Driving In lebanon

• Advertisement
  • Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Something serious now...

This is the Antelias - Bikfaya road, in reverse.

This is one of the worst roads to drive on, in Lebanon. For some reason, people on this road seem even crazier than the average Lebanese driver.

This road can safely accomodate only two cars. One going up and one going down. Furthermore, it's curve, after curve, after curve, all the way. So you don't see what's coming in the other direction.

Yet, you constantly have people overtaking the vehicle in front of them...in both directions!!! In the video, this happens multiple times in just the first two minutes. A few seconds before the four minute mark, the driver filming the video does it as well, and you can clearly see he is going over the line in the middle. Half his car is in the lane reserved for the cars going in the other direction! And he can see there's a car coming his way, but decides to overtake a bus out of all things!!!

Once, someone not only had half his car in my lane, but his entire car! And as he saw me coming, he kept speeding towards me instead of slowing down!

Speaking of which...not only is the road curvy, not only are drivers making dangerous manoeuvres, but they go at speeds that no sane person should drive at on such roads! If you drive at a normal speed, not slow, just normal, they honk and curse at you.

And as you get further downhill where it's more populated, there are businesses built right on the edge of the road, with just enough space for cars to park, lenght wise, perpendicular to the buildings. When these cars have to get out, they are backing straight into the road / traffic, and trying to integrate the traffic, as crazy drivers suddenly appear out of a curve and whiz by at full speed.

Same scenario when people try to get on this road from a perpendicular road, and have to get in the lane further away from them. There are no lights or stop signs, so they literally have to squeeze themselves in between oncoming cars from both directions and make a sudden turn to integrate their lane.

And let's not forget the pedestrians crossing at random spots (because there are no sidewalks or crossings for them)...and, again, because the road is curvy, they neither see the cars coming nor can the drivers see them crossing, until they are very close to each other.

Pay close attention to what happens between 8:25 and 8:45. The driver in front of the one filming signals for him to slow down or something. Instead of slowing down and figuring out what's happening, the driver filming keeps going, angrily honks at the other driver, who is already overtaking someone, and overtakes him while a car coming from the opposite direction is overtaking someone as well, in that non-existant two-way middle lane! MISH MA3OUL!!!

And it only gets worse from there...so yeah...no :ban:

Big Brother

Big Brother

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Something serious now...

This is the Antelias - Bikfaya road, in reverse.

This is one of the worst roads to drive on, in Lebanon. For some reason, people on this road seem even crazier than the average Lebanese driver.

This road can safely accomodate only two cars. One going up and one going down. Furthermore, it's curve, after curve, after curve, all the way. So you don't see what's coming in the other direction.

Yet, you constantly have people overtaking the vehicle in front of them...in both directions!!! In the video, this happens multiple times in just the first two minutes. A few seconds before the four minute mark, the driver filming the video does it as well, and you can clearly see he is going over the line in the middle. Half his car is in the lane reserved for the cars going in the other direction! And he can see there's a car coming his way, but decides to overtake a bus out of all things!!!

Once, someone not only had half his car in my lane, but his entire car! And as he saw me coming, he kept speeding towards me instead of slowing down!

Speaking of which...not only is the road curvy, not only are drivers making dangerous manoeuvres, but they go at speeds that no sane person should drive at on such roads! If you drive at a normal speed, not slow, just normal, they honk and curse at you.

And as you get further downhill where it's more populated, there are businesses built right on the edge of the road, with just enough space for cars to park, lenght wise, perpendicular to the buildings. When these cars have to get out, they are backing straight into the road / traffic, and trying to integrate the traffic, as crazy drivers suddenly appear out of a curve and whiz by at full speed.

Same scenario when people try to get on this road from a perpendicular road, and have to get in the lane further away from them. There are no lights or stop signs, so they literally have to squeeze themselves in between oncoming cars from both directions and make a sudden turn to integrate their lane.

And let's not forget the pedestrians crossing at random spots (because there are no sidewalks or crossings for them)...and, again, because the road is curvy, they neither see the cars coming nor can the drivers see them crossing, until they are very close to each other.

Pay close attention to what happens between 8:25 and 8:45. The driver in front of the one filming signals for him to slow down or something. Instead of slowing down and figuring out what's happening, the driver filming keeps going, angrily honks at the other driver, who is already overtaking someone, and overtakes him while a car coming from the opposite direction is overtaking someone as well, in that non-existant two-way middle lane! MISH MA3OUL!!!

And it only gets worse from there...so yeah...no :ban:
    I wish reckless drivers would suffer consequences of their behavior alone, but it is often bystanders who get hurt.
    I would never drive in Lebanon. I used to think it compares to Mexico, but these videos have proven to me that it is way worse. At least in Mexico their problems have nothing to do with reckless drivers.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    I wish reckless drivers would suffer consequences of their behavior alone, but it is often bystanders who get hurt.
    I would never drive in Lebanon. I used to think it compares to Mexico, but these videos have proven to me that it is way worse. At least in Mexico their problems have nothing to do with reckless drivers.
    Driving in Lebanon is super stressful. But you can't get around without a car...

You do get used to driving there faster than you would think, though. You adapt your driving to that environment. But it doesn't make it any less infuriating...