• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Did Aoun commit an act of cowardice by fleeing to France during the Civil War?

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
I know it's an ill-timed question, but as someone who admires General Michel Aoun, sometimes I question the correctness of this particular act.

This is the argument that haters usually throw in your face when you speak fondly of Aoun, and it's an argument I can't easily counter with.

They blame him for failing to notify his officers of his surrender, causing unnecessary deaths in the process.

Is it safe to say this is a stain on Aoun's past?

The Jade

Legendary Member
As much as I have lost respect for Aoun lately, but going to France cannot be considered an act of cowardice.
It was badly managed, that's for sure, officers and troops should have been informed earlier and many deaths could have been avoided.

However, Aoun leaving was a strategical decision.
Him staying would have lead to either his death or imprisonment.

What good would that have been if either had happened? We saw what happened to the LF...
Aoun was still a strong leader and garnered a lot of support around him.
Both christians and free Lebanese needed a leader and they couldn't afford to wait for a new one who may or may not rise.

And even if a new leader would have risen, the syrians would have taken care of him.

LFers and others can say all they want about it, but the guy leaving to France is one of the best things that happened to this country in the past 20 years.
Him coming back however....that could be debated.

GrumpForTrump

Legendary Member
Orange Room Supporter
As much as I have lost respect for Aoun lately, but going to France cannot be considered an act of cowardice.
It was badly managed, that's for sure, officers and troops should have been informed earlier and many deaths could have been avoided.

However, Aoun leaving was a strategical decision.
Him staying would have lead to either his death or imprisonment.

What good would that have been if either had happened? We saw what happened to the LF...
Aoun was still a strong leader and garnered a lot of support around him.
Both christians and free Lebanese needed a leader and they couldn't afford to wait for a new one who may or may not rise.

And even if a new leader would have risen, the syrians would have taken care of him.

LFers and others can say all they want about it, but the guy leaving to France is one of the best things that happened to this country in the past 20 years.
Him coming back however....that could be debated.

I'm curious as to why you have lost respect for him?

JB81

Legendary Member
Many famous generals and leaders have done the same thing; and they still regarded great. Emir Fakherdine have to leave his soldiers; flee from the Ottoman army; and exiled himself to Florence in order to collect support. And he managed to come back to Lebanon and fight the Ottomans again. Napoleon also got defeated in battle ground; yet he escaped the battlefield in order to fight another day.

Had Aoun been martyred that day; the Syrians may still be occupying Lebanon today.

On other note, your thread title doesn't match your opening argument.

The Jade

Legendary Member
I'm curious as to why you have lost respect for him?
- Turned the FPM into a feudal Party
- Failed on his promises to pursue corruption files
- Bowed far too low to reach the presidency seat
- Allied with the scum of the earth

nonsense

Legendary Member
Mon General is no coward. Though cowardice is a bad term to begin with. Its either fight or flight, and it is natural to want to preserve your life.
But let's me wander no more.

GMA was tricked into leaving to the embassy by the French ambassador, who misinformed GMA that some fronts had fallen and the Syrians were up for negotiation. Going to the embassy was no safe feat either. By the time he arrived there and realized what happened, there was no point in going any further. I forget the details and some may correct me.

What is more up for debate is GMA's bet which was against the major political winds of that time. But then the alternative was limited.....and there was no honor in that. However, were the lives of the men and women lost on that day worth the honor? That is something for each person to decide individually. In the end most of those who died, died believing it was indeed worthwhile. And we should honor their memory and sacrifice.

Certainly persons who lost nothing on that day do not have the right to criticize those who did, and certainly not GMA. So don't let them offset you.

The best approach with arguments like that is to turn it into a debate of ideas, not persons. Because ultimately there is always a scenario where any one of us would turn and flee, and another where we would fight.