• Hello Guest

Please bear with us! The Orange Room is being restructured.

Deep into Atheism

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
This thread is dedicated to Atheists, a place to explain their religious perspective and practices, and where they can share their theology with the rest of the world.

hmm ok, i see the pitfall in the above line of thinking. how about dedicating this thread to atheist who would like to explain why they do not believe, instead of doing so in other thread and raging against so chaotically against other faiths. here they can do so at peace and discuss perspectives to the fullest.

so instead of working hard to prove that all others are wrong, this space is dedicated to atheist so that they may explain why atheism is the correct choice.

• Advertisement
  • Salmoun

I didn't know where to put my post, in here, in the christianity or the islam thread. Then i decided that this is the best place (by feeling). I would like to draw a picture to support my theory but i never understood how i can upload a photo from my pc to this forum

GOD Christianity + Islam + Jewish + Bouddhism + Chamanism + etc.

- Every religion knows one part (face) of GOD but do not know “all” GOD.

- The problem is that every religion think that it covers all GOD scope and it is the true road to GOD (religions big ego).

- But who is GOD and what he really wants? We don’t know, therefore the Atheist refuse to speak about it because they don’t understand him since he speaks different languages and often contradictory. So they prefer to ignore him but they still believe that he exists some how

All the religion discussion can't be done unless it takes in consideration the human being nature and spiritual capabilities. otherwise it is speculation

This thread is dedicated to Atheists, a place to explain their religious perspective and practices, and where they can share their theology with the rest of the world.

hmm ok, i see the pitfall in the above line of thinking. how about dedicating this thread to atheist who would like to explain why they do not believe, instead of doing so in other thread and raging against so chaotically against other faiths. here they can do so at peace and discuss perspectives to the fullest.

so instead of working hard to prove that all others are wrong, this space is dedicated to atheist so that they may explain why atheism is the correct choice.

Oh come on,,,,,How deep can this go !!!!!:flock:

Nayla

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I didn't know where to put my post, in here, in the christianity or the islam thread. Then i decided that this is the best place (by feeling). I would like to draw a picture to support my theory but i never understood how i can upload a photo from my pc to this forum

- The problem is that every religion think that it covers all GOD scope and it is the true road to GOD (religions big ego).

- But who is GOD and what he really wants? We don’t know, therefore the Atheist refuse to speak about it because they don’t understand him since he speaks different languages and often contradictory. So they prefer to ignore him but they still believe that he exists some how

All the religion discussion can't be done unless it takes in consideration the human being nature and spiritual capabilities. otherwise it is speculation
    You download your pics here: tinypic.com/?t=postupload

then you copy the link and put it on the forum.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member

if i got you correctly i think you are saying that every religion has a piece of the puzzle, and the full picture of God can be obtained when we fit these pieces together.
    the problem however, at least from my perspective, is that some religions have much bigger pieces than others, in addition, not many of these pieces do fit together.

Buddhism is a way different story.

Actually, God in Buddhism is not personified, has no time, is everything, we are extension of him, there is no Good-Evil myth, God is not fighting Devils ect..

In the End all will merge with God, there is evolution.

Actually, Jesus and Buddha are very Similar...Both preached that the enemy is the self, not the others.
    Both said be like GOD in heaven, and let God be your aim. ect.

Buddha says, to fight oneself and win is much more important then to fight 1000 battles and win them.
    Jesus says, what will you gain if you win the world and lose yourself.

Actually, in Buddhism the concept of God is not something they preach, because those who experience GOD did it themselves and cannot make others experience it, so talking about it is useless and those who did not experience GOD are forbidden to talk about something they dont know.

There is a story about Buddhas disciples once asking Buddha about GOD, he was a very devoted person, ect, he asked Oh Gautama Buddha, does God exist? Buddha said, NO.
    It was in the morning...

In the evening, one came by who was atheist, and asked Buddha, is there GOD? Buddha surprisingly said sure there is GOD.

Then all the disciples said to him, what is this? how can you tell us in the morning there is no GOD and in the evening you say there is GOD.

Buddha said, If I tell you there is GOD and I experience it, you may believe me or dis-believe me, but that would change nothing of your awareness, you by telling you there is GOD will not experience him ...and the vice versa...

So Buddhism is a very deep spiritual philosophy and religion, and the good about it that it does not believe in GOD or disbelieve in it, and people learn to be good, honest, loving not because they are afraid of GOD ALMIGHTY, but because they enhance their spiritual perception of life.

Thats why I always say, I even if Jesus is crazy, not real, or not GOD, I still adore him even more, because I do not want to be on this path to be rewarded, but I want to be on this path because it is the best one.(The path of Light)

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Dark Angel; thanks for this thread, but I doubt you'll get the rich literature here that exists in the Islam and Christianity threads. That's simply because we don't believe in the mythology that drives religion. But we're very open-minded. Believe me, if I see real evidence of God then I will be the first to convert. But please don't mistaken this for some yearning to believe and treat me like a "lost soul" looking for direction. I'm very happy with my life, my work, my family, and I don't need something to make me feel better that after I die I go to a place called heaven. I'm totally ok with not believing in that. I also don't believe in hell, where sinful people go there to burn for all eternity. Atheists are totally ok with there not being anything after death-- it doesn't scare us. The love I have for my family, and their love for me supersedes everything else. Imagine, I have some friends who are believers in their religion and they love god more than their children... I find this very sad, and an evidence of brain-washing that religion imposes.

So, I'll be happy to answer any questions, but please don't refer to scripture of any sort. We believe in science :) --- AND we know that science is imperfect, and that it is always and gradually improving. That, my friend, gives me more comfort that prayer and the idea of heaven... That one day a scientist will discover the cure for cancer... not Mar Charbel.

Genius

Legendary Member
    Oh come on,,,,,How deep can this go !!!!!:flock:
    A lot lot deeper than all religions combined.

What is the education system in religions?
    Medical? Have you read Mohammed medicine? Honey and spices?
    Banking systems?
    Trade? Urbanism?

Should I continue? It was all developed by science.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    @Dark Angel; thanks for this thread, but I doubt you'll get the rich literature here that exists in the Islam and Christianity threads. That's simply because we don't believe in the mythology that drives religion. But we're very open-minded. Believe me, if I see real evidence of God then I will be the first to convert. But please don't mistaken this for some yearning to believe and treat me like a "lost soul" looking for direction. I'm very happy with my life, my work, my family, and I don't need something to make me feel better that after I die I go to a place called heaven. I'm totally ok with not believing in that. I also don't believe in hell, where sinful people go there to burn for all eternity. Atheists are totally ok with there not being anything after death-- it doesn't scare us. The love I have for my family, and their love for me supersedes everything else. Imagine, I have some friends who are believers in their religion and they love god more than their children... I find this very sad, and an evidence of brain-washing that religion imposes.

So, I'll be happy to answer any questions, but please don't refer to scripture of any sort. We believe in science :) --- AND we know that science is imperfect, and that it is always and gradually improving. That, my friend, gives me more comfort that prayer and the idea of heaven... That one day a scientist will discover the cure for cancer... not Mar Charbel.
    excellent. you seem to be firm in your perspective with a solid grip on reality, your love for your family is also not a lost point :) best wishes and good luck there.

but i have a series of questions in light of your post :)

why does it seem to be a common belief among atheists that the people of faith do not believe in science? :
    do you think that religious belief is induced by the quest for heaven or the fear of hell? or by the fear of nothingness that may follow death?

and this is more of a personal question, why do you feel the need to preach atheism? and how exactly does that make you different from jahova's witnesses? :)

A lot lot deeper than all religions combined.

What is the education system in religions?
    Medical? Have you read Mohammed medicine? Honey and spices?
    Banking systems?
    Trade? Urbanism?

Should I continue? It was all developed by science.

You didnt read Buddha talking about Atom and dividing the Atom about 8 peaces and talking about the universe how it dis-appears and re-appears 1000 of times in just a blink of an eye, and I had this explained by Astro-physicists. Buddha said 2400 years ago this and now science has proved it, Buddha is the most person who has science even about planets.

You know that the Hindus(Buddha was Hindu) knew about pluto?!!! and they positioned him in the Mahabharata war? saturn and uranus and neptune. They even knew about the Nodes of the moon and planets, which science discovered it in the 1970 I guess.

Hindu divided the a second into million peaces ...oh God they have a wide science I cannot speak of it all now.

They knew if a planet comes near Earth it would bring Calamity ect..earthquakes ect ect..They knew about food, how to eat, fast, what to eat ...They knew about construction the science of Vatsu, about religion, about relationship between man and his social life and man and his wive,...ect..

Buddha said that this world is MAYA, an Illusion and is not real..and as per the great Albert Einstein:
    "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

Akhenaton may have been married to a Vedic girl( Daughter of Vedic culture king) and Akhenaton had a very good relationship with Canaanites...

Genius

Legendary Member
    excellent. you seem to be firm in your perspective with a solid grip on reality, your love for your family is also not a lost point :) best wishes and good luck there.

Ti
    why does it seem to be a common belief among atheists that the people of faith do not believe in science? :
    do you think that religious belief is induced by the quest for heaven or the fear of hell? or by the fear of nothingness that may follow death?

and this is more of a personal question, why do you feel the need to preach atheism? and how exactly does that make you different from jahova's witnesses? :)
    The best things Hindus knew was kamasutra.

Then the foutou7at , peaceful please, came followed by a dark british colony

Back to kamasutra

Genius

Legendary Member
    All religions get outdated and will disappear.

Do you know how many gods and religions are already extinct?

Christianity and islam will disappear like the rest one day, science will remain.

I read the religious books and find them already finished, violent, outdated, mysoginic

Human rights have more morality than the books
    Religions maybe played roles in the past, what do jesus and mohammad advance today except stories

Libnene Qu7

Super Ultra Senior Member
    Orange Room Supporter

I understand that many religious people do believe in science and give it its due. However, I've seen it on a personal level, that some of these same people would send me pictures and emails (I live outside Lebanon) of an icon in our village church which is excreting oil. And they start to preach to me and send me quotes of scripture. I'm like, hold on, you, the person that I know who's very logical, is choosing out of the 2 possibilities: 1) someone put some oil without being seen or 2) God interceded and is sending a message to humanity through our little village church; the second option? So when I start to debate this I get very negative and inflammatory responses. This is just one example. So my suspicion (which could be wrong because I'm obviously generalizing here) is that although most religious people do believe in science, they sometimes lose their grip on reality.

do you think that religious belief is induced by the quest for heaven or the fear of hell? or by the fear of nothingness that may follow death?:

Yes, I believe that is one major part of it. I guess the biggest reason to believe in religion is to make sense of the world around us. It's the fear of not grasping who we truly are and why we exist is what drives religious thought into elevating humans and planet earth as the center of the universe. So God made us in his image, there's heaven and hell for true justice, etc. As an atheist, I realize that in my lifetime, I will never know everything. And I will also never know why I exist, and why things are the way they are. So I take comfort in the fact that we are particles in the universe, not god-like.

Absolutely not. This is one of the major turn-offs I get from religious people, especially devout Muslims. I live in the Gulf and I find this incessant behaviour of some to be annoying and borderline psychotic. I hate preachers and I would rather kill myself than become one. I'm only posting on this forum in the relevant threads, and my rebuttals are only meant to shock-- not convert :) Live and let live, that's my mantra (except for Salafists. **** Salafists). I know some atheists who are annoyingly preachy, and I stay away from them. I also find it hypocritical of atheists who are preachy.

Nayla

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Upload not download!
    mish ma32oulin into l believers! bta3mlo kil shi 3aks l reality! :D
    LOOOOOL
    Mish ma32oul enta shou btontor l wa7ad 3a kelme :p
    ya sanade, l mouhemm tozbat l soura, shou 2eloulak 3anne 3emle computer engineering? :p
    ana beshkor Allah enne ba3ref dawwro w taffi lal laptop w ba3mel kem post 3al forum, bass bet7addek tefham my french posts :p
    smallah 3leik ya mfalsaf, rou7 t3allam frensewe w ta3a t7addenne bl computer :biggrin:

dakhilkon ento l atheists shou shallow w shou bihemmkon l mazaher :dil:

Unfortunately we had once a huge thread about atheism full of intellectual posts and input that got deleted since some members over here found it offending to host a thread about atheism on this forum! Yet those very "senior" Christian members criticize Islamists for intolerance!

This tells a lot about how atheists should feel about religious people! Hypocrisy. Pure hypocrisy and self-contradiction.

However, as his is not true about all religious people, as there are intellectual and well educated religious individuals, and even some scientists although in tiny percentages.. It is also untrue about all atheists thinking and acting the same!

So anyone turning to stereotyping, prejudice, and generalization, on either side, should realize by now that this is the wrong approach!
    This must be the most important message to deliver through and to practice. Tolerance and acceptance of others.
    When everyone accepts the same set of rights she/he sets to own self, then we would get rid of many issues and discrimination problems around the world, not just sectarianism and religious bias!
    "My freedom stops when others' begin".. Know one's limits and red lines. Practice respect and tolerance.
    Oppose indoctrination and hatred. Repulsion and intolerance. Isolation and cultural exclusivity!

Anyway, still, through these threads, and any debating platform, there will always be room for discussions and exchange of opinions.
    And nothing wrong in that. Exchange of knowledge and preaching of one's beliefs and ideas, as well as trying to convince others of a certain theory or way of life is never wrong.

We, humans, by nature are social animals. And only through team work and cooperation we survived and evolved into a dominant species. And in order to keep this trait, and enrich it, we need to communicate among ourselves on all levels.

Religion and theology is one of those levels of communication cultures and societies have been communicating at.
    And atheism may be the newest trend, or set of guidelines for a new way of life to all cultures. It simply goes against the practice and belief in all religions and deities and set oneself free of such duties and traditions till humanity makes the next step on the ladder of knowledge and we get to know or learn something for certain to rely on. So atheism main message is to convince people of leaving this level of communication behind. Theology that is.

It's no secret that the drive behind such trend and approach is the evolvement of science itself through time. From the ancient civilizations up till the modern era. Science have gone from a pure philosophical form into a materialistic discipline and method which deals with a strict set of guidelines and sets itself our observable universe as a domain of definition.
    Science kept expanding in an exponential rate across all fields of nature, till it was capable of addressing every question there is, even those that used to be only addressed by philosophers and theologians!

And it proved itself successful, simply because it works. It needed no fiction tails, nor imaginary constituents to fill in some gaps, nor any sort of hallucinations when in need of help!

Morality, ethics, free will, consciousness, our mental selves as a whole and in detail, all these parts of us and our societies, are now being addressed, explained, and developed by science.
    It's not anymore just about developing machinery to help us do stuff and translate and communicate faster, or about medicine to help us heal our illnesses.
    Science propagated deep in our lives and in all nature's fields and events.
    It addresses everything and leaves no mysteries or room for magical instances!
    There are gaps. But science also proved all other methods and the conclusions based on them addressing these gaps wrong and incorrect.

And it's these gaps that some religions are still holding to!
    Other religions reject science altogether or at least some major disciplines within it that contradict with any beliefs of theirs.

So the question to be posed: why these groups of humans decide to believe such stuff after humanity has already evolved at such a rate in such a way that we know where and how to head next!
    In other words, why stick to the past, and to a way of life already outdated compared to our modern standards, and to trust or believe in certain religious faiths without or against evidence?!

And what would make someone convert? From any religion to other or to atheism and vice-versa..
    Why some people seek answers and do show big interest in choosing a wise and correct way of life while others haven't given any or not enough thoughts and rather kept whatever faith and life when inherited from their family and society?

Does really morality upon which our governing systems are based, and upon which means of communication and handling each other are based, relate to this subject or totally dependent?
    Do we have free will to begin with? Or are we the result of a set of exposures and the probabilistic nature we live in?

This topic really is way bigger than going deep into a certain religion and stop at studying its laws and standards!
    Atheism is about abolishing every religion ever made. And to address such a discipline, one needs to dig deep into many fields. Way beyond theology.

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I understand that many religious people do believe in science and give it its due. However, I've seen it on a personal level, that some of these same people would send me pictures and emails (I live outside Lebanon) of an icon in our village church which is excreting oil. And they start to preach to me and send me quotes of scripture. I'm like, hold on, you, the person that I know who's very logical, is choosing out of the 2 possibilities: 1) someone put some oil without being seen or 2) God interceded and is sending a message to humanity through our little village church; the second option? So when I start to debate this I get very negative and inflammatory responses. This is just one example. So my suspicion (which could be wrong because I'm obviously generalizing here) is that although most religious people do believe in science, they sometimes lose their grip on reality.

Yes, I believe that is one major part of it. I guess the biggest reason to believe in religion is to make sense of the world around us. It's the fear of not grasping who we truly are and why we exist is what drives religious thought into elevating humans and planet earth as the center of the universe. So God made us in his image, there's heaven and hell for true justice, etc. As an atheist, I realize that in my lifetime, I will never know everything. And I will also never know why I exist, and why things are the way they are. So I take comfort in the fact that we are particles in the universe, not god-like.
    Absolutely not. This is one of the major turn-offs I get from religious people, especially devout Muslims. I live in the Gulf and I find this incessant behaviour of some to be annoying and borderline psychotic. I hate preachers and I would rather kill myself than become one. I'm only posting on this forum in the relevant threads, and my rebuttals are only meant to shock-- not convert :) Live and let live, that's my mantra (except for Salafists. **** Salafists). I know some atheists who are annoyingly preachy, and I stay away from them. I also find it hypocritical of atheists who are preachy.

i think this is where we differ in perspectives. i think the idea of a creator of the universe is very scientific. i am quite certain that our existence is not a random chance. the probability that the moment we are living exists by chance is zero. well let's say epsilon. the amount of events that need to correctly line up since the beginning of the universe till now is utterly and ridiculously tremendous. that's not to tackle the idea of a causal universe springing out of nothingness, that simply defies science.

from a scientific perspective, it is more likely that this universe has been created. that by itself poses a series of questions, the answer to which may not necessarily be religion. but the bottom line is that it is curiosity, not fear, that motivates this line of thinking. why do we exist? where did we come from? where are we heading to? these are all scientific questions, motivated by scientific curiosity, it is simply applied on a very abstract domain, but the time will come when part of the answers might become available.

with that in mind, i am not a big fan of organized religion. but i am an avid supporter of some theories that contribute to the ascension and the progress of the human race in an everlasting quest towards perfection.

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Tfaddal fi hal thread:

http://www.oroom.org/forum/showthre...e-in-God-Why-or-why-not&p=1426671#post1426671

Unfortunately we had once a huge thread about atheism full of intellectual posts and input that got deleted since some members over here found it offending to host a thread about atheism on this forum! Yet those very "senior" Christian members criticize Islamists for intolerance!

This tells a lot about how atheists should feel about religious people! Hypocrisy. Pure hypocrisy and self-contradiction.

However, as his is not true about all religious people, as there are intellectual and well educated religious individuals, and even some scientists although in tiny percentages.. It is also untrue about all atheists thinking and acting the same!

So anyone turning to stereotyping, prejudice, and generalization, on either side, should realize by now that this is the wrong approach!
    This must be the most important message to deliver through and to practice. Tolerance and acceptance of others.
    When everyone accepts the same set of rights she/he sets to own self, then we would get rid of many issues and discrimination problems around the world, not just sectarianism and religious bias!
    "My freedom stops when others' begin".. Know one's limits and red lines. Practice respect and tolerance.
    Oppose indoctrination and hatred. Repulsion and intolerance. Isolation and cultural exclusivity!

Anyway, still, through these threads, and any debating platform, there will always be room for discussions and exchange of opinions.
    And nothing wrong in that. Exchange of knowledge and preaching of one's beliefs and ideas, as well as trying to convince others of a certain theory or way of life is never wrong.

We, humans, by nature are social animals. And only through team work and cooperation we survived and evolved into a dominant species. And in order to keep this trait, and enrich it, we need to communicate among ourselves on all levels.

Religion and theology is one of those levels of communication cultures and societies have been communicating at.
    And atheism may be the newest trend, or set of guidelines for a new way of life to all cultures. It simply goes against the practice and belief in all religions and deities and set oneself free of such duties and traditions till humanity makes the next step on the ladder of knowledge and we get to know or learn something for certain to rely on. So atheism main message is to convince people of leaving this level of communication behind. Theology that is.

It's no secret that the drive behind such trend and approach is the evolvement of science itself through time. From the ancient civilizations up till the modern era. Science have gone from a pure philosophical form into a materialistic discipline and method which deals with a strict set of guidelines and sets itself our observable universe as a domain of definition.
    Science kept expanding in an exponential rate across all fields of nature, till it was capable of addressing every question there is, even those that used to be only addressed by philosophers and theologians!

And it proved itself successful, simply because it works. It needed no fiction tails, nor imaginary constituents to fill in some gaps, nor any sort of hallucinations when in need of help!

Morality, ethics, free will, consciousness, our mental selves as a whole and in detail, all these parts of us and our societies, are now being addressed, explained, and developed by science.
    It's not anymore just about developing machinery to help us do stuff and translate and communicate faster, or about medicine to help us heal our illnesses.
    Science propagated deep in our lives and in all nature's fields and events.
    It addresses everything and leaves no mysteries or room for magical instances!
    There are gaps. But science also proved all other methods and the conclusions based on them addressing these gaps wrong and incorrect.

And it's these gaps that some religions are still holding to!
    Other religions reject science altogether or at least some major disciplines within it that contradict with any beliefs of theirs.

So the question to be posed: why these groups of humans decide to believe such stuff after humanity has already evolved at such a rate in such a way that we know where and how to head next!
    In other words, why stick to the past, and to a way of life already outdated compared to our modern standards, and to trust or believe in certain religious faiths without or against evidence?!

And what would make someone convert? From any religion to other or to atheism and vice-versa..
    Why some people seek answers and do show big interest in choosing a wise and correct way of life while others haven't given any or not enough thoughts and rather kept whatever faith and life when inherited from their family and society?

Does really morality upon which our governing systems are based, and upon which means of communication and handling each other are based, relate to this subject or totally dependent?
    Do we have free will to begin with? Or are we the result of a set of exposures and the probabilistic nature we live in?

This topic really is way bigger than going deep into a certain religion and stop at studying its laws and standards!
    Atheism is about abolishing every religion ever made. And to address such a discipline, one needs to dig deep into many fields. Way beyond theology.

Genius

Legendary Member

i think this is where we differ in perspectives. i think the idea of the creator to the universe is very scientific. i am quite certain that our existence is not a random chance. the probability that this moment we are living exist by chance is zero. well let's say epsilon. the amount of events that need to correctly line up since the beginning of the universe till now is utterly and ridiculously tremendous. that's not to tackle the idea of a causal universe springing out of nothingness, that simply defies science.

from a scientific perspective, it is more likely that this universe has been created, and that it self poses a series of questions, the answer to which may not necessarily be religion. but the bottom line is that it is curiosity, not fear, that motivates this line of thinking. why do we exist? where did we come from? where are we heading to? these are all scientific questions, motivated by scientific curiosity, it is simply applied on a very abstract domain, but the time will we come when part of these answers might become available.

with that in mind, i am not a big fan of organized religion. but i am an avid supporter of some theories that contribute to the ascension and the progress of the human race in an everlasting quest towards perfection.

Religion is about everything except creation or answering questions. Instead it is a lie after the other, contradiction after the other

The creation as it was written in the Bible and Koran, and believed for thousands of years ended up being all wrong and proven by science and evolution.
    Muslims still do not believe in evolution and Christians . ah well .. we stretch every God day to make it represent millions of years.

Instead, i open the Kuran which calls everyone else filthy and dictates to me which women i can sleep with, and a surah about war booty, and i open the Bible, it talks about miracles unproven and both promising a lot of pain in the afterlife if i do not follow an invisible man.

These fairy books ended up being offensive political tools to occupy lands and kill infidels and the questions about creation remain unanswered.

The holly books answer no questions of creation ....