Do Lebanese Christians and Muslims look different?

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

As we know, Lebanese Christians and Muslims are genetically two distinct populations. While Christians remained genetically almost identical to ancient Canaanites, Muslims acquired a lot of foreign admixture during the Ottoman empire according to latest studies. While this suggests that Muslims descend from people who were Christians at the fall of the Crusader States, once they became Muslims they started mixing with other Muslim groups in the Empire, which set them apart from Christians genetically speaking.

Given the wide range of admixtures (Turkic/Asian, Caucasus, African and some European) that Muslims have and Christians lack, it's only natural to expect a phenotypical variation between these two different populations. For example, I don't think it's that easy to distinguish a Christian and a Muslim on an individual level, but they definitely look different as groups. For instance, I've noticed Christians are much more homogenous and have mostly a standard Mediterranean look, while Muslims are much more varied and have a higher frequency of extreme looks (both very dark and very light) that are very unusual for Christians. Imo Sunnis from Tripoli and Sidon, and Shias from the South and Bekaa look the most different from Christians.

• Advertisement
  • Ice Tea

Ice Tea

For example, I've never seen Christians who like these Sunnis from Tripoli.

Typical Lebanese Christians:

Resign

Resign

Orange Room Supporter

I don’t think those in the first picture are Lebanese

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Orange Room Supporter

On the bottom left second guy from the center, and on the bottom right first guy from the center looks pretty much like thise guys from tripoli.

At least get a picture that backs ur fantastic claims

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

I don’t think those in the first picture are Lebanese
    Well, they are so called Lebanese Muslims. Like I said, they vary a LOT because of their genetics, so it really depends on the picture. I could show you some Muslim picture where everyone is blond and blue eyed and looks straight out of Bosnia, like the Rifi family who are also from Tripoli btw.

Another factor that contribute to this difference between Christians and Muslims is inbreeding. Cousin marriages are still very common among Muslims, especially Shias but also Sunnis from Tripoli, and just 1 or 2 generations ago they were probably still the majority. So Lebanese Muslims are severely inbreed and look it, while Christians are much more healthy and harmonious/better looking overall.

I mean, I don't know why the idea that Muslims and Christians look different is odd. Syrians are easily recognizable in Lebanon, because they obviously look different, yet some people still say 'we are the same people'. The same is true for Lebanese Christians and Muslims, we just share a nationality but deep down we all know we're a different population with different histories and ancestries. In more isolated Christian towns and villages, Muslims can easily be spotted. For example, Zahle has been flooded recently with Muslims, Christians can easily recognize them by just looking at them because they simply look 'off' and different. Same in Zagharta, many Muslims from Akkar go there to work and they just look out of place for the region.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

Who’s we and which scientific paper proved this?

I've already posted it.

Remarkably, the significant genetic changes in the Lebanese following the Crusades appear to have been not from the Crusaders and were not in the Lebanese Christians, but were mostly restricted to the Lebanese Muslims. We analyzed admixture LD in the Lebanese in order to date the time when admixture occurred in their history. We found two signals; the first admixture can be detected with overlapping dates in both Lebanese Christians (850–150 BCE, Z = 6.95) and Lebanese Muslims (900 BCE–500 CE, Z = 3.02) and is consistent with finding this admixture in our ancient Roman period samples 240–400 calCE. However, the second admixture was specific to Lebanese Muslims (Figures S12A and S12B ) occurring around 1550–1700 CE (Z = 3.69) and can be detected when Africans and East Asians are used as reference populations. The time of this admixture coincides with the Ottoman Turkish rule over Lebanon and we propose that the Turks, who themselves carry East Asian ancestry (Figure S12C) from their Seljuk ancestors, brought this ancestry to the Lebanese Muslims. The African ancestry was introduced into the Lebanese Muslims most likely via the slave trade in the Ottoman Empire and the prohibition of non-Muslims from owning slaves during this period.

On the bottom left second guy from the center, and on the bottom right first guy from the center looks pretty much like thise guys from tripoli.

At least get a picture that backs ur fantastic claims

I didn't say Christians and Muslims look completely different and that there's no overlap, but as GROUPS we look different.

AtheistForJesus

AtheistForJesus

Well, they are so called Lebanese Muslims. Like I said, they vary a LOT because of their genetics, so it really depends on the picture. I could show you some Muslim picture where everyone is blond and blue eyed and looks straight out of Bosnia, like the Rifi family who are also from Tripoli btw.

Another factor that contribute to this difference between Christians and Muslims is inbreeding. Cousin marriages are still very common among Muslims, especially Shias but also Sunnis from Tripoli, and just 1 or 2 generations ago they were probably still the majority. So Lebanese Muslims are severely inbreed and look it, while Christians are much more healthy and harmonious/better looking overall.

I mean, I don't know why the idea that Muslims and Christians look different is odd. Syrians are easily recognizable in Lebanon, because they obviously look different, yet some people still say 'we are the same people'. The same is true for Lebanese Christians and Muslims, we just share a nationality but deep down we all know we're a different population with different histories and ancestries. In more isolated Christian towns and villages, Muslims can easily be spotted. For example, Zahle has been flooded recently with Muslims, Christians can easily recognize them by just looking at them because they simply look 'off' and different. Same in Zagharta, many Muslims from Akkar go there to work and they just look out of place for the region.
    No offense to Lebanese Christians, but I find that Shiites tend to be more attractive despite the inbreeding. Also the Druze are hot. I think the ratio of hot people among the Druze is 8/10.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    With some people I can tell just by their looks if they are Christian or Muslim, with others, I can't tell at all.

Now that beards are in fashion, it's even more difficult to tell. In some cases I can't even tell an Armenian from a Lebanese from a Canadian :)

I can tell Syrian Muslim women from Lebanese Muslim women, but only because of the way they dress...unless they dress in Western fashion, of course.

I think some genes are more present in the Christian community, other genes are more present in the Muslim community, but a lot of people in both comunities share some genes as well.

Ice Tea

Ice Tea

With some people I can tell just by their looks if they are Christian or Muslim, with others, I can't tell at all.

Now that beards are in fashion, it's even more difficult to tell. In some cases I can't even tell an Armenian from a Lebanese from a Canadian :)

I can tell Syrian Muslim women from Lebanese Muslim women, but only because of the way they dress...unless they dress in Western fashion, of course.

I think some genes are more present in the Christian community, other genes are more present in the Muslim community, but a lot of people in both comunities share some genes as well.

I can't tell a Lebanese Armenian from a fellow Lebanese Christian. I was shocked when I saw Armenians from Armenia for the first time and realized how different they look. Then I digged into it and learned Western Armenians are genetically very close to Assyrians while Eastern Armenians are more closer to Georgians and other Caucasus peoples.

The_FPMer

The_FPMer

I can't tell a Lebanese Armenian from a fellow Lebanese Christian. I was shocked when I saw Armenians from Armenia for the first time and realized how different they look. Then I digged into it and learned Western Armenians are genetically very close to Assyrians while Eastern Armenians are more closer to Georgians and other Caucasus peoples.
    So you're telling me that in Lebanon we don't have the premium Armenians? : (

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Yes...people forget that Armenia used to be much bigger. For example, my ancestral village, which is now Muslim occupied, is very close to Lebanon, while what remains from Armenia, today, is closer to Russia.

Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    As we know, Lebanese Christians and Muslims are genetically two distinct populations. While Christians remained genetically almost identical to ancient Canaanites, Muslims acquired a lot of foreign admixture during the Ottoman empire according to latest studies. While this suggests that Muslims descend from people who were Christians at the fall of the Crusader States, once they became Muslims they started mixing with other Muslim groups in the Empire, which set them apart from Christians genetically speaking.

Given the wide range of admixtures (Turkic/Asian, Caucasus, African and some European) that Muslims have and Christians lack, it's only natural to expect a phenotypical variation between these two different populations. For example, I don't think it's that easy to distinguish a Christian and a Muslim on an individual level, but they definitely look different as groups. For instance, I've noticed Christians are much more homogenous and have mostly a standard Mediterranean look, while Muslims are much more varied and have a higher frequency of extreme looks (both very dark and very light) that are very unusual for Christians. Imo Sunnis from Tripoli and Sidon, and Shias from the South and Bekaa look the most different from Christians.
    I usually recognize them by their corns, theirs have smaller corns but they have a longer tail.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member
    I usually recognize them by their corns, theirs have smaller corns but they have a longer tail.
    see what happens when you are Christian educated at a french school? :p you definitely mean horns :p

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Legendary Member

seriously dude. what on earth do they feed you over there? say banadoura ta shouf?
    i think we have ample evidence now that some people are born with a predisposition for da3ishism and i think they can be recognized by their long ears :p

Last edited:
    Danny Z

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    seriously dude. what on earth do they feed you over there? say banadoura ta shouf?
    i think we have ample evidence now that some people are born with a predisposition for da3ishism and i think they can be recognized by their long ears :p
    These ones eat hornflakes