DEEP INTO PHOENICIAN PAGANISM

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
Im interested lately in our ancestors religion..
Baal , Astarte , Adone ... and other phoenician gods..
those make part of lebanon ancient history way before all the sects that divided lebanese people ...
im curious about their believes, customs , rituals , traditions and spirituality ..

• Advertisement
  • Mighty Goat

Mighty Goat

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Enjoy the transition of Saturn tonight.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Well this is what we learned in school (and what my old rotten memory still remembers)

. Phoenicians were descendants of Canaanite and spoke a dialect of Canaanite
    . There was no empire of Phoenicia, Phoenicians lived in separate cities, mostly around Arwad (Near Tartus), Byblos, Sidon, Tyr
    . After the Egyptian empire fell, Phoenicians became major traders around the Mediterranean.
    . At the height of their power (from 1200 to 800 BC), Phoenicians were present in present Lebanon, Israel, Lybia, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain and Italy
    . Persia conquered all Phoenicia in 539 BC
    . Alexander the Great conquered Phoenicia in 332 BC, starting with the famous Tyr battle
    . Phonecians shared a lot of their beliefs with Canaanite people and they related a lot of their Gods to stars and planets

Reactions: mem
    R

Ralph N

those make part of lebanon ancient history way before all the sects that divided lebanese people ...
    im curious about their believes, customs , rituals , traditions and spirituality ..

This is interesting, I will answer non superficially to you when I have time but in short let me say that they inventors... They had religion, mercy, resurrection belief. Kadmus taught the alphabet to the Greeks. Phoenicians where the first who invented the Alphabets.
    There are somethings they built like Baalbacks stones that some people think its extra terrestrial.

Ancient Canaanite religion - Wikipedia

Mar-Yam means The Lady of the Sea..

Ancient Canaanite religion
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The land of Canaan, which comprises the modern regions of Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Jordanand Syria. At the time when Canaanite religion was practiced, Canaan was divided into various city-states.
    Canaanite religion refers to the group of Ancient Semitic religions practiced by the Canaanites living in the ancient Levant from at least the early Bronze Age through the first centuries of the Common Era.
    Part of a series onReligions of the ancient Near East
    Canaanite religion was polytheistic, and in some cases monolatristic.
    Contents
    [hide]
    Beliefs[edit]
    Deities[edit]

Ba'al with raised arm, 14th–12th century BC, found at Ras Shamra (ancient Ugarit), Louvre
    A great number of deities were worshiped by the followers of the Canaanite religion; this is a partial listing:[1]
    • Anat, virgin goddess of war and strife, sister and putative mate of Ba'al Hadad.
    • Athirat, "walker of the sea", Mother Goddess, wife of El (also known as Elat and after the Bronze Age as Asherah)
    • Athtart, better known by her Greek name Astarte, assists Anat in the Myth of Ba'al
    • Asherah, queen consort of El. Symbolised by Asherah pole, a common sight in ancient Canaan
    • Attar, god of the morning star ("son of the morning") who tried to take the place of the dead Baal and failed. Male counterpart of Athtart.
    • Baalat or Baalit, the wife or female counterpart of Baal (also Belili)[2]
    • Ba'al Hadad (lit. master of thunder), storm god. Often referred to as Baalshamin.[3]
    • Ba'al Hermon, titular local deity of Mount Hermon.
    • Baal Hammon, god of fertility and renewer of all energies in the Phoenician colonies of the Western Mediterranean
    • Dagon (Dagan) god of crop fertility and grain, father of Ba'al Hadad
    • El, also called 'Il or Elyon ("Most High"), generally considered leader of the pantheon (later conflated with the idiosyncratic god Yahweh)[4]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Canaanite_religion#cite_note-Yahweh.Idiosyncrasy-5
      [*]Eloh Araphel, God of Darkness and the father of Elyon, and God of Beit-Araphel in Ugaritic but in Latin shares its name with Catholic Purgatorium. He is a forgotten God.
      [*]Eshmun, god, or as Baalat Asclepius, goddess, of healing
      [*]Ishat, goddess of fire. She was slain by Anat.[5][6][7]
      [*]Kotharat, goddesses of marriage and pregnancy
      [*]Kothar-wa-Khasis, the skilled god of craftsmanship
      [*]Lotan, the twisting, seven-headed serpent ally of Yam
      [*]Marqod, god of dance
      [*]Melqart, literally "king of the city", god of Tyre, the underworld and cycle of vegetation in Tyre
      [*]Moloch, putative god of fire[8]
      [*]Mot or Mawat, god of death (not worshiped or given offerings)
      [*]Nikkal-wa-Ib, goddess of orchards and fruit
      [*]Qadeshtu, lit. "Holy One", putative goddess of love. Also a title of Asherah.
      [*]Resheph, god of plague and of healing
      [*]Shachar and Shalim, twin mountain gods of dawn and dusk, respectively. Shalim was linked to the netherworld via the evening star and associated with peace[9] (Ur-Shalim)
      [*]Shamayim, (lit. "Skies"), god of the heavens, paired with Eretz, the land or earth
      [*]Shapash, also transliterated Shapshu, goddess of the sun; sometimes equated with the Mesopotamian sun god Shamash,[10] whose gender is disputed. Some authorities consider Shamash a goddess. [11]
      [*]Sydyk, the god of righteousness or justice, sometimes twinned with Misor, and linked to the planet Jupiter[12][13]
      [*]Yam (lit. sea-river) the god of the sea and the river,[14] also called Judge Nahar (judge of the river)[15][16][17]
      [*]Yarikh, god of the moon and husband of Nikkal

Afterlife beliefs and Cult of the Dead

manifesto

manifesto

Phoenicia is the term Greeks used to describe the people who inhabited the coastal areas between Syria and Israel. They never referred to themselves as Phoenicians as they never saw themselves as part of one empire or civilization.

I doubt they had a unitary religious identity. Each city had its own beliefs and deities.

Toul 3omro Lebnen cantonét.

Republican

Republican

Legendary Member
    Well this is what we learned in school (and what my old rotten memory still remembers)

. Phoenicians were descendants of Canaanite and spoke a dialect of Canaanite
    . There was no empire of Phoenicia, Phoenicians lived in separate cities, mostly around Arwad (Near Tartus), Byblos, Sidon, Tyr
    . After the Egyptian empire fell, Phoenicians became major traders around the Mediterranean.
    . At the height of their power (from 1200 to 800 BC), Phoenicians were present in present Lebanon, Israel, Lybia, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain and Italy
    . Persia conquered all Phoenicia in 539 BC
    . Alexander the Great conquered Phoenicia in 332 BC, starting with the famous Tyr battle
    . Phonecians shared a lot of their beliefs with Canaanite people and they related a lot of their Gods to stars and planets
    There is something they try to conceal about our ancestors history: All this navy, at least the most splendid among them, the navy of Tyre, was not meant for trading, but for piracy and raiding. Most likely Elishat --Elissar-- of Tyre didn't escape the tyranny of her father, but only migrated to found a coastal city of Carthage as an outpost for raiding and plundering Iberia and West Africa.

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    Phoenicia is the term Greeks used to describe the people who inhabited the coastal areas between Syria and Israel. They never referred to themselves as Phoenicians as they never saw themselves as part of one empire or civilization.

I doubt they had a unitary religious identity. Each city had its own beliefs and deities.

Toul 3omro Lebnen cantonét.
    They never referred to themselves as Phoenicians, true.

And yeah, they never formed an empire, as each city was governed on its own, however, they shared a lot, including trades secret, alphabet, religion & beliefs, etc...

Phoenicians were most famous for trading some kind of silk or fabric, i am not sure what it was anymore, it has been so long, around 3000 years :p

Republican

Republican

Legendary Member
    You shall be sorely disappointed when you find out that the Phoenicians were never, ever, one people, but many city-states and always divided and at war with each others. And since we as Lebanese glorify our phoenicians traditions we decided to preserve this sacred tradition of back-stabbing, plotting and scheming against the other phoenicians.

R

Ralph N

You shall be sorely disappointed when you find out that the Phoenicians were never, ever, one people, but many city-states and always divided and at war with each others. And since we as Lebanese glorify our phoenicians traditions we decided to preserve this sacred tradition of back-stabbing, plotting and scheming against the other phoenicians.
    I dont know how the common people in ancient Canaan lived, if they back-stabbed each other or not, but one thing is real, they had Advanced Religion practices, (I cannot share them now) they where experts in navigation, astronomy, medical and agricultural ... They knew math before any other, they are one of the 3-4 races on this world whom can be said extraordinary..

Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    I dont know how the common people in ancient Canaan lived, if they back-stabbed each other or not, but one thing is real, they had Advanced Religion practices, (I cannot share them now) they where experts in navigation, astronomy, medical and agricultural ... They knew math before any other, they are one of the 3-4 races on this world whom can be said extraordinary..
    Ma badna nzida halla2

At the end, they were conquered by Persia in a relative ease

R

Ralph N

Ma badna nzida halla2

At the end, they were conquered by Persia in a relative ease
    Not everything is in power Jo...
    Baddak tshouf who backed Persians to conquer Phoenicians and why?!!! Do you know the answer?
    Usually there are 3 forces in a culture, they are power, emotion and mind...
    Canaanite for some reason had great emotion and mind but lacked power... Other races who conquered them had power, or power and mind but surely not emotion especially Jewish-Persians like Jesus called them

Republican

Republican

Legendary Member
    Your claim is definitely extraordinary))
    Mathematics is Babylonian, same goes for astronomy.
    Babylonians placed great importance on Sin the moon god, so watching the skies and figuring out the ebb and flow of the euphrates forced them to come up with methods and equations to predict the movement of the celestial bodies for both practical mundane and heavenly matters.

R

Ralph N

Your claim is definitely extraordinary))
    Mathematics is Babylonian, same goes for astronomy.
    Babylonians placed great importance on Sin the moon god, so watching the skies and figuring out the ebb and flow of the euphrates forced them to come up with methods and equations to predict the movement of the celestial bodies for both practical mundane and heavenly matters.
    When I said 3-4 races one of them was Sumerians... the Sumerians also were experts in stars and astronomy...Its a long story...but Canaanites were more ancient... There is a chance that a lot emerged from this lands..

gramsci

gramsci

Legendary Member
    Phenician are just like any other ancient civilisation when it comes to piracy, struggle for power and domination , colonisation , looting and invading another cities ... vikings are very similar to phoenician in many aspects ..
    but phoenician civilisation have many interestng things .. in commerce , in alphabet ,and their mithology of adonis and astart, cadmos and Evrupa..
    they were the first to use the purple colour on their clothes ,
    their descendent in carthage gave the Roman empire a real hard time with hannibal , before they got defeated...

Abotareq93

Abotareq93

Legendary Member
    Phenician are just like any other ancient civilisation when it comes to piracy, struggle for power and domination , colonisation , looting and invading another cities ... vikings are very similar to phoenician in many aspects ..
    but phoenician civilisation have many interestng things .. in commerce , in alphabet ,and their mithology of adonis and astart, cadmos and Evrupa..
    they were the first to use the purple colour on their clothes ,
    their descendent in carthage gave the Roman empire a real hard time with hannibal , before they got defeated...
    و سبقنا كولومبوس علأمريك

manifesto

manifesto

Phoenicia is one of the least interesting civilizations for me. They didn't leave any artistic or architectural treasures that are worthy of any merit.

Their contributions are minimal compared to Ancient Egypt and the Roman Empire.

I think the Phoenician legacy has been grossly exaggerated by the Lebanese nationalists, in an attempt to forge a separate identity for the Lebanese.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    Phoenicia is one of the least interesting civilizations for me. They didn't leave any artistic or architectural treasures that are worthy of any merit.

I think the Phoenician legacy has been grossly exaggerated by the Lebanese nationalists, in an attempt to forge a separate identity for the Lebanese.
    man you would stop at nothing to squeak and squeal and make sounds so that people would look at you :)

attention seeking could be a symptomatic of an underlying disorder. just saying :)

CitizenOfTheRepublic

CitizenOfTheRepublic

Legendary Member

I think you need to read more about their legacy in some solid archeological literature. Ultra nationalist fiction peddlers definitely have their own version of history but that will not overshadow the lasting legacy of the Phoenician/Canaanite on everything from wine making and urban planning to production chains and math. The real problem with that is they used a better technology than marble carving for writing and in the Levants weather most of these vanished into oblivion.

manifesto

manifesto

I think you need to read more about their legacy in some solid archeological literature. Ultra nationalist fiction peddlers definitely have their own version of history but that will not overshadow the lasting legacy of the Phoenician/Canaanite on everything from wine making and urban planning to production chains and math. The real problem with that is they used a better technology than marble carving for writing and in the Levants weather most of these vanished into oblivion.
    Even the claim that Phoenicians invented the alphabet is debatable.
    Archaeologists found a 7270 year-old tablets in Greece that has most of the letters of the Greek alphabet. Phoenicians didn't exist back then.

7270-year-old Tablet Found in Kastoria Calls into Question History of Writing | GreekReporter.com