• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Customs fees on cars in lebanon

Muriel

Muriel

So here is what i know.

Yes every person who buys a car needs to register it in his name. So if you are not keeping the car, dont register it, when you sell it the buyer will.
The cost is the same, it will only differ when another year passes. Newer cars registrations are more expensive than older ones, also it depends on the horsepower of your vehicle

Now for your other question, when you sell your car, you (or someone legally assigned by you) have to go down to the car registry thing (the location depends on where you live) with the new buyer to transfer the ownership of the car to his name, all this can be done in around 1h30mins or so.
So you transfer the ownership, he registers the car in his name, gets his new plates and you take yours. All in around 2 hours.
Ok, thank you so much!

• Advertisement
  • 420weblazeit

420weblazeit

So you transfer the ownership, he registers the car in his name, gets his new plates and you take yours
    So someone living in Beirut buying a car from Tripoli would get a new plate, with B 12345 instead of T 12345? What if you had a plate you paid a lot for and you want to keep it?

D

Daniel2012

Hi Guys, I'm here to inquire about the following matter: I would like to ship my car from Saudi Arabia to Lebanon. It's a 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S. Can someone inform me how much it will cost me for custom duty fee, and how much it will cost me for registration?. As well I would like to know since I have a residency in Saudi Arabia, is it possible to postpone its custom duty payment and registration while I use it in Lebanon, and for how long?
    Thank you,
    Daniel

zero

zero

Hi Guys, I'm here to inquire about the following matter: I would like to ship my car from Saudi Arabia to Lebanon. It's a 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S. Can someone inform me how much it will cost me for custom duty fee, and how much it will cost me for registration?. As well I would like to know since I have a residency in Saudi Arabia, is it possible to postpone its custom duty payment and registration while I use it in Lebanon, and for how long?
    Thank you,
    Daniel
    "When calculating duties and taxes on imported used vehicles, Lebanon uses the CIF value of the imported vehicle. If you are not already familiar with CIF, then allow us to explain. CIF is short for “Cost, Insurance, Freight.” It represents the total value of the vehicle (as determined by customs and documentation that you submit) plus the total cost of shipping and shipping insurance. It’s for this reason that you will want to save as much money as possible when shipping.

Regarding assessing its import duty, Lebanon takes into account the value of the vehicle imported. For imported vehicles where the CIF is 20 million LBP or less, a flat customs duty of 5 million LBP is charged. For vehicles where the CIF is greater than 20 million LBP, then customs duty is 50% of the CIF amount.

In addition to the above customs duty, there is also a Value Added Tax (VAT) added by Lebanese customs authorities. Regardless of age, value or condition of the imported used vehicle, this VAT is equal to 10% of the sum of the vehicle’s CIF and whatever the amount paid for the import duty.

As an example, let’s consider a used vehicle that has a CIF of 10 million LBP. In this instance, a 5 million LBP duty, and a VAT of 1.5 million LBP (15,000,000 LBP x 10%) is assessed. Therefore, the total cost of importing the vehicle into Lebanon would be 6.5 million LBP.

Should you have any more questions about import duties and taxes paid on used vehicles imported from the United States into Lebanon, please consult the official website for Lebanese Customs here."

Importing Used or Salvage Vehicles from the United States into Lebanon - Auto Auction Mall

---------------------------------

So Based on that and kelly blue book price of 48,000-54,000$.... which seems low for a car of this caliber, but that is what they indicate. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S 991 Coupe 2D Trade In Values | Kelley Blue Book

Just based on this article... Expect to pay around $30,000 total with shipping and VAT and everything. I cannot confirm this, but this is what seems to be the case. Long story short, probably not worth it, but i am not sure this is all accurate.

Edit: i might have messed up the kelly blue book evaluation as it is 991. Check that too.

D

Daniel2012

"When calculating duties and taxes on imported used vehicles, Lebanon uses the CIF value of the imported vehicle. If you are not already familiar with CIF, then allow us to explain. CIF is short for “Cost, Insurance, Freight.” It represents the total value of the vehicle (as determined by customs and documentation that you submit) plus the total cost of shipping and shipping insurance. It’s for this reason that you will want to save as much money as possible when shipping.

Regarding assessing its import duty, Lebanon takes into account the value of the vehicle imported. For imported vehicles where the CIF is 20 million LBP or less, a flat customs duty of 5 million LBP is charged. For vehicles where the CIF is greater than 20 million LBP, then customs duty is 50% of the CIF amount.

In addition to the above customs duty, there is also a Value Added Tax (VAT) added by Lebanese customs authorities. Regardless of age, value or condition of the imported used vehicle, this VAT is equal to 10% of the sum of the vehicle’s CIF and whatever the amount paid for the import duty.

As an example, let’s consider a used vehicle that has a CIF of 10 million LBP. In this instance, a 5 million LBP duty, and a VAT of 1.5 million LBP (15,000,000 LBP x 10%) is assessed. Therefore, the total cost of importing the vehicle into Lebanon would be 6.5 million LBP.

Should you have any more questions about import duties and taxes paid on used vehicles imported from the United States into Lebanon, please consult the official website for Lebanese Customs here."

Importing Used or Salvage Vehicles from the United States into Lebanon - Auto Auction Mall

So Based on that and kelly blue book price of 48,000-54,000$.... which seems low for a car of this caliber, but that is what they indicate. 2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S 991 Coupe 2D Trade In Values | Kelley Blue Book

Just based on this article... Expect to pay around $30,000 total with shipping and VAT and everything. I cannot confirm this, but this is what seems to be the case. Long story short, probably not worth it, but i am not sure this is all accurate.

Edit: i might have messed up the kelly blue book evaluation as it is 991. Check that too.
    Thank you for your quick reply. Rgds, Daniel

E

eli019

hello i need help...
    i just bought a classic old Mercedes car from copart auction usa it just cost me about 4000$ there i want to get informed about how much th custom fees will cost me
    car: mercedes- benz 450 sl 1972
    vin: 00010704412******

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    hello i need help...
    i just bought a classic old Mercedes car from copart auction usa it just cost me about 4000$ there i want to get informed about how much th custom fees will cost me
    car: mercedes- benz 450 sl 1972
    vin: 00010704412******
    Find someone connected bribe them, and it will cost you nothing. Help out with the Fassed campaign :)

K

Karam Adel

Hi,
    I am trying to ship my car from the united states to Lebanon. I would like to know how much will the custom fees be?
    It's an infiniti QX30 2017. I would really appreciate it if somebody can help with this matter.
    Thank you

mikeys71

mikeys71

Hi,
    I am trying to ship my car from the united states to Lebanon. I would like to know how much will the custom fees be?
    It's an infiniti QX30 2017. I would really appreciate it if somebody can help with this matter.
    Thank you
    It all depends on who you know.

mikeys71

mikeys71

What if I know nobody
    Then don't ship a car, they will rip you off. But here are the numbers from 2012 transaction:
    Sales Tax 7.85%
    Excise Tax 50%
    Yes fifty percent that wasn't a typo. It doesn't matter what price you declare they have their own appraisal system. Be prepared to pay "Bakhshish" to a lot of people. good luck...

K

Karam Adel

Then don't ship a car, they will rip you off. But here are the numbers from 2012 transaction:
    Sales Tax 7.85%
    Excise Tax 50%
    Yes fifty percent that wasn't a typo. It doesn't matter what price you declare they have their own appraisal system. Be prepared to pay "Bakhshish" to a lot of people. good luck...
    I heard they lowered the fees 25%

M

MAK75Ohm

I wonder if anyone can answer my question:
    I own a car in Germany (where I am also a resident). I am planning to ship the car to Lebanon soon. The car was first put into service in Sep 2012. Can you please advise when is the latest date or year I am allowed to bring it into the country. Also, how can I figure out the CIF value of the car. Thanks for your help!

L Joud

L Joud

Also, does anyone know when the car has Salvage title in the US if the customs fees are different?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter

What is this theft.

I did a quick calculation with a new car that is below 20 million LBP: whether you buy it in the states and ship it to Lebanon yourself, or buy it from a dealership in Lebanon, you're paying roughly the same amount.

BUT...that amount is around 6k more than what people are paying in the states, despite the fact that it's a European car (so technically closer to Lebanon), and the fact that salaries in Lebanon are much lower, and public transport non-existant.

Furthermore, 20 million LBP is really not a big amount for a car. There are plenty of basic cars that cost more than that, driven by lower middle class people. How in the world are they supposed to pay 50% custom fees?!!!