Credit card fraud

A

Applepie

Hey guys, I moved to France in the beginning of September. I have always been careful about my privacy, data and the likes.

I brought with me a credit card denominated in Euros from Bank Audi that I was using all the time here in France.

I never lost my card, never gave it to anyone (I use it myself to pay contactless) and never used it to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Two days ago, I was relaxing at my apartment when I receive the usual text message from Bank Audi when you make a transaction.

My card was billed 400 Euros and my card is still in my wallet. Usually, you can see the name of the store/location for each transaction but it was a name of a random person, probably a fake one in France.

I am wondering how all of this is possible? I think most likely it was used online because there is a pin for all transactions above 30 Euros for POS.

But even online I have the MasterCard 3D secure enabled.

I tend to overthink a lot so I would like to know if anyone know how this works and how this is possible. Obviously, I called Bank Audi and blocked it immediately. I should get my money back but am I at risk of identity theft or possibly more fraud when it comes to other cards?

• Advertisement
  • Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Hey guys, I moved to France in the beginning of September. I have always been careful about my privacy, data and the likes.

I brought with me a credit card denominated in Euros from Bank Audi that I was using all the time here in France.

I never lost my card, never gave it to anyone (I use it myself to pay contactless) and never used it to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Two days ago, I was relaxing at my apartment when I receive the usual text message from Bank Audi when you make a transaction.

My card was billed 400 Euros and my card is still in my wallet. Usually, you can see the name of the store/location for each transaction but it was a name of a random person, probably a fake one in France.

I am wondering how all of this is possible? I think most likely it was used online because there is a pin for all transactions above 30 Euros for POS.

I tend to overthink a lot so I would like to know if anyone know how this works and how this is possible. Obviously, I called Bank Audi and blocked it immediately. I should get my money back but am I at risk of identity theft or possibly more fraud when it comes to other cards?
    First of all open an account in a french bank it will be very useful here.
    Second check where you paid since you arrived all the doubtful places online and offline such as ratp for navigo they give you an option to write down your payment on a piece of paper which should be avoided at all costs (a friend opted for it and got it stolen). Ask your bank to whom it was sent (and of course how virement or card) and stalk online a bit see where they work to see if they can be linked to payment you did. Google a bit if there was a compromised website (like ticketmaster) a few months ago...
    And most importantly just as you did cancel and renew the card and keep an eye on your account.
    That is what i would do.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member

if you want to carry a contactless card you need to get an appropriate shielded wallet to go with it.

Contactless card fraud overtakes cheque scams for first time

A

Applepie

First of all open an account in a french bank it will be very useful here.
    Second check where you paid since you arrived all the doubtful places online and offline such as ratp for navigo they give you an option to write down your payment on a piece of paper which should be avoided at all costs (a friend opted for it and got it stolen). Ask your bank to whom it was sent (and of course how virement or card) and stalk online a bit see where they work to see if they can be linked to payment you did. Google a bit if there was a compromised website (like ticketmaster) a few months ago...
    And most importantly just as you did cancel and renew the card and keep an eye on your account.
    That is what i would do.
    I already have a French bank account but I prefer to use Audi's credit card for everyday transactions since I get an instant SMS and it's a credit card not a debit card which are generally safer.
    Already did most of the above, stalked the name that showed up on the fraudulent transaction, even got his phone number and tried to call him but he didn't answer even though he was online on whatsapp lol ...
    But I am really surprised on how it was done exactly which is terrifying. Having your card on you all the time and being careful and having all the security measures, and still some guy can remotely use your credit card ... weird.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    I already have a French bank account but I prefer to use Audi's credit card for everyday transactions since I get an instant SMS and it's a credit card not a debit card which are generally safer.
    Already did most of the above, stalked the name that showed up on the fraudulent transaction, even got his phone number and tried to call him but he didn't answer even though he was online on whatsapp lol ...
    But I am really surprised on how it was done exactly which is terrifying. Having your card on you all the time and being careful and having all the security measures, and still some guy can remotely use your credit card ... weird.
    Ticketmaster had a fraudulent script running on their payment screen that caused 500 000 credit card info to be stolen...many websites had this for a while it was a comon exploit at some point in time.

kalel

kalel

Orange Room Supporter

Simple POS Malware can steal the data before its encrypted. You shouldnt be surprised that this is happening since a lot of small shops, restaurants or other dont update and maintain their POS machines and POS malware has existed since 2010. If you want to move away from this mess, use your EU card and enable Google Pay / Apple Pay - this will generate temporary identifiers for your card that are used once without sending the real data to the POS machine.

On the 3D secure part, there are many malware that can steal 3D secure codes from your machine/mobile. Most interestingly attackers are now targeting 3D secure services and release servers of bank and their third parties. Ask your bank for physical token generator, dont trust SMS.

For online purchases use a virtual debit card or create masked cards.

A

Applepie

Simple POS Malware can steal the data before its encrypted. You shouldnt be surprised that this is happening since a lot of small shops, restaurants or other dont update and maintain their POS machines and POS malware has existed since 2010. If you want to move away from this mess, use your EU card and enable Google Pay / Apple Pay - this will generate temporary identifiers for your card that are used once without sending the real data to the POS machine.

On the 3D secure part, there are many malware that can steal 3D secure codes from your machine/mobile. Most interestingly attackers are now targeting 3D secure services and release servers of bank and their third parties. Ask your bank for physical token generator, dont trust SMS.

For online purchases use a virtual debit card or create masked cards.
    Great info! Thanks.

I have Apple Pay enabled with my French card but I never used it because I didn't see the point. Using your card contactless is even quicker than holding your phone to the reader. But realizing now that it's more secure, I will definitely use it.

AtheistForYeezus

AtheistForYeezus

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I'm not sure if Audi bank has this feature, but if you own a Blom credit card you can set a limit on online transactions.
    Like if you have a card with a balance of $3000, you can restrict online transactions above $500 or another amount of your choice.

I always keep an internet limit on my credit card, and only change it when I'm about to make a big purchase.