Electricite de Zahle (EDZ) to provide Zahle and its surroundings with 24/24 electricity

Jo

Administrator
Master Penguin
So, i guess you are seeing the ads here on the forum about it.

EDZ have already started providing Zahle with a 24 on 24 electricity. According to their facebook page, they started with the trial period and will soon launch it officially.

10996109_1621853921377173_750324473306878508_n.jpg?oh=20b34737e0f04c2e146a7884e22df6a6&oe=554DF9C0

10968523_1619188508310381_8939381303794727052_n.jpg?oh=b7281d8377a658c19f9d8a0a0b5c2f98&oe=558510E5

From facebook:

قريبا زحلة و جوارها رح ينوروا، و بفضل كل واحد منكن رح نقدر نوفي بوعدنا. حاليا، دخلنا بمرحلة تجريبية و قريبا منبلغكن رسميا بانطلاقة المشروع 24/24.

Someone called Abou Bachir posted this recently on his facebook profile:

انا حاسس حالي انو انا مش بلبنان بس الشباب بشركة كهرباء زحلة اكدولي انو البلد بعد في اوادم انا تعطلت عندي الكرباء بمنطقة كتير عالي اتصلت فيهن قلولي نصف ساعة بنكون عندك انا ضحكت وما صدقت بس وصلو وصلحو العطل بأقل من ٢٠ دقيقة ومش بس ما قبضوا مصاري فنجان شاي ما قبلو يشربوا قالو في ناس بعد بدنا نصلحلن عن جد الله يعطيهن العافي ويقويك يا اسعد نكد

16829_798475436911769_1074418614950677904_n.jpg?oh=b35dbc0cb3df0845e92e38f810448034&oe=55480E24

10410260_798475480245098_8945406968967518464_n.jpg?oh=bd758ff56a5bbd73f679af925063dba4&oe=5585D52C&__gda__=1435520326_30fbe9ff9ce3ee927c01d1df4ebb317a

Source: https://www.facebook.com/bachir.saghbiny/posts/798477063578273

• Advertisement
  • Raficoo

Fine Project, now if only people could establish say.. Electricite de Sidon, Electricite de Beirut, Electricite de Jounieh, Electricite de Byblos, Electricite de Tyr, Electricite de Tripoli, etc.... that'd be fine as well:dance:

HannaTheCrusader

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Poor guy

the generator cabal keep shooting his transformers

I have to give it to Assad, he has been at it for decades and all he got was Stiscks and problems from the govt

i wish his project the best
    he was on NTV last month and explained it all
    he brought big generators to give power and it's way cheaper than the ishteeraq

the gen cabal almost beat him up in that episode. Most are ouwat by the way

Robin Hood

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    So, i guess you are seeing the ads here on the forum about it.

EDZ have already started providing Zahle with a 24 on 24 electricity. According to their facebook page, they started with the trial period and will soon launch it officially.

10996109_1621853921377173_750324473306878508_n.jpg?oh=20b34737e0f04c2e146a7884e22df6a6&oe=554DF9C0

10968523_1619188508310381_8939381303794727052_n.jpg?oh=b7281d8377a658c19f9d8a0a0b5c2f98&oe=558510E5

From facebook:

قريبا زحلة و جوارها رح ينوروا، و بفضل كل واحد منكن رح نقدر نوفي بوعدنا. حاليا، دخلنا بمرحلة تجريبية و قريبا منبلغكن رسميا بانطلاقة المشروع 24/24.

Someone called Abou Bachir posted this recently on his facebook profile:

انا حاسس حالي انو انا مش بلبنان بس الشباب بشركة كهرباء زحلة اكدولي انو البلد بعد في اوادم انا تعطلت عندي الكرباء بمنطقة كتير عالي اتصلت فيهن قلولي نصف ساعة بنكون عندك انا ضحكت وما صدقت بس وصلو وصلحو العطل بأقل من ٢٠ دقيقة ومش بس ما قبضوا مصاري فنجان شاي ما قبلو يشربوا قالو في ناس بعد بدنا نصلحلن عن جد الله يعطيهن العافي ويقويك يا اسعد نكد

16829_798475436911769_1074418614950677904_n.jpg?oh=b35dbc0cb3df0845e92e38f810448034&oe=55480E24

10410260_798475480245098_8945406968967518464_n.jpg?oh=bd758ff56a5bbd73f679af925063dba4&oe=5585D52C&__gda__=1435520326_30fbe9ff9ce3ee927c01d1df4ebb317a

Source: https://www.facebook.com/bachir.saghbiny/posts/798477063578273
    Will the motors mafia allow it?

Bandar

Orange Room Supporter
    Privatize the electricity sector, we will have 24/24 in most of Lebanon by the end of the year.

EDL is just a house of crooks collecting tax money for doing nothing.

Privatize the electricity sector, we will have 24/24 in most of Lebanon by the end of the year. EDL is just a house of crooks collecting tax money for doing nothing.
    Sure, we'll privatize it... After we make it worth selling at a price that benefits taxpayers unlike the crooks who intentionally ran it to the ground so they can buy it cheap and make profits at the expense of the taxpayers.

Amirkani

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Fine Project, now if only people could establish say.. Electricite de Sidon, Electricite de Beirut, Electricite de Jounieh, Electricite de Byblos, Electricite de Tyr, Electricite de Tripoli, etc.... that'd be fine as well:dance:
    There is already an Electricite de Byblos :) and an Electricite d'Aley for that matter :)

While I support the Zahle project as a stopgap measure, it is not to be praised as a good or long-term solution.

Yes EDZ is better for the consumers now than the generators mafia but that does not make them saints or saviors or their solution a good or efficient one. It looks good now but not too far in the future, we will look back and realize it is a bad and very expensive solution. EDZ is not doing it to better serve the consumers... they're is doing it to protect their own interests for the long-term. We might end up having to pay them compensation just like we had to pay Fattoush for his quarries.

EDZ are doing a good job marketing themselves as "the" saviors but they're far from it. Basically they're selling us that "el-ke7el a7la min el-3ama". Of course it is... but is it really what we should be seeking or aiming for? EDZ is deceitful in that they're advocating their solution as the best and final one. Well, it is not close to being the best but the most dangerous part is that it is being promoted as a "final" one.

I hate to act like others in Lebanon and just throw accusations without justifications. Here are my arguments:
    - EDZ is a monopoly. They were given long ago a long-term concession and exclusive rights to electricity "distribution" in Zahle as a political favor, not out of need.
    - Legally, even with the concession/monopoly, EDZ was not granted and does not have the right to "generate" electricity. The right to produce electricity is reserved legally to the State (EDL).
    - Yes EDL is another monopoly. I am against monopolies in general but if one is forced on us, I would much rather see it in the hands of the State than a for-profit private entity.
    - EDZ complains about and attacks EDL's monopoly on generation... yet, they conveniently forget and defend their own smaller monopoly on distribution in Zahle. I suspect that if they start producing electricity, they will use it to somehow claim later having had a right to produce electricity... and if they are asked to stop producing they will certainly ask for compensation/reparations just like Fattoush and Dalloul (cellular) did.

It helps to know the economics of the whole thing to understand why I am saying it is only good as a short-term stopgap solution but bad long-term. The costs and rates I will mention are approximate so don't hold me to them to the penny... but they are close enough to demonstrate my point:

- It costs EDL approx. 18-20 cents per kWh generated. EDL sells electricity to its own direct consumers at a big loss and a rate of approx. 10 cents per kWh, Basically the State is subsidizing 50% of every consumer's electricity bill. Granted this is no fault of the consumer but due to many deficiencies in EDL's and the State's operations.

- EDZ buys its electricity at half the rate (approx. 5 cents) it charges its own consumers. This translates into an EDL loss of approx. 15 cents per kWh instead of the 10 cents it looses in other areas. The extra 5 cents in EDL losses are not benefiting the consumers or reducing their bills but going straight to EDZ' pockets.

- I don't have numbers but I can guesstimate that EDZ will sell electricity from its new generation project for a rate over 20 cents per kWh. I am sure this is much better than what the generator owners are charging the consumer now but much higher than what EDL charges (around 10 cents).

- EDL's generation cost is very high now due to their inefficient and old plants. When (and if) EDL finishes modernizing their plants and operations, it is conceivable and expected that their cost would drop from 18-20 cents to 6-8 cents. This means that EDL should be able to keep its selling rate at its current 10 cents/kWh or a bit higher and become profitable or break even.

- EDL is not going to accept selling electricity to EDZ at 5 cents for much longer. And if EDZ starts selling now their own generated electricity at 20 cents, they're not going to accept reducing their rates to match EDL's. And definitely the Zahle consumers will not accept paying EDZ double EDL's rates when EDL becomes able to provide Zahle with electricity 24/24 (yeah ok it's being delayed sabotaged but it will happen). In short, we're setting ourselves up for a big conflict and a legal and political quagmire.

Yes, I support the EDZ project as a stopgap measure but only if it is made clear to them (legally, politically and operationally) that they're making this big investment at their own risk and that it shouldn't constitute any new concession or perpetuate the old one. I don't want to hear later on that they did it to benefit the consumer or they were granted implicit rights that entitle them to compensation.

---------------------------------------------------

JeanH

Orange Room Supporter
    well with federalism you will pretty much have that , plus...you dont pay, you dont get any :D:D

lebanese1

Legendary Member
    There is already an Electricite de Byblos :) and an Electricite d'Aley for that matter :)
    And definitely the Zahle consumers will not accept paying EDZ double EDL's rates when EDL becomes able to provide Zahle with electricity 24/24 (yeah ok it's being delayed sabotaged but it will happen). In short, we're setting ourselves up for a big conflict and a legal and political quagmire.

---------------------------------------------------
    Can you please brief us regarding what happenned to bassil's electricity plan? why is the construction of the 3 power plants stopped and untill when? why is FPM TOTALLY QUIET about it? and based on what are you sure that 24/24 electricity will happen although there isn't any positive sign untill now? thanks for the explanation!

Amirkani

Legendary Member
    Orange Room Supporter
    Can you please brief us regarding what happenned to bassil's electricity plan? why is the construction of the 3 power plants stopped and untill when? why is FPM TOTALLY QUIET about it? and based on what are you sure that 24/24 electricity will happen although there isn't any positive sign untill now? thanks for the explanation!
    I know there were problems and some delays due to non-payment of contractors and some got solved. But I haven't been following the issues lately so I don't know and cannot give you the details.

--------------------------------------------------

lebanese1

Legendary Member
    I know there were problems and some delays due to non-payment of contractors and some got solved. But I haven't been following the issues lately so I don't know and cannot give you the details.

So the construction of all 3 power plants resumed?

Simple logic really; 100% of the people pay their electricity bill means 100% of the people get electricity, the only reason we don't get electricity 24/7 is because you need a military convoi to enter dahie to get whatever is owed from there and even then 99.99% of the time, they come out empty handed, so thats kinda equals out are high paying % and drags us down, this should be done in every district, let whoever refuses to pay his bills live in darkness without forcing us to live it with him.

lebanese1

Legendary Member

And please inform the FPM leadership through your connections that they owe us (the supporters) information and explanations regarding the progress of their projects especially oil and electricity which they have been TOTALLY quiet about since the formation of the government. We have the right to know why a battle was done to retain the energy portfolio if fpm will shut their mouth regarding the projects obstruction and the zero perceived (by the public) achievements in this ministry. We are not sheep...

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Simple logic really; 100% of the people pay their electricity bill means 100% of the people get electricity, the only reason we don't get electricity 24/7 is because you need a military convoi to enter dahie to get whatever is owed from there and even then 99.99% of the time, they come out empty handed, so thats kinda equals out are high paying % and drags us down, this should be done in every district, let whoever refuses to pay his bills live in darkness without forcing us to live it with him.
    simple logic is used by simple minds

Danny Z

Legendary Member
    Simple logic is used by great minds looking to get through to simple ones.
    I gave you more than you deserve, I called you simple mind while you have no mind at all. If you could think you'd support what you say with data. You wouldn't post and run away every time somebody asks you a question and corners you. Now where is your proof to your claims. Maybe Bandar can help you work together ya birds of the same feather

Jo

Administrator
    Master Penguin
    It seems the coverage now in Zahle is 24/7.

Anyone has more details about the average bill ?