Duty on cellphone - 90 days rule

S

Syriac

Hi there

I would like to send an iphone 8 back to my parents in Lebanon. Apparently, there is a new rule that you get 90 days from activation with a lebanese network to whitelist your IMEI if you want use it permanently. It does not matter if the phone is new or old (can be your used phone abroad that you are sending to Lebanon, same thing, no exemption).

If someone knowledgeable can answer my question point by point I would really appreciate it.

1) Do you pay duty on the price you paid abroad (I have an invoice from my carrier) or the catalog price for a listed price at customs ? How can we find the price for a phone ?
2) What is the customs duty rate ? What is the duty for an iphone 8 specifically ?
3) Is the rule enforced or still a gray zone ? It seems Libanpost is in charge to apply it and collect the duty but they seem clueless for the most part.
4) If I send a phone for Christmas, do you think I can get through with it ?

I tried googling around to find some answers (not very conclusive) but as usual nothing beats first hand experience for these things.

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Bumping for great justice, i need this knowledge too!

opium

opium

Hi there

I would like to send an iphone 8 back to my parents in Lebanon. Apparently, there is a new rule that you get 90 days from activation with a lebanese network to whitelist your IMEI if you want use it permanently. It does not matter if the phone is new or old (can be your used phone abroad that you are sending to Lebanon, same thing, no exemption).

If someone knowledgeable can answer my question point by point I would really appreciate it.

1) Do you pay duty on the price you paid abroad (I have an invoice from my carrier) or the catalog price for a listed price at customs ? How can we find the price for a phone ?
    2) What is the customs duty rate ? What is the duty for an iphone 8 specifically ?
    3) Is the rule enforced or still a gray zone ? It seems Libanpost is in charge to apply it and collect the duty but they seem clueless for the most part.

I tried googling around to find some answers (not very conclusive) but as usual nothing beats first hand experience for these things.

thanks,
    A list is being prepared and will be announced soon before new year with the duties to be paid for each phone model.
    Duties on mobile phones is 5% customs, plus 11% vat. So expect the duties to be around usd 100.
    It is 2 late to bring the phone now. New phones that were not registered on the network and which didn't pay customs are already being notified, and this started at least a month ago.

opium

opium

Hi there

thanks,
    Did you open your Iphone 8 before on a Lebanese network? You will not have any problem if you already did.

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    A list is being prepared and will be announced soon before new year with the duties to be paid for each phone model.
    Duties on mobile phones is 5% customs, plus 11% vat. So expect the duties to be around usd 100.
    It is 2 late to bring the phone now. New phones that were not registered on the network and which didn't pay customs are already being notified, and this started at least a month ago.
    So its better to buy a phone from leb to give as a gift?

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Apparently, there is a new rule that you get 90 days from activation with a lebanese network to whitelist your IMEI if you want use it permanently.

This country doesnt seem to amaze me. Lol in australia i can buy a phone from china, ship it here, no tax nothing and place it on our network right away. Wtf is Lebanon on.

Rachel Corrie

Rachel Corrie

Legendary Member
    Apparently, there is a new rule that you get 90 days from activation with a lebanese network to whitelist your IMEI if you want use it permanently.

This country doesnt seem to amaze me. Lol in australia i can buy a phone from china, ship it here, no tax nothing and place it on our network right away. Wtf is Lebanon on.
    I mentioned this in my thread on the exorbitant rates of mobile telecommunications in Lebanon.

Lebanon's Telecommunication Scam

S

Syriac

Thanks for the explanation. Please keep us posted if you happen to get that list.
    I will take my chances and send it. No I did not use that phone before in Lebanon. Worst case, we will pay the fee. Usually the problem is not paying the fee but all the red tape around it (rouh w ta3, where to pay it, who is in charge, etc).

Also, as per this website : وزارة الإتصالات - MIRS apprently you can enter the IMEI to see if it is whitelisted but it does not work...the ones I tried say GSMA approved but not sure what they mean by that.

You also have the decree for more details. (they are cracking down on the duplicate IMEI also).

NMA

NMA

even worse.... if you work in the gulf region and use YOUR OWN ****ING PHONE you still have to pay taxes after 90 days in Lebanon.
    Also the 90 days are like a credit. its 90 days a year. so every time you go to leb and use your phone on the network , you "consume" days from the 90.

so yes *****es, you will pay VAT and TAXES to that shit hole of gvmnt on a phone you bought and use personally OUTSIDE lebanon.

TANKS DAWLEH!

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    even worse.... if you work in the gulf region and use YOUR OWN ****ING PHONE you still have to pay taxes after 90 days in Lebanon.
    Also the 90 days are like a credit. its 90 days a year. so every time you go to leb and use your phone on the network , you "consume" days from the 90.

so yes *****es, you will pay VAT and TAXES to that shit hole of gvmnt on a phone you bought and use personally OUTSIDE lebanon.

TANKS DAWLEH!
    I tried really hard to figure out what the ****es means but i failed miserably :(

J

joseph_lubnan

Legendary Member
    I tried really hard to figure out what the ****es means but i failed miserably :(
    You made me violate my vow not to post in this forum for a while... B*TCHES thats what it means :)

ok now I can go back to my vow, god forgive me :)

Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden

Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    Y
    You made me violate my vow not to post in this forum for a while... B*TCHES thats what it means :)

ok now I can go back to my vow, god forgive me :)
    you’re a kind soul ser! Thank you for breaking your vow of virginity silence in order to enlighten me!

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This is something really bad. So if I wanted to ship a phone to Leb I have to pay fees up to 15%?
    This is ****ing ridiculous. This country is dense mate.
    And where have you heard of people being forced to provide photocopies of their ID or passport to some random cell phone shops when they buy a pre-paid card? Ridiculous.

Also, good luck figuring out what you get for what you pay. I just can't wrap my head around their system.

Raficoo

Raficoo

And where have you heard of people being forced to provide photocopies of their ID or passport to some random cell phone shops when they buy a pre-paid card? Ridiculous.
    Actually, in Poland they started this system about 2 years ago, if you plan on using your line for the long term, you gotta register your name (by showing ID or passport) so that it can be tied to that account. The main reason was because of terrorism threats back then in Europe and this method still applies today, but there is no such thing as imei registration there.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Actually, in Poland they started this system about 2 years ago, if you plan on using your line for the long term, you gotta register your name (by showing ID or passport) so that it can be tied to that account. The main reason was because of terrorism threats back then in Europe and this method still applies today, but there is no such thing as imei registration there.
    I understand it's for security reasons, but they should figure out a way to do registrations with a government agency, instead of forcing us to give ID to random people.

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Also, good luck figuring out what you get for what you pay. I just can't wrap my head around their system.
    This system is in Australia. You need to show your passport or some pic ID. I think its related to terrorism.

Indie

Indie

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    This system is in Australia. You need to show your passport or some pic ID. I think its related to terrorism.
    Do you also do it at the phone store or with the government?

Aoune32!

Aoune32!

Do you also do it at the phone store or with the government?
    Phone store. they wont give me a sim card if i dont have some sort of id. Its a new thing maybe like 2-3 years.

Raficoo

Raficoo

I understand it's for security reasons, but they should figure out a way to do registrations with a government agency, instead of forcing us to give ID to random people.
    Well the least 'randomly giving ID info to strangers' type of way is doing the registration at an official outlet of the telecom company with their employees. If you think about it, what's the difference between this and say..... someone showing their ID to confirm their 18+ age when buying alcohol? Both done to obey their respective countries' laws and regulations. Since this is a country's security matter, I'm sure there is a cooperation between the governments and the telecoms and shops that sell the cards, so there must be some regulation regarding the customer's privacy when you show a shop clerk your ID to register your line.