Feedback Defining the orange room

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
The rainbow colors make it seem like an LGBTQ+ forum :)

• Advertisement
  • J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    @Jo i think the results of the poll already show that (no matter the reasons,) this orange room is more a haven for pro-FPM members.

Probably due to:

1. the roots of the forum
    2. the name and branding
    3. the bi2a 7adine :)
    4. some moderation bias in favor of FPM and its alliances
    5. some curbing of freedom of expression, especially for opinions that oppose FPM and its policies and alliances

Unshackle this forum, rebrand it, it will be much more vibrant. Allow more freedom, but at the same time fight harder and more fairly/evenly against all profanity and personal insults. Make sure moderators adhere to this simple rule. Makes it easier for them, and easier for you to assess and manage their performance. Try this, what do you have to lose :)

Last edited:
    Jo

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    @Jo i think the results of the poll already show that (no matter the reasons,) this orange room is more a haven for pro-FPM members.

Probably due to:

1. the roots of the forum
    2. the name and branding
    3. the bi2a 7adine :)
    5. some curbing of freedom of expression, especially for opinions that oppose FPM and its policies and alliances

Unshackle this forum, rebrand it, it will be much more vibrant. Allow more freedom, but at the same time fight harder and more fairly/evenly against all profanity and personal insults. Make sure moderators adhere to this simple rule. Makes it easier for them, and easier for you to assess and manage their performance. Try this, what do you have to lose :)
    Could it be that its reflecting the popularity of FPM in RL? :)

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    Could it be that its reflecting the popularity of FPM in RL? :)
    Not really. and I am positive about this. FPM has a following but this is not the reason this forum is tilted the way it is.
    Run an experiment, try what I am proposing for 6 months. Thank me later when the active users double and the activity level triples.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter
    Again go fish :)

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    @Jo in addition to some objective views, I also have a bit intuition and gut feeling about what might steer this forum :)
    This forum squandered a great opportunity in the past to transform itself. X had a golden opportunity, instead of moving in the right direction he almost destroyed this forum by handing it to tayyar.org. That decimated freedom of speech, drove tons of contributors out, and stamped this forum as an FPM space ruled by an iron fist. In the end you know where that lead the forum and X to. You have done a good job since you took over, but you were digging out of a hole, and to be frank there is a ton more that you could have done from the beginning in terms of shedding the FPM image and replace it with an aura of a welcoming safe haven for clean discussions and freedom of expression for all.

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    so tell me more about the branding.

The name fhemna anno fi Orange, but why the branding?
    By branding I primarily meant the name, and the color scheme especially given the forum hosts a very healthy political debate section.

Basba_aa

Basba_aa

Dear Oranger Jo;

First and most important thing you should do
    DO NOT copy or follow in the footsteps of the EVIL lard butt Mark ZuckerBUG and his horrible Facebook site
    Second
    Change your title from
    Promoting free thoughtful dialogue
    to
    "Promoting Thoughtful Dialogue" or Promoting Free AND thoughtful(considerate) dialogue"

You can't use "Free" and "Thoughtful" in a sentence with out using an "and" or "Or"

Third
    Limit all ads providers to sign Privacy Protection agreements. That means that they may NOT infiltrate your site with crawlers and sleepers to collect data and private information about your members. Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and G+ do NOT have that restriction.
    So PLEASE do NOT copy their pathetic politics.

And last but NOT least
    Most of you are theists,
    But it is my opinion that you should FREELY allow others to express what they think about religion(s).
    That would resonate your claim about being FREE.

Thank you for contacting me, and I hope that you guys will be more open-minded than before.

BTW; I personally and with your permission, would like to start such a thread, where jokes are allowed with respect for personal choices. from both sides.
    The thread would be similarly called "Promoting FREE thoughts" and separation of church/masjid and state/government.
    I think this thread wold be the first of its kind in Lebanon.

Thank you for your understanding and I promise to be a more active member this time around, and hope to meet some of you guys whenever I'm in Lebanon, maybe May of this year.

Sincerely,
    Bas

My Moria Moon

My Moria Moon

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    In a new survey released a couple of weeks ago, 75% of respondents agree that the integrity of sites like Facebook and Twitter have diminished, and 80% trust responses in forums more than those on Facebook. (source)

That being said, this year, I would like to work with your help on improving this community, its political debate and hoping to have a small tiny effect on the overall Lebanese political debate scene.

Keeping the above in mind, the Orange Room is now defined by 3 pillars (open for amendment and suggestions)

1) Identity

As most of you noticed, we have a new logo now, forum structure, fewer ads (that i intend to remove completely) and a clearer statement. (Promoting free thoughtful dialogue).
    The structure is there and we are still moving old topics to their respective section. What do you think about it? If you want to help to move those nasty topics, let me know and I can give you the needed privileges.
    The ads, well they just look shitty, I decided to finance the forum myself with the help of donations/account upgrades.

2) Reputation

The reputation of the community is actually the reputation of its members. No matter how many rules we create and how many moderators stay online to implement them, if the members do not realize that insulting religion, religious figures do not really lead to anything and just overall adds negativity to the actual topic that there is nothing moderators can do.
    Every subject, law, decree, decision in Lebanon is directly affected and can be associated with Religion. That's just the nature of our country and sadly it won't change anytime soon.
    So, i need your help here guys, what should be done to improve the discussions? while at the same time minimizing moderators actions. Or maybe are we just doomed till eternity to debate our religious differences?

3) Incentive

The idea here is to give incentive to members with the most valuable contributions (like @TayyarBeino for example in the SCW thread). Any suggestions here?

Thanks
    Jo
    This forum reminds me of my old neighborhood. New inhabitants move in, others depart and never return, but the neighborhood lingers on as life goes by.

The most rooted members, twisted by nostalgia, bowed by age and moved by the speed of change, remember with awe how it all started once. But to what use,? Even if FPM's fading traces are still spread a little over the place, who cares really, as long as its most important spirit, a sense of unwavering hope, is still here, no matter how deceiving this might sound in some minds these days.

You ask about defining forum's identity and how to improve its reputation, but these are already given, each and every day, and with every new topic and post written by a fool, a troll or a fun guy: the true collection and diversity of our odd society.

A since long gone member once coined the forum slogan "Think for yourself, speak to the world". A nice description of the forum's mission I think but which I like to slightly change to "Think for yourself, speak...and listen to the world".

With your kindness, open mindedness, generosity and hopefully a growing fat bank account, I am confident this neighborhood will remain an open space for every voice that wants to speak freely and to be heard. Diversity is what makes the world a less boring place, even if some restrictions sometimes are needed on @Le منشار 's past passion for fresh blood and human flesh and on @LVV 's harmlessly void opinion about the two tzars, Trump and Putin.

I truly admire and love the way you take care of the forum Joey.

NiceV

NiceV

This forum reminds me of my old neighborhood. New inhabitants move in, others depart and never return, but the neighborhood lingers on as life goes by.

The most rooted members, twisted by nostalgia, bowed by age and moved by the speed of change, remember with awe how it all started once. But to what use,? Even if FPM's fading traces are still spread a little over the place, who cares really, as long as its most important spirit, a sense of unwavering hope, is still here, no matter how deceiving this might sound in some minds these days.

You ask about defining forum's identity and how to improve its reputation, but these are already given, each and every day, and with every new topic and post written by a fool, a troll or a fun guy: the true collection and diversity of our odd society.

A since long gone member once coined the forum slogan "Think for yourself, speak to the world". A nice description of the forum's mission I think but which I like to slightly change to "Think for yourself, speak...and listen to the world".

With your kindness, open mindedness, generosity and hopefully a growing fat bank account, I am confident this neighborhood will remain an open space for every voice that wants to speak freely and to be heard. Diversity is what makes the world a less boring place, even if some restrictions sometimes are needed on @Le منشار 's past passion for fresh blood and human flesh and on @LVV 's harmlessly void opinion about the two tzars, Trump and Putin.

I truly admire and love the way you take care of the forum Joey.[/

I truly admire and love the way you take care of the forum Joey.
    ??????
    I m a moon ? a Tzar Moon ?
    ???????
    But where is my Moria ....
    Oh ? yes in the Black Void ??

Last edited:
    Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    yes you did, by defending the view point of more extremist members that jews have the right to Palestine and that Palestinians should leave. you confused ethnicity and religion. You forgot to think logically that maybe at one point in time many Palestinians adopted Judaism and later adopted Christianity and later Islam.
    If someone changes his/her religion, that doesn't mean they should lose their ethnicity. If I am Lebanese Muslim and one day chose to become Christian or Buddhist or Jew does that mean I'm not a Lebanese anymore, I don't belong to Lebanon ?!

This forum should tolerate all form of opinions, just because the west declared war on Islam under the slogan of "terror", doesn't mean this forum should tag along and allow only non-Islamic opinion to be voiced out and Islamic opinion to be banned, have its posts deleted and threads removed or banning a member of the forum based on the policy of "war on terror".
    "Deep into Islam" was turned into a thread of sarcasm and a pissing contest on the religion of Islam by well known members and if a member with Islamic knowledge enters to clarify a misconception. he's not allowed to do so and he gets banned. At one point in time, the forum behaved as a extremist christian forum with a grain of Zionist tolerance
    Just because some Germans once willingly converted to nazism, it doesn't mean nazism should be tolerated.

Le منشار

Le منشار

Just because some Germans once willingly converted to nazism, it doesn't mean nazism should be tolerated.
    no smoke without fire, people don't just become "Nazi", there's a reason behind it. what can make an artist become the most feared dictator?

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    no smoke without fire, people don't just become "Nazi", there's a reason behind it. what can make an artist become the most feared dictator?
    I don't care what their reasons are. People always...ALWAYS...have a choice how to respond to their circumstances. They can choose good or they can choose evil. But they can't choose evil and pretend it was the only choice.

Besides, Islam was what it was from the day it was created; hundreds of years before oil and gas were discovered.

Le منشار

Le منشار

I don't care what their reasons are. People always...ALWAYS...have a choice how to respond to their circumstances. They can choose good or they can choose evil. But they can't choose evil and pretend it was the only choice.
    True, the response to the circumstances back then was "Nazism". as for Evil, let's watch (what kind of people celebrate after dropping a nuclear bomb):

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    Just throwing an idea ou there.
    why not make yearly awards attributed by the forum?
    if this catches on it would be a great ad for it. Non political awards like:
    • non political personality of the year
    • best restaurant
    • best bar
    • best sandwich
    • concert
    • festival
    • innovation of the year
    • biggest f* ups
    • shame award....
    There is an off chance this would make a competition that would drive traffic as well as steer conversations towards outside politics a tiny bit while keeping the political roots.

Le منشار

Le منشار

Just throwing an idea ou there.
    why not make yearly awards attributed by the forum?
    if this catches on it would be a great ad for it. Non political awards like:
    • non political personality of the year
    • best restaurant
    • best bar
    • best sandwich
    • concert
    • festival
    • innovation of the year
    • biggest f* ups
    • shame award....
    There is an off chance this would make a competition that would drive traffic as well as steer conversations towards outside politics a tiny bit while keeping the political roots.
    The problem is that only topics that serve society degradation are allowed and defended on this forum. you push members to a point where they have no choice but either write what suits your ideas, else they are cornered (repeatedly deleting their posts) and banned.

Mrsrx

Mrsrx

Somehow a Member
    Staff member
    The problem is that only topics that serve society degradation are allowed and defended on this forum. you push members to a point where they have no choice but either write what suits your ideas, else they are cornered (repeatedly deleting their posts) and banned.
    Can you elaborate on how this relates to my post? and how it negates it?
    if the problem is people only active on negative things in your opinion as it is controversial. how does creating a positive competition where members nominate and even guests can vote or wtv the format is...is linked to your ptoblem?
    you are the negative voice you are describing as the problem in this comment