• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Feedback Defining the orange room

Wolf

I have been with this forum from 1995
lots of people came and gone since then but this forum stayed. lots of good debate occurred during this time and lots of informative posts.
very good work, keep it up guys thumbs up.!!
however, lately in most threads, many pissing competition are emerging. IMHO, this should be on very tight leash to maintain the high level of discussion. color and name are not important, no matter what color this forum or whatever it is called people are still using it.

O Brother

Legendary Member
lots of people came and gone since then but this forum stayed. lots of good debate occurred during this time and lots of informative posts.
however, lately in most threads, many pissing competition are emerging. IMHO, this should be on very tight leash to maintain the high level of discussion. color and name are not important, no matter what color this forum or whatever it is called people are still using it.

1995? :cow:

Heck back in those days we were searching on altavista for fun :lol:

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
2) Reputation

The reputation of the community is actually the reputation of its members. No matter how many rules we create and how many moderators stay online to implement them, if the members do not realize that insulting religion, religious figures do not really lead to anything and just overall adds negativity to the actual topic that there is nothing moderators can do.
Every subject, law, decree, decision in Lebanon is directly affected and can be associated with Religion. That's just the nature of our country and sadly it won't change anytime soon.
So, i need your help here guys, what should be done to improve the discussions? while at the same time minimizing moderators actions. Or maybe are we just doomed till eternity to debate our religious differences?

I understand how you feel; and, frankly, I find the constant religious arguing draining and depressing. However, and very unfortunately, I do not think anything can be done about it. The religious discussions are just a reflection of how people really think; and, as I've expressed previously, if we want to arrive at truth, it is better to face reality than hide behind fake political correctness.

- Some people constantly spread lies about others' religion, due to ignorance or malice, and those lies need to be addressed.

- Others can't handle genuine criticism of their religion, and can't differentiate criticism from insults. We can't censor deserved criticism simply because some feel offended by it.

- The whole Lebanese system, the region, and even the world, is in a battle that is partly based on religion and people's differing values. It's not possible to have a political debate and not address the different religious values (or lack thereof) that are behind people's concerns, fears, and modus operandi.

I understand the reflex of sugar coating the bitter reality; unfortunately, it would amount to lying to ourselves to gain a fake sense of security.

Le منشار

ouf ouf ouf .... 3al modem :lol:? eeyooooooow eeyooooooooow .... 2eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... teek ... speed: 3.1 kbps
At that time, I was installing C&C Red Alert on windows 95 for the first time in my life and praying it will work.:lol:

O Brother

Legendary Member
I think many here can not be bothered having enjoyable debates they just love trolling :troll: and hating :bucktooth:
What makes this forum like you said, is the members and their contents so in the end it is all about what attracts ppl to this forum is it the trolling and hating or the actual topics!?

So basically it is what kind of content you allow in the forum if you allow trolling it will attract mostly trolls.
If you allow haters it will attract more haters as simple as that!

Now attracting serious debaters by setting rules and I'm not claiming anything here before anybody jumps in!
But attracting these kind of people instead means it would be very boring for some and even maybe a less active user base!

So the question @Jo is what you want this forum to be!
An active forum of trolls or less active forum with quality debates!

You have already given this forum an Identity or added to it..

O Brother

Legendary Member
I understand how you feel; and, frankly, I find the constant religious arguing draining and depressing. However, and very unfortunately, I do not think anything can be done about it. The religious discussions are just a reflection of how people really think; and, as I've expressed previously, if we want to arrive at truth, it is better to face reality than hide behind fake political correctness.

To be honest with you there are rarely any religious and spiritual debates in this forum!
It is mostly attacking each others and attacking Islam in particular instead of sharing good things and debating they share hate stuff and by being extremely hateful!

Drama Queen

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I am sure it can. It is just something that is not easy to do, because you lose existing brand equity. What I am trying to tell you is the current brand equity expresses inherent bias and goes against your professed aims for this discussion space. Sure like i said not an easy decision at all.

One person's contrary opinion is another person's trolling.

Most people here only complain of trolling when it is targeted at FPM and Christians.

But if the target is Muslims and rival political parties, they are the first to cheer for it.

Also what counts as trolling? I often get accused of trolling for merely challenging conventional ideas. :angel:

Battal fi i7tiram :(

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
To be honest with you there are rarely any religious and spiritual debates in this forum!
It is mostly attacking each others and attacking Islam in particular instead of sharing good things and debating they share hate stuff and by being extremely hateful!

Sorry, I can't "share love" towards a hateful ideology that seeks the destruction of my culture, people, and countries.

I can share love with Muslim individuals, and I genuinely do. However, I do not love their religious ideology, and I will continue to challenge their beliefs, for their sake as well as ours.

O Brother

Legendary Member
Sorry, I can't "share love" towards a hateful ideology that seeks the destruction of my culture, people, and countries.

I can share love with Muslim individuals, and I genuinely do. However, I do not love their religious ideology, and I will continue to challenge their beliefs, for their sake as well as ours.

It doesn't work like this!
You need to see the beauty that is!

There is nothing wrong with debating and disagreeing but it is about how one do it!
I wouldn't deny that there are some beauty in Christianity like many other religions which I respect but Islam is the truth for me!
And for me it is definitely not a hateful way of life but a beautiful one!

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
One liners that are only there to derail a thread are trolling, get over it m8

It should not be up to you (mod or not) to decide on the intent of one two three or n liners :)

You should judge them, the "liners", on whether they have profanity or are personal insults. You cannot and should not use "troll" deep or shallow :) whatever that means and whatever your definition of troll may be, as a crutch to suit your whims :)

People write their opinions, and they are theirs. You should not interfere.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
One person's contrary opinion is another person's trolling.

Most people here only complain of trolling when it is targeted at FPM and Christians.

But if the target is Muslims and rival political parties, they are the first to cheer for it.

Also what counts as trolling? I often get accused of trolling for merely challenging conventional ideas. :angel:

Battal fi i7tiram :(

But Jo tells us "orange" doesnt mean FPM bias :)

Indie

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
It doesn't work like this!
You need to see the beauty that is!

There is nothing wrong with debating and disagreeing but it is about how one do it!
I wouldn't deny that there are some beauty in Christianity like many other religions which I respect but Islam is the truth for me!
And for me it is definitely not a hateful way of life but a beautiful one!

@Indie let me share with you this beautiful Qasidah written by a beautiful Muslim man and sang by a beautiful Christian woman.

Whatever "truth" is found in Islam was already given to us in Christianity. Mohammad took parts of Judaism and Christianity, and added his own whims to it, which are not only useless, but hateful and barbaric. By doing so, he corrupted whatever good and beautiful he found in Christianity.

Why should I care for the corrupted copy, when I have the non-corrupted original?

In any case, this is not the thread to discuss these matters. We are talking about whether or not these matters should be discussed at all.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
I think many here can not be bothered having enjoyable debates they just love trolling :troll: and hating :bucktooth:
What makes this forum like you said, is the members and their contents so in the end it is all about what attracts ppl to this forum is it the trolling and hating or the actual topics!?

So basically it is what kind of content you allow in the forum if you allow trolling it will attract mostly trolls.
If you allow haters it will attract more haters as simple as that!

Now attracting serious debaters by setting rules and I'm not claiming anything here before anybody jumps in!
But attracting these kind of people instead means it would be very boring for some and even maybe a less active user base!

So the question @Jo is what you want this forum to be!
An active forum of trolls or less active forum with quality debates!

You have already given this forum an Identity or added to it..

Allow the forum to be what it wants to be. The goal in my opinion should be freedom of expression without profanity or personal insults.

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member

The point of this thread is evolving this forum.