Climate Change Is Killing the Cedars of Lebanon

Picasso

Picasso

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter

Anne Barnard, the New York Times Beirut bureau chief for the past six years, and Josh Haner, a Times photographer, went to Lebanon's cedar forests to see how the trees are today.

BAROUK CEDAR FOREST, LEBANON — Walking among the cedars on a mountain slope in Lebanon feels like visiting the territory of primeval beings. Some of the oldest trees have been here for more than 1,000 years, spreading their uniquely horizontal branches like outstretched arms and sending their roots deep into the craggy limestone. They flourish on the moisture and cool temperatures that make this ecosystem unusual in the Middle East, with mountaintops that snare the clouds floating in from the Mediterranean Sea and gleam with winter snow.

More...

• Advertisement
  • Nonan

Nonan

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

Anne Barnard, the New York Times Beirut bureau chief for the past six years, and Josh Haner, a Times photographer, went to Lebanon's cedar forests to see how the trees are today.

BAROUK CEDAR FOREST, LEBANON — Walking among the cedars on a mountain slope in Lebanon feels like visiting the territory of primeval beings. Some of the oldest trees have been here for more than 1,000 years, spreading their uniquely horizontal branches like outstretched arms and sending their roots deep into the craggy limestone. They flourish on the moisture and cool temperatures that make this ecosystem unusual in the Middle East, with mountaintops that snare the clouds floating in from the Mediterranean Sea and gleam with winter snow.

More...
    It’s so sad...

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This is horrible...at least some that we exported will survive from the same strain!

sorry but i cant help it....we are going to become austria!
    1532088811027.png

D

dripstraws

This is so depressing. I feel so sad whenever I hear stories like this. I hope the government address this as soon as possible.