Cost of US wars since 9/11?

AL_JAMES

AL_JAMES

AT least $3.7 trillion, study finds
224,000 people have died directly from warfare and 7.8 million people have been displaced
2001 to 2008 - 511 Soldiers died under G.W. Bush.
2009 to present - 975 Soldiers died under obama.

When President Barack Obama cited cost as a reason to bring troops home from Afghanistan, he referred to a $1 trillion price tag for America's wars.
Staggering as it is, that figure grossly underestimates the total cost of wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan to the U.S. Treasury and ignores more imposing costs yet to come, according to a study released Wednesday.
The final bill will reach at least $3.7 trillion and could be as high as $4.4 trillion, according to the research project "Costs of War" by Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies.
In the 10 years since U.S. troops went into Afghanistan to root out the al-Qaida leaders behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, spending on the conflicts totaled $2.3 trillion to $2.7 trillion.
Those numbers will continue to soar when considering often overlooked costs such as long-term obligations to wounded veterans and projected war spending from 2012 through 2020.
The estimates do not include at least $1 trillion more in interest payments coming due and many billions more in expenses that cannot be counted, according to the study.
In human terms, 224,000 to 258,000 people have died directly from warfare, including 125,000 civilians in Iraq.
Many more have died indirectly, from the loss of clean drinking water, healthcare, and nutrition. An additional 365,000 have been wounded and 7.8 million people — equal to the combined population of Connecticut and Kentucky — have been displaced.
"Costs of War" brought together more than 20 academics to uncover the expense of war in lives and dollars, a daunting task given the inconsistent recording of lives lost and what the report called opaque and sloppy accounting by the U.S. Congress and the Pentagon.
The report underlines the extent to which war will continue to stretch the U.S. federal budget, which is already on an unsustainable course due to an aging American population and skyrocketing healthcare costs.
It also raises the question of what the United States gained from its multi-trillion-dollar investment.
"I hope that when we look back, whenever this ends, something very good has come out of it," Senator Bob Corker, a Republican from Tennessee, told Reuters in Washington.In one sense, the report measures the cost of 9/11, the American shorthand for the events of Sept. 11, 2001.
Nineteen hijackers plus other al-Qaida plotters spent an estimated $400,000 to $500,000 on the plane attacks that killed 2,995 people and caused $50 billion to $100 billion in economic damages.
the last 13 years when i start working i paid about $73 k in my income tax returns and $62400 in property taxes and i paid sales tax 6% for every none food item i bought all of it used in this not necessary war

• Advertisement
  • proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    AT least $3.7 trillion, study finds
    224,000 people have died directly from warfare and 7.8 million people have been displaced
    2001 to 2008 - 511 Soldiers died under G.W. Bush.
    2009 to present - 975 Soldiers died under obama.
    "2001 to 2008 - 511 Soldiers died under G.W. Bush"

I suspect you only counting US casualties in Afghanistan.

If so even in this case it is improper comparison.

Main attention was payed to Iraq and until success of the Surge Afghanistan was remaining on the back burner.

Now that Afghanistan became much more active front hence drastic increase in casualties.

Comparing Bush's Afghanistan action with that of Obama's is like comparing apples and oranges.

For the same token you may say that between 2003 and 2008 under Bush there were 4000+ US military deaths while since 2009, under Obama, practically none.

That will be just as much of a spin as the one you offered above.

AL_JAMES

AL_JAMES

"2001 to 2008 - 511 Soldiers died under G.W. Bush"

I suspect you only counting US casualties in Afghanistan.

If so even in this case it is improper comparison.

Main attention was payed to Iraq and until success of the Surge Afghanistan was remaining on the back burner.

Now that Afghanistan became much more active front hence drastic increase in casualties.

Comparing Bush's Afghanistan action with that of Obama's is like comparing apples and oranges.

For the same token you may say that between 2003 and 2008 under Bush there were 4000+ US military deaths while since 2009, under Obama, practically none.

That will be just as much of a spin as the one you offered above.
    well all these numbers about casualties came from the article i read my concern was the money i paid and used for this unnecessary war

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    well all these numbers about casualties came from the article i read my concern was the money i paid and used for this unnecessary war

"well all these numbers about casualties came from the article i read" - Then perhaps you should question the article's veracity instead of unquestionably trusting it.

"unnecessary war" - I do not know which war you are referring to, but in any case I do not think you have enough information to pass this kind of judgement.

AL_JAMES

AL_JAMES

"well all these numbers about casualties came from the article i read" - Then perhaps you should question the article's veracity instead of unquestionably trusting it.

"unnecessary war" - I do not know which war you are referring to, but in any case I do not think you have enough information to pass this kind of judgement.
    i left questioning all the articles to smarty Zionist like you
    again mr smarty read the article you will know the wars and
    all America wars are unnecessary wars

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    i left questioning all the articles to smarty Zionist like you
    again mr smarty read the article you will know the wars and
    all America wars are unnecessary wars
    OK, if you are saying that all wars are unnecessary wars then I will not argue.

Just remember this next time you will decide to provoke Israel.

AL_JAMES

AL_JAMES

OK, if you are saying that all wars are unnecessary wars then I will not argue.

Just remember this next time you will decide to provoke Israel.
    did any Arab country once provoked Israel ?
    of course not
    usually Israel provoke the Arab countries
    but the next time you guys provoke Lebanon
    i will move to north Israel ?
    the Lebanese people will teach a lesson you will never forget

AL_JAMES

AL_JAMES

Constantly. In fact Israel hasn't started a single war.
    what facts you are talking about ?
    stealing lands ?
    killing women and children ?
    occupying villages ?
    burning churches and mosques ?
    destroying houses ?
    Israel commits every second a reason to start a war

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member
    Like when are you going to realize that we are too well informed and educated for the garbled mess that you call facts to pass?

Like seriously, you have been repeating the same things on these forums for well over 3 years now. Haven't you had enough using the same tape recorder time and time again?

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Like when are you going to realize that we are too well informed and educated for the garbled mess that you call facts to pass?

Like seriously, you have been repeating the same things on these forums for well over 3 years now. Haven't you had enough using the same tape recorder time and time again?
    First of all, more than 3 years.

Second, none of you bothered to expose how big of a liar I am.

Third, "when are you going to realize that we are too well informed and educated for the garbled mess that you call facts" is not exactly valid argument and neither is this - "Haven't you had enough using the same tape recorder time and time again?".

I think it is time for you to get serious and show everybody my true nature.

BTW, on average half of my posts are removed so you should not have problem while working me over.

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Makes less sense to talk about starting a war when you actually are in a steady state of war since inception. No? Which gets us back to the classic but futile chicken-egg question: Who started first? Logically speaking it should be he who came in second, not he who was here first. Sounds logical to you or what?

Only by existing.
    Do you mean to say that Israel simply managed to materialize from void, and thus came into existence, after which the Arabs started hating and fighting it?.. I see, there exist many ways to translate the bible.

What ever.
    mm.

AL_JAMES

AL_JAMES

Third, "when are you going to realize that we are too well informed and educated for the garbled mess that you call facts" is not exactly valid argument and neither is this - "Haven't you had enough using the same tape recorder time and time again?".

BTW, on average half of my posts are removed so you should not have problem while working me over.
    the only thing is true in your post that you are a member more than three years

Frisbeetarian

Frisbeetarian

Legendary Member

Lies? I wouldn't maybe use that term, but "deluded" comes to mind, "grossly misinformed" as well. Ouh "sardonically irrelevant"! You like that one?

I think it is quite the valid argument tyvm.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    Lies? I wouldn't maybe use that term, but "deluded" comes to mind, "grossly misinformed" as well. Ouh "sardonically irrelevant"! You like that one?

I think it is quite the valid argument tyvm.
    OK, call it what you will.

Here is my claim - despite you all accusing Israel of being an aggressor Israel has not started a single war.

Show me where I am wrong.

J. Abizeid

J. Abizeid

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/world/asia/07helmand.html

August 6, 2011

Airstrike Reportedly Kills Civilians in Southern Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan — A woman and seven young children were killed in southern Afghanistan when a coalition patrol called in an airstrike against insurgents firing on them from a mud compound, Afghan officials said Saturday. NATO said it was investigating the attack.
    Habibullah Shamlani, the governor of Nad-Ali, the district in Helmand Province where the attack occurred, said the NATO foot patrol came under fire Friday from the compound. One soldier was killed, and an Afghan interpreter was wounded. The home belonged to Mullah Abdul Hadi, 50, a local imam who Afghan officials say was helping the Taliban. He was killed along with one of his two wives and his seven children, all younger than 7 years old, Mr. Shamlani said.
    “People from the area said the imam was involved in making I.E.D.’s,” or improvised explosive devices, Mr. Shamlani said. “We found three hand grenades in his house.”
    NATO would not confirm whether any civilians were killed. But in a statement it said that “shortly following the engagement, coalition forces received reports that civilians were being held captive by the insurgents and may have been present during the airstrike.”
    A coalition team was meeting with local leaders to investigate, the statement said.
    The first six months of this year have been the deadliest period for civilians since the beginning of the war, with nearly 1,462 deaths through the end of June, according to the United Nations. Insurgents were responsible for 80 percent of the casualties, up 28 percent from the same period in 2010, the United Nations said. NATO forces accounted for 14 percent, a decline of nine percentage points. Six percent were unattributed.
    While Taliban forces are responsible for most civilian deaths, popular outrage is often reserved for NATO troops when they cause such casualties. In May, a NATO airstrike that killed 14 civilians, most of them women and children, in Helmand Province led to widespread denunciations among Afghan residents and officials. President Hamid Karzai warned that if such attacks did not stop, NATO’s presence would “change from a force that is fighting against terrorism to a force that is fighting against the people of Afghanistan.”
    “And in that case, history shows what Afghans do with trespassers and with occupiers,” he added.
    But reaction to Friday’s airstrike had so far been muted, perhaps because of the imam’s suspected ties to the Taliban.