1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRISPR: Researchers have, for the first time, edited a human embryo

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Jo, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Legendary Member

100%
    the question to be asked are we ready as human beings, individuals and society, for such a leap forward? what objective does it really serve if human beings are grown instead of being born? i can already see the price tag for each feature, black eyes, blue eyes, green eyes, etc.. one will be very mistaken to think that this will be easily accessible to the masses. another step to make the rich quite richer. the perfect soldier, the perfect scientist, the perfect worker, might even turn out to be quite cheaper than mass producing drones and robots, and who knows, we might even get to the perfect suicide bomber.

and to our forum friend, we are all called to be like God, but with God. the problem is that the lack of understanding is several layers deep, without mentioning the added hatred and personality issues. starting with the original sin where man wanted to be God without God, to the redemption in Christ, where man was called to be like God under God, as was originally intended:
    You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.​

the real value and worth of mankind is quite well hidden within its vulnerability, without this one component that makes us all so fragile, there is no dimension for preciousness. the technology will no doubt materialize sooner or later, the real question that will remain is whether or not we will be morally ready for it. so far the signs are not very encouraging :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Noborders

Noborders Legendary Member

100%

Hallelujah.. Indie you just said something very true without realizing it maybe.. :)

3. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    Not only do I realize it but it was deliberate and in line with my Christian beliefs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Muki

Muki Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

1%
    That is the world we live in my friend. Man has never done anything since the dawn of our species, to which god successfully intervened and assisted him or prevented him from doing so.

5. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    That's what you think... :)

6. Muki

Muki Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

1%
    Not only what I think, but simply an observation of reality around me, far and near. There's many tragedies in the world, but also much happiness, joy, and prosperity -- and all are the work of man. Now you may believe that god is assisting you, but it seems nothing terrible is ever attributed to god. If I'm wrong on this last bit -- please show me which tragedy is the work of god (modern tragedies -- not what's written in scriptures).

7. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    I never claimed that tragedies are the work of God.

8. Muki

Muki Well-Known Member
    Orange Room Supporter

1%
    And I never said you did. I did say, however, that man is responsible for all that is positive and negative in the world, alone, to which you implicitly voiced your disagreement with my position. I elaborated with the fact that only the positive is attributed to god by those who believe in him, but never the negative. I've never seen anyone exclaim "Thank god for cancer!" for example.

9. Indie

Indie Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

48%
    Of course I disagree. Did man design or can he control the weather? Or gravity? Or the functioning of the solar system? Or the ocean tides? Or any other function of the universe however big or small? Man does not even control his own breathing and heartbeat: if man had to think about these functions he would not even be able to live.

On the contrary: it is atheists who attempt to attribute all that is negative to God by claiming that He either doesn't exist or he must be a horrible entity to allow such horrors...all while attributing all that is positive to science and human intellect.

When theists face difficult circumstances, they say "let it be done according to God's will because He has a higher purpose that we do not know about."