped in their societies in their traditional roles and cannot leave their country.

shadow1

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I like this thrad . It's one of those that quickly become a bitter competition without an agreed judge on which values are good and which are bad.

I wish there was more contribution so we can see if anyone's mind can ever be changed about something one has been brought up with.

Salome

I like this thrad . It's one of those that quickly become a bitter competition without an agreed judge on which values are good and which are bad.

I wish there was more contribution so we can see if anyone's mind can ever be changed about something one has been brought up with.

It is not about bad or good values....it is about more being traditional or liberal, and how someone coming from a traditional society can or is willing to adapt to a new environment

However I do hope there is an agreement on bad habits/traditions at least: for example the oppression of women in many ME countries