• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Driver alleged to have killed four kids ran a red light and was on the wrong side of the road, say cops and witnesses

!Aoune32

I'd rather everyone eliminate the death penalty because states shouldn't be in the business of killing their citizens or anyone else's but that's the type of organized society I'd like to live in. Not for everyone I guess. Some of us still want unhinged madmen in charge.

for every action there is a reaction. instead of blaming the reaction start blaming the action. no one would have to react if the action didnt take place.

Danny Z

Legendary Member
I honestly thought this particular argument would get through.
Honestly, I didn't think it would change it for him, I was actually responding to you not him as I knew he's not there yet. Even when you tell people bebop jazz is nice you just have to get your ear acquainted to it by starting to listen to classical jazz, they still answer you that they can't get the beat. They're just not there yet, when they get there they will eventually know it. Same thing when you have them taste fine wine, they will just taste the bitterness in the alcohol no matter how many smells and tastes are in the fine wine, they would just not be able to discern it. They don't know and can't understand what you're telling them, the day they know is the day they will realize they were not mature.

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
not true those who do absolutely horrible things have forfeited their right to live in a productive civilized society and shouldn't pass on their shitty genes
Why would you want your government deciding who meets the criteria to have life or not?
for every action there is a reaction. instead of blaming the reaction start blaming the action. no one would have to react if the action didnt take place.
And that is exactly why we have a set of agreed-upon punishments in advance that reflect both proportionality of the punishment to the crime AND reflect our values as a society. So if a crime warrants life in jail, the possibility of that punishment is known in advance to the person who chooses to carry out the crime. But we don't all run around taking justice into our own hands.

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
Honestly, I didn't think it would change it for him, I was actually responding to you not him as I knew he's not there yet. Even when you tell people bebop jazz is nice you just have to get your ear acquainted to it by starting to listen to classical jazz, they still answer you that they can't get the beat. They're just not there yet, when they get there they will eventually know it. Same thing when you have them taste fine wine, they will just taste the bitterness in the alcohol no matter how many smells and tastes are in the fine wine, they would just not be able to discern it. They don't know and can't understand what you're telling them, the day they know is the day they will realize they were not mature.
Fair enough. From now on I'll start with California cabernets before whipping out the bordeaux grand cru. Though I really don't even know what the parallels are in this context if we can't agree as a starting point that tribal justice is bad.

!Aoune32

Why would you want your government deciding who meets the criteria to have life or not?

And that is exactly why we have a set of agreed-upon punishments in advance that reflect both proportionality of the punishment to the crime AND reflect our values as a society. So if a crime warrants life in jail, the possibility of that punishment is known in advance to the person who chooses to carry out the crime. But we don't all run around taking justice into our own hands.

and I am against it.
I am not calling for the family to kill them. I am calling for the death penalty.

HalaMadrid

Orange Room Supporter
and I am against it.
I am not calling for the family to kill them. I am calling for the death penalty.
Ok. And I'm going to take @Danny Z's advice and just let this go on the hope that maybe one day we can all agree on why a forward-thinking state like Australia doesn't have such punishment even for the most heinous horrific and heartwrenching of crimes.

!Aoune32

Ok. And I'm going to take @Danny Z's advice and just let this go on the hope that maybe one day we can all agree on why a forward-thinking state like Australia doesn't have such punishment even for the most heinous horrific and heartwrenching of crimes.

Australia needs their laws revisited. Too lenient with their laws and its an issue in this country.