Parliamentary elections 2018 Elections: Beirut 1 district

B

butters

Well-Known Member
@Iron Maiden: I'm surely disappointed. Although, again, it was within expectations. The are plenty of things to think about and learn from. First, the ~30% turnout. Why was the voter turnout so low? Were the remaining 70% undecided, apathetic, or just completely absent altogether? If they were undecided, how could we convince them to fall on our side of the fence? Those 70% are extremely important, and will definitely be the focus of the next election, not just for the civil movement, but for every other party as well.
Some personal notes:
1. I don't think I'll be alone in saying that KullunaWatani/LiBaladi had very little presence in Beirut. They were completely overshadowed by everyone else. People were somewhat aware of them, but had little to no idea as to who they were and what they stood for. They just didn't work on their public image. Yacoubian was the most recognizable due to, well, we all know why, but that was it.
2. Because of #1, they should work super hard to reach as many influencers and fence-sitters as they can before the next election. They should have more presence, more public discussions, more people to recognize and represent them. Most importantly, they shouldn't actively attempt to draw people away from other parties, because it's a waste of time and resources. It's something that should happen naturally.
And lots of other things... They could also look at forging some alliances in regards to goals such as civil rights, green energy, Syrian refugee crisis, and sovereignty, all of which they share with other parties (but not all of the major ones, obviously) but those are super long subjects, and alliances require careful consideration. For sure though, the party won't stay the same as they are now.

@oldschool: I doesn't seem like you care about what we have to say in the least. You're offended that we simply exist.
 
  • Advertisement
  • Iron Maiden

    Iron Maiden

    Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    @Iron Maiden: I'm surely disappointed. Although, again, it was within expectations. The are plenty of things to think about and learn from. First, the ~30% turnout. Why was the voter turnout so low? Were the remaining 70% undecided, apathetic, or just completely absent altogether? If they were undecided, how could we convince them to fall on our side of the fence? Those 70% are extremely important, and will definitely be the focus of the next election, not just for the civil movement, but for every other party as well.
    Some personal notes:
    1. I don't think I'll be alone in saying that KullunaWatani/LiBaladi had very little presence in Beirut. They were completely overshadowed by everyone else. People were somewhat aware of them, but had little to no idea as to who they were and what they stood for. They just didn't work on their public image. Yacoubian was the most recognizable due to, well, we all know why, but that was it.
    2. Because of #1, they should work super hard to reach as many influencers and fence-sitters as they can before the next election. They should have more presence, more public discussions, more people to recognize and represent them. Most importantly, they shouldn't actively attempt to draw people away from other parties, because it's a waste of time and resources. It's something that should happen naturally.
    And lots of other things... They could also look at forging some alliances in regards to goals such as civil rights, green energy, Syrian refugee crisis, and sovereignty, all of which they share with other parties (but not all of the major ones, obviously) but those are super long subjects, and alliances require careful consideration. For sure though, the party won't stay the same as they are now.

    @oldschool: I doesn't seem like you care about what we have to say in the least. You're offended that we simply exist.
    I beg to differ:
    They were very well known in B1 many of them through their work and involvement in the municipal elections. Thats on a personal lvl.
    But you're right on the electoral level people did not know what they stood for nor where their funding was coming from especially those from sabaa.
    If they wanted to get something done they should have followed the podemos example and campaigned through the streets like mad dogs but they didn't. their campaign was very tante achrafieh oriented ie upper middle class voters, mostly young and those who read mondanité.
    As for the 70% figure its mostly because many B1 voters live outside lebanon and did not register or are too busy doing somerhing else while the rest 20% or so didnt care enough or lost hope like the rest of lebanon.
     
    Dark Angel

    Dark Angel

    Legendary Member
    @Iron Maiden: I'm surely disappointed. Although, again, it was within expectations. The are plenty of things to think about and learn from. First, the ~30% turnout. Why was the voter turnout so low? Were the remaining 70% undecided, apathetic, or just completely absent altogether? If they were undecided, how could we convince them to fall on our side of the fence? Those 70% are extremely important, and will definitely be the focus of the next election, not just for the civil movement, but for every other party as well.
    Some personal notes:
    1. I don't think I'll be alone in saying that KullunaWatani/LiBaladi had very little presence in Beirut. They were completely overshadowed by everyone else. People were somewhat aware of them, but had little to no idea as to who they were and what they stood for. They just didn't work on their public image. Yacoubian was the most recognizable due to, well, we all know why, but that was it.
    2. Because of #1, they should work super hard to reach as many influencers and fence-sitters as they can before the next election. They should have more presence, more public discussions, more people to recognize and represent them. Most importantly, they shouldn't actively attempt to draw people away from other parties, because it's a waste of time and resources. It's something that should happen naturally.
    And lots of other things... They could also look at forging some alliances in regards to goals such as civil rights, green energy, Syrian refugee crisis, and sovereignty, all of which they share with other parties (but not all of the major ones, obviously) but those are super long subjects, and alliances require careful consideration. For sure though, the party won't stay the same as they are now.

    @oldschool: I doesn't seem like you care about what we have to say in the least. You're offended that we simply exist.
    why do you claim people had little to no idea as to who they are and what they stood for? if it was as you claim they would have gotten more than a single candidate elected. the better statement would be: because people knew exactly what they stand for, they have gotten only one candidate elected.
     
    AtheistForJesus

    AtheistForJesus

    Well-Known Member
    That was a joke question but sure.

    my vote also went to someone i didnt think would make it and in the end he didnt.

    Are u disapointed? Any lessons for next elections?
    I believe there's a psychological reason behind the low turnout.
    When you know your favorite candidate is going to lose, you feel less motivated to go cast your vote.
    People don't like to lose. That's how the human psyche is constructed.

    But if you go knock on people's houses and ask them who they would vote for, you'd be amazed by the number of people who support Kulluna Watani.
     
    Dark Angel

    Dark Angel

    Legendary Member
    OK, so I watched until 4:45 and I have to say I agree with every single word she said.
    Shu fi ghalat bi 7akya?
    she has no clue about most the major topics she was talking about. the return of the refugees, the right of the palestinians to ownership, HAs fight in syria, paying back the public debt from the income of the state and not from taxes, no relations with syria until the syrian regime becomes democratic, etc.. and utterly clueless on all these and other primary topics, which makes most of her stances rather suicidal. she is just another clueless snowflake.
     
    Iron Maiden

    Iron Maiden

    Paragon of Bacon
    Staff member
    I believe there's a psychological reason behind the low turnout.
    When you know your favorite candidate is going to lose, you feel less motivated to go cast your vote.
    People don't like to lose. That's how the human psyche is constructed.

    But if you go knock on people's houses and ask them who they would vote for, you'd be amazed by the number of people who support Kulluna Watani.
    Do u believe people were thinking murr brother was going to win or hikmat deeb was going to win or that dentist wats his name vs amin gemayel was going to win when they were casting their votes in thiseelections knowing the odds?

    No, but they still went because theres a cause, an ideological fight behind it. Kulluna watani only skimmed the cause and dud not get people behind it.

    Also the whole district had very low turnout and not only for kulluns watani
     
    AtheistForJesus

    AtheistForJesus

    Well-Known Member
    Do u believe people were thinking murr brither was going to win ir himat deeb was going to win ir that dentist wats his name vs amin gemayel was going to win when they were casting their vites?

    No, but they still went because theres a cause, an ideological fight behind it. Kulluna watani only skimmed the cause and dud not get people behind it.

    Also the whole dustrict had very low turnout and not only for kulluns watani

    If only 28% voted in Beirut 1, doesn't that essentially mean that the elect MPS are not truly representative of the district?
     
    B

    butters

    Well-Known Member
    why do you claim people had little to no idea as to who they are and what they stood for? if it was as you claim they would have gotten more than a single candidate elected. the better statement would be: because people knew exactly what they stand for, they have gotten only one candidate elected.
    That's a very black & white way to view the world. Yes, some people got spooked by some of their views (such as homosexuality), but that's definitely not the only reason why they didn't get more votes. Reality is much more complex and nuanced than a basic fallacy.
     
    Nasser

    Nasser

    Well-Known Member
    Staff member
    OK, so I watched until 4:45 and I have to say I agree with every single word she said.
    Shu fi ghalat bi 7akya?
    I do agree with most of what she had said too.
    If I vote in Beirut1, I'd have considered revisiting my decision of not voting in a secterian system and would have probably gave her my vote.

    Her stances on secularism, freedoms and civil rights are more than enough for me to vote for her. And no matter how clueless "some" would claim she is, she would still do better job than almost all of our corrupt secterian political class.

    We need more real secularists like her, not secterian parties who claim to be while they're fanatic as hell.
     
    O

    oldschool

    Member
    Butters I respect your way or conversation, honestly. After reading your posts I regret how I talked to you.

    We discuss a variety of topics here and you're welcome to give your opinion about any of them.

    What I objected to is the insinuation that voting for these people makes their voter different or somehow special from the rest.

    I give my opinion about every topic, I don't say I voted for fpm come hear why.

    I apologise if I was rude. But the special people I've met in the last 30 years were all fpmers fighting against occupation and militias and corruption while the likes of joumana Haddad ma Ken talee sawton.
     
    Aoune32!

    Aoune32!

    Well-Known Member
    Butters I respect your way or conversation, honestly. After reading your posts I regret how I talked to you.

    We discuss a variety of topics here and you're welcome to give your opinion about any of them.

    What I objected to is the insinuation that voting for these people makes their voter different or somehow special from the rest.

    I give my opinion about every topic, I don't say I voted for fpm come hear why.

    I apologise if I was rude. But the special people I've met in the last 30 years were all fpmers fighting against occupation and militias and corruption while the likes of joumana Haddad ma Ken talee sawton.
    who you speaking to bro??
     
    Dark Angel

    Dark Angel

    Legendary Member
    That's a very black & white way to view the world. Yes, some people got spooked by some of their views (such as homosexuality), but that's definitely not the only reason why they didn't get more votes. Reality is much more complex and nuanced than a basic fallacy.
    please do share. it is however quite interesting that you seem to know exactly why the people did not vote for them, and it is also quite interesting that you deduced from my two lines that i was referring to homosexuality, make sure to use your supernatural abilities for good, and remember, with great powers comes great responsibility :p
     
    Dark Angel

    Dark Angel

    Legendary Member
    Sta7let tjeeb seertet Israel. law kelme. Hayda Ziad Abs keef de3ema? :rolleyes:
    it is not simply that, it is how she addressed the major issues, it is true she had no time to elaborate, but the approach is scary destructive to say the least. she simply has no clue what the implications of many of her stances are. she is a true social justice anarchist with all the implications of the term.
     
    Dark Angel

    Dark Angel

    Legendary Member
    it seems the official result for beirut 1 are out.

    FPM's beirut el 2oula el qawiya has 18373 votes
    kulluna watani has 6842 votes

    the final hassel is 5358

    which gives FPM on the list 3.429
    while kulluna watani has 1.277

    the difference in the number of votes for the highest fraction is ((0.429 - 0.277) * 5358) = 814 votes!

    so it is not a matter of few dozen votes as they were originally claiming, the difference is more than 800 votes in favor of FPM's list.

    case closed.
     
    Top