Informational Deep Into Christianity

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
The Irish people in their ultimate majority voted Repeal on the 8th amendment related to Abortion last year
Only the Irish people voted in the referendum, unlike the census
that could be considered as the most uncatholic vote out there.

1 in 5 people in Ireland live in a one-parent family (Census 2016)
1 in 4 families with children in Ireland is a one-parent family (Census 2016)
Ireland ranks third at lone parenting in the EU sitting at a percentage of roughly 25% (even highest than UK)
That goes well against any of the catholic teachings

Same for the legalizing Gay marriage (Ireland was the first country to do so):
Ireland becomes first country to legalise gay marriage by popular vote

I do not wish the demise of the catholic church as you're trying to suggest. Quite the opposite in fact.
However, since you brought up the census, keep in mind that with each census the number of people ticking the 'Catholic' box is dropping with almost a 10% decline from the last census prior the 2016 one

i have a small picture that is spot on describing you and the church in Ireland throughout the years:
View attachment 12099
walla ma ba3ref shou badde ellak.
Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 01:30 Updated: Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 06:59​
Irish people between the ages of 16 and 29 rank among the most religious in Europe, alongside Poles and Lithuanians, a new study has found.​
Some 54 per cent of Irish people in this age bracket identify as Catholic, 5 per cent as belonging to other Christian denominations, 2 per cent as being part of a non-Christian religion, and 39 per cent saying they had no religion.​
Just 15 per cent attend weekly religious services outside of special occasions such as weddings and funerals, while 26 per cent never take part in any religious services.​
However of those younger Irish who identify as Catholic, 24 per cent attend church weekly outside of special occasions, while 10 per cent never do so.​
On the question of prayer outside religious services, 31 per cent of young Irish people pray weekly, while the same percentage never pray.​
“When it comes to younger Irish Catholics, however, those figures are higher with 43 per cent praying weekly and 16 per cent never praying.”​
The study of religious affiliation and practice among young Europeans, aged 16-29, was conducted by two Catholic universities: St Mary’s University, Twickenham in London and the Institut Catholique de Paris. Its findings will inform the work of the 2018 Synod of Bishops, due to be held in Rome next October.​
It found the proportion of young adults with no religious affiliation was as high as 91 per cent in the Czech Republic, 80 per cent in Estonia, and 75 per cent in Sweden. In the UK, it was 70 per cent, and in France 64 per cent.​
These compare to just 1 per cent in Israel, 17 per cent in Poland, 25 per cent in Lithuania, and 39 per cent in Ireland.​
The report’s author, Prof Stephen Bullivant, director of the Benedict XVI Centre for Religion and Society at St Mary’s University, notes: “In only four countries do more than one-in-ten 16-29 year-olds claim to attend religious services on at least a weekly basis: Poland, Israel, Portugal, and Ireland.​
“Our other 18 countries are distinctive, despite significant variability in their numbers of religious affiliates, by their relative uniformity of (non) practice. All rank in the single digits, within a narrow range between 2-9 per cent.”​
Among young Czechs, 70 per cent never attend religious services. For Spanish, Dutch, UK, and Belgian young people, the figure is around 60 per cent.​
Some 80 per cent of young people in the Czech Republic and 70 per cent in Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Holland, France and Norway never pray – more than double the rate in Ireland.​
Catholics make up 82 per cent of younger people in Poland, 71 per cent in Lithuania, 55 per cent in Slovenia, 23 per cent in France, and 10 per cent in the UK.​
Just 2 per cent of young Catholics in Belgium, 3 per cent in Hungary and Austria, 5 per cent in Lithuania, and 6 per cent in Germany say they attend Mass weekly. This contrasts sharply with their peers in Poland (47 per cent), Portugal (27 per cent), the Czech Republic and Ireland (both at 24 per cent).​
Weekly Mass attendance is just 7 per cent among young French Catholics, and 17 per cent among young UK Catholics.​

• Advertisement
  • Skunk

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    walla ma ba3ref shou badde ellak.
    Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 01:30 Updated: Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 06:59​
    Irish people between the ages of 16 and 29 rank among the most religious in Europe, alongside Poles and Lithuanians, a new study has found.​
    Some 54 per cent of Irish people in this age bracket identify as Catholic, 5 per cent as belonging to other Christian denominations, 2 per cent as being part of a non-Christian religion, and 39 per cent saying they had no religion.​
    Just 15 per cent attend weekly religious services outside of special occasions such as weddings and funerals, while 26 per cent never take part in any religious services.​
    However of those younger Irish who identify as Catholic, 24 per cent attend church weekly outside of special occasions, while 10 per cent never do so.​
    On the question of prayer outside religious services, 31 per cent of young Irish people pray weekly, while the same percentage never pray.​
    “When it comes to younger Irish Catholics, however, those figures are higher with 43 per cent praying weekly and 16 per cent never praying.”​
    The study of religious affiliation and practice among young Europeans, aged 16-29, was conducted by two Catholic universities: St Mary’s University, Twickenham in London and the Institut Catholique de Paris. Its findings will inform the work of the 2018 Synod of Bishops, due to be held in Rome next October.​
    It found the proportion of young adults with no religious affiliation was as high as 91 per cent in the Czech Republic, 80 per cent in Estonia, and 75 per cent in Sweden. In the UK, it was 70 per cent, and in France 64 per cent.​
    These compare to just 1 per cent in Israel, 17 per cent in Poland, 25 per cent in Lithuania, and 39 per cent in Ireland.​
    The report’s author, Prof Stephen Bullivant, director of the Benedict XVI Centre for Religion and Society at St Mary’s University, notes: “In only four countries do more than one-in-ten 16-29 year-olds claim to attend religious services on at least a weekly basis: Poland, Israel, Portugal, and Ireland.​
    “Our other 18 countries are distinctive, despite significant variability in their numbers of religious affiliates, by their relative uniformity of (non) practice. All rank in the single digits, within a narrow range between 2-9 per cent.”​
    Among young Czechs, 70 per cent never attend religious services. For Spanish, Dutch, UK, and Belgian young people, the figure is around 60 per cent.​
    Some 80 per cent of young people in the Czech Republic and 70 per cent in Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Holland, France and Norway never pray – more than double the rate in Ireland.​
    Catholics make up 82 per cent of younger people in Poland, 71 per cent in Lithuania, 55 per cent in Slovenia, 23 per cent in France, and 10 per cent in the UK.​
    Just 2 per cent of young Catholics in Belgium, 3 per cent in Hungary and Austria, 5 per cent in Lithuania, and 6 per cent in Germany say they attend Mass weekly. This contrasts sharply with their peers in Poland (47 per cent), Portugal (27 per cent), the Czech Republic and Ireland (both at 24 per cent).​
    Weekly Mass attendance is just 7 per cent among young French Catholics, and 17 per cent among young UK Catholics.​

That's the catholic schools effect that are still strong and abundant in Ireland.
    Things change once they get into colleges.

Catholic schools are considered among the strongest schools, and they only teach Catholic students, unless there's availability for non Catholics (which is most of the times not the case)
    People baptize their children just so they can attend those schools.
    Attending mass is required while attending those schools.

Actually, i just learned that they're removing this barrier,
    expect a huge drop in Catholic 'ticks' in the next census or 2
    ‘Baptism barrier’ to Catholic schools to go next year

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    That's the catholic schools effect that are still strong and abundant in Ireland.
    Things change once they get into colleges.

Catholic schools are considered among the strongest schools, and they only teach Catholic students, unless there's availability for non Catholics (which is most of the times not the case)
    People baptize their children just so they can attend those schools.
    Attending mass is required while attending those schools.

Actually, i just learned that they're removing this barrier,
    expect a huge drop in Catholic 'ticks' in the next census or 2
    ‘Baptism barrier’ to Catholic schools to go next year
    or that could very well be the younger generation rejecting the devastation and the despair decimating many around them.

though, how do you suggest one should interpret your certainty about issues that only land themselves for speculation and interpretation? that was a rhetorical question. no need to answer. as i have said from the very first post, wishful thinking, nothing more. you are not alone on board that boat sailing towards oblivion.

Skunk

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    or that could very well be the younger generation rejecting the devastation and the despair decimating many around them.

though, how do you suggest one should interpret your certainty about issues that only land themselves for speculation and interpretation? that was a rhetorical question. no need to answer. as i have said from the very first post, wishful thinking, nothing more. you are not alone on board that boat sailing towards oblivion.
    One thing that is certain, is that the one speculating and interpreting here is not me.
    Wishful thinking ? i do not wish the fall of the church, not in Ireland not anywhere else
    I'm merely pointing out my observation following years living in Ireland and quoting facts and linking articles supporting my claims.

Again, drop all of your accusations on me and ignore all the facts and experiences i presented to you.
    Not even the pope could convince the Irish people, i doubt Dark Angel's warnings of the irish sailing towards oblivion will be any different

1553262113192.png

'A country transformed': How the world's media covered the pope's Irish visit

Varadkar asks Pope to ensure justice for survivors

Pope Francis' speech was 'disgraceful' and contained 'extraordinary deflection', victims claim - Independent.ie

Pope in Ireland: Francis speaks of Church’s failure to tackle clerical abuse ‘scandal’

Foster turns down invitation to attend pope's speech

Official attendance figures from Office of Public Works reveal just under 152,000 people attended Papal Mass in Phoenix Park
    A turnout of 485,000 people was initially expected

1553262221600.png

Lots of those in the picture aren't even Irish.

1553262323888.png

The final number appears to be slightly higher than the original 130,000 quoted by RTÉ, and nowhere near the 500,000 that were expected — a figure which was already less than half of the turnout in 1979. Almost one-third of the population turned up 39 years ago. This time around it was certainly less than 5%, especially when one accounts for the amount of people who travelled to Ireland from elsewhere.

I hate repeating myself,
    my contributions to this subject end here.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    One thing that is certain, is that the one speculating and interpreting here is not me.
    Wishful thinking ? i do not wish the fall of the church, not in Ireland not anywhere else
    I'm merely pointing out my observation following years living in Ireland and quoting facts and linking articles supporting my claims.
    what is certain is that you want to twist reality to fit your very narrow perspective making up all kinds of excuses in the process.
    1) you cannot compare the resurrection of the church in the USSR to ireland.
    2) 78.8% on a census is meaningless because you yourself lied on a census.
    3) the fact that irish youth are among the most religious in europe is meaningless because it is artificially induced by those best Catholic schools parents die to get their kids into.

Again, drop all of your accusations on me and ignore all the facts and experiences i presented to you.
    you got it all wrong, i am not accusing you of anything, it is strictly your behavioral patterns that make the case for your wishful thinking. it doesn't take a genius to figure out the difference between describing reality and making one up.

Not even the pope could convince the Irish people, i doubt Dark Angel's warnings of the irish sailing towards oblivion will be any different
    nothing new about that. all throughout history scores of people continuously drive themselves into extinction, intellectually, culturally, and on all levels. you can rest assured it is not the drug addicts, nor the LGBTQxyz pressure groups, nor the femen chicks, nor the lazy parasites, nor the trolls, who will make it through to write the next chapter. and even if their number increase for one reason or the other, their collective future is just the same, it is a given. it is a large ship and has places for many. it has always been the same all around the world.

The final number appears to be slightly higher than the original 130,000 quoted by RTÉ, and nowhere near the 500,000 that were expected — a figure which was already less than half of the turnout in 1979. Almost one-third of the population turned up 39 years ago. This time around it was certainly less than 5%, especially when one accounts for the amount of people who travelled to Ireland from elsewhere.
    the subject of the pope's visit to ireland has been discussed in length.

I hate repeating myself,
    strongly encourage you to stick to your principles next time around.
    my contributions to this subject end here.
    contributions? right.

subject closed.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member

Montreal’s famed Saint Joseph’s Oratory says a priest who was stabbed during morning mass is expected to survive the attack.

In a tweet just before noon on Friday, the oratory said Father Claude Grou’s life is “not in danger” following the stabbing.

Montreal police say a 26-year-old suspect has been arrested. He was taken to the station for questioning.

Police said the man is known to police, CTV Montreal’s Rob Lurie reported.

Investigators said a call came in about a stabbing at the church at approximately 8:40 a.m. on Friday morning when the priest was in the process of celebrating mass before approximately 60 worshippers.

Shortly after the attack, the Diocese of Montreal identified the priest as Father Claude Grou, the rector of the church.

The mass was being livestreamed by the Catholic television network Sel+Lumiere TV, which airs the religious ceremony daily, when the stabbing occurred. The footage was quickly removed from the website following the attack.

In the video, a man wearing a dark winter coat and a light-coloured baseball cap pulled out a large knife and walked in front of the altar. The footage shows the suspect run up the steps towards the priest.

Grou attempted to run away as the attacker knocked over a candle. The video shows the man quickly catch up to the priest and push him to the ground before he appears to stab him.

Following the stabbing, the suspect dropped the knife and stood up as members of the congregation ran towards him. Three men restrained the attacker while other people went to help Grou who appeared to stand up on his own.

Lurie reported that the assailant slashed Grou in his stomach and the knife broke during the attack.

Adele Plamondon was attending mass that morning and told CTV Montreal that she saw the attacker walk towards the altar.

“I thought he was going to kneel to say a prayer in front of the Saint Joseph’s statue, but he quickly came up the stairs taking a big knife out of his side and I realized what his intentions were so I ran out of the church screaming to alert the security,” she recalled.

Witness Philip Barrett told The Canadian Press that he was sitting near the front of the church when he saw the suspect rise from a pew and approach the sanctuary during the mass.

“I do remember the priest was moving away from the man but it happened so quickly there was almost no time to react,” he recalled.

Barrett said the suspect didn’t speak or call out during the attack and he didn’t struggle once he was subdued.

The church’s security agents detained the man until police arrived. The suspect was arrested and taken to the station for questioning.

Paramedics treated the priest for minor injuries to his upper body at the scene. Plamondon said she spoke to Grou shortly after he was stabbed.

“I said Saint Joseph’s angels have protected you,” she said.

CTV News’ Vanessa Lee said onlookers told her that Grou was sitting up and talking before he was transported to hospital for further treatment.

In a tweet, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Montreal said the priest’s condition was “stable.”

Church staff told Lee they’re hopeful he will make a full recovery. Now 77 years old, Grou has been at Saint Joseph’s Oratory for more than 20 years, Lee reported.

“Everybody working here at the oratory and most of our pilgrims are shocked and very, very sad. As we speak, there’s mass going on in the basilica of the oratory and I’m sure everybody’s praying for him,” the oratory’s spokesperson Celine Barbeau said.

The spokesperson said they have no idea why this attack occurred.

“There’s so many reasons why this may have happened. We do not know why,” she said. “I don’t think it was directed directly to the man [Grou], but who can say?”

Despite the stabbing, Lee said the oratory will not be closed to the public on Friday. She said the lower church, where the attack occurred, remains closed for the police investigation.

According to its website, Saint Joseph’s Oratory is the largest shrine dedicated to Saint Joseph in the world and receives approximately two million visitors from around the world each year.

Lee said the officials at the oratory said they have a security team at the church at all times and reassured the public that it’s safe to visit.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau described the attack as “horrible” in a tweet he shared Friday.

“What a horrible attack at Saint Joseph’s Oratory in Montreal this morning. Father Claude Grou, Canadians are thinking of you and wishing you a swift recovery,” he said.

Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante, too, expressed her reaction to the incident on Twitter.

“What a horrible and inexcusable gesture that has no place in Montreal. I am relieved to learn that the life of Father Claude Grou, Rector of the @osjmr, is out of danger and that his condition is stable. On behalf of all Montrealers, I wish him a speedy recovery.”

Liberal MP Rachel Bendayan, who represents the riding of Outremont, Que. where the church is located, said she was shocked by the news.

“My team is at the church offering all our support. Am on my way back to Outremont to be with you,” she tweeted.

Skunk

Skunk

Orange Room Supporter
    what is certain is that you want to twist reality to fit your very narrow perspective making up all kinds of excuses in the process.
    1) you cannot compare the resurrection of the church in the USSR to ireland.
    2) 78.8% on a census is meaningless because you yourself lied on a census.
    3) the fact that irish youth are among the most religious in europe is meaningless because it is artificially induced by those best Catholic schools parents die to get their kids into.

you got it all wrong, i am not accusing you of anything, it is strictly your behavioral patterns that make the case for your wishful thinking. it doesn't take a genius to figure out the difference between describing reality and making one up.

nothing new about that. all throughout history scores of people continuously drive themselves into extinction, intellectually, culturally, and on all levels. you can rest assured it is not the drug addicts, nor the LGBTQxyz pressure groups, nor the femen chicks, nor the lazy parasites, nor the trolls, who will make it through to write the next chapter. and even if their number increase for one reason or the other, their collective future is just the same, it is a given. it is a large ship and has places for many. it has always been the same all around the world.

the subject of the pope's visit to ireland has been discussed in length.

strongly encourage you to stick to your principles next time around.

contributions? right.

subject closed.
    Denial

you can be read like a book, i saw such reply coming since noon.
    Keep attacking the messenger,
    If one thing is hurting the catholic church, it's the exact same stubborness and denial expressed throughout your posts.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Denial

you can be read like a book, i saw such reply coming since noon.
    Keep attacking the messenger,
    If one thing is hurting the catholic church, it's the exact same stubborness and denial expressed throughout your posts.
    ok move on dude.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

ok move on dude.
    5ayye tab let's meet half-way, can't we at least all agree that the Church (mainly in Lebanon) needs to improve its techniques of outreach and Catechism and start taking an active stance in society instead of a passive one?

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    5ayye tab let's meet half-way, can't we at least all agree that the Church (mainly in Lebanon) needs to improve its techniques of outreach and Catechism and start taking an active stance in society instead of a passive one?
    again, it is a joint responsibility between the people and the clergy, and there is plenty that needs to be done from both sides. however those who are not motivated enough to seek the truth, investigate it, safeguard it and share it, are simply a number and in some cases a liability and a stumbling stone, and as far as Christianity is concerned, numbers were never the goal.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    again, it is a joint responsibility between the people and the clergy, and there is plenty that needs to be done from both sides. however those who are not motivated enough to seek the truth, investigate it, safeguard it and share it, are simply a number and in some cases a liability and a stumbling stone, and as far as Christianity is concerned, numbers were never the goal.
    How are numbers not the goal? Wasnt jesus’ messahe for his disciples to spread out and tell the people about the good news? By wanting to save people, as it is put in the gospel, hetting the numbers is by default the rule if the game.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    How are numbers not the goal? Wasnt jesus’ messahe for his disciples to spread out and tell the people about the good news? By wanting to save people, as it is put in the gospel, hetting the numbers is by default the rule if the game.
    salvation is a personal acceptance. the whole point of spreading the message is to share that truth with as many people as we can. whether they accept it or not is a different story. it is never a matter of numbers. 12 fishermen changed the world without shedding a drop of blood, and given that we are a bit more than 12 now, i think we stand a good chance to keep changing the world for the better wherever we can.

it is not about the numbers, and to quote Christ "not all those who saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he that doth the will of my Father which is in heaven." there is nothing more sorrowful than to see scores of hollow Christians raising the slogans but as disconnect as can be from Christ, depleted from compassion, love, mercy, etc.. i am not judging, but nevertheless, numbers from this perspective are rather meaningless..

but there is nothing new here, Christians have always been outnumbered. the side of Truth is always a bit lonely.

ostwind

ostwind

@Dark Angel I meant to ask you if you ever thought about translating all your religious literature to Chinese. There are 1.5 billion Chinese souls out here stuck outside the Kingdom of God with no key or a password.
    Saying that they are stuck outside the Kingdom of God with no key or a password, shows me how misinformed you are about Christianity.

For the record the key/password is Love and only Love.