• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Did i just go bankrupt?

agnostic

Legendary Member
Is there any black market to exchange USD cash against USD certified check to keep in the bank, and at what rate. Same with LBP.

Last edited:

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
Is there any black market to exchange USD cash against USD certified check to keep in the bank, and at what rate. Same with LBP.
You can buy lebanese eurobonds that are issued in USD ...the 100 bonds are selling at 44 usd with a maturity on 2037 and a 7.25% (on the 100) interest rate.
That would be the same thing and its not a black market. you have to 2027, 2032 even april 2020 or 2022

needless to say 100$ of the lebanese govt is being sold at 44$ due to the risk of bankrupty people are accepting 44c on the dollar to avoid 0c on the dollar!

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member

agnostic

Legendary Member
You can buy lebanese eurobonds that are issued in USD ...the 100 bonds are selling at 44 usd with a maturity on 2037 and a 7.25% (on the 100) interest rate.
That would be the same thing and its not a black market. you have to 2027, 2032 even april 2020 or 2022
I am neophyte on finance. Suppose it is still possible to buy Eurobonds with maturity on April 2020 or 2022, does the money return to bank account in Lebanon at maturity or it can be paid cash ?

Mrsrx

Not an expert!
Staff member
I am neophyte on finance. Suppose it is still possible to buy Eurobonds with maturity on April 2020 or 2022, does the money return to bank account in Lebanon at maturity or it can be paid cash ?
Normally you should have a brokers account not sure what options you have in lebanon.
When the govt pays them back the money will fall in the brokers account and you should have the option to send it to your back.
My brokers do not pay out in cash but i am not in lebanon.

I think this is too risky though maybe betting on barcelona vs real sociedad at 1.46 odds may be the safer option. Things are bad...keep your cash and if you want to invest avoid get rich quick schemes and buy decent company stocks that have solid finances and make money long term.