• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Customs fees on cars in lebanon

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Depends on what ? Model year?

Your question was:

What about classic car what age should they be
We aren't talking about 25 minutes, hours, days, weeks, or months. So years. The car must be 25 years old

Depends on what the Blue Book value is. Give me a VIN of a car you have in mind and I'll tell you :/

• Advertisement
  • shamel

shamel

Your question was:

We aren't talking about 25 minutes, hours, days, weeks, or months. So years. The car must be 25 years old

Depends on what the Blue Book value is. Give me a VIN of a car you have in mind and I'll tell you :/
    I still didn't find a car yet just asking so I can know where and what to look for

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Hi, I am looking to import a 2011 BMW 335i from Canada. Can you please let me know how much it would cost in total in US dollars

thank you
    Key questions, A BMW, or YOUR BMW?
    For resale or personal use?
    How long will you be needing it in Lebanon for?

K

karkouch

Key questions, A BMW, or YOUR BMW?
    For resale or personal use?
    How long will you be needing it in Lebanon for?
    It is mine, which I bought last year in Canada. I'm looking to bring it sometimes in the next few months and using it in Lebanon with a possibility of selling it after this summer in Lebanon.
    So Idealy I would be using it for a few months (while I'm visiting) and selling it before I leave. Would that be possible ?
    Thank you for your help :)

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

It is mine, which I bought last year in Canada. I'm looking to bring it sometimes in the next few months and using it in Lebanon with a possibility of selling it after this summer in Lebanon.
    So Idealy I would be using it for a few months (while I'm visiting) and selling it before I leave. Would that be possible ?
    Thank you for your help :)
    My guy at customs went AWOL :/ What I recommend is, your car is already over 5 years. If you bring it in the next 'few months' it'd be too old for permanent import, so I recommend running it on Canadian plates, and when you sell it, actually change the ownership title back home to new buyers name. Could offer a P.O box in your province to re-register the car, so if he takes it around to Europe, or drives it in Lebanon, and gets a ticket, it'd go to his P.O box in Canada, then to him in Lebanon.

Irrelevant side note, America and Canada do European Delivery Program, if you have residency (not necessary to have citizenship) you can get a car at a discount from US/Canadian prices, usually 7-11% because you drive it around Europe (and can drive it to Turkey and take a ferry to Lebanon) and bring it in as a used car, which is (I believe) exempt from taxes, or they become negligible. I recommend that you check it out. You buy a car, it's made in Europe, tickets and visas included in price (if you need a visa in advance, that is) + 14 days EU insurance. You then drop it off at any of the European locations (you can buy extra insurance after the 14 days are expired)

And 8 weeks later it's at your dealership or home garage, plated, and ready to drive.

Officially, only the US has this, but Canadian spec and US spec is the same thing, so insist at your local BMW dealership and they will be able to arrange this for you :)

The trick here is, you can drive the car anywhere outside of the EU (Lebanon, Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, Algeria, Syria, Jordan, UAE/Dubai) without paying VAT and then have it delivered home to Canada.

You cannot leave the car behind in Lebanon, but you can surely keep it there for maybe up to a year

AW888

AW888

Hi everyone,
    I am moving to Lebanon and want to take a car from Germany with me. I've been trying to call customs in Lebanon but it seems to be impossible to speak to someone who speaks English. My main question is if there's a way to get around the 5 Million LBP if you bring a car for your own use and are planning to ship it back to Germany whenever I leave Lebanon again (planning on staying for a year, possibly longer).
    Thanks a lot for any information!

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Hi everyone,
    I am moving to Lebanon and want to take a car from Germany with me. I've been trying to call customs in Lebanon but it seems to be impossible to speak to someone who speaks English. My main question is if there's a way to get around the 5 Million LBP if you bring a car for your own use and are planning to ship it back to Germany whenever I leave Lebanon again (planning on staying for a year, possibly longer).
    You can temporarily import the car, you have 6 months, I believe... you can then take the car to the Syrian border (may need visa if you aren't Arab or from the former-USSR) and cross back into Lebanon to re-start the 6 months (in 6 months the situation may be completely different, if it isn't safe, you can take a boat to Turkey and do the same thing)

To take a car to Lebanon from Germany, you will need to drive to southern Turkey first, and there are ferries that go from Mersin to Tripoli.

How old is your car?

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Hi everyone,
    You can temporarily import the car, you have 6 months, I believe... you can then take the car to the Syrian border (may need visa if you aren't Arab or from the former-USSR) and cross back into Lebanon to re-start the 6 months (in 6 months the situation may be completely different, if it isn't safe, you can take a boat to Turkey and do the same thing)

To take a car to Lebanon from Germany, you will need to drive to southern Turkey first, and there are ferries that go from Mersin to Tripoli.

How old is your car?
    Just a note: he can restart the 6 months procedure only once.

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Can you extend the 6 months inside of the country?

That way, you'd get 6x2=12+6x2=12= 24 months?

Also, if the car is 6 years old now, after a year, it wouldn't be possible to pay taxes and register it, so it would have to be exported permanently and sold

Muki

Muki

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    How does this work? What if you relocate to Lebanon, say for work, for longer than a year and you bring your car from wherever you come from? Can't you just register it with Lebanese authorities and then when you leave Lebanon again just import it back and re-register it in country of origin?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Seriously? Are these just for shipping stuff or for transporting people too? Do you know of any other ferries (for people) that go between Lebanon and other countries?

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

shipping stuff or for transporting people too?
    Both, I mean, you'd think that if you drive a car onto the boat they'd take you with it instead of making you walk

between Lebanon and other countries
    Nope, although Israel has ferries to Limassol, Cyprus, and then you can drive from Limassol to Northern Cyprus, and from there take a boat to Mersin

(so if you were European and needed to get from Lebanon to say, Jordan - and the route through Syria was closed because of the war, you could take a boat from Tripoli to Mersin, then from Mersin to Cyprus, then using another company from Cyprus to Israel and from there you could cross into Jordan, as Israel doesn't stamp borders and neither will Jordan at the King Allenby crossing)

(but we're getting off topic and no law abiding Lebanese resident would transit through the Zionist entity, as that is of course, illegal :)

What if you relocate to Lebanon
    Then you move "permanently". You uproot your life, and move elsewhere

say for work, for longer than a year
    You have to, at least by British law (EU member states have the same laws) de-register the car if you are leaving the UK for more than 12 months. It's not a "temporary job offer", it's a house move

you bring your car from wherever you come from
    Then in any civilized country, you will be allowed to re-register it, tax-free (if you purchase a car and you've paid tax in Germany, and you move to another country in the EEA, like Switzerland, Monaco, Malta or Cyprus, you don't need to pay tax again)

Can't you just register it with Lebanese authorities
    Not if the vehicle either runs on diesel, or is over 7 years old...

And there are taxes, big taxes involved.

Basically, if you move anywhere, for more than 12 months, that's it... you "live there". You need to pay taxes in that country as that is your home. Lebanon needs your shekels.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    How does this work? What if you relocate to Lebanon, say for work, for longer than a year and you bring your car from wherever you come from? Can't you just register it with Lebanese authorities and then when you leave Lebanon again just import it back and re-register it in country of origin?
    If you register your car, you dont need to do this.

This is done only in case the driver dont want to pay and register his car. He can delay this process by doing the above.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Both, I mean, you'd think that if you drive a car onto the boat they'd take you with it instead of making you walk

That's what I was asking...if they're the kind of ferries you drive your car onto, or transport ships reserved for merchandise.

Nope, although Israel has ferries to Limassol, Cyprus, and then you can drive from Limassol to Northern Cyprus, and from there take a boat to Mersin

(so if you were European and needed to get from Lebanon to say, Jordan - and the route through Syria was closed because of the war, you could take a boat from Tripoli to Mersin, then from Mersin to Cyprus, then using another company from Cyprus to Israel and from there you could cross into Jordan, as Israel doesn't stamp borders and neither will Jordan at the King Allenby crossing)

(but we're getting off topic and no law abiding Lebanese resident would transit through the Zionist entity, as that is of course, illegal :)
    Ok, thanks for the info.

AW888

AW888

Thanks a lot for the info! I would be shipping the car from Hamburg to Beirut. I haven't bought a car yet but I heard it can't be older than 8 years, or is this only true if I want to import permanently?
    So let's say I get the car to Lebanon tax free because of temporary import and it breaks down after a year. I just trash it or do I need to pay the taxes then since the car hasn't left the country?
    Any idea where I can get all the papers for importing my car? The costums website really has nothing useful on it.

D

dungtaa

Not sure how reliable that is but it showed up in google search

M

METNI

Thanks a lot for the info! I would be shipping the car from Hamburg to Beirut. I haven't bought a car yet but I heard it can't be older than 8 years, or is this only true if I want to import permanently?
    So let's say I get the car to Lebanon tax free because of temporary import and it breaks down after a year. I just trash it or do I need to pay the taxes then since the car hasn't left the country?
    Any idea where I can get all the papers for importing my car? The costums website really has nothing useful on it.

You do not need any papers from the Lebanese side. Just get the papers from the German side, you need a certificate of "touristic or temporary export" plus ask for "bara2it zemme" paper from the same source. The latter is just to be on the safe side.

I am temporary exporting my car to Beirut in two weeks time from Bahrain. It is called "certificate of touristic export". You can get this paper after you pay all traffic fines (if any). Shipping from Bahrain to Beirut cost around $1000 (takes around one week time to reach) and you would pay $200 to get it out off the Beirut port and I was told I need to be there in person !!! For info, if you cannot be there on time to take it out, the first nine days inside the port are free of any charges and then $10/day thereafter.

If you have a " Wasta:( " you can have an extension probably to another 6/12 months. The best thing to do is to sell it to a car dealer and he would do the needful.... In all cases, the tax would heavily reduce after a year time....

hope this helps in any way....

AW888

AW888

You do not need any papers from the Lebanese side. Just get the papers from the German side, you need a certificate of "touristic or temporary export" plus ask for "bara2it zemme" paper from the same source. The latter is just to be on the safe side.

I am temporary exporting my car to Beirut in two weeks time from Bahrain. It is called "certificate of touristic export". You can get this paper after you pay all traffic fines (if any). Shipping from Bahrain to Beirut cost around $1000 (takes around one week time to reach) and you would pay $200 to get it out off the Beirut port and I was told I need to be there in person !!! For info, if you cannot be there on time to take it out, the first nine days inside the port are free of any charges and then $10/day thereafter.

If you have a " Wasta:( " you can have an extension probably to another 6/12 months. The best thing to do is to sell it to a car dealer and he would do the needful.... In all cases, the tax would heavily reduce after a year time....

hope this helps in any way....

Thanks a lot for the info!!
    It looks like the car needs to cross the border after 6 month to get an extension... SInce you can't get into Israel there is only Syria left for a quick hop across the border. Syria doesn't seem like a good idea to hop over right now and who knows if things will be better of worse in 6 months from now. And you still pay 1000-1500$ for temporary import plus a max of 500$ when you leave the country with the car and come back after 6 months. Seems to be a better idea to just buy a car in Lebanon...
    Or do you have other informations on this?