• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Customs fees on cars in lebanon

JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
Diesel vehicles are banned for import into Lebanon. As for trailers, you should be fine. I'd do an engine swap if the vehicle is that important to you. Plenty of nice gasoline engines, and you could always swap the engine out for the original once it's in the country...
i think he can if its for an agricultural company

• Advertisement
  • 420weblazeit

420weblazeit

i think he can if its for an agricultural company
    No, cars cannot be imported. Commercial trucks (SCANIA, MAN, Volvo, Mercedes) can, as can tractors. A pick up is neither.

JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    No, cars cannot be imported. Commercial trucks (SCANIA, MAN, Volvo, Mercedes) can, as can tractors. A pick up is neither.
    its a shame really, turbo diesel cars are all around europe and are much more fuel efficient and cheaper to maintain,but dont know how well they'll fucntion with our top of the line diesel we have here.
    speaking of that i know a dude who imported a turbo diesel engine (as spare parts ) for his golf mark 2

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

its a shame really turbo diesel cars are all around europe and are much more fuel efficient and cheaper to maintain,but dont know how well they'll fucntion with our top of the line diesel we have here
    You can register engine swaps with the traffic department though, right? So, he can buy a shitty petrol engine for a couple hundred, clear customs with that, then fit in the original engine and

JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    You can register engine swaps with the traffic department though, right? So, he can buy a shitty petrol engine for a couple hundred, clear customs with that, then fit in the original engine and
    i dont know, he had a regular petrol engine, replaced with the new imported one of course its not road legal, there is no way of getting it past mou3eyane, so he just drives around town avoids highway, great idea if you live in rural lebanon. if i did i would only drive an 2ankad car and a diesel engine , saves you loads of money

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

i dont know, he had a regular petrol engine, replaced with the new imported one of course its not road legal, there is no way of getting it past mou3eyane, so he just drives around town avoids highway, great idea if you live in rural lebanon. if i did i would only drive an 2ankad car and a diesel engine , saves you loads of money
    ???

You can register a change of colour, you can register the serial number of engine if the old one breaks... why can't your friend replace the serial number with the diesel one, and change the fuel type from "benzin" to "diesel" on the database?

JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    ???

You can register a change of colour, you can register the serial number of engine if the old one breaks... why can't your friend replace the serial number with the diesel one, and change the fuel type from "benzin" to "diesel" on the database?
    he cant change the fuel type, its already illegal, if he wants to pass by mou3ayane (auto inspection) i am pretty sure his CO level will be of the charts, thats if they couldnt tell its diesel by the way the engine sounds, plus the guy at the bottom of the pit where they check for loose ball joints and stuff like that will notice its diesel if he knows a thing or two about cars

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

he cant change the fuel type, its already illegal, if he wants to pass by mou3ayane (auto inspection) i am pretty sure his CO level will be of the charts, thats if they couldnt tell its diesel by the way the engine sounds, plus the guy at the bottom of the pit where they check for loose ball joints and stuff like that will notice its diesel if he knows a thing or two about cars
    What about conversion to electric?

JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    What about conversion to electric?
    i guess you can, a couple of month ago toyota released the pruis , howvwe i dont think its easy nor cheap and you couldnt do it with an old car

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

i guess you can, a couple of month ago toyota released the pruis , howvwe i dont think its easy nor cheap and you couldnt do it with an old car
    Conversion to electric power is piss cheap and easy, can be done with an old forklift motor and battery.

JeanH

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    Conversion to electric power is piss cheap and easy, can be done with an old forklift motor and battery.
    i dont know of anyone in lebanon who has done it , i dont know of any mechanic or engineer who knows how to do it proper, i think its great for the coast where you dont have lots of upwords roads, but if love for say in alley and want to go up from beirut...man i think that battery will drain 10 times faster

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

K

Karimb111

The price of 45,000€ is MSRP with taxes paid, the price of the car will be cheaper and that is the sum that will get taxed.

E.g 100,000€ car is 79,000€ price + 21,000€ taxes in EU

79,000€ price + Lebanese tax of 50% (39,500€) = 118,500€ cost in Lebanon... Not 100,000€ + 50% making it 150,000€
    Car dealers in Germany told me that the tax is refunded after successful registration in the destination country. So I'll have to pay 50% of Lebanese tax on the price that includes the European tax. Am I wrong?

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Car dealers in Germany told me that the tax is refunded after successful registration in the destination country. So I'll have to pay 50% of Lebanese tax on the price that includes the European tax. Am I wrong?
    Yes, you are wrong. For two reasons:

1) The price that you declare at Lebanese borders is the CIF (Cost of Car + Insurance for the shipping + Freight, so cost of shipping the car to Lebanon from Germany). So, 100,000€ car that costs 121,000€ in Europe due to 21% VAT will be taxed as 101,800€ car because it costs 1800€ to send the car to Lebanon.
    2) Lebanon uses American blue books to value cars (this is to your advantage, as cars sold in the US cost less in USD than in Europe) so the cost that Lebanon will assume your car is worth will be less than what you would pay if you bought the car in Europe.

Muriel

Muriel

Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can help me with some questions. I am in a bad situation with how much the vehicle import fees might be, but I need the vehicle.

In August 2011 I moved to Beirut (to attend university) by driving my car from Italy. Ever since I arrived, I have been tryng to find out where and how to get the vehicle officially registered. I finally made it to the customs office in Beirut, where a gentleman named Mohammed (I won't put his full name online) is helping me with the process.... for a fee of $700. Whatever. We'll come back to that.

I did not have the vehicle shipped. I lived in Italy prior to moving to Lebanon, so I drove the car from Italy to Lebanon. Because of that, I did not factor in any shipping cost or insurance cost. However, Mohammed told me I still have to pay that amount as if it were shipped. Obviously I want to double-check that since it makes no sense (and it amounts to a huge difference in cost).

'Customs Duties and Taxes are based on the CIF (Cost + Insurance + Freight) value of the imported used vehicles...'

If a 'shipping cost' were automatically added to every vehicle regardless of whether, how, and for how much it was actually shipped, they would put that fixed amount into the formula instead of leaving a space called 'Shipping Cost'/'Freight' as a variable.

Last week Mohammed told me the cost for importing the vehicle would be $5,300.

Furthermore, he said it would cost me about $2000 to register the car after that. That is pretty terrifying in itself, but I have no particular reason to believe he might be incorrect about the registration amount.

The first question I have is about that $5,300 number, because, prior to coming to Lebanon, I had calculated my car's import cost to be $3,400 based on the information on this forum and other places.

Am I mssing something?

One other question of concern. I just re-read this thread and someone mentioned:

'Also, if the car is 6 years old now, after a year, it wouldn't be possible to pay taxes and register it, so it would have to be exported permanently and sold'

Is this still the case? Because my car is a 2011 Nissan Juke. I certainly hope the customs and registrations officials would not let me pay thousands of dollars only to find out I can't keep my car after all. The hope that this car will be with me for years to come is one of the only things that might make paying the astronomical import fees worth it.

Thank you for your help.

Muriel

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Is this still the case? Because my car is a 2011 Nissan Juke. I certainly hope the customs and registrations officials would not let me pay thousands of dollars only to find out I can't keep my car after all. The hope that this car will be with me for years to come is one of the only things that might make paying the astronomical import fees worth it.
    No one can force you to sell your car. I am not sure what the original poster meant.

I dont have more info to help you, sorry. But this is what i know:
    . Even if you didnt ship your car, you will still need to pay a "Jomrok" (custom fees) and yes these are high, could be 5,300 usd... i am not sure
    . After paying the "Jomrok" you have to register your car, the fees here will depend on your car type, manufacture date and its size. Could be 2,000 usd although i think it should be around the 1,000 usd in your case.

Good luck :)

420weblazeit

420weblazeit

Mohammed told me I still have to pay that amount as if it were shipped
    No, your cost of Insurance/Freight is how much fuel you spent on driving it over from Italy

he said it would cost me about $2000 to register the car after that
    I think you're getting scammed. Yes, you must register the car before it turns 7 years old.

Muriel

Muriel

Okay, customs part done. Thank you everyone very much for your help with that!

Now the tricky part is registration, which is part of why I am at several months later with still no registration.

I plan to sell the car because I need a different type (I have to be able to carry more passengers, plus other needs ... it's a long story). You can't hear me weeping, but I am, because I love my Juke. :(

The customs official told me If I register the Juke - which will cost me around $1200 - and then sell it, whoever buys it will have to pay the same amount in registration fees just transfer the registration to their name.

So my first question is - did I understand him right? Are the registration fees really the same amount for the first registration of the vehicle in Lebanon and for a transfer of ownership? Wouldn't that also mean that for whatever used vehicle I buy, I need to factor in that I will be paying $1200-$2000 in registration fees?

The next question is trickier. Italy basically loaned me the Italian plates and I have to return them. Can anyone confirm that once I register the car in Lebanon I will get to keep the Italian plates? Is there any way I can send the plates back now, or will I be illegal on Lebanese roads then even though the car has now been stamped with a Lebanese import number?

I need to return them as soon as possible, but the process will still take a while as I have to acquire the different vehicle, sell the Juke, then somehow ensure the new owner gives me back the plates when he registers it.

It's all very complex. Can anyone provide any answers or advice? Thank you.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    So my first question is - did I understand him right? Are the registration fees really the same amount for the first registration of the vehicle in Lebanon and for a transfer of ownership? Wouldn't that also mean that for whatever used vehicle I buy, I need to factor in that I will be paying $1200-$2000 in registration fees?
    I need to return them as soon as possible, but the process will still take a while as I have to acquire the different vehicle, sell the Juke, then somehow ensure the new owner gives me back the plates when he registers it.
    So here is what i know.

Yes every person who buys a car needs to register it in his name. So if you are not keeping the car, dont register it, when you sell it the buyer will.
    The cost is the same, it will only differ when another year passes. Newer cars registrations are more expensive than older ones, also it depends on the horsepower of your vehicle

Now for your other question, when you sell your car, you (or someone legally assigned by you) have to go down to the car registry thing (the location depends on where you live) with the new buyer to transfer the ownership of the car to his name, all this can be done in around 1h30mins or so.
    So you transfer the ownership, he registers the car in his name, gets his new plates and you take yours. All in around 2 hours.

Impera

Impera

Cars in Lebanon must have similar prices to those in Singapore. Highly expensive and very tough to own. Public transportation (that we desperately need to upgrade and strengthen) should be the primary method of the Lebanese.