• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Customs fees on cars in lebanon

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

I heard it can't be older than 8 years, or is this only true if I want to import permanently?
7, and yes. Cannot be diesel

I haven't bought a car yet
So let's say I get the car to Lebanon tax free because of temporary import and it breaks down after a year.
Don't buy a car that will break in a year then?

just trash it or do I need to pay the taxes then since the car hasn't left the country
Both, you answered your own question. The car hasn't left Lebanon.

Any idea where I can get all the papers for importing my car?
You need to be sure, right from the beginning, if you are buying a car for Lebanon to keep there and move there (which you probably will do, if you survive a year) and then MAYBE bring it back to Germany, or if you are categorically against living in Lebanon and will be there for no more than 12 months.

If you decide to buy a car in Germany, you will pay VAT there, which is something like 21% of the cars value, plus, in Lebanon if you decide to register it there and settle down, it will cost around 50%. Now, if you own it in Lebanon for 6 months and have driven it for 5000km, you can bring it back to Germany tax-free, but, if you own it in Germany, and then wish to bring it to Lebanon, you will have to pay VAT twice.

Just get the papers from the German side, you need a certificate of "touristic or temporary export" plus ask for "bara2it zemme" paper from the same source
No such papers exist here. We live in free countries. You need just your certificate of registration... which you won't have, unless you register the car and pay taxes in Germany. You need to understand also, @AW888 - I would recommend that you buy a new car from a Lebanese dealership. Then the car will be service-able and repairable under warranty both in Lebanon, and in Germany. This is because official dealerships have international warranty. They may chose not to service your car if you bought it elsewhere, therefore, go to official places (and they probably have connections in the customs who can reduce the value of the car, saving you money on import taxes).

If you get a European spec car made in Germany, you can chose to get export plates. You may be able to drive around Lebanon with these plates without paying taxes, but seeing as they are issued for a few weeks, the plates will be expired when you enter Europe, so you will have to pay taxes in the end. If you contact dealerships in Dubai (which sell US spec vehicles, mostly), you can get cheaper cars, tax-free (and you can refund the 5% import duty when you bring the car out) sent to Lebanon for $1000 as @METNI said... but when you return to Europe, you will need to spend $$$ on re-certifying the car so taht it meets European requirements (which may cost a couple thousand Euros). Had you lived in England, I could source you the European headlights that you needed so that you could get it inspected, and once you'd pass the test, I could take the European lights from you and you could put the American ones back in, but in Germany, the system is way more complicated.

Message me and I can find you the car that you need for cheaper, and can find you people that will get it into Lebanon for you.

• Advertisement
  • 420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Syria doesn't seem like a good idea to hop over right now and who knows if things will be better of worse in 6 months from now
    My reply didn't come through, it was saved as a draft so I just posted it. Syria is an alright place if you cross at the right time, people are living in Damascus and you can take a ferry to Turkey from Lebanon, as was my initial advice to you. You seem to listen to people who buy cars in the Gulf and are usually resident there, only shipping their cars back for a holiday. Meanwhile I've done this for a living.

Seems to be a better idea to just buy a car in Lebanon...
    Oh, your taxes are gonna be a lot higher than just $1500, unless you're buying a Kia Picanto.

Daniela, you don't look German, are you Chechen? Do you speak Russian?

AW888

AW888

[/QUOTE]
    You need to be sure, right from the beginning, if you are buying a car for Lebanon to keep there and move there (which you probably will do, if you survive a year) and then MAYBE bring it back to Germany, or if you are categorically against living in Lebanon and will be there for no more than 12 months.

If you decide to buy a car in Germany, you will pay VAT there, which is something like 21% of the cars value, plus, in Lebanon if you decide to register it there and settle down, it will cost around 50%. Now, if you own it in Lebanon for 6 months and have driven it for 5000km, you can bring it back to Germany tax-free, but, if you own it in Germany, and then wish to bring it to Lebanon, you will have to pay VAT twice.

No such papers exist here. We live in free countries. You need just your certificate of registration... which you won't have, unless you register the car and pay taxes in Germany. You need to understand also, @AW888 - I would recommend that you buy a new car from a Lebanese dealership. Then the car will be service-able and repairable under warranty both in Lebanon, and in Germany. This is because official dealerships have international warranty. They may chose not to service your car if you bought it elsewhere, therefore, go to official places (and they probably have connections in the customs who can reduce the value of the car, saving you money on import taxes).

If you get a European spec car made in Germany, you can chose to get export plates. You may be able to drive around Lebanon with these plates without paying taxes, but seeing as they are issued for a few weeks, the plates will be expired when you enter Europe, so you will have to pay taxes in the end. If you contact dealerships in Dubai (which sell US spec vehicles, mostly), you can get cheaper cars, tax-free (and you can refund the 5% import duty when you bring the car out) sent to Lebanon for $1000 as @METNI said... but when you return to Europe, you will need to spend $$$ on re-certifying the car so taht it meets European requirements (which may cost a couple thousand Euros). Had you lived in England, I could source you the European headlights that you needed so that you could get it inspected, and once you'd pass the test, I could take the European lights from you and you could put the American ones back in, but in Germany, the system is way more complicated.

Message me and I can find you the car that you need for cheaper, and can find you people that will get it into Lebanon for you.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the detailed reply!!
    Everything in Germany is more complicated haha!! I will stay in Lebanon for more than a year, I just don't have the money right now to get a car that I would want to keep for several years. So I was thinking of getting a car for no more than 2.500€ in Germany (you can get a decent car here for that prize), bring it to Lebanon, drive it for about a year and then buy something better in Lebanon once I safed up some money). Why all this? Because what I get in Lebanon for 2.500€ is a piece of garbage compared to what I can get in Germany for the same prize ;). In Germany I would have gotten an export plate, so I don't need to insure it in Germany throughout the entire year while I'm in Lebanon.

But buying a car in Lebanon still seems to be the easier solution...

AW888

AW888

7, and yes. Cannot be diesel

Message me and I can find you the car that you need for cheaper, and can find you people that will get it into Lebanon for you.

Thank you for the detailed reply!!
    Everything in Germany is more complicated haha!! I will stay in Lebanon for more than a year, I just don't have the money right now to get a car that I would want to keep for several years. So I was thinking of getting a car for no more than 2.500€ in Germany (you can get a decent car here for that prize), bring it to Lebanon, drive it for about a year and then buy something better in Lebanon once I safed up some money). Why all this? Because what I get in Lebanon for 2.500€ is a piece of garbage compared to what I can get in Germany for the same prize ;). In Germany I would have gotten an export plate, so I don't need to insure it in Germany throughout the entire year while I'm in Lebanon.

But buying a car in Lebanon still seems to be the easier solution...

AW888

AW888

My reply didn't come through, it was saved as a draft so I just posted it. Syria is an alright place if you cross at the right time, people are living in Damascus and you can take a ferry to Turkey from Lebanon, as was my initial advice to you. You seem to listen to people who buy cars in the Gulf and are usually resident there, only shipping their cars back for a holiday. Meanwhile I've done this for a living.

Oh, your taxes are gonna be a lot higher than just $1500, unless you're buying a Kia Picanto.

Daniela, you don't look German, are you Chechen? Do you speak Russian?

Yeah, I was palnning on getting something real cheap ;P. And you're right, I'm sure crossing to Syria will be fine in the end. My whole thinking is that if I'm really planning to import such a cheap car from Germany, it won't be worth going through all this hassle and calculating together all the costs (including shipping), I might as well buy a car in Lebanon for 5000€.
    Again, thank you for all the information, it really helps! I'm so glad to finally talk to someone who knows what's the deal with all this ;)!

AW888

AW888

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

I know good car dealers in Germany
    Evidently not, if I can get your German cars for cheaper than what they are in Germany. You get used to the steering in 30 seconds. I drive in Europe, and drive European cars in the UK regularly.

Get a new car in Germany, from the dealership, and have them give you an invoice with lower sum than what you paid for it. If you know dealers, they should be able to sell you a new car, without taxes, which you can load up with personal goods and drive to Lebanon, via Turkey.

AW888

AW888

Evidently not, if I can get your German cars for cheaper than what they are in Germany. You get used to the steering in 30 seconds. I drive in Europe, and drive European cars in the UK regularly.

Get a new car in Germany, from the dealership, and have them give you an invoice with lower sum than what you paid for it. If you know dealers, they should be able to sell you a new car, without taxes, which you can load up with personal goods and drive to Lebanon, via Turkey.
    I don't know why you want to start a fight so badly. I didn't even say what car I wanted to buy for which prize, so how can you know ify you can get it for cheaper in the UK? I wanted to see if it's worth it to import, but it's not. That's the end of this. Sorry you couldn't get a deal out of this, which is clearly what you are trying to achieve.

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

I didn't even say what car I wanted to buy for which prize, so how can you know if you can get it for cheaper in the UK?
    You can get cars for 2,500€ that are under 7 years of age? Because if yes, please link me to whoever you know can sell them for this price.

I wanted to see if it's worth it to import, but it's not
    And you got the Blue Book value for your car, and know the percentage of taxes you are going to be hit with, how?

Sorry you couldn't get a deal out of this, which is clearly what you are trying to achieve.
    Get a deal? Clearly what I'm trying to achieve? By giving you a group of eBay listings in the UK (or let me guess, I own all used cars being sold on eBay for under £1000) and Indians selling their cars?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This is why you shouldn't help people, they're so ****ing ungreatful

Miss Fusto, foute neme bitte

AW888

AW888

You can get cars for 2,500€ that are under 7 years of age? Because if yes, please link me to whoever you know can sell them for this price.

And you got the Blue Book value for your car, and know the percentage of taxes you are going to be hit with, how?

Get a deal? Clearly what I'm trying to achieve? By giving you a group of eBay listings in the UK (or let me guess, I own all used cars being sold on eBay for under £1000) and Indians selling their cars?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This is why you shouldn't help people, they're so ****ing ungreatful

Miss Fusto, foute neme bitte
    I thanked you SEVERAL times for your help. You seems to be extremely interested in me buying a car in the UK, which is clearly not what I want to do. I have not been the one who started to be very unfriendly and and claiming "I don't know dealers" etc. End of this conversation. This is an open forum in the end which is designed to helo each other out, not about proving a point that the UK has the best cars. Btw, it started with "You seem to want to listen to people who go on vacation instead of someone who does this for a living"...when everyone was just giving advice.

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

me buying a car in the UK
    No I didn't, I showed you that German cars where cheaper if bought here

the UK has the best cars
    BMW is German, Tata is Indian

"You seem to want to listen to people who go on vacation instead of someone who does this for a living"...when everyone was just giving advice
    Yeah, because in Bahrain and the rest of the Gulf, when you get a work visa, your every move is restricted. You can't leave whenever, and you can't ship a car out unless you are given permission to. Hence, in Bahrain, there are extra permits required... which do not exist in Germany.

K

Karimb111

Dears, i work in custom clearing, if you have any question about custom's amount for cars just let me know.
    If want to export a 2014/15 Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG from Europe possibly Germany or France that costs around 45000€. How much would I pay in taxes and customs?

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

If want to export a 2014/15 Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG from Europe possibly Germany or France that costs around 45000€. How much would I pay in taxes and customs?
    Think 50%, but also think, how long you want to keep the car in Lebanon...

K

Karimb111

Also if I want to import a car from the US what should I do about the mph to kmh conversion?

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Also if I want to import a car from the US what should I do about the mph to kmh conversion?
    Do you actually have a car in mind or are you shopping around? Have you enquired with local dealers? Do you have a wasta that will get your cars to clear customs?

KPH issue is for mecanique, you will have to ask them... Why not get a speedo with KPH? Many American cars are being made in Canada and are cheaper there, and have both units on the dashboards, why not look for cars there?

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

The price of 45,000€ is MSRP with taxes paid, the price of the car will be cheaper and that is the sum that will get taxed.

E.g 100,000€ car is 79,000€ price + 21,000€ taxes in EU

79,000€ price + Lebanese tax of 50% (39,500€) = 118,500€ cost in Lebanon... Not 100,000€ + 50% making it 150,000€

O

Ottguy

Hi everyone , I'm new here and would appreciate an answer with a correct Info please. I'm planing to move back to Lebanon and thinking of shipping a food trailer or food truck like ship truck or wagon also a Ford f350 pickup truck diesel, please let me know if I can get them in and how much the cost for each please and thank you.

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Ford f350 pickup truck diesel
    Diesel vehicles are banned for import into Lebanon. As for trailers, you should be fine. I'd do an engine swap if the vehicle is that important to you. Plenty of nice gasoline engines, and you could always swap the engine out for the original once it's in the country...