• Before posting an article from a specific source, check this list here to see how much the Orange Room trust it. You can also vote/change your vote based on the source track record.

Driver plowed into pedestrians because he thought they were Muslims, California police chief says

V

Viral

Driver plowed into pedestrians because he thought they were Muslims, California police chief says

An Iraq War veteran deliberately drove into a group of pedestrians because he thought some of the people were Muslim, California authorities said Friday.
Isaiah Joel Peoples, 34, faces eight counts of attempted murder for injuring eight people, including four who remain hospitalized. The most seriously injured is a 13-year-old Sunnyvale girl of South Asian descent who is in a coma with severe brain trauma.
"New evidence shows that the defendant intentionally targeted the victims based on their race and his belief that they were of the Muslim faith," Sunnyvale police chief Phan Ngo said.
Peoples appeared briefly in Santa Clara County Superior Court on Friday. He did not enter a plea and is being held without bail.
The former U.S. Army sharpshooter experienced post-traumatic stress disorder after serving in Iraq, his family said. Peoples' attorney, Chuck Smith, said Friday that the crash was in no way deliberate.
"This act was clearly the product of some mental disorder or mental defect," Smith said after the hearing.
Peoples was on his way to a Bible class Tuesday in the Silicon Valley suburb of Sunnyvale when he told investigators he intentionally drove into a group of men, women and children, police said. The 13-year-old girl was hit along with her father and brother, who had minor injuries.
Jay Boyarsky, chief assistant district attorney for Santa Clara, said the charges carry a sentence of life in prison. He said they will file hate crime allegations if warranted.
"There is very appalling and disturbing evidence that at least one or two of these victims were targeted based on the defendant's view of what their race or religion may have been," he said.
Three adults also remain hospitalized with injuries that include broken limbs and fractures.
Peoples showed no remorse after his car plowed at high speed into a group of people in a crosswalk before hitting a tree, Ngo said.
Witness Don Draper said he marched over to Peoples' car after he crashed, and he found the driver muttering over and over, "Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Jesus."
But Ngo said that "he did not behave in any manner that would be considered bizarre," when taken into custody.
Family and friends described Peoples as quiet and polite and expressed shock at his involvement. His mother, Leevell Peoples of Sacramento, said her son had "a bad episode" with PTSD in 2015, for which he was hospitalized.
Peoples was deployed to Iraq in 2005 and 2006.
Peoples was honorably discharged from the Army, and police were investigating the PTSD report, Ngo said. Peoples had no criminal record and owned one weapon, a disassembled and inoperable shotgun that was in the trunk of his vehicle, according to the police chief.

Isaiah Joel Peoples was identified as the suspect accused of driving his car into eight pedestrians in California.
(Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety)

• Advertisement
  • الحرس الجمهوري

الحرس الجمهوري

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    It's becoming more and more dangerous to be a Muslim.
    My thoughts are with Christians and Muslims as they face the threat of extremism and hate.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    My thoughts are with innocent Jews, too, who have nothing to do with the actions of Israeli government.
    "My thoughts are with innocent Jews" - I know, I was pulling your leg.

الحرس الجمهوري

الحرس الجمهوري

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    "My thoughts are with innocent Jews" - I know, I was pulling your leg.
    The Lebanese have absolutely no problem with the Jews. They are even sympathetic to the terrible plight of European Jewry.
    The term "Jews" is often used colloquially to refer to Israelis. So if you hear them say "Screw the Jews", they're usually referring to Israelis, not Jews in general.

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

proIsrael-nonIsraeli

Legendary Member
    The Lebanese have absolutely no problem with the Jews. They are even sympathetic to the terrible plight of European Jewry.
    The term "Jews" is often used colloquially to refer to Israelis. So if you hear them say "Screw the Jews", they're usually referring to Israelis, not Jews in general.
    You have no reason to fear or hate Israelis either.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    It's becoming more and more dangerous to be a Muslim.
    My thoughts are with Christians and Muslims as they face the threat of extremism and hate.
    The fact of the matter is that you will not find a single saying of Jesus or His followers condoning such actions. And no priest will preach to his congregation to go and hurt others. On the contrary, the message Christians are thaught and brought up with is to love their enemies.

Unlike Muslim terrorists whose actions are not only condoned but required by their religion, people who hurt others in the name of Christianity are going against Christ's teachings.

Such individuals are deranged. Them uttering Jesus' name does not implicate the Church anymore than them uttering Mozart's name would implicate the Juilliard School of Music.

الحرس الجمهوري

الحرس الجمهوري

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    The fact of the matter is that you will not find a single saying of Jesus or His followers condoning such actions. And no priest will preach to his congregation to go and hurt others. On the contrary, the message Christians are taught and brought up with is to love their enemies.

Unlike Muslim terrorists whose actions are not only condoned but required by their religion, people who hurt others in the name of Christianity are going against Christ's teachings.

Such individuals are deranged. Them uttering Jesus' name does not implicate the Church anymore than them uttering Mozart's name would implicate the Juilliard School of Music.
    Agreed. But Muslims on the individual level hold various beliefs and don't necessarily interpret Islam the way ISIS does or derive their laws from Sharia. So while Islam may have questionable verses that condone violence, it's inaccurate to portray every Muslim as a potential terrorist.
    The Quran without the Hadith is completely benign and doesn't differ much from other religious books. It's only when you include the Hadith and Sharia laws that Islam starts to become problematic.

But there's nothing in the Quran itself that says you must kill non-Muslims, except in self-defense.

It's time Muslims rejected the Hadith and accepted the Quran as their only true source of guidance.
    Counting on our cool sheikh @Rachel Corrie to start a revisionist Islamic movement.

V

Viral

Unlike "Muslim terrorists"
    Your issue seems to be with the "Muslim" part not the "terrorist" part.
    Do you ever use the term "Christian terrorist" in the same sentence in your speeches?
    Like it or not, this guy's hatred was inspired by Jesus. Please don't tell us his teacher was an undercover Muslim acting as Christian minister.
    he marched over to Peoples' car after he crashed, and he found the driver muttering over and over, "Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Jesus."
    No Allah Akbar screaming here. What gives?:confused:

FYI I'm not defending any religion here. I'm only exposing retards and hypocrites...

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Agreed. But Muslims on the individual level hold various beliefs and don't necessarily interpret Islam the way ISIS does or derive their laws from Sharia. So while Islam may have questionable verses that condone violence, it's inaccurate to portray every Muslim as a potential terrorist.
    I did not portray every Muslim as a terrorist. I said that Muslims who are terrorists, or who support terrorism, can find justification for their actions and beliefs in their religion.

The Quran without the Hadith is completely benign and doesn't differ much from other religious books. It's only when you include the Hadith and Sharia laws that Islam starts to become problematic.
    Muhammad's life example is itself problematic. So there is no way a book coming from him can be benign.

But there's nothing in the Quran itself that says you must kill non-Muslims, except in self-defense.
    Muslims, starting with Muhammad, have portrayed offensive military conquests as defensive. Muhammad considered those who refused to submit to him enemies. When these people rejected Muhammad and defended themselves against invasion, they were to be subjugated and slaughtered in "self-defense."

It's time Muslims rejected the Hadith and accepted the Quran as their only true source of guidance.
    Counting on our cool sheikh @Rachel Corrie to start a revisionist Islamic movement.
    You can't reform what is based on lies.

V

Viral

I said that Muslims who are terrorists, or who support terrorism, can find justification for their actions and beliefs in their religion.
    So where can non Muslims who are terrorists or who support terrorism find justification for their actions and beliefs? Do they borrow the Muslim religion temporarily? Or may be they don’t make terrorists in “non Muslims” style.

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So where can non Muslims who are terrorists or who support terrorism find justification for their actions and beliefs? Do they borrow the Muslim religion temporarily? Or may be they don’t make terrorists in “non Muslims” style.
    Shou 2ilo ta3me this debate? If you have a point make it and top beating around the bush

V

Viral

Shou 2ilo ta3me this debate? If you have a point make it and top beating around the bush
    Not sure why you are replying to me. Are you being protective? Or this is not a debating place?

Is my post offensive to you? Actually I find it offensive to the person you are replying on her behalf.

And, what I really find offensive, if not stupid, offending 1.5 billion people relentlessly because of their faith by attacking their religion and we all know every region has its shortcomings. Maybe one is better than another for one person or another but to go out in public and spend your life comparing apples and oranges is incredibly annoying and childish.

You guys need to get a life.

الحرس الجمهوري

الحرس الجمهوري

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Muhammad's life example is itself problematic. So there is no way a book coming from him can be benign.
    What we know about Muhammad (his personal life, military career...etc ) is from the Hadiths.

The name Muhammad is only mentioned 4 times in the Quran, but then again I've never read this waste-of-time of a book, so I stand to be corrected should anyone know differently.

HannaTheCrusader

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    what he did was wrong
    but the poor guy has been tortured by muslims for so long
    it just triggered him

i wish the victims safe recovery
    and i hope he gets a good pshycologist to treat him from his sufferings

Walidos

Walidos

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Not sure why you are replying to me. Are you being protective? Or this is not a debating place?

Is my post offensive to you? Actually I find it offensive to the person you are replying on her behalf.

And, what I really find offensive, if not stupid, offending 1.5 billion people relentlessly because of their faith by attacking their religion and we all know every region has its shortcomings. Maybe one is better than another for one person or another but to go out in public and spend your life comparing apples and oranges is incredibly annoying and childish.

You guys need to get a life.
    I was trying to tell you that if you had a point you should make it... instead you went on a rant and said nothing of value.

By the way, I am not defending anyone, they have not asked for it nor do they need it. I am however puzzled at how you find my post in any way offensive!